Classic Soul At Venues

Since I've been out of the loop on the scene over the past couple of years I've still kept my hand in with the records, wheeling,dealing buying, selling and so it goes, where some of the big Northern things have moved on from the collection, I've been picking up some classic albums and quality classic 60's soul 45's stuff which either I used to have or passed by years ago, all the good Chuck Jackson's, Impressions, Deon Jackson's, Nella Dodds etc. etc. was wondering if anyone is playing this kind of spot at the venues these day's perhaps in the mix of the bigger allnighters? you forget just how good some of these records are, I'm not talking about the well established big Northern oldies I'm talking about I guess the club soul stuff which many of us grew up on, Little Hank, Mirwood titles, Jamo Thomas, Rex Garvin etc. etc. I'm just curious to know if this type of spot would work now, something like the original 6T's West Hampstead playlists pre 100 Club, back to basics but the quality stuff, just put on The Impressions - Can't Satisfy, You've Been Cheating for example and they still cut the mustard in my book.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Mark,

Been playing the likes of the Impressions, Rex Garvin and classic and general 60's "Club Soul" for years down Essex way mate.

Appears the Mod element of the soul scene have never let it go but as soon as you use the word "Mod" it seems to put off some of the more elitists guys and gals.

Trouble with that is.....narrow mindedness and/or ignorance can leave you missing out on some top quality stuff. Open minds and open ears can benefit everyone. Even the most die hard staunch Northern Souler!

The scene started from these musical roots originally and we shouldn't forget them as I've said on here before but on another thread.

Anyway....'nuff of me ranting.

Dig yer old stuff out boys and girls and enjoy like you used too!

It may rekindle that spark that may be fading as it was in me a while back.

(Especially seems to be the case as we all get a little older and maybe a little bit disillusioned with the scene nowday's.)

ATB

Eddie

Edited by eddiep
Social source share

We always try to include a really wide mix of music at Genuine soul, from club classics to underplayed and top 100 oldies, the DJ's we've used reflect this, from Pete Roberts through Maria and Carl Willingham, although this mix of music has had its problems, at times. Its a policy we aim to continue with regaurdless. Thing is the so many 'rare' people can be ignorant of some of the lesser know club sounds, but just lump them together as oldies. and it goes without saying that loads of the oldies crowd instantly hate anything played since wigan, then go and dance to tony Galla, saying remember this...........

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert