Masterkeys On Sport / Master Keys On Co-Op

Dean

Just enjoying the Masterkeys - If You Haven't Got Love / Weak and Broken Hearted (notice this is a Willie Mitchell prod) on Sport Records. Got to thinking is this the same group who recorded I Done Got On The Right Road on Co-Op, not really sure if that's credited to Masterkeys or Master Keys. Barrie had one a few month ago on his A45 list, Killa plays one out, but don't see the Co-Op one very often so can't recall.

Just an idle thought - any info?

post-5677-0-89761800-1294700801_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-80934100-1294700864_thumb.jp

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Thanks for helping the curious.

Sounds much closer to Tears (on givhan). The givhan's an odd one isn't it. Again no label credits and strangely the 3 discs having the same catalogue number 108 (Rodger Wade, Leonard Pierce and Master Keys). Notice it's Master Keys on the givhan too rather than Masterkeys, but definitely sounding right.

Thanks again for the info. Dean

Social source share

There are a few things on Sport with Willie Mitchell productions, always thought of the label as a Detroit one, anyone know the connection.

its certainly not the typical hi sound I associate with willie mitchell but I like the ballad side "if you haven't got love"

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Dave Turner

There are a few things on Sport with Willie Mitchell productions, always thought of the label as a Detroit one, anyone know the connection.

Dave, I know this is an old thread from a couple of years ago :rolleyes: but I notice the Sport label design is pretty much the same as Sir-Rah which also has Willie Mitchell material ie Al Gardner, Jim Coleman etc. so obviously of the same family. You'll find some of the answer here in the write up re the "Northern Souljers Meets Hi Rhythm" CD which also has Don Bryant demo cuts of Al Gardner's "Just A Touch of Your Hand", "Jim Coleman's "Cloudy Days" and Masterkeys "Weak & Broken Hearted"

https://blackgrooves....meet-hi-rhythm/

:thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

It wasnt just an artist's one way trip to Memphis. Some of this stuff is very complex even within individual recordings. Willie Mitchell arranged, played and produced in Detroit itself on some releases. The Appreciations' Sport recordings were a complex mix of where the instrumentation was laid down, where the vocals were added and where final mixing occurred, with the processes involving North Carolina, Nashville, Memphis and Detroit depending on the track.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert