Phil-L-A-Of Soul Question

Just got a record before i bought it i asked if it was original and on vinyl cause i have always thought the early copys are vinyl happenss i've been sent styrene with smaller writing and paper label, before i send back would like some clarification.

Ta Ken

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just got a record before i bought it i asked if it was original and on vinyl cause i have always thought the early copys are vinyl happenss i've been sent styrene with smaller writing and paper label, before i send back would like some clarification.

Ta Ken

Anybody ?

Social source share

Ken, all the early Phil-LA stuff I got are on vinyl which one ya got? it aint Afreda Brockington is it? that deffo re-issued on styrene

steve

Cheers Steve thought so

Social source share

I always thought the re-issue of Alfreda Brockington had a different and smaller font, but I could be wrong.

Oops, miss read yes small font and no address at the bottom

Social source share

I got the first one, have had the demo before and seen a issue the same.

300486763417.jpg

This is the one i thought i was getting, cheap but hey.

Thats the first Stock Copy (albeit D-J Stamped) that I have seen Ken.

My copy has had the DJ markings removed with an eraser :thumbup:

Neither DEMO or Stock Copy (Original) are easy.

Social source share

Thats the first Stock Copy (albeit D-J Stamped) that I have seen Ken.

My copy has had the DJ markings removed with an eraser :thumbup:

Neither DEMO or Stock Copy (Original) are easy.

Didn't think they where that hard, would have been nice to replace my stolen demo though.biggrin.gif

Social source share

Didn't think they where that hard, would have been nice to replace my stolen demo though.biggrin.gif

It sometimes happens with certain titles, Right Place, Right Time to find a copy.

Then you hear that someone else has seen multiple copies over the years.

In my experience both DEMO & Stock Copy have remained elusive apart from the copy I bought.

Social source share

It sometimes happens with certain titles, Right Place, Right Time to find a copy.

Then you hear that someone else has seen multiple copies over the years.

In my experience both DEMO & Stock Copy have remained elusive apart from the copy I bought.

the demo was in the 'sales' section very recently ... but it ain't no more :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

=====================================================================================================

This one cost me £25 off eBay a year or so back....it's on vinyl and I was the only bidder!!! (Books at £40 in John Manship's 5th Edition on the original vinyl 1st issue)

I hesitantly played it at Warwick and it drew serious applause!!!!:thumbsup:

, its one of those that you don't really look for until you see it, then you remember how good it is.

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share

=====================================================================================================

This one cost me £25 off eBay a year or so back....it's on vinyl and I was the only bidder!!! (Books at £40 in John Manship's 5th Edition on the original vinyl 1st issue)

I hesitantly played it at Warwick and it drew serious applause!!!!:thumbsup:

The one i had stolen had a tick on just like that one huh.gif i always did alright with it when i played it out, goes a bit daft in the middle biggrin.gif

alfreda brockington - chained and bound - phil la of soul

Social source share

Ken, all the early Phil-LA stuff I got are on vinyl which one ya got? it aint Afreda Brockington is it? that deffo re-issued on styrene

steve

Actually Jamie/Guyden is still going and now owned by the son of the founder, Frank Lipsius. I recently bumped into him and his wife in London and he's a lovely guy. All those Phil LA represses are legit by the way - he still does 7" singles - he gave me a copy of The Springers and an archive listing that's got tons of stuff I didn't know in there. It makes me think that there's still some killers to be found in that catalogue but we'll probably have to dig 'em up first!

That Alfreda Brockington has been around as long as I can remember but it never broke big as far as I know. Great record!

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Social source share

When would this have been first played out then Ian?

Not one that I can remember from the 70s

I don't think I ever actually heard it played out but I can remember both Alfreda Brockington and "Chained & Bound" being listed in some Blues & Soul ads for Northern clubs at the time circa '73-'75 and it was on a few lists. It used to be in a few collectors boxes back then but never really went beyond that.

Ian D :D

Social source share

I don't think I ever actually heard it played out but I can remember both Alfreda Brockington and "Chained & Bound" being listed in some Blues & Soul ads for Northern clubs at the time circa '73-'75 and it was on a few lists. It used to be in a few collectors boxes back then but never really went beyond that.

Ian D :D

I'll stick me flag in the soil then on this, played at the 100club more than once by me and various other places biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ta Ken

It Looks Like The Second Press!! :D

Social source share

I'll stick me flag in the soil then on this, played at the 100club more than once by me and various other places biggrin.gif

i used to play it lots in local club sets during the early 80's, but i guess a lot more of the 'not known' dj's could have been doing the same thing?

Social source share

i used to play it lots in local club sets during the early 80's, but i guess a lot more of the 'not known' dj's could have been doing the same thing?

Yeh but 100club allnighter is a bit diferent, national not local biggrin.gif

Social source share

In the 60s they used vinyl. Styrene only came in for Phil La in the mid 70s, so the reissues and the later stuff like Paradise is on styrene. I have all the releases I think so can say this with some conviction. :(

Just dug out FANTASTIC JOHNNY C - Don't depend on me W/D which is stamped FRANKFORD / WAYNE as is on styrene WEST COAST the year 1973 .s also ERNESTINE EADY lets talk it over YELLOW ISSUE is styrene BUT the W/Ds are vinyl sure of it .:thumbsup:

Social source share

always thought the styrene yellows were not cosha cos they just didn't look cosha, if you know what i mean. Got a benny sigler who you gonna turn to??

P :rolleyes:

i am answering my own question now, can see it is a 2nd press on JMs site

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the font size and vinyl.v.styrene the other obvious tell tale sign of a PHIL LA repress is the release number - it's suffixed with an R!

So in this case PH-ABR-1-R

Incidentally, I love the way they always used the artist name in the release number.

All this talk of "Chained And Bound" but the real action is on the B side. You can't dance to it but "I'll Wait For You" has to be one of the greatest soul records ever.

I was a bit miffed when I picked up an original issue to find that the B side seems to run 10-20 seconds shorter than the one that's on Sir Shambling. Not a lot of difference you might think but

that extra few seocnds rounds the song off better I think. So I'm guessing the longer version is on the repress and I will have to buy that too now!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert