Worst Cd Compilation

• Replies 75
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest ShaneH

Just picked up a CD called 'Way with the girls'. Only 4 or 5 tracks with any right to be classed as soul, let alone Northern Soul.

Whats your worst 'Northern Compilation CD'

Ed

link

not meant to be a northern cd though is it?

If you like 4 or 5 on a compo i would say it was a winner to be honest. I love those girl group compos. but i like girl groups so i will do :(

Shane

Social source share

Crivens! I've said this before, but the worst one has got to be that 'It'll Never Be Over' jobby. 'New Soul for a new Millenium' my harris!

It should be renamed 'Bontempi Soul For Supermarkets'

It is so God damn awful the people who compiled/released this abhoration should hang their heads in shame forever.

It was a despicable act in the name of Soul.

Shame on you!

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :angry:

Social source share

Worst ones are the cd's with re recorded versions of original tracks, usually see the name Levine in the production credits.

link

Completely agree Ian! Paid £3.99 for one out of HMV a few years ago - even at that price, I felt robbed.

Oh well, let's play the first track.......think I'll have a dance to it....a 1, a 2, a 1-2-3-4.........

wanker.gif :graywanker: wanker.gif :graywanker: wanker.gif :graywanker: wanker.gif :graywanker:

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Bought from HMV a double CD with usual Wigan fodder on + Francis Nero - Footsteps track.

I missed the Francis Nero track when it was issued, but was lucky enough to catch her doing a PA in my local pub!

Well, everytrack had been re-recorded & was utter shite.

The worst was probably Carl Carlton - Competition Ain't Nothing.

Despite featuring in the track listing the Francis Nero track was not on the CD

Col.

Ian Levine has left the building.

Social source share

Guest rachel

not meant to be a northern cd though is it?

If you like 4 or 5 on a compo i would say it was a winner to be honest. I love those girl group compos. but i like girl groups so i will do  :(

Shane

link

Actually it does say "Thirty Northern Soul Girl Group Classics" on it :yes: Though inside it describes them as "from Northern Soul to Wall of Sound"... :( Think quite a few on there have had northern scene plays though. Not listened to it for a while but sure I liked at least half of the tracks when I got it... then again I like girl groups too :yes:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Actually it does say "Thirty Northern Soul Girl Group Classics" on it  :yes: Though inside it describes them as "from Northern Soul to Wall of Sound"...  :( Think quite a few on there have had northern scene plays though. Not listened to it for a while but sure I liked at least half of the tracks when I got it... then again I like girl groups too  :(

link

i stand corrected!

I think i am thinking of another series of girl group cds. :yes:

Shane

Social source share

Guest rachel

i stand corrected!

I think i am thinking of another series of girl group cds.  :(

Shane

link

"Where The Girls Are"? (arranged by label groups, up to about volume 6 or 7 now I think).

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

"Where The Girls Are"? (arranged by label groups, up to about volume 6 or 7 now I think).

link

thats the ones rachel :(

some great stuff on them. some crap as well :(

Shane

Social source share

Actually it does say "Thirty Northern Soul Girl Group Classics" on it  :yes: Though inside it describes them as "from Northern Soul to Wall of Sound"...  :( Think quite a few on there have had northern scene plays though. Not listened to it for a while but sure I liked at least half of the tracks when I got it... then again I like girl groups too  :(

link

Is that the one that starts off with The Lornettes Rach?

Social source share

This 2003 K Tel diabolical effort has to be one of the worst ever for the cover design alone , and yes all the tracks have been re-mastered.Should have been called This is not Northern Soul. Was 99p at any good post office.

post-1363-1124296268_thumb.jpg

Edited by CRAIG W
Social source share

Guest rachel

Is that the one that starts off with The Lornettes Rach?

link

Ends with it...

1. You will never get away - Maye, Cholli

2. Here come the heartaches - Lovells

3. I'm a sad girl - Johnson, Deena

4. If you can stand me - Lewis, Tamala

5. Thrills and chills - Smith, Helene

6. I feel strange - Wonderettes

7. Lost without your love - Carlettes

8. Now that I found you baby - Mirettes

9. It's over - Lindsay, Terry

10. It's all over - Gee's

11. Why weren't you there - Lindsay, Thelma

12. Step aside baby - Lollipops

13. It happens every day - Persianettes

14. Source of love - Marie, Gina

15. Sweet sweet love - Durettes

16. Pretty boy - Hall, Dora

17. Big man - Starr, Karen

18. Ain't gonna hurt my pride - Judi & The Affections

19. You're the guy - Argie & The Arketts

20. There's something the matter - Cynthia & The Imaginations

21. Wonderful one - Lindsey, Theresa

22. My my sweet love - Lee, Barbara

23. If you love me (show me) - Monique

24. Sugar boy - Charmettes

25. Don't cha tell nobody - Vont Claires

26. Don't cry - Irma & The Larks

27. My fault - Passionettes

28. Try my love - Sequins

29. How can I get to you - Soul, Sharon

30. His way with the girls - Lornettes

Social source share

Ends with it...

1. You will never get away - Maye, Cholli

2. Here come the heartaches - Lovells

3. I'm a sad girl - Johnson, Deena

4. If you can stand me - Lewis, Tamala

5. Thrills and chills - Smith, Helene

6. I feel strange - Wonderettes

7. Lost without your love - Carlettes

8. Now that I found you baby - Mirettes

9. It's over - Lindsay, Terry

10. It's all over - Gee's

11. Why weren't you there - Lindsay, Thelma

12. Step aside baby - Lollipops

13. It happens every day - Persianettes

14. Source of love - Marie, Gina

15. Sweet sweet love - Durettes

16. Pretty boy - Hall, Dora

17. Big man - Starr, Karen

18. Ain't gonna hurt my pride - Judi & The Affections

19. You're the guy - Argie & The Arketts

20. There's something the matter - Cynthia & The Imaginations

21. Wonderful one - Lindsey, Theresa

22. My my sweet love - Lee, Barbara

23. If you love me (show me) - Monique

24. Sugar boy - Charmettes

25. Don't cha tell nobody - Vont Claires

26. Don't cry - Irma & The Larks

27. My fault - Passionettes

28. Try my love - Sequins

29. How can I get to you - Soul, Sharon

30. His way with the girls - Lornettes

link

There's bugger all to complain about there - the Monique track is worth the price on it's own plus Sharon Soul, Passionettes, Argie & The ARkettes (phenomenal record), Thelma Lindsay, Lovelles, Wonderettes...it's a pretty good cd - 7 out of 10 anyway

Social source share

Guest rachel

There's bugger all to complain about there - the Monique track is worth the price on it's own plus Sharon Soul, Passionettes, Argie & The ARkettes (phenomenal record), Thelma Lindsay, Lovelles, Wonderettes...it's a pretty good cd - 7 out of 10 anyway

link

Yeah I just dug it out and played it for the first time in a couple of years, not into the girly sound quite as much as I was then but still really enjoyed most of it, so thanks to Tomangoes for the reminder :( But hey if it's not your cup of tea then it just isn't... stick it on ebay :(

Social source share

One that springs to mind is the 'Love slave vol 2' all though its has a few really good records on there, the way its put together is neither hear nor there.....usually these 'comps' are really good but this one lacked the usual quality IMHO of course :(

Social source share

Anyone who REALLY likes Girl Group sounds ought to try and get hold of a series put out by the Belgian label Marginal in the 90's - Girls Girls Girls. There are at least 11 volumes, maybe more, they weren't around for long and to be honest, I never saw another set apart from mine. Material ranges from Northern to pocorn, teenage angst stuff, out and out 60's pop, but all in all a brilliant set and I found some cracking northern things on these and compiled them way before they got any official release (if any did!)

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

How about 'Here Comes The Night Owl'? Taken i think from that bloody dvd set.

Absolute crap. I appreiate its probably put money into the poskets of artists that need it, but i feel violated.

Social source share

The Cleethorpes Story

Sorry but this was such a let down, of all the tunes they could of picked, very poorly picked IMO Think ive only played it once or twice

How can you have a cleethorpes story CD and not have So is the sun on it, A record that they gave away at the 1st Anerversery, and to add insult to injury it appers on a wigan CD

Carnt even remember whats on it , more of a list of what should of been on it

Social source share

Very few CD's have more than 4 - 5 good tracks out of 25 or 30, most not even that. This is the main reason I stopped buying CD's long ago, most are simply not good enough to bother with. When the various companies get their acts together and start putting out high quality northern/rare soul compilations, I will buy them. I have also found this lack of quality to be a very major problem with beginners on the scene, they go out and buy CD's and get used to all the rubbish that is on them, indeed I tell most beginners to simply avoid most CD's and listen to ones I put together instead. WHY, OH WHY are most (not all, but the vast majority) commercially available CD's so poor? :(

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Very few CD's have more than 4 - 5 good tracks out of 25 or 30, most not even that. This is the main reason I stopped buying CD's long ago, most are simply not good enough to bother with. When the various companies get their acts together and start putting out high quality northern/rare soul compilations, I will buy them. I have also found this lack of quality to be a very major problem with beginners on the scene, they go out and buy CD's and get used to all the rubbish that is on them, indeed I tell most beginners to simply avoid most CD's and listen to ones I put together instead. WHY, OH WHY are most (not all, but the vast majority) commercially available CD's so poor? ph34r.gif

link

i reckon the licensing rights etc has an impact on compilations. Some tunes must be impossible to get a green light for various reasons. hence the 'fillers'.

Perhaps someone like Ady or Kev Roberts can fill us in.

Shane

Social source share

Worst ones are the cd's with re recorded versions of original tracks, usually see the name Levine in the production credits.

link

Especially this one that I've got! ph34r.gif

post-1182-1124319933_thumb.jpg

post-1182-1124319954_thumb.jpg

This 2003 K Tel diabolical effort has to be one of the worst ever for the cover design alone , and yes all the tracks have been re-mastered.Should have been called This is not Northern Soul. Was 99p at any good post office.

link

I saw this for sale in Poundland York, last month! :(

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

The Cleethorpes Story

Sorry but this was such a let down, of all the tunes they could of picked, very poorly picked IMO Think ive only played it once or twice

How can you have a cleethorpes story CD and not have So is the sun on it, A record that they gave away at the 1st Anerversery, and to add insult to injury it appers on a wigan CD

Carnt even remember whats on it , more of a list of what should of been on it

link

Can think of better records gave away at cleethorpes,dont turn your back on me by him that does dearly beloved,how much are these now £200+ maybe?

Social source share

Is there enough room on the server for PaulB's reply to this thread.

There certainly is some crap out there, but look at the good work Ady puts in, and some of the Goldmine lable and venue compilations have been well put together.

Overall I'd estimate 30% fine to good, 70% crap.

Even the Motown ones have some inexplicable choices on them.

Social source share

Guest rachel

indeed I tell most beginners to simply avoid most CD's and listen to ones I put together instead.

link

Hmmm I think this is just a secret plan to create lots of Christian clones who will take over the soul scene and ban anything white or not up to certain exacting standards whistling.gif:tumbleweed3:

Social source share

indeed I tell most beginners to simply avoid most CD's and listen to ones I put together instead. WHY, OH WHY are most (not all, but the vast majority) commercially available CD's so poor? :tumbleweed3:

link

Christian

If you did sleeve notes, I doubt there'd be a papermill in Scandanavia that could cope mate. whistling.gif:thumbup::lol::lol::P:D

Hammy

Social source share

The worst I have are the two Soul For Sale CD collections on (can't remember for sure) SEQUEL ?

Grim.

Hammy

link

Oo-er, I think I may have done the sleeve notes for those...and helped compile them...but there was only the labels Pye and Piccadilly to select from!

Social source share

Oo-er, I think I may have done the sleeve notes for those...and helped compile them...but there was only the labels Pye and Piccadilly to select from!

link

There's some crackin tracks on both of them. They just happen to be British.

:tumbleweed3:

Social source share

Very few CD's have more than 4 - 5 good tracks out of 25 or 30, most not even that. This is the main reason I stopped buying CD's long ago, most are simply not good enough to bother with. When the various companies get their acts together and start putting out high quality northern/rare soul compilations, I will buy them. I have also found this lack of quality to be a very major problem with beginners on the scene, they go out and buy CD's and get used to all the rubbish that is on them, indeed I tell most beginners to simply avoid most CD's and listen to ones I put together instead. WHY, OH WHY are most (not all, but the vast majority) commercially available CD's so poor? :tumbleweed3:

link

Any legal compilation is limited by what can be licenced to go on it. It can be limited by budget-some companies want ridiculous amounts of money for useage of a track which make it commercially unviable-or simply that for many reasons a track is not available full stop.

A bootleg CD with poor tracks is inexcusable. By it's very nature it can use whatever it likes because it doesn't have to pay for it or go through any issues of legal ownership ect. Thats why it's easy to do a home CD - you have no limits.

Universal do fantastic compilations of Motown- Sony's three (four) CD's of Columbia label output are fantastic - the quality of Kent CD releases is second to none. Suss'd are releasing the Salsoul catalogue and are without fault. And so on and so on.

Get the sand out of your ears Christian and buy some of the decent stuff that's around (They're ALL less that the price of most half decent Northern 45's), then you can tell 'the beginners' how good they are. It's the only way they'll get to hear all the unreleased tracks that are constantly appearing on these compilations. It's the only way they'll get great informative sleeve notes and pictures. And it's also the only way the whole thing keeps going and continues to stay out of the unhealthy atmosphere of a spotty teenaged minded adult sweating away in his bedroom wanking over his own records.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Well put Simon. There's plenty of very good compilation CDs out there. It's slowed down a bit during the last 4 years or so but I guess that's inevitable. They've helped me hear all sorts of great songs that I would never have done otherwise. Grapevine are putting out some marvelous stuff. There are some rubbish ones too, as mentioned above, but it's niot difficult to suss them out. Btw, I thought The Cleethorpes Story Cd was very good. I never went, so I can't comment if it did the venue justice but musically the CD stands up imo.

Social source share

Well put Simon. There's plenty of very good compilation CDs out there. It's slowed down a bit during the last 4 years or so but I guess that's inevitable. They've helped me hear all sorts of great songs that I would never have done otherwise. Grapevine are putting out some marvelous stuff. There are some rubbish ones too, as mentioned above, but it's niot difficult to suss them out. Btw, I thought The Cleethorpes Story Cd was very good. I never went, so I can't comment if it did the venue justice but musically the CD stands up imo.

link

always on lookout for views and news on new cd releases for the "articles" section on here....

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?opt...onid=1&Itemid=0

need to be logged in via frontpage

Social source share

Christian

If you did sleeve notes, I doubt there'd be a papermill in Scandanavia that could cope mate.  ranting_1.gif   :shades:   :lol:   :lol:   wink.gif   wink.gif

Hammy

link

In case you don't know it Sweden and Finland are probably Europe's (Russia excluded) leading producers and exporters of wood, pulp and paper, so I think it might work. :D

Social source share

Any legal compilation is limited by what can be licenced to go on it. It can be limited by budget-some companies want ridiculous amounts of money for useage of a track which make it commercially unviable-or simply that for many reasons a track is not available full stop.

A bootleg CD with poor tracks is inexcusable. By it's very nature it can use whatever it likes because it doesn't have to pay for it or go through any issues of legal ownership ect. Thats why it's easy to do a home CD - you have no limits.

Universal do fantastic compilations of Motown- Sony's three (four) CD's of Columbia label output are fantastic - the quality of Kent CD releases is second to none. Suss'd are releasing the Salsoul catalogue and are without fault. And so on and so on.

Get the sand out of your ears Christian and buy some of the decent stuff that's around (They're ALL less that the price of most half decent Northern 45's), then you can tell 'the beginners' how good they are. It's the only way they'll get to hear all the unreleased tracks that are constantly appearing on these compilations. It's the only way they'll get great informative sleeve notes and pictures. And it's also the only way the whole thing keeps going and continues to stay out of the unhealthy atmosphere of a spotty teenaged minded adult sweating away in his bedroom wanking over his own records.

:shades:

link

I know there are some good label compilations and so on, but what I was mainly thinking of was compilations of good northern, and not unissued stuff. Some of the recent Grapevines seem very good and there are others, but they are not in a majority. A beginner with a superficial interest is not helped by a CD with 3 or 4 decent northern tracks, 10 poor tracks, 7 mediocre ones and 6 unissued oddities, don't you agree? If anything it will put them off, and give them the wrong impression of what northern/rare soul is all bout. I know about the legal limitations but I still feel that some better CD's could be made, but I guess it is a case of stretching out what good stuff you have to the max for commercial reasons. Why put all the good ones on one CD when you can spread them out over 6 - 8 CD's and sell 6 - 8 releases instead of just one? Am I too cynical? ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Am I too cynical? ranting_1.gif

link

Personally I wouldn't say you were cynical, no.

There probably is a word for what you are (maybe more than one) but I don't know what it is. :shades:

Social source share

Personally I wouldn't say you were cynical, no.

There probably is a word for what you are (maybe more than one) but I don't know what it is. ranting_1.gif

link

Watch it now...

Social source share

Watch it now...

link

No offence meant. I will "watch it now"

:shades::lol:

You just seem confused as your posts seem to contradict each other and the criteria changed. Personally I think there are far more good compilations than bad ones if you take the time to find out.

Maybe we just have more access to them here in the UK, although a quick look at the internet says they are available world wide.

If you need more recommendations Christian I'm sure we can come up with plenty between us?

So maybe the word I'm looking for is "confused"? ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert