Wally Coco - Message To Society

• Replies 133
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:thumbsup:

OUT OF THE THOUSANDS OF RECORDS, ME AND DAVE HAVE INFLICTED ON OUR OLD MUM DOWN THE YEARS, AND WE ARE STILL INFLICTING :thumbsup: THIS IS THE ONLY RECORD I CAN RECALL HER SAYING, WHAT WAS THAT RUBBISH, THAT'S THE WORST I EVER HEARD.......OUR EXPLANATION THAT....BUT MAM IT;S ON BROWN TURBO AND IT ONLY COST US A FIVER, DIDN'T SEEM TO WASH WITH HER :lol::yes:

BRI PINCH

Ha ha.. it was always James Fountain, that our Mum used to swear at when Me and jordi played it.......She loves Wally Coco though :lol:

Social source share

""Ton Of Dynamite" - Frankie 'Loveman' Crocker

OUT OF THE THOUSANDS OF RECORDS, ME AND DAVE HAVE INFLICTED ON OUR OLD MUM DOWN THE YEARS, AND WE ARE STILL INFLICTING :lol: THIS IS THE ONLY RECORD I CAN RECALL HER SAYING, WHAT WAS THAT RUBBISH, THAT'S THE WORST I EVER HEARD.......OUR EXPLANATION THAT....BUT MAM IT;S ON BROWN TURBO AND IT ONLY COST US A FIVER, DIDN'T SEEM TO WASH WITH HER :thumbsup::yes:

BRI PINCH

Brown Turbo Bri? New one on me mate. I had one of the original scarlet ones but brown........? :lol:

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Ha ha.. it was always James Fountain, that our Mum used to swear at when Me and jordi played it.......She loves Wally Coco though :lol:

Thought it was Cadburys coco Dave. :lol:

Was gonna post up before that I thought you were one of the 1st on the soul scene in the UK to play Wally Coco,but knowing how modest you are,you prob wouldn't mention it.

I say that because when i 1st heard about it,i googled it and it always showed one of your play lists.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Never mind all this, it's about time we had an 'East coast connection' reactivation, feckin great track, i play it out whenever i get a chance, i've got a couple of the tracks that are sampled (probably wrong word that...) on there too...it was given away free at the 'Summer in the parks' festival in the U.S. at some point in the 70's wasn't it? I've had two copies of this, one was much thicker vinyl than the other, i'm sure any minute somebody is gonna tell me - in great detail - why!

Ste.

Social source share

Absolutely! thumbsup.gif

I know it's going off on a tangent but i wonder if we've ever had a thread naming records that have used the "tighten up" in some way ,shape or form??

Inadvertantly i think ,although Wally Coco does'nt owe any success to the Tighten up, i think it's purely because it has the same sort of appeal to the dancefloor ,that makes it a winner.

I know it is'nt the best vocal ,but isnt that why most of us love this music ...because of it's rawness and not necessarilly for polished performances ?

Getting back to the price thing..i do recall a certain missgoldie ,telling us that the £1000 price tag was too high at the time ,and that if you waited long enough ,the price would settle :thumbsup:

That last copy on ebay as far as im aware ,did not get the $1000 price and it was'nt for the want of tryng ,as i seem to recall the seller constantly reminding us in the ebay sales section ,how it only had so long to run.....and again ...and again....a very nervous seller indeed!

Come to think of it ,i remember asking Jason Perllmutter about it ,and asking why it's price was so high ,compared to the red copy of Clay Brown??

Think i've now seen as many W.Coco's as i've seen Clay Brown's on the red florentine label.

Are there any other florentines out there apart from this and the two Clay Brown's ?? a fascinating label im sure :lol:

Social source share

Wally Coco is an ALLNIGHTER record.............like many tunes on our scene, listening at home, can just highlight any imperfections, in the cold light of day through ya MP3 player it sounds a bit weak & not the most soulful of vocals.................but at 4am in the morning, sweatin' in the pitch black with a few hundred other like minded souls, this nasty fcker takes on a whole new identity altogether, screaming outta the bins of a huge system & pinning ya to the back wall........it stomps like a mutha to the beat of your heart & it never lets up..................I think we used to call it

Northern Soul.............as Mr Fortnum used to say 'Shootin' Thu'........ WHoOoOoOoOsssshhhhh !!! :thumbsup:

Russ

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Wally Coco is an ALLNIGHTER record.............like many tunes on our scene, listening at home, can just highlight any imperfections, in the cold light of day through ya MP3 player it sounds a bit weak & not the most soulful of vocals.................but at 4am in the morning, sweatin' in the pitch black with a few hundred other like minded souls, this nasty fcker takes on a whole new identity altogether, screaming outta the bins of a huge system & pinning ya to the back wall........it stomps like a mutha to the beat of your heart & it never lets up..................I think we used to call it

Northern Soul.............as Mr Fortnum used to say 'Shootin' Thu'........ WHoOoOoOoOsssshhhhh !!! :thumbsup:

Russ

Spot on!!

Ste.

Social source share

Russ

A class record is a class record wherever you hear it. I hear Wally Coco played out at niters and it sounds as pants there as it does at home.

Therefore I can only assume the above reaction has something to do with artificial assistance :lol:

Social source share

A class record is a class record wherever you hear it. I hear Wally Coco played out at niters and it sounds as pants there as it does at home.

Therefore I can only assume the above reaction has something to do with artificial assistance :lol:

Ha ha, I agree Joan...:lol:

I think it is very poor quality funk :thumbsup:

Social source share

Russ

The dance floor is i guess a sterling litmus test,when sam played it at the stables it filled the floor more than any other 45 played that nite - four dynamics,eddie parker etc.. you name it co co out did it !of course it ain't the greatest soul record but since when has the northern scene been a soul scene ? it would have been finnished years ago if it depended on real soul music ... imo ... personally i'm just grateful that new things are still filtering through whether they hit the spot for me or not,take the feel good dance vibe away and we'll all be "shootin' thru " classic mr fortnum !

SEE YOU ALL AT THE WILTON !

Social source share

I think Russ is right, does sound like something that would sound great played out loud, the intro is the killer, you can see why there'd be a rush to the dancefloor on hearing it but then it's all downhill as it rapidly becomes boring. Heard a lot worse but compared to it's ancestors of the same ilk (Prince George etc) it's nowhere near as good. Still good...but not great

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Northern Soul.............as Mr Fortnum used to say 'Shootin' Thu'........ WHoOoOoOoOsssshhhhh !!! :lol:

Russ

high russ happy new year...........spot on post.............nighter tune all the way at that time when you might be feeling a bit flatish BOSH on comes a tune like wally coco and bish ,bash bosh ya up and running again :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Therefore I can only assume the above reaction has something to do with artificial assistance :thumbsup:

artificial assistance?.........who's wearing a hearing aid??? come on spill the beans :lol: bet it,s that john mcclure fella :lol:

Social source share

I think it's a great record but there's hundreds out there with the similar sort of riffs......oh yes it's called Deep Funk.It seems northern deejays are getting on the deep funk bandwagon ten years too late and force feeding it on the northern soul scene.A few of these type of records aren't bad but there's deejays who play whole sets of it.I'ts an Emperors new clothes scenario.It was/is still being tried with latino lowrider/doo wop sounds and the latin soul thing.It seems people will play anything to avoid the traditional sounding northern records.I'm waiting for The Damned/Pistols etc to be touted as the new thing then I'm selling it as northern punk. Think I might start spinning this........he's a proper northern soul

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I think it's a great record but there's hundreds out there with the similar sort of riffs......oh yes it's called Deep Funk.It seems northern deejays are getting on the deep funk bandwagon ten years too late and force feeding it on the northern soul scene.A few of these type of records aren't bad but there's deejays who play whole sets of it.I'ts an Emperors new clothes scenario.It was/is still being tried with latino lowrider/doo wop sounds and the latin soul thing.It seems people will play anything to avoid the traditional sounding northern records.I'm waiting for The Damned/Pistols etc to be touted as the new thing then I'm selling it as northern punk.

The scene has always had different sounds as far as i can remember..its just that some people are prepared to broaden their horizons and others ....don't

TOWANDA BARNES -YOU DON'T MEAN IT .. how long has this been around ??? and accepted by just about everyone who likes "Northern soul" ,surely this is funk orientated ??

It just happens that a lot of dj's are open-minded and like to experiment in their sets ..but on the other hand , i'd agree that a whole set of deep funk at a soul venue does'nt work ..but that could be said about anything ..doo wop ...70's modern ...cross-over etc etc .

Social source share

"I think it's a great record but there's hundreds out there with the similar sort of riffs......oh yes it's called Deep Funk.It seems northern deejays are getting on the deep funk bandwagon ten years too late and force feeding it on the northern soul scene.A few of these type of records aren't bad but there's deejays who play whole sets of it.I'ts an Emperors new clothes scenario.It was/is still being tried with latino lowrider/doo wop sounds and the latin soul thing.It seems people will play anything to avoid the traditional sounding northern records.I'm waiting for The Damned/Pistols etc to be touted as the new thing then I'm selling it as northern punk."

Yes we can just listen to exactly the same sixties northern sounds all night long again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again. What fun!

Social source share

Or we can listen to new and undiscovered sixties northern soul sounds alongside the underplayed instead of sounds from the funk scene/latin jazz scene/doo wop scenes/rockn roll/reggae scenes.I wouldnt go to a jazz/latin night and expect to hear Eddie Parker although i wouldn't be suprised to hear Charlie Parker

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Wally CoCo is an average record IMO but it is a great dancer and as said it fills the dance floors every time and that is what rules at the end of the day, the dance floor and the dancers.

As for then years too late getting into the deep funk? It probably wasn't deemed good enough back then a lot of this type of stuff but with the 60's drying up or getting less frequent in coming through and DJ's seeking other avenues to compliment their play lists then some of the more funkier stuff simply a natural progression I guess. If the unknown 60's was still around and plentiful then the funkier type records probably wouldn't be given a second listen apart from the real quality.

Social source share

I know but i'm interested to find out what sort of stuff is turning people off. A record that soulful regardless of its funkier leanings has to be nothing but a bonus to the scene.

I imagine we are talking Ricky Allen-esque things?

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

I know but i'm interested to find out what sort of stuff is turning people off. A record that soulful regardless of its funkier leanings has to be nothing but a bonus to the scene.

I imagine we are talking Ricky Allen-esque things?

I agree with you, records like Richard Marks is a bonus, a bloody good bonus but I don't think it gets the recognition that Wally gets even though it is much better, doesn't help that only really Andy Dyson playing it to a wider audience.

Plenty of the stuff leaning to the funky side going down well and getting accepted by the dancers but still see plenty clear or thin the floor, probably the more out and out funky stuff.

Social source share

From what i've seen most dancers seem to except even very funky records as long as there is enough soul in the lead vocal and backing. I've found dancefloors to be very open to these sorts of sounds. Look at all the Clay Brown stuff thats popular at the moment. 'Everybody's Talkin' top of the pile.

I expect the scene will take a bunch of these 45 on and spit out those that go 'too far' and retain the 'best' of the bunch, as it did with r&b.

Although to my mind the ones in that genre it held onto like Charles Sheffield, big Daddy Rogers were all the average cuts! wink.gif

Also the argument that the scene is following the deep funk one too late goes both ways. Lots of old r&b and soul biggies only just being played on that scene. Its not a competition, or at least its the wrong sort of thinking if it is.

'...is this being touted as northern souls future??'

I don't think anyone is touting any particular style as 'the future', just exploring other avenues of soulful black dance music. When all else fails theres always your Al Williams and Tamangoes.

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

'...is this being touted as northern souls future??'

I don't think anyone is touting any particular style as 'the future', just exploring other avenues of soulful black dance music. When all else fails theres always your Al Williams and Tamangoes.

The Northern/Rare Soul Scene has never been one style, it has always been varied and long may it continue...just as long as it is good :thumbsup:

Social source share

Reggae records?!

Pioneers

Lloyd Williams

Glenn Miller

Dobby Dobson

And as Pete already said Del Davis

Dont wanna dwell on it though cos it's another topic within a topic ......within a topic ..

At the end of the day .....some things have been deemed to fit into the soul scene ,so hats off to those who've pushed the boundaries and gave us the diversity!

If the world were full of sheep we'd never have even had a soul scene ...cos we'd all be listening to "top of the pops" and having pop music force fed to us.

Now where's that JIM REEVES lp my mam used to play all the time when i was a kid?? im sure it had a soulful track on it ....or was it the BILLY FURY :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

if it,s a good soul tune ,but not dance floor stuff..........so what.........it,s still good

if it,s a good soul tune and dance floor stuff.........great...............it,s still good

don,t matter what silly pidgeon hole it,s supposed to fit in...........soul,funk,r&b,gospel and even doo wop...........if it,s good......IT,S GOOD..........does it matter that the funk scene played it first NO!!............it,s not when you hear it,as long as you do. peggy cockbab

kindly shepherds........not soul...as such........gospel.........WHAT A GREAT DANCE TUNE!!!!!!!!!

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

The Shout 45 is great but the Tuska 45 is just run of the mill boring boogaloo.....is this being touted as northern souls future??. I think I will stick to Brief Encounter.....great northern styled funk and fast enough for the dancers.

Are you referring to Did You Ever Lose Something? For me that's one of the greatest underground soul records ever made, regardless of style or tempo.

Social source share

Richard marks is fookin brilliant, both the Tuska and Shout discs.

"innocent bystander" is bloody great as well but I can't remember the label :rolleyes:

I had the shout 45 but it just didn;t have the killer edge for me it lacked something ?

the tuskas are fantastic that must be one of the great small labels.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

'black is black, i want my baby back...'

It's not bad, but it's not as good as most of the cheap funky and gospel sounds around at the moment. The only thing it has over them is rarity, it makes me wonder if that's the only reason it's being given plays in main rooms at nighters and not the £10 stuff. Ann Sexton - It's All Over But the Shouting pisses all over Wally Coco, but you won't hear that played out at a big nighter I bet.

Social source share

"innocent bystander" is bloody great as well but I can't remember the label :rolleyes:

I had the shout 45 but it just didn;t have the killer edge for me it lacked something ?

the tuskas are fantastic that must be one of the great small labels.

Did you see the Richard Marks 45 on Note offered on ebay last year Dylan? Pretty good but the seller seemed to be under the impression that he should be getting $10,000 for it!

Back on topic I can't really see what the fuss is all about regarding Wally Coco. It's tended to wash over me a bit on the few occasions I've heard it out. It doesn't have anything like the personality of a 'mould-breaking' record for me personally. It certainly ain't no "Summer In The Parks". I guess it's helped by the fact that it's on a very interesting label.

Social source share

Did you see the Richard Marks 45 on Note offered on ebay last year Dylan? Pretty good but the seller seemed to be under the impression that he should be getting $10,000 for it!

Back on topic I can't really see what the fuss is all about regarding Wally Coco. It's tended to wash over me a bit on the few occasions I've heard it out. It doesn't have anything like the personality of a 'mould-breaking' record for me personally. It certainly ain't no "Summer In The Parks". I guess it's helped by the fact that it's on a very interesting label.

I completely missed the one on note. That is a new record to me i've never heard it or heard of it.

I was under a self imposed record ban for most of last year due to excessive child care fees but i'm watching ebay a bit again now.

Social source share

The Northern/Rare Soul Scene has never been one style, it has always been varied and long may it continue...just as long as it is good :rolleyes:

Seconded. Variety is the spice of life anyway. What other scene in the world would even play records from the likes of Wombat to Wally Cox to Wally Coco?

Well I've now listened to it a few more times and I still think it's got an infectious thunderous groove and tons of atmosphere.

It's just a great ghetto jam in the same tradition as "RnB Time", "Psychedlic Soul", "Do The Pearl Girl", "Ton Of Dynamite" etc, etc. A GREAT Nighter record to whack on when the place is popping surely?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

I guess ultimately there is levels within levels. Glen Miller to me is never a reggae record?! Does it make it reggae just because its from Jamaica?

I'm aware you can take anything too far but the day we start treating 45s like Glen Miller or Richard Marks as second rate is the day we should go and do something else with our time....

Room for it all if its good, as previously said?
Social source share

'black is black, i want my baby back...'

It's not bad, but it's not as good as most of the cheap funky and gospel sounds around at the moment. The only thing it has over them is rarity, it makes me wonder if that's the only reason it's being given plays in main rooms at nighters and not the £10 stuff. Ann Sexton - It's All Over But the Shouting pisses all over Wally Coco, but you won't hear that played out at a big nighter I bet.

Matt the nail on the head is hit matey!

Wally Coco is up my strasse but compared to Ann Sexton - It's All Over But the Shouting or some of the beauties by Candi Staton on Fame it is a pale comparison.

Plenty of 45's that need more exposure in this vein that hit the QC button!

Greg.

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

I agree with you, records like Richard Marks is a bonus, a bloody good bonus but I don't think it gets the recognition that Wally gets even though it is much better, doesn't help that only really Andy Dyson playing it to a wider audience.

Chalky when Andy comes down to Groovesville he'll find that a lot of people know it / dance to it, Why? because it's been played for a long while down here. Didn't he do 3 on Tuska? I'll have to check. Agree the Shout one is excellent as well. "Complete Opposites" "Innocent bystander" old Yarmouth spin, great and much better than Chuck Corby. The Note one is rare but not worth the price that guy wanted.....right I'll go back to sleep now.....oh except to say Wally Coco great on the dancefloor, poor on the headphones. STeve

*****Post corrected.......now that brain cells functioning properly again*****

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Chalky when Andy comes down to Groovesville he'll find that a lot of people know it / dance to it, Why? because it's been played for a long while down here. Didn't he do 3 on Tuska? I'll have to check. Agree the Shout one is excellent as well. "Complete Opposites" old Yarmouth spin, great and much better than Chuck Corby. The Note one is rare but not worth the price that guy wanted.....right I'll go back to sleep now.....oh except to say Wally Coco great on the dancefloor, poor on the headphones. STeve

4 and a half on tuska steve.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert