45cellar

• Replies 32
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

here's a couple that could easily fit in another live thread 'records you bought that are crap' (or something like that)

post-11139-0-37185900-1294087702_thumb.j post-11139-0-76086200-1294087721_thumb.j

brian hyland - the joker went wild - philips

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

that philips Double-Hit reissue series has the best US pressing of Bobby Hebb's "Sunny". I play that out when needed & keep the original filed as it has weird distortion/static, it's gotta be the pressing because I've had about 15 different copies of the US original over the years & they all do it, even the original New Zealand pressing was obviously transferred from a distorting US original because it does it too :rolleyes: Above the 15 different copies I thought I'd lucked out when I got a pressing plant box of unplayed copies, but alas they all had the same problem too :thumbsup: "Bread" on the flipside is fine though & a great track too.

Social source share

here's a couple that could easily fit in another live thread 'records you bought that are crap' (or something like that)

post-11139-0-37185900-1294087702_thumb.j post-11139-0-76086200-1294087721_thumb.j

brian hyland - the joker went wild - philips

I always thought that the Steve Tyrell - "A Boy Without A Girl" is a good record. Roger Banks used to play it in his DJing spot.

I have it on one of the two small Texas labels before Philips , mine is on Kirk.

Steve Tyrell produced some of Maxine Browns records on Wand.

Social source share

BOB HENRY BUILT LIKE A MAN, NOT ON REFO BUT ANYONE WHO DOES NOT KNOW IT LISTEN TO A CLIP HERE

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/110302/HENRY,_BOB

KEV

This is the same chap who does "Walk away like a winner" on Philips. I had the original Advision acetate of the latter and it was credited to Bob Henry. I remember obtaining / reviewing the Bob Henry "Built like a man" 20 years ago in Beatin Rhythm and this is the first time I've seen it mentioned since then!

Social source share

This is the same chap who does "Walk away like a winner" on Philips. I had the original Advision acetate of the latter and it was credited to Bob Henry. I remember obtaining / reviewing the Bob Henry "Built like a man" 20 years ago in Beatin Rhythm and this is the first time I've seen it mentioned since then!

not the first pete guess where i got it :lol: yes off one of your lists a couple of years ago

thanks a bunch love it

kev

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I always thought that the Steve Tyrell - "A Boy Without A Girl" is a good record. Roger Banks used to play it in his DJing spot.

I have it on one of the two small Texas labels before Philips , mine is on Kirk.

Steve Tyrell produced some of Maxine Browns records on Wand.

Steve was from Houston originally, which would account for the 'two small Texas labels'...

He worked for a lot of labels as a producer and executive (including Scepter/Wand - he went there as a 'reward' for bringing B J Thomas to the company's notice) , but for many years and up to now he has successfully plied his craft as a songwriter and jazz singer.

If you want to know what he looks like, check out www.stevetyrell,com

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

that philips Double-Hit reissue series has the best US pressing of Bobby Hebb's "Sunny". I play that out when needed & keep the original filed as it has weird distortion/static, it's gotta be the pressing because I've had about 15 different copies of the US original over the years & they all do it, even the original New Zealand pressing was obviously transferred from a distorting US original because it does it too :unsure: Above the 15 different copies I thought I'd lucked out when I got a pressing plant box of unplayed copies, but alas they all had the same problem too sad.gif "Bread" on the flipside is fine though & a great track too.

here's the spanish EP, Sunny sounds fine to me on this......

post-3009-0-91492100-1294222600_thumb.jp

post-3009-0-47054900-1294222633_thumb.jp

post-3009-0-39253000-1294222664_thumb.jp

post-3009-0-31956800-1294222690_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Couldn't resist to post two of my favourite Dusty tunes

post-1703-0-87195100-1294234783_thumb.jp

Wonder what was on her mind when she was singing this :thumbsup:

post-1703-0-34496700-1294234963_thumb.jp

And a great version of the Barbara Acklin standard

post-1703-0-98840700-1294235162_thumb.jp

Take care

John

Social source share

I always thought this so superior to spiral staicase (not that that sets the bar very high) and have enjoyed spinning a few times.

This is apic from the web, just wanted to contribute and not been around much recently. I'm sure my prom is one side blue / one side orange. I'll try and post a pic of that tonight if I get time, just out of interest.post-5677-0-36388700-1294314018_thumb.jp

Social source share

Also (you can tell I'm not doing much work!) saw this fetched £195 on JM auction last night. I'd have thought an ok price for such a clean one. One of those records from the past that i probabaly like more now.

post-5677-0-28415500-1294314212_thumb.jp

Sorry didn't realise pic was going to come out so small, it's the Victors - Hurt.

Edited by Dean
Social source share

Also (you can tell I'm not doing much work!) saw this fetched £195 on JM auction last night. I'd have thought an ok price for such a clean one. One of those records from the past that i probabaly like more now.

post-5677-0-28415500-1294314212_thumb.jp

Sorry didn't realise pic was going to come out so small, it's the Victors - Hurt.

only £4 back in the day :rolleyes:

Social source share

only £4 back in the day :rolleyes:

I've a great historical knack of buying and keeping records that are worth about the same now as what i paid back in the day, not buying those that rocketed, or even worse, selling the ones that rocketed back in the day before they rocketed. It's a good job I don't do this as a job. wink.gif

Social source share

I always thought this so superior to spiral staicase (not that that sets the bar very high) and have enjoyed spinning a few times.

This is apic from the web, just wanted to contribute and not been around much recently. I'm sure my prom is one side blue / one side orange. I'll try and post a pic of that tonight if I get time, just out of interest.post-5677-0-36388700-1294314018_thumb.jp

Nope, one side white one side orange. Still attractive I think.

post-5677-0-86918800-1294358273_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert