The Year 2010 Was A

Mike

..... good un ?

not sure about that, jury still out in my head on what 2010 was, but am sure that it was a good one for some of you out there wink.gif

in a upbeat end of year style, am asking for shouts from any member who be up for sharing some of their good things of 2010

not so much the "best" or the "busiest" or the "top" but more along the lines of most enjoyable

few examples below...

most enjoyable nighter ....

most enjoyable weekender....

maybe the one sound that you will remember most from 2010 and why

and so on

a upbeat smile a minute thread to see 2010 out...

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I would just like to say a BIG THANKS to all the Promoters & Dj`s who have entertained us over the past 12 months, this is sometimes a thankless task at times

A very special thanks to those who have continued to give there time to raising much needed funds for charities for those less fortunate than ourselves. On a Personal note a very special thanks to the organisers of THE TORCH RE-UNION dayer , once again pulled off a marvellous eventthumbsup.gif

A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, SEE YOU OUT N ABOUT IN 2011

thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Social source share

The clear highlight for me has to be having an hour long chat on the telephone with Barry 'Barefoot' Beefus. An amazing man with involvement in the music industry that went way beyond his one 45 for Loma records in 1966, and whose career after leaving the music business took him to Hollywood where he remains today and is active still, even at the age of 76!

Social source share

Musically, for me, the best was definitely the never done before (that I know of) Cleethorpes 5 records per DJ night.

Best records of 2010 for me were Andy Dyson's Calvin Grayson - Love's Just Begun, Des Parkers cover up Honey & Wine and Paul McKays cover-up

Funniest moment was bouncing about on a Space Hopper at Cleethorpe's on the Sunday night and wheeling Marcelle around the dance floor in a wheelchair that was John Weston's quiz prize :hatsoff2:

2nd funniest moment was at Bidds in May. And I quote:

Simon 'Disco-Pants' Cuerden beckoned me to his side. I approached with extreme caution knowing it would, more than likely, be a frolicsome 'Imberboy' sarcastic insult that we've no alternative but to embrace and accept... at this point a safety barrier seemed a good idea so I chose to kneel on a chair and extend myself, ear first, in Simon's direction across a table. The conversation question was answered but, when removing my knee from said chair, I reeled backward in horror. I had suffered 'WEE KNEE'. An anonymous incontinence sufferer had evacuated their bladder on the chair cushion which was now a mid-sized damp soggy patch on my left knee. I 'power walked' over to Mace in order to lodge my complaint. He looked at my 'wee knee' and laughed. Andy Dyson was standing next to Mace and reached into his wallet. What happened next could not have been foreseen. He flashed a money-off voucher for Tenna Lady's at me! Who would have guessed that these personal leakage problems would be catered for? Top class customer service from a top class guest DJ. We only needed to locate the urinating-urchin, the bladder-emptier, and present the voucher. I made the last bit up about locating the wee-wee culprit - it was added for effect when in reality, having laughed and chuckled at my comedic audience with the promoter, I skipped back to my party-goers in the hope of sympathetic understanding for my damp patch. They laughed as well laughing.png

Most surreal moment was dancing beneath the largest glitter ball I've ever seen at the Stafford reunion nighter.

Best surprise was from Mandy & Wendy who gave me a set of Rosie & Jim Dolls biggrin.gif

Best DJ's of the year are definitely Karl Heard & Big George - very memorable dance floor action from both of them.

Best personal achievement.... I found the real me :yes:

Thank you 2010... what a journey!

Social source share

above all else the 100 Club in November not knowing if it was to be the last ever one, 6am with lights on and seeing about 100 peeps all looking very emotionaly mixed up, not just me but everyone seemed to be taking one last long look before having to walk up them stairs for probably the last time :( oh and Billy with his souveniers :lol: didnt get out as much this year as i have in the past for certain reasons or other but when i did get out i dont think i had a bad night anywhere cos not only does the music keep me coming back for more all my friends on the scene do too, Do we all realise just what we have and how lucky we are to have found it, i am and roll on 2011 for plenty more of the same :hatsoff2:

Happy New Year and All the best to you and yours Mike for yet another great year of Soul Source :thumbsup:

Bearsy & Marie

Social source share

Kicked things off in January 2010 with a trip to my favourite place, the 100 Club.

post-2216-0-76686600-1293800698_thumb.jp

Ady's 'Crisis' thread galvanised the club and we saw packed floors again and that unique 100 spirit..

post-2216-0-34605600-1293800812_thumb.jppost-2216-0-76438600-1293800848_thumb.jp

August & October

Were some other memorable nighters this year like Rugby and the Brighton NUTS weekender;

post-2216-0-13723200-1293800948_thumb.jp post-2216-0-58013700-1293800970_thumb.jp

Weekenders were great, Clegg doing the biz as per and an impromptu dash to Prestatyn to see the Hesitations was a gas if nothing else..

post-2216-0-85753500-1293801057_thumb.jp post-2216-0-19124300-1293801079_thumb.jp

Some great soul nights in 2010 also, the mighty Va Va Voom and our lass jockin at Green Onions..

post-2216-0-23044700-1293801153_thumb.jppost-2216-0-29951800-1293801174_thumb.jp

Always save the best till last... event of the year for me (by a dammned sight) - Stafford baby! :hatsoff2:

post-2216-0-51054700-1293801262_thumb.jp

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Guest SoulNinja

2010 was the year I got into Soul. My first 'deep dive' into the music and all that it's about.

It was 'Blowing Up My Mind' at my first all nighter. It was my first ever go on a proper dancefloor, and my first wobble on someone else's talc.

It was actually making it to Kings Hall in December despite all the odds, rubbish weather and everyone else having flu.

2010 was also when I signed up here; ace, entertaining forum, and discovered just how much is on my own doorstep, and how much work folks' put into keeping the wheels turning.

Thanks & Happy New Year.

Looking forward to a whole lot more in 2011 :hatsoff2:

Jem

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

above all else the 100 Club in November not knowing if it was to be the last ever one, 6am with lights on and seeing about 100 peeps all looking very emotionaly mixed up, not just me but everyone seemed to be taking one last long look before having to walk up them stairs for probably the last time :lol: oh and Billy with his souveniers :( didnt get out as much this year as i have in the past for certain reasons or other but when i did get out i dont think i had a bad night anywhere cos not only does the music keep me coming back for more all my friends on the scene do too, Do we all realise just what we have and how lucky we are to have found it, i am and roll on 2011 for plenty more of the same :hatsoff2:

Happy New Year and All the best to you and yours Mike for yet another great year of Soul Source :thumbsup:

Bearsy & Marie

:yes:

Most memorable night for me too.:hypo: Best soul night for me was the August Va Va Voom with the outstanding Gav Evans. I literally didn't get off the dancefloor for his entire set.:(

My tune of the year is Felice Taylor-I can feel your love. The first time in ages that when i heard it, i asked how much it was and it wasn't £800 or something like that so i am a proud owner of a mint copy.:hypo:

I think 2010 has been a great year overall and i'm looking forward to 2011!:lol:

Social source share

For me 2010..is/was ..one of them landmark years...yep ..had some wobbles..but have proved to meself that my fighting prowess is still formidable...soulwise..wasnt out and about an awful lot...this due in part is being with a new friend who isnt a soulie...but nevertheless the dos ..i have made it too,....i appreciated much much more...for me the stand outs..has to be the Easter Stafford Reunion..to hear Love Town....Behind The Groove..You Cant Hide Your Love...all played out at a niter again was spine tingly good....also Nolan Porter at Nuneaton Co Op ....the Bank holiday dayer at the Grosvenor rooms in May..and the Wellingborough dayer ..which just goes from strength to strength...this year tho ..hasnt been without sadness..with the loss of folk who are very dear ....both on and off the scene...my hopes for 2011?...just more goodtimes..and to get my house and garden bloody done!!!!!!!...Happy New Year everyone....Del..xxxx

Social source share

its been a good year...

normally only do a couple of niters...did 8 this year finally got to bidds and lifeline...top nites will be back...hearing angela davis for the first time on the dancefloor at lifeline will be with me forever...

go go children has found a new and better venue and gone from an average of 70 + to 90+ and hit 100+ 3 times...more and more regulars...weve started having guests ,so far sean chapman (back with us this saturday by the way) ,des parker,pete tebbutt,matt from trowbridge and bristols eddie trueman ...all have been wicked...

roll on 2011'things have gotta get better' still

dean

Social source share

The 12 am till 3.30 am sesion at the last Stables Lifeline :rolleyes:

Have to agree with you Ted.

2010? - a great year for me getting out and about,meeting loads of like minded people and top quality venues.Every one a winner !!!

Also Brooklyn Weekender,Renaldo Domino,Harvey Scales..and getting lost with Big Paul in downtown Brooklyn. biggrin.gif

Social source share

For me 2010..is/was ..one of them landmark years...yep ..had some wobbles..but have proved to meself that my fighting prowess is still formidable...soulwise..wasnt out and about an awful lot...this due in part is being with a new friend who isnt a soulie...but nevertheless the dos ..i have made it too,....i appreciated much much more...for me the stand outs..has to be the Easter Stafford Reunion..to hear Love Town....Behind The Groove..You Cant Hide Your Love...all played out at a niter again was spine tingly good....also Nolan Porter at Nuneaton Co Op ....the Bank holiday dayer at the Grosvenor rooms in May..and the Wellingborough dayer ..which just goes from strength to strength...this year tho ..hasnt been without sadness..with the loss of folk who are very dear ....both on and off the scene...my hopes for 2011?...just more goodtimes..and to get my house and garden bloody done!!!!!!!...Happy New Year everyone....Del..xxxx

It was a real joy to see a room full of people, happy to hear such a diverse selection of music being played. Chris, Mace and I were just blown away by the response. This will live long in my memory, along with every minute of The Bamberg weekender and a very special goodbye to Brad (Mr Detroit) Hales as he left the sunday session.

Others would be....

First hours of the new year (12 months ago) in Berlin, and two nights later at Hip City, great open minded crowd, up for it.

Butch's set at Boomerang and Bamberg's small room

Every Lifeline I went to this year

Movin' on Barcelona, awesome

My one visit to Va Va Voom, even with the poor sound system, the fight, still a great night.

and lastly a slightly strangly, Kings Hall, not always my cup of tea, but to walk into a room that packed, with that much love and passion for the music, did remind me of back in the day, but I try not to live in the past. Kev is one of the best at what he does.

Not a bad year all in all

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

..... good un ?

not sure about that, jury still out in my head on what 2010 was, but am sure that it was a good one for some of you out there wink.gif

in a upbeat end of year style, am asking for shouts from any member who be up for sharing some of their good things of 2010

not so much the "best" or the "busiest" or the "top" but more along the lines of most enjoyable

few examples below...

most enjoyable nighter ....

most enjoyable weekender....

maybe the one sound that you will remember most from 2010 and why

and so on

a upbeat smile a minute thread to see 2010 out...

Soul Discovery Top 50 from 2010

1. 4IIC "Just being me" RK

2. Michael Dunston "Turn the lights down low" Boomtang

3. XXception to the Rule "Angel in disguise" Daxwood

4. Miles Jaye "All to myself" Black Tree

5. Queen Emily "No easy way to say goodbye" Malaco

6. John Stoddart "Put love, love, love in it" SD

7. Floyd Taylor‏ "All Of You, All Of Me" CDS

8. Oilwell "You & me" Moiko

9. Apostle JL Cash "Thanks for making me wait" MCG

10. William Kooly Scott "Twelve O Five" WS

11. Ted 'Wizzard' Mills "Just my imagination" DL