Jerry Williams- If You Ask Me

Citizen P

It's been bugging me for a long time.

I KNOW that when I first heard it at the break it went staight into the strings,

When it got reissued/pressed -at the break before the strings, it's got that horrible organ type thing.

And every time I've heard it played out over the last few years it's the second version I've heard..

So, what's the crack ??

Am I going crackers or what??

Tony

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Its a different mix more reverb and the longer 73 issue has chelos then violins no organ.

Let's see if I've got this right-

The short version-staight into the violins, is the original ?

The long version-with the sh*te before the violins is the reissue.??

The instrumental is a figment of Webby's fevered imagination??? :)

I presume then, that the original short version is fairly hard to get hold of which is why I am only hearing the ruined version. :thumbup:

Tony

Social source share

The instrumental is a figment of Webby's fevered imagination??? :lol:

I presume then, that the original short version is fairly hard to get hold of which is why I am only hearing the ruined version. :lol:

Tony

Hi Tony, The Original Pops Up Quite Frequently On Ebay But Always Does Strong Money I Have Been Trying To Get A Mint Demo (Red N White) On First Issue But Even In The current Financial Climate It Goes For Over $200 :(

Social source share

Hi Tony, The Original Pops Up Quite Frequently On Ebay But Always Does Strong Money I Have Been Trying To Get A Mint Demo (Red N White) On First Issue But Even In The current Financial Climate It Goes For Over $200 :(

I'd have one if I could afford it, 100 times better than the remix/reissue :lol:

And 1000 times better than Webbys instro :lol:

Tony

Social source share

I'd have one if I could afford it, 100 times better than the remix/reissue :lol:

And 1000 times better than Webbys instro :(

Tony

I Bid $225 A Couple OF Weeks Back On The Demo On Ebay But Got outbid At the Last Minute Gonna Buy A Better Snipe B4 Xmas!! :yes: Yeah That Instro Of Phil's Is A P*** Poor Quality Recording You Can Hear A Pin Drop When It's Playing !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Its Horns and not cello on the 73 version. I can't get into refo to confirm but we did this a while back. :lol:

Thats the 73 version isnt it ???? .............................................(or do I need a yellow van as well )

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The '73 version is not a remix - it's actually the unedited original take. The 60s (first) issue on Calla had that bit cut out - I've seen the production master tape going through a Revox so I can confirm that there was definitely an edit there. Seems like Roulette went back to the original session tape when they reissued it , and didn't bother to re-edit that edit....

The 'proper' (i.e. edited) single master is about to come out on CD in January, on a new Kent Jerry Williams/Swamp Dogg anthology - this time taken from the original production tapethat was used for the first issue, and with the dynamic 'One! Two! OneTwoThreeFour!!!' count-in from Jerry reinstated for extra added excitement.

There's no surviving tape of just the backing track so perhaps Teddy drove off with it in his Vann, Webby....:lol:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Sorry l got my Disco Demands mixed-up,l meant 'What Shall l Do'-Frankie and The Classicals...... yes.gif Does that have an instrumental??

Yup yes.gif

After the Session - The Subway Riders

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I presume then, that the original short version is fairly hard to get hold of which is why I am only hearing the ruined version. :thumbsup:

Tony

The original came out on Demo and Issue on Calla records in 1966. That one is the short version with the original loud haunting sound to it.

In 1973 it was reissued by Calla because of Northen Soul demand.

This was remixed to make it a softer sound, and it is the longer cut.

The label of the demo and issue of this reissue has the date 1973 on it.

Calla Original is about £150

Calle Reissue about £10

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

In 1973 it was reissued by Calla because of Northen Soul demand.

This was remixed to make it a softer sound, and it is the longer cut.

...Don't you bother reading a whole thread before posting?

I've already explained/confirmed that the 1973 cut is not a remix. If its sounds softer it's because it was taken from a different tape to the original production master...

Honestly, I really don't know why I bother sometimes. At least on Pama Forum people actually seem to take note of the information I post...:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Also Honey Townsend "That World Again"

and Mark Johnson "This Beautiful Place" just done a youtube of this but the wrong record as been put up.

Hi Dave,

Yes of course. When I put the above clip on here I knew there were at least a couple of others but for the life of me couldn't remeber what they were.

I should have remembered the Mark Johnson as I used to have it in my pimpled youth. On Diamond if I remember right.

Memories going to shite

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Calla_116-A_DJ-2.gif

The Original DEMO with Edit, I believe that the Out Of The Past BOOT has same take.

I remember getting an original demo of Jerry Williams in the early 70s (1972 or 73) from Simon Soussan with a note saying I must have it as it was going to be the BIGGEST northern soul record of all time(this may be a slight exageration but not much). I had ordered and paid for a different record but that is how Soussan worked .

In a similiar way to Jerry Williams I think Al Wilsons '' Now I Know What Love Is'' has an extra bar on the break on the US Soul City issue compared to the UK Liberty issue, or could be t'other way round. Anyone confirm this or know why (Mr Rounce?)

Social source share

Just been looking on Popsike and an original short edit has picked up in price over the years. longer mix goes for 30 to 50 but I can't find anything for a tenner unless this is the Pye copy.

By the way where dose this fit in, sounds like the same backing.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=BfvPazJFSNc

Dunno, every one I've seen is an obvious boot, like that one.

I know Chip Tyler did work with Billy Vera, but someone with more knowledge than I will have to find the connection :yes:

Tony

Social source share

...Don't you bother reading a whole thread before posting?

I've already explained/confirmed that the 1973 cut is not a remix. If its sounds softer it's because it was taken from a different tape to the original production master...

Honestly, I really don't know why I bother sometimes. At least on Pama Forum people actually seem to take note of the information I post...:sweatingbullets:

I did read your post,

The original 1966 Calla recording seems to have a louder 60's feel to it.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Also Honey Townsend "That World Again"

and Mark Johnson "This Beautiful Place" just done a youtube of this but the wrong record as been put up.

burning emotions - the new world - bang

mark johnson - this beautifull place - diamond promo

Social source share

I Bid $225 A Couple OF Weeks Back On The Demo On Ebay But Got outbid At the Last Minute Gonna Buy A Better Snipe B4 Xmas!! :D Yeah That Instro Of Phil's Is A P*** Poor Quality Recording You Can Hear A Pin Drop When It's Playing !! :lol::yes: :yes:

I've got one for £120 if you're interested mate?

Social source share

burning emotions - the new world - bang

mark johnson - this beautifull place - diamond promo

I forgot all about the Burning Emotions on Bang,

Maybe because I never had one, as for as I know I have had all the others, but no doubt someone will come up with a version I don't know.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert