• Replies 20
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Does anyone know who played harmonica on the Marvelettes `The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game`?

Also, has anyone ever seen a `Globe` copy of their `Keep Off no Trespassing`?

Has anyone seen a `Globe` copy of the Isley Brothers `Just Ain't Enough Love`?

Thanks

It's not a harmonica on THGCBTG - according to the note in The Complete Motown Singles Vol 6 (I think!) it's some form of early synthesiser. That's info from the guy who engineered the session. I'll look it up when I get home from work and tell you exactly what the device was called (unless someone else would care to do that in the meantime...)

Haven't seen 'globes' on either of those you ask about. The first 'brown strip' release was 'A Place In The Sun', incidentally.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

It's not a harmonica on THGCBTG - according to the note in The Complete Motown Singles Vol 6 (I think!) it's some form of early synthesiser. That's info from the guy who engineered the session. I'll look it up when I get home from work and tell you exactly what the device was called (unless someone else would care to do that in the meantime...)

Haven't seen 'globes' on either of those you ask about. The first 'brown strip' release was 'A Place In The Sun', incidentally.

Thanks for this Tony, I have a backing track only version and I just assumed it was a `harp` with some echo but with your input in place, you could well be right.

Social source share

Thanks Rod, Occasionally I've also seen white labels of an earlier design, e.g. the vertical Soul type and then the later design on the stock copy.

Hi Keith

I have a two globes white demo of "Just Ain't Enough Love" with "Take Some Time Out For Love" on the Flip

Dave

Social source share

Hi Keith

I have a two globes white demo of "Just Ain't Enough Love" with "Take Some Time Out For Love" on the Flip

Dave

Is that right?

It's "Gotta have you back" on the issue. I've never seen demos like that before.

Actually Im now wondering if I have seen a WDJ of "Keep..." I may be confusing with "Destination Anywhere"

The last regular issueGlobes design I actually have is Wonder "Hey love" which falls between " Got to have you back" and "Starting the hurt all over again", both on later design. No idea when Globes phased out completely.

ROD

Social source share

Is that right?

It's "Gotta have you back" on the issue. I've never seen demos like that before.

Actually Im now wondering if I have seen a WDJ of "Keep..." I may be confusing with "Destination Anywhere"

The last regular issueGlobes design I actually have is Wonder "Hey love" which falls between " Got to have you back" and "Starting the hurt all over again", both on later design. No idea when Globes phased out completely.

ROD

Yep, I too have a issue of "Ain't Enough Love" with "Got To Have You Back" Release number T-54146.

With "Ain't Enough Love" being taken from The "This Old Heart Of Mine album on the label.

But The Two Globes white demo of "Just Ain't Enough Love" with "Take Some Time Out" has a release number T-54182

With both tracks credited as being taken from the "Doin' Their Thing " album.

The white demo has all the correct stamped numbers in the run out groove etc

Honestly never really noticed this before ! Any Motown experts out there got any explanations ?

Dave

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yep, I too have a issue of "Ain't Enough Love" with "Got To Have You Back" Release number T-54146.

With "Ain't Enough Love" being taken from The "This Old Heart Of Mine album on the label.

But The Two Globes white demo of "Just Ain't Enough Love" with "Take Some Time Out" has a release number T-54182

The white demo has all the correct stamped numbers in the run out groove etc

Honestly never really noticed this before ! Any Motown experts out there got any explanations ?

Dave

The latter pairing of 'Just Ain't'...' and TSTOFL was issued by Motown to cash in on the US success of 'It's Your Thing' and, in a lesser way, off the back of the belated 1969 UK success of their reissued mid 60s Tamla 45s.

'Doin' Their Thing' was a proposed cash-in album, planned for the same reason (hence the word 'Thing' in the title,,,). I say 'proposed' because I'm pretty sure it never came out.

I'm not 100% certain about this but I seem to remember that either the UK reissue of TSTOFL or the 54182 reissue is a slightly different take or mix. Please don't hold me to that!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Here's T-54133 as a double-sided Globes demo: ph34r.gif

post-9555-0-35455200-1292331502_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Off on a tangent, but here's one for those who like to a have a center in their record, check this out:

...Not the first such item I've seen - in fact I own a few such items myself - but definitely one of the nicest, Dave!:huh:

I've mused on this before on here but I have reason to believe that EMI had plans to release TTWLI on a UK 45 and may even have pressed TPs before deciding against it. My supposition is based on the fact that the track was in the Radio London Top 20 at the time that the Marine Offences Bill came into play and made pirate radio officialy illegal. I know that Big L used to play records upfront of release, but not soul records as a rule - it was more likely to be something new from the Beatles, Stones or Beach Boys than a more-or-less second tier Motown act (which the Isleys were in terms of chart profile).

I can remember hearing it several times on Big L and anticipating a release date that never came.

TTWLI still has one of the greatest and most exciting intros ever to grace a soul 45....:lol::no: :no:

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Off on a tangent, but here's one for those who like to a have a center in their record, check this out:

Can anyone explain how some British Tamla Motown with same TMG number sometimes have a press out

centre and are also available with solid centres with just the spindle hole.

Often kept awake wondering about this :huh:

Social source share

Can anyone explain how some British Tamla Motown with same TMG number sometimes have a press out

centre and are also available with solid centres with just the spindle hole.

Often kept awake wondering about this :lol:

For those who have nothing better to do, I've got a two part story on the origins of record centres, with pictures!!!! on my blog.

Social source share

Does anyone know who played harmonica on the Marvelettes `The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game`?

Also, has anyone ever seen a `Globe` copy of their `Keep Off no Trespassing`?

Has anyone seen a `Globe` copy of the Isley Brothers `Just Ain't Enough Love`?

Thanks

There are a few different pressing plants Involved as the 2 Tamla Globe DEMOs for "TOO MANY FISH IN THE SEA" show.

Tamla_T-54105a_DJ.gifTamla_T-54105b_DJ.gif

Tamla_T-54105a_DJ-1-1.gifTamla_T-54105b_DJ-1.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tamla_T-54166a_DJa.gifTamla_T-54166a_DJb.gif

Tamla_T-54166a_DJa_S.gifTamla_T-54166a_DJb_S.gif

Both of these DEMOs above play "HERE I AM BABY"

The Globe DEMO below actually plays "KEEP OFF, NO TRESPASSING" I'm not sure how many are about like this.

Tamla_T-54166b_DJb.gifTamla_T-54166b_DJa.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As already mentioned, The first release Tamla 54146 Globe DEMO has "GOT TO HAVE YOU BACK" both sides.

Tamla_T-54146a_DJa.gifTamla_T-54146a_DJb.gif

The Later Release Tamla 54182 Globe DEMO has "TAKE SOME TIME OUT FOR LOVE" / "JUST AIN'T ENOUGH LOVE"

Tamla_T-54182a_DJ.gifTamla_T-54182b_DJ.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As a PS to my earlier post (#11 on your songsheet) I had my 'different mixes' the wrong way round. The 54182 of Just Ain't Enough Love is a slightly different mix to the first issue on 54146 - Take Some Time Out For Love is the same mix as was used on the first issue, it's the stereo album version that's different on that track.

Sorry 'Bout Dat....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert