Best Sleeves To Keep 45S In?

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys thumbsup.gif

This thread really helped me decide on the type of sleeves to go for.

Important to get this right as it's quite a big investment to do the whole lot.

On the issue of plastic sleeves, one thing is for sure - I am going to avoid plastic sleeves for everything - with the exception of the archive quality type made of Mylar (for outside company bags).

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Deejay OM

I have found the same problem with the plastic, that if the record is stored in it too long it will leech onto the vinyl, causing damage/haziness, which inevitably effects the sound. I currently store mine in plain paper sleeves, and my really good records are sheathed in mylar sleeves which seem to prevent dust and are quite firm, but take up less space than the cardboard that other friends use.

Social source share

to totally clarify, it's not every type of plastic sleeve which reacts with the vinyl. The one that causes problems is the very shiny/clear, almost rubbery type of plastic sleeve. This plastic was used a lot for LP inners in the 50s/60s & often breaks down completely into flaky pieces leaving lines & hazing on the vinyl. It is also found as lining inside many paper & card 45 sleeves from the 60s/70s/80s. Lastly it can be identified on LP & 45 outers easily by the dimpled seam around the edge of the sleeve. This plastic is quite easy to tell apart from the non-reacting stuff.

The modern style plastic 45 & LP outers & inners are perfectly fine & non-reactive.

My 45s are filed in company or plain white paper sleeves inside poly-outers. The plastic outers were a recent initiative, I'm probably 4/5ths through my collection with outer sleeves, an unwanted downside is that it makes the little bastards slippery as hell :hatsoff2::yes:

For years I just kept them in the paper sleeves, but they start to get a bit hammered through gigging. I toyed with the idea of cardboard outers intead of plastic but can't buy them locally & getting 6000 odd shipped to New Zealand would have cost me a vital organ or similar :yes:

Social source share

to totally clarify, it's not every type of plastic sleeve which reacts with the vinyl. The one that causes problems is the very shiny/clear, almost rubbery type of plastic sleeve. This plastic was used a lot for LP inners in the 50s/60s & often breaks down completely into flaky pieces leaving lines & hazing on the vinyl. It is also found as lining inside many paper & card 45 sleeves from the 60s/70s/80s. Lastly it can be identified on LP & 45 outers easily by the dimpled seam around the edge of the sleeve. This plastic is quite easy to tell apart from the non-reacting stuff.

The modern style plastic 45 & LP outers & inners are perfectly fine & non-reactive.

My 45s are filed in company or plain white paper sleeves inside poly-outers. The plastic outers were a recent initiative, I'm probably 4/5ths through my collection with outer sleeves, an unwanted downside is that it makes the little bastards slippery as hell :huh::thumbsup:

For years I just kept them in the paper sleeves, but they start to get a bit hammered through gigging. I toyed with the idea of cardboard outers intead of plastic but can't buy them locally & getting 6000 odd shipped to New Zealand would have cost me a vital organ or similar :yes:

Nice one Kris - thanks for the tipsthumbsup.gif

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is interested - and to close the loop on the thread - I went with the Jazzman sleeves:

• Green Inner Paper Sleeve - described as "Archival quality olive green paper sleeves of superior quality. Thick, smooth and more robust - probably the best paper inner sleeves money can buy. These are the ONLY sleeves worthy of storing your top rares!!! Country: USA."

26131.jpg

• White Card Outer Sleeve - described as "These thick card outer sleeves are essential for the serious collector who wants to keep his 45s in top shape. Fitting snugly over your colour paper inner sleeves, they'll give extra protection to your rare records and give them durability for years to come. Complete with centre hole and open tab for easy access. Country: UK".

26430.jpg

Plus I'm going to go for archive quality Mylar sleeves for discs in company bags.

As far as Jazzman went - the service was excellent. Quick delivery, really clear communications, and I managed to negotiate a very decent deal due to the 'bulk buy' yes.gif Definitely recommended!! thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Just in case anyone is interested - and to close the loop on the thread - I went with the Jazzman sleeves:

• Green Inner Paper Sleeve - described as "Archival quality olive green paper sleeves of superior quality. Thick, smooth and more robust - probably the best paper inner sleeves money can buy. These are the ONLY sleeves worthy of storing your top rares!!! Country: USA."

26131.jpg

• White Card Outer Sleeve - described as "These thick card outer sleeves are essential for the serious collector who wants to keep his 45s in top shape. Fitting snugly over your colour paper inner sleeves, they'll give extra protection to your rare records and give them durability for years to come. Complete with centre hole and open tab for easy access. Country: UK".

26430.jpg

Plus I'm going to go for archive quality Mylar sleeves for discs in company bags.

As far as Jazzman went - the service was excellent. Quick delivery, really clear communications, and I managed to negotiate a very decent deal due to the 'bulk buy' yes.gif Definitely recommended!! thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Richard

There you go - all that chatter and you ended up with the recommendation in the second reply, good choice , can't imagine who recommended them yes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert