Best Sleeves To Keep 45S In?

Hi everyone

I'm about to start a major upgrade of all of the sleeves in my collection.

My current sleeves are varied and pretty random.

I wan't to go for the best option and seeing as this is not going to be cheap I want to get it right first time.

The options I am considering are:

• Paper sleeve (brown or white) inside a decent grade white card sleeve
  • Paper sleeve (brown, white or company sleeve) inside plastic sleeve (PVC)
  • Poly-lined sleeve

Anyone got any good tips on these various options please?

Thank you

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone

I wan't to go for the best option and seeing as this is not going to be cheap I want to get it right first time.

• Poly-lined sleeve

Thank you

Richard

Poly-lined White Paper Sleeve Inside Good Quality Card Sleeve yes.gif:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi everyone

• Poly-lined sleeve

Thank you

Richard

I'd go for those antique green paper covers, inside cardboard. The paper covers are great quality and to be honest if kept neat and tidy on shelves don't need the cardboard and of course won't take up as much space. Mike

Social source share

I don't understand why so many UK people put their 45s directly into card sleeves (without a paper sleeve first). The 45s rattle around and get scuffed up. I also wouldn't recommend the poly lined inner sleeves, the plastic leeches off and ruins the vinyl over time.

Social source share

I don't understand why so many UK people put their 45s directly into card sleeves (without a paper sleeve first). The 45s rattle around and get scuffed up. I also wouldn't recommend the poly lined inner sleeves, the plastic leeches off and ruins the vinyl over time.

Me too, I have also wondered why so many people put 45s into card sleeves without a paper sleeve. To me it just seems so obvious that the records will get scuffs more easily compared to if they were in paper sleeves. But what do I know.....

Edited by Preben
Social source share

I also wouldn't recommend the poly lined inner sleeves, the plastic leeches off and ruins the vinyl over time.

With regards to my US 45s, I have the old poly-lined cardboard sleeves with the various coloured spines...ideal to visably file'n'sought on the shelves. I originally went for these (whenever WHSmith had them in stock!) as then the labels had some protection whilst out DJing. My local accessories shop has all kinds of coloured paper and card sleeves, but none of the 'ink-blotting-thick' vintage green paper sleeves, otherwise I think I may have converted to them, plus a poly sleeve, plus a cardboard sleeve!

Incidentally, the original Japanese 45s came in thin poly sleeves, which were inside a factory paper sleeve, both inside an outer thicker PVC sleeve. To that combination I usually add a card stiffner between the paper info/picture sheet and the paper sleeve, even though it reduces the number you can get on a shelf due to the increased thickness. I've also always wondered about the possible damage to the vinyl from the poly sleeve, but no sign on any of them...maybe the high quality, or the fact that they haven't been wiped over with any cleaner fluid that may react with the poly sleeve?

I also feel its a shame to have the factory/picture sleeves hidden inside a card sleeve, and then the question of whether to write, type, print, sticker the record details on the sleeve arises, doesn't it aaaaaaaaaaargh!

:D

post-9555-0-62872700-1292120555_thumb.jp

Social source share

I also use the red inner paper sleeves which Mike mentioned he got from Jazz man.There is a seller on ebay (you can go direct if it`s a large order) who does every colour known to man.I bought all or most of his red ones off him :lol: . Bags unlimited stopped making em now.Tried a few of the poly lined sleeves but you can`t turn or pick up the record (on u.s copies only) so kinda blew them out.Good news you don`t need to fold or cut them to fit in the outer white cardboard covers.Not like the covers 33 inner paper sleeves,what a waste of time :D .

Have to agree why collectors don`t put records in paper sleeves,myth they get scuffed. :D

Social source share

With regards to my US 45s, I have the old poly-lined cardboard sleeves with the various coloured spines...ideal to visably file'n'sought on the shelves. I originally went for these (whenever WHSmith had them in stock!) as then the labels had some protection whilst out DJing.

:lol:

I went down that road Flynny (use to come in packs of 10 as you say from Smiths and the like) so the majority of my collection has the coloured spines - I colour code by label (sad t**T) so Atlantic is Red, Brunswick Yellow and so on. I have heard people say the plastic liner deteriorates the vinyl - but I've not noticed and they have been in them for over 30 years!

Can't get them now so have now adopted the the green paper and card. If a single has an original company sleeve I will put a thin polythene cover on it and file it, and if it is valuable I will put one of the thicker PVC covers used for EP's. What a dilemma - Mike

Social source share

Had a browse on Jazzman, because I use plain white card (outer) sleeves at present and want some inners.........

I note the "Archival quality olive green paper sleeves of superior quality." Are these in green only? i can try them when open hours come around.............but wondered if anyone knew

Ideally I wanted about 6 diff colours because i was intending filing by style ; Northern, Rnb, Female Lead, etc

Also unsure about labelling on the outer white sleeve ; considered a Dyno writer......... ?

Social source share

I have kept my records in the W.H. Smith type cardboard poly lined sleeves for 30 years, and never had any problem with any of them.

The only time it has been a problem with a collection that I know of, was when the guy kept his records in a damp area for storage and the sleeves sweated with the moisture.

Social source share

I have kept my records in the W.H. Smith type cardboard poly lined sleeves for 30 years, and never had any problem with any of them.

The only time it has been a problem with a collection that I know of, was when the guy kept his records in a damp area for storage and the sleeves sweated with the moisture.

I don't understand the conditions that makes the plastic leech off, all I know is that I freaked out after reading this:

https://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28401

I went through my collection and removed all the poly lined sleeves from the 45s. Most looked fine. Some had the start of some sort of broad streaking on the vinyl or styrene that looked like the start of what was in that thread. I don't know what particular environmental conditions cause this problem but I don't want to risk it.

Social source share

post-2021-0-02111900-1292197019_thumb.jppost-2021-0-40793400-1292197156_thumb.jp

Here is a mint unplayed condition record that came from the BBC Library (plus I have others in the same condition) that was stored since 1967 in a B.B.C. Poly lined sleeve.

If you decide to store your records inside Poly lined sleeves for a long period of time, make sure you insert your record into a paper sleeve first so that the vinyl is not in direct contact with the Poly lining.

Social source share

post-2021-0-02111900-1292197019_thumb.jppost-2021-0-40793400-1292197156_thumb.jp

Here is a mint unplayed condition record that came from the BBC Library (plus I have others in the same condition) that was stored since 1967 in a B.B.C. Poly lined sleeve.

If you decide to store your records inside Poly lined sleeves for a long period of time, make sure you insert your record into a paper sleeve first so that the vinyl is not in direct contact with the Poly lining.

I think it actually goes through the paper also, a bunch of the records in the other message board thread were examples of the plastic leeching through picture sleeves.

Social source share

I think it actually goes through the paper also, a bunch of the records in the other message board thread were examples of the plastic leeching through picture sleeves.

The stiff heavy grade plastic sleeves that were available in the 90's (& probably still available) in the UK definitly do, over a long period of time, these are the type that the person posted a picture of in the thread that you posted a link to Bob, his post is the one made on March 23rd, 2010, 4:04 am . I had a large U.K. collection all in original London, H.M.V., etc. sleeves, then inserted into these plastic sleeves. Some of these definitly did react, yes.

Also, I put some magazines & general paper work into the L.P. size version of these sleeves. After a few years I went to take the contents out & a large amount of the ink printing had stuck to the plastic sleeve (as in the picture on the thread that you posted Bob)

The B.B.C. sleeves (where the Jason Knight was in) were heavy paper with thin poly lining.

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

Just to be sure. We are talking about paper sleeves wtih plastic inside. Like these: https://www.sleevetow...d-sleeves.shtml

Not plastic sleeves used outside card sleeves? at least it seems that this was discussed in that thread as well.

I do not want to upset anyone selling sleeves. All I would say is, I 'personaly' will not now put a record into a paper or card sleeve where the vinyl will come into direct contact with a poly/plastic liner. I have done in the past, but will not do so now.

Please note, not all records will react in the way described above, only some.

Social source share

Just to be sure. We are talking about paper sleeves wtih plastic inside. Like these: https://www.sleevetow...d-sleeves.shtml

Not plastic sleeves used outside card sleeves? at least it seems that this was discussed in that thread as well.

sorry to cause confusion. all I can say is that I went through all my records that were in paper sleeves lined with plastic inside and some of them definitely had a weird "streaking" effect on the vinyl that looked to be the start of a more destroyed record

Social source share

I went through all my records that were in paper sleeves lined with plastic inside and some of them definitely had a weird "streaking" effect on the vinyl that looked to be the start of a more destroyed record

The record store I work part-time in was offered a huge superb collection of UK punk / new wave / powerpop 45s a couple of years ago. All of the picture sleeved releases had been stored in plastic PVC outer sleeves since its release and more than 75% of those 45s were totally destroyed (surface looked dull, had streaking, played with constant hiss etc. - just like described above).

I wouldn't use any kind of PVC outer sleeves or plastic lined inner sleeves for my 45s, it's just not worth risking in my opinion.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

what about LPS ?

Same thing. Never use PVC outer sleeves and use high quality non-plastic lined paper inner sleeves.

As far as LPs are concerned, one of the worst examples I've come across is the Sweden-only debut LP by Boz Scaggs ("Boz" from 1965) which actually was issued with a plastic lined inner sleeve which over the years has reacted with the vinyl. No one knew it at the time of its release, so few people changed the original inner sleeve for a standard paper inner. As a result that LP is almost impossible to find without those "streaks" or dulling do the vinyl which results in hiss, noise etc. I'm sure there are lots of other examples of this.

Social source share

Same thing. Never use PVC outer sleeves and use high quality non-plastic lined paper inner sleeves.

As far as LPs are concerned, one of the worst examples I've come across is the Sweden-only debut LP by Boz Scaggs ("Boz" from 1965) which actually was issued with a plastic lined inner sleeve which over the years has reacted with the vinyl. No one knew it at the time of its release, so few people changed the original inner sleeve for a standard paper inner. As a result that LP is almost impossible to find without those "streaks" or dulling do the vinyl which results in hiss, noise etc. I'm sure there are lots of other examples of this.

Thanks as ive some decent Lps in Plastic outtta sleves..i will ditch them !

Social source share

I went down that road Flynny (use to come in packs of 10 as you say from Smiths and the like) so the majority of my collection has the coloured spines - I colour code by label (sad t**T) so Atlantic is Red, Brunswick Yellow and so on.

Guess I'm a sad t**t as well, as I colour-code by label order...A's are red, B's are green, C's are orange etc...I always used to run out of the orange ones!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi everyone

• Poly-lined sleeve

Thank you

Richard

I've found that those very soft, thick green paper, US made sleeves from the 50s and 60 are the best. They soften with age and that is the key but they went out of production in the mid 70s.

I went into Relic Records in the early 90s and the guy in there said that they wanted to order 1000's but they were unobtainable in the US. At around that time, John Anderson had some Soul Bowl ones made up, in Belgium if I recall but they were too harsh.

Social source share

Are those red/blue paper sleeves any good in deejay boxes...or do they keep getting ripped like the ordinary paper ones.Are there any alternatives to the white cardboard Im sure I saw some coloured cardboard ones somewhere.Got loads of them grubby seventies brown cardboard ones.....not nice.:thumbup:

Social source share

Are those red/blue paper sleeves any good in deejay boxes...or do they keep getting ripped like the ordinary paper ones.Are there any alternatives to the white cardboard Im sure I saw some coloured cardboard ones somewhere.Got loads of them grubby seventies brown cardboard ones.....not nice.:wicked:

The ones I have seen look great when new, but when used a bit have seen the white come through (colour rubs off) on corners etc............they seen to be white ones coloured rather than coloured right through

Hopefully someone who uses can post their experiences...........:thumbup:

Edited by RareMusicDirect
Social source share

No defence offered lol.....................I obsess about all things vinyl and related, hope you never get the affliction lol

Actually that was done tongue in cheek,anybody who knows me will confirm i`m beyond any help when it comes to vinyl/condition/filing systems etc... :thumbup::wicked:

I was gonna do my 7" collection in genre order of colour sleeves but could`t make me mind up and had already bought loads of red sleeves so gave up on that idea..

Social source share

Are those red/blue paper sleeves any good in deejay boxes...or do they keep getting ripped like the ordinary paper ones.Are there any alternatives to the white cardboard Im sure I saw some coloured cardboard ones somewhere.Got loads of them grubby seventies brown cardboard ones.....not nice.:thumbup:

I`ve had no rips/tears when i`ve put 7"s in dj boxes.There made of thicker cardboard then the white paper sleeves.I always have them inside white cardboard outer sleeves has well.I also find they come out of the cardboard without getting stuck/jammed etc.Only downside is you can`t get has many 7"s in the dj box but only a few less give or take.

Social source share

Actually that was done tongue in cheek,anybody who knows me will confirm i`m beyond any help when it comes to vinyl/condition/filing systems etc... :thumbup::)

I was gonna do my 7" collection in genre order of colour sleeves but could`t make me mind up and had already bought loads of red sleeves so gave up on that idea..

Sounds Like We Have The Same Bug!!:yes:

Social source share

I`ve just starting changing all my lps to the covers 33 polylined sleeves,does that mean that are not suitable?There`s some rare/expensive lps amongst that lot and there all clean copies. :):thumbup:

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Ditched all the plastic 7" sleeves, bar about 100 for storing certain things in. Sold the bulk of about 1500-2000 to Rob Wigley who used them for charity shop records. Problems with these have already been mentioned.

As regards the coloured ones of various origins, Uk and US. Was picking up all sorts on US trips, and renewing various colours from people like Ian Clarke at a later stage. But these 'oddball' colours were just hanging about, and i was thinking "What am i gonna do with all of these"? Then one day becoming extremely bored with the all white paper innners in my top box, decided i'd colour code the genres.

If your djing, and it's a bit dark, or you're trying to find a certain record but keep passing it by. Just look under colour. Simples!

The anorak's guide to colour coding as follows:

(Left hand side of box)

Heavy dark green - 60's newies and underplayed

Light green - late 60's/ early 70's Crossover

Heavy yellow - 60's newies/ semi obscure current spins

Heavy/ light blue - 60's newies/ semi obscure/ midtempo

Orange - Rawer edged 60's/ R'n'B ish

Brown paper, light and heavy - Rarer 60's/ semi obscure uptempo

(Right hand side of box)

Orange - Smattering of rawer edged/ R'n'B ish

Heavy green - Quality oldies

Brown paper - Underplayed and reactivated oldies

Red - Underplayed and reactivated oldies/ Incl midtempo and Wand

Light Green - Recent and classic Crossover/ 70's items

Pink - Current and big 70's/ Modern tunes

Black - Obscurer 70's/ Modern tunes

Red - Unissued

The Philly midtempo at one time was heavy Yellow, but now discontinued.

Also had a section where there was a run of about 10-12 different colours, from lilac to black, but likewise discontinued.

Also some of the label collections have coloured sleeves.

Arctic light blue, Ric-Tic red, Golden World yellow, Okeh purple, Mar/Onderful/M-pac brown paper.

Social source share

trying to get organised and have been colour coding mine using the coloured card from covers33 - currently they do 8 colours, which together with white makes 9 genres/styles, and then using a white sticker to label. helps a lot to find stuff either when packing the box or looking in the box, although could have done with a couple more colours really...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert