Mojo Label From Atlanta

Agent45

I'm guessing somebody here can help. I'm trying to flesh out Calvin Arnold's Mojo label from Atlanta. I know of three records, and Calvin can't remember any others. That's fine, but I can't seem to find the B side title for one by the Sheppard (or Shepperd, sic) Brothers. Here's what I have.

101 Nancy Day - Too Much Too Soon / I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone

102 The Shepperd Brothers - Mr. Fool / ?

103 Vivilore Jordan - You Don't Need Him / Maybe

Can anyone tell me the B side to Mr. Fool, and confirm the spelling of the group name on the label?

Edited by Agent45
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Mate

Hows tricks, Ari is your man, he speaks to him all the time. But Calvin has had a colourful life to say the least, and has traveled for many years 'light' so to speak, he has no product or any of his master tapes. We put him in touch with Bill Wright and Jim Stewart, the three hadn't spoken for many years.

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Sorry didn't read you question correctly, don't know of any other releases. Anyway that aside, hows tricks, have you found yourself a new job yet.

Dave

Yeah! I am working again, thank goodness, which of course gives me more time to catch up with Soul-Source. Ha!! Generally much happier days here, that's for sure.

Social source share

Good choice Dylan.

One of my all time favourites.

Wouldn't part with my copy for a golden chopper!

:thumbsup:

Sean

don't think anybody wants to part with it :)

would sit very nicely next to my nancy day.

hopefully when I do finally come across one the price won''t be to silly.

And I assume the shepherd bros in the initial post are the same group who recorded on gaye ? they must be...... :hypo:

Social source share

And I assume the shepherd bros in the initial post are the same group who recorded on gaye ? they must be...... :thumbsup:

That's a pretty safe assumption, and Gaye wasn't the only other label they recorded with. I'm going to plow through old notes this weekend to see if I can figure out where I got any information about this release at all.

Social source share

That's a pretty safe assumption, and Gaye wasn't the only other label they recorded with. I'm going to plow through old notes this weekend to see if I can figure out where I got any information about this release at all.

I do have a vivid recolaction of another shepherd bros release on a pink label but can't remember the label or titles ?

I listened to a clip when it went through ebay but in the end decided not to bid.

Social source share

I do have a vivid recolaction of another shepherd bros release on a pink label but can't remember the label or titles ?

I listened to a clip when it went through ebay but in the end decided not to bid.

Yep. That's the one on the Baby label (some here may also know the Leroy Redding 45 on that label). I'm doing some additional research on the Sheppard Brothers right now for my blog, which is partially the reason I was hoping to clear up the B side of the Mojo release. Hopefully I'll have everything I need to finish the blog entry sometime next week. Funny, that one doesn't show up in Popsike or Collectors Frenzy for some reason. Dylan, do you remember when it was on ebay?

Edited by Agent45
Social source share

Yep. That's the one on the Baby label (some here may also know the Leroy Redding 45 on that label). I'm doing some additional research on the Sheppard Brothers right now for my blog, which is partially the reason I was hoping to clear up the B side of the Mojo release. Hopefully I'll have everything I need to finish the blog entry sometime next week. Funny, that one doesn't show up in Popsike or Collectors Frenzy for some reason. Dylan, do you remember when it was on ebay?

it was a good few years ago now I can't remember which year excatly. Sorry.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hi Chalky! You mean the site listed in my signature? laugh.gif

I'm trying to remember where I even first heard of that Shepperd (sic) Brothers 45! I'm not even that old, and my memory is already fading.

There was a copy of sheperd bros on ebay between 12 to 24 months ago. That was the first time I have ever seen it or was aware it existed. It sounded very good as well.

Sorry I can't help with your request these are the only 3 records I am aware of on this label.

Social source share

I was the winner of the Mojo 45 off ebay Brian, sound was just a year or 2 late for me though (although it is excellent, would kill a lot of people here) so it now has a new home, do still have them on Worldwide which is absolutely beyond stupendous (apart from yours and this one do you know of any other copies? what on earth were they doing on a country label!?), sadly think their Baby release is total pants, had the Leroy Redding on that label too but it's a bit run of the mill, but would love to read whatever you find out about the Shepperd Bros, however they spell it, for sure..

Social source share

they always sounded like kids to me

Lil Sputnik was the kid. He shows up very briefly on the Worldwide 45 as well as the Baby 45. Fingers crossed that I can work out a good enough bid for Goner's Mojo 45 on eBay right now....a sentiment I fear I also share with a number of others here. *sigh*

Social source share

I was the winner of the Mojo 45 off ebay Brian, sound was just a year or 2 late for me though (although it is excellent, would kill a lot of people here) so it now has a new home, do still have them on Worldwide which is absolutely beyond stupendous (apart from yours and this one do you know of any other copies? what on earth were they doing on a country label!?), sadly think their Baby release is total pants, had the Leroy Redding on that label too but it's a bit run of the mill, but would love to read whatever you find out about the Shepperd Bros, however they spell it, for sure..

I don't know of any other copies of the WW single, and I wish you had floated your copy of the Mojo single by me first, but alas....I can only do so much. Ha! I think you're largely correct about both 45s on the Baby label. They're not that special outside of their rarity. I'm still working on learning more about the band and the WW label. I've spoken with a handful of people who were close, but not quite as close as I'd prefer. Inching closer, however (I think).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert