Who Are The Current Big Buyers

Kjw

Years ago it was easy to tell who was buying the rare records - most were going to the top name DJ's in this country but I guess the internet has opened up the marketplace and a lot of these records end up in Europe, Asia or stay in the US.

Who are the big buyers now who are paying out huge amounts for records that are sometimes not in great condition - ie the Frank Wilson that JM sold for Kenny Burrell and the recent poor quality copy of Fluorescent Smogg.

Are these people who are actively involved in the rare soul scene or are they just trophy hunters

Do these records get played out or do they just disappear into a collection box never to be seen again

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Years ago it was easy to tell who was buying the rare records - most were going to the top name DJ's in this country but I guess the internet has opened up the marketplace and a lot of these records end up in Europe, Asia or stay in the US.

Who are the big buyers now who are paying out huge amounts for records that are sometimes not in great condition - ie the Frank Wilson that JM sold for Kenny Burrell and the recent poor quality copy of Fluorescent Smogg.

Are these people who are actively involved in the rare soul scene or are they just trophy hunters

Do these records get played out or do they just disappear into a collection box never to be seen again

That is the $64000 .00 question ! !

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm not sure if i care who owns the big ticket sounds, it's the cheap brilliant ones that we can all get hold of that get my juices flowing.

Social source share

I'm not sure if i care who owns the big ticket sounds, it's the cheap brilliant ones that we can all get hold of that get my juices flowing.

Agreed Matt - I like nothing better than the rush from securing a first rate tune for little outlay .

Malc

Social source share

===================================================================================

With tongue in cheek (well, half in) I would offer this piece of brilliant logic...............

If it's worth a lot of money then there must be a demand for it

If there's a demand for it then it must have been heard by a good number of people

If it's been heard by a good number of people then it must have been played a lot

If it's been played a lot then it must have acquired 'Oldie' status

.....why on earth are you paying good money for that?.....nobody wants to hear that anymore, do they?:thumbup:

Just thinking out loud!!!

best

dogstoat

Doesn't always work like that there are plenty of Big Money Tunes You Don't Hear that much!! :lol::thumbup:

Social source share

This sounds more like a "...who are the big buyers and can anyone send me their email addresses" type thread smile.gif

If I had those type of records to sell they would have gone a long time ago. :thumbup:

I've collected a few times over the past 35 years and the last time I let them go for good. I wasn't playing them out anywhere and didn't really play them at home - it's easier to stick a compilation CD in the player than keep getting up every 2 or 3 minutes to change a record. It seemed a waste of time having them stuck in boxes for me to have a look at now and again so they got sold, hopefully to people who play them out.

I'm just curious to know who spends £1000's on certain records, sometimes regardless of condition, and what they do with them.

Social source share

Don't want to be a spoil sport, but this is a great subject over a few beers with mates. Not sure it's a good one in the public domain, thinking taxman, wives or husbans reading this etc

I'd prefer to know who all the idiots are who start the bidding off ,actually thinking theyre gonna get a FLUORESCENT SMOGG for about $50 :thumbup:

Don't think any of the so called "big ticket " items doing the rounds on ebay these days ,go that unnoticed ,that some lucky sod gets em for peanuts :thumbup:

"Buy it now " maybe ....but live auction ......not with that big advert on here staring out of every page you open :lol:

Social source share

This sounds more like a "...who are the big buyers and can anyone send me their email addresses" type thread smile.gif

If I had those type of records to sell they would have gone a long time ago. :thumbup:

I've collected a few times over the past 35 years and the last time I let them go for good. I wasn't playing them out anywhere and didn't really play them at home - it's easier to stick a compilation CD in the player than keep getting up every 2 or 3 minutes to change a record. It seemed a waste of time having them stuck in boxes for me to have a look at now and again so they got sold, hopefully to people who play them out.

I'm just curious to know who spends £1000's on certain records, sometimes regardless of condition, and what they do with them.

I have been accused before of overpaying for records. But if you want a record and can afford is it overpaying?

I have, based on the reverse of that same logic, seriously underpaid for records too.

I spend, compared to the average buyer I suppose, quite a lot on records but value is all about how much you want it and how much you'll pay for it.

As to what I do with them? Just play them at home mostly. I only ever play vinyl at home and don't mind getting up every 3 minutes or so to change the record.

Phil

Social source share

I'm glad i'm not involved in the chase for rare records anymore, keeps you poor and for me a pointless exercise as I no longer DJ anymore not to say I don't dabble but tend to buy quirky littlle tunes, fair play and respect to those who still love the chase, sold a stack of records over the past three to four years with no regrets apart from the one's I've dropped bollocks on price wise lol.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I'm glad i'm not involved in the chase for rare records anymore, keeps you poor and for me a pointless exercise as I no longer DJ anymore not to say I don't dabble but tend to buy quirky littlle tunes, fair play and respect to those who still love the chase, sold a stack of records over the past three to four years with no regrets apart from the one's I've dropped bollocks on price wise lol.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I know where you're coming from Mark, but each to their own.

I don't only chase rare records myself. I'm after every record that I like and that I don't already own.

I don't DJ either and never have particularly (other than the odd night here and there) but still just have a burning desire to own them all on the original vinyl.

Phil

Social source share

I know where you're coming from Mark, but each to their own.

I don't only chase rare records myself. I'm after every record that I like and that I don't already own.

I don't DJ either and never have particularly (other than the odd night here and there) but still just have a burning desire to own them all on the original vinyl.

Phil

Respect to you Phil, we go back a long way and we both had the same passion very early on for the desire to chase and own nice records, guess I've just lost the passion, still love the music just not that bothered about owning the records anymore he say's with a stone mint Little Richie sat in front of me lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Respect to you Phil, we go back a long way and we both had the same passion very early on for the desire to chase and own nice records, guess I've just lost the passion, still love the music just not that bothered about owning the records anymore he say's with a stone mint Little Richie sat in front of me lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I have to say Mark, the thought of your good self without a box of heavy hitting northern soul 45s is hard to imagine... I know exactly where you are coming from.. I had a fairly decent collection in the 80's/ early 90s ( not up to your standard, mind ) and sold nearly all the biggies over a 10 year period... It was only when they were all gone did I really feel a sense of loss( at 4 am sitting at Prestatyn 5 years ago with Ste Moch and Slick !!) So I bought all the ones back that I missed at 10 times the cost along with a whole lot more I never had in the first place... some I just can't justify their current value so accept that I had 'em once...

I've spoken to lots of people who've sold up and its 50/50 ... some regret; some say its a monkey off their back !

Collecting is part addiction part passion, so...

Wish you well Mark, and as you say, you still dabble and buy tunes so...you haven't really stopped collecting !!

all the best,

Russ

Edited by Lobster Madras
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Doesn't always work like that there are plenty of Big Money Tunes You Don't Hear that much!! :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

I'm hard pressed to think of one.

They are usually hammered by the DJs that own the originals, or played on boots by others.

Social source share

I have to say Mark, the thought of your good self without a box of heavy hitting northern soul 45s is hard to imagine... I know exactly where you are coming from.. I had a fairly decent collection in the 80's/ early 90s ( not up to your standard, mind ) and sold nearly all the biggies over a 10 year period... It was only when they were all gone did I really feel a sense of loss( at 4 am sitting at Prestatyn 5 years ago with Ste Moch and Slick !!) So I bought all the ones back that I missed at 10 times the cost along with a whole lot more I never had in the first place... some I just can't justify their current value so accept that I had 'em once...

I've spoken to lots of people who've sold up and its 50/50 ... some regret; some say its a monkey off their back !

Collecting is part addiction part passion, so...

Wish you well Mark, and as you say, you still dabble and buy tunes so...you haven't really stopped collecting !!

all the best,

Russ

Hi Russ, perhaps I'm playing it down a bit to be honest, still got a couple of nice 200 count rainy day boxes upstairs infact sorting a few tunes out for a house party we are going to Saturday, I guess the pressure has gone now to constantly buy new tunes to be at the top of your game when DJ'ing, I have forgotton some of the tunes I've had through my hands over the years, regrets none apart from some of the prices they sold for compared to now lol only records at the end of the day lol now football is far more important and I still spend a fortune on watching Chelsea with my lad oh look Cheryl Williams best that goes in the box for Saturday lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert