What Is This Acetate?

Guest Pointman

Guest Pointman

I found this acetate recently in Texas. Unlabeled, no names on the thing and it looks like someone scrawled "Rest & Dress" on the thing.

It sounds like a backing track to me.

I googled "Rest & dress" and it seems there was a soul 45 with the same name by James Cole but I've not been able to find a soundclip of it.

Anyone have a clue what it may be?

Have a listen. Thanks.

DivShare File - acetate rest _ dress SAMPLE.mp3

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

So it is the backing track for the James Cole 45?

Yes, it is.. Exact same backing as the released 45. :unsure:

Is your acetate one-sided ?? The flip to the Spectra release is called 'Good Guys'.. The above scan doesn't reflect the true label colour of the disc either - as the label is a much darker blue in reality. I must also add that - apart from my own copy - this is the first time I've actually seen another. Not saying it is a super-rare 45, or anything like, (although.. you never know ??) just that as it's probably not that well known & I don't see copies listed for sale.

Social source share

Guest Pointman

Yes, it is.. Exact same backing as the released 45. :unsure:

Is your acetate one-sided ?? The flip to the Spectra release is called 'Good Guys'.. The above scan doesn't reflect the true label colour of the disc either - as the label is a much darker blue in reality. I must also add that - apart from my own copy - this is the first time I've actually seen another. Not saying it is a super-rare 45, or anything like, (although.. you never know ??) just that as it's probably not that well known & I don't see copies listed for sale.

Thanks, You're the man,

Indeed, it's a one-sided acetate.

Do you know where the record is from by chance?

Social source share

Thanks, You're the man,

Indeed, it's a one-sided acetate.

Do you know where the record is from by chance?

I'm afraid I don't !! :lol:

When I first got the 45 I tried to do some research but pretty much drew a blank - unable to find any info about the label or artist.

From the scant details provided on the label my end conclusion (to date) is one based entirely on supposition, and not backed by any hard facts.

The producers were Jim Hollingsworth & Robert Staunton - with Jamala credited as the music publishers.

There was a New York producer by the name of Robert Staunton in the early 60's - who later teamed up with Robert Walker and spent time writing and producing titles in Detroit for, at least, the Motown stable.

He also had Chicago connections, with co-production/arrangement credits on (at least) one Okeh 45 (Belgianettes 'The Train/My Blue Heaven') as well as involvement at the Chess & Checker stables.

Both Walker & Staunton co-wrote Joan Baker's 'Everybody's Talking' on New York's Diamond Records - where the publisher was Lamaja, a publishing company owned by Chicago Producer Leo Austell. Just coincidence that the Spectra 45 publisher is Jamala ?? Or could there be a direct link ??

A co-writer of 'The Train' by The Belgianetts was Carl Fisher of the group The Vibrations. Although they were an L.A. group they also did work in Chicago, for the Checker label.

A bit of a minefield really, with 'leads' (concerning Staunton) shooting off in all directions. It's obvious he was very prolific in the industry and probably had input on records from lots of other geogrphical areas of the U.S. too. But, using the facts stated above, a lot of his work was based in N.Y. & Chicago, so possibly the Spectra label is local to one of those two states ??

Hopefully Boba on here might read this thread and possibly be able to throw some light on the matter. :unsure:

Sorry I'm not of too much use with actual facts for the James Cole 45, but you can see where I'm coming from with my 'conclusion'.. And even that is only if the Robert Staunton's are indeed one & the same person. :wave:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

I'm afraid I don't !! sad.gif

When I first got the 45 I tried to do some research but pretty much drew a blank - unable to find any info about the label or artist.

From the scant details provided on the label my end conclusion (to date) is one based entirely on supposition, and not backed by any hard facts.

The producers were Jim Hollingsworth & Robert Staunton - with Jamala credited as the music publishers.

There was a New York producer by the name of Robert Staunton in the early 60's - who later teamed up with Robert Walker and spent time writing and producing titles in Detroit for, at least, the Motown stable.

He also had Chicago connections, with co-production/arrangement credits on (at least) one Okeh 45 (Belgianettes 'The Train/My Blue Heaven') as well as involvement at the Chess & Checker stables.

Both Walker & Staunton co-wrote Joan Baker's 'Everybody's Talking' on New York's Diamond Records - where the publisher was Lamaja, a publishing company owned by Chicago Producer Leo Austell. Just coincidence that the Spectra 45 publisher is Jamala ?? Or could there be a direct link ??

A co-writer of 'The Train' by The Belgianetts was Carl Fisher of the group The Vibrations. Although they were an L.A. group they also did work in Chicago, for the Checker label.

A bit of a minefield really, with 'leads' (concerning Staunton) shooting off in all directions. It's obvious he was very prolific in the industry and probably had input on records from lots of other geogrphical areas of the U.S. too. But, using the facts stated above, a lot of his work was based in N.Y. & Chicago, so possibly the Spectra label is local to one of those two states ??

Hopefully Boba on here might read this thread and possibly be able to throw some light on the matter. :thumbup:

Sorry I'm not of too much use with actual facts for the James Cole 45, but you can see where I'm coming from with my 'conclusion'.. And even that is only if the Robert Staunton's are indeed one & the same person. :thumbup:

Good detective work Johnny!

Also don't forget that anyone can always look up any publishing information via the BMI

BMI Website

Or ASCAP

ASCAP Website

All searches and info are free and you can search for songs, songwriters and publishers, so you can cross reference stuff which may help you pin down some key factors in where a record may be from, when recorded, when released, where was the publisher based etc, etc

I don't have time to check this one out, but a search via the above two sites should glean something.

Good track by the way! A really interesting arrangement and some intricate playing on there too. Good finds!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Good detective work Johnny!

Also don't forget that anyone can always look up any publishing information via the BMI

BMI Website

Or ASCAP

ASCAP Website

All searches and info are free and you can search for songs, songwriters and publishers, so you can cross reference stuff which may help you pin down some key factors in where a record may be from, when recorded, when released, where was the publisher based etc, etc

I don't have time to check this one out, but a search via the above two sites should glean something.

Good track by the way! A really interesting arrangement and some intricate playing on there too. Good finds!

Ian D :thumbsup:

Nice one, Ian.. thumbsup.gif

Sometimes certain things can be that obvious that they don't cross your mind.. Can't see the wood for the trees and all that. :thumbsup:

I'll do some more diggin' and post any further findings on here.. I'll have to sort out scans & refosoul links for both sides of the 45 too. Agree 100% re it's arrangement. It was it's 'oddball' sound & 'quirkiness' that attracted me and prompted it's purchase in the first place..

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Guest Pointman

Nice one, Ian.. :thumbsup:

Sometimes certain things can be that obvious that they don't cross your mind.. Can't see the wood for the trees and all that. :thumbsup:

I'll do some more diggin' and post any further findings on here.. I'll have to sort out scans & refosoul links for both sides of the 45 too. Agree 100% re it's arrangement. It was it's 'oddball' sound & 'quirkiness' that attracted me and prompted it's purchase in the first place..

Indeed, the quirkiness sets it apart but I just don't think this one is for me for that very reason. I think I'm going to try and find a loving home for it.

Social source share

Indeed, the quirkiness sets it apart but I just don't think this one is for me for that very reason. I think I'm going to try and find a loving home for it.

Pity the 45's not better know as some collectors like the one off instrumental takes of a big 45 ! Good Luck With It ! ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Nice, unusual record. I like it. Good lyrics. Thanks for posting. The acetate sounds like it was cut to play behind PAs by the singer (they left the backing singers on). Guess you'd worked that out, though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert