How Come They Never Made It Big?

• Replies 281
  • Views 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

And another on Atlantic from the Cliff Nobles period which also seemed to be in everyone's box but which never took off to my knowledge. I'd imagine that if this had turned up on a litlle known Philly label in the last few years it would hailed as a monster. Is it still cheap as chips?

"Good Love Gone Bad" - The Ambassadors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iThCQR1cCkE

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Pete Higson

Just a few off the top of my head before I wind down and look through the shelves tomorrow

Hey, Ian, this can go on for ever more !

Bobby Mandolph "Got to get you back"

Jonny Newbag ditto

Irma & the Larks "Without you baby"

Pearline Grey & the Pasengers "I don't wanna cry"

Miles Grayson trio "You were wrong"

As you say, too cheap at the time to go anywhere,

As musical quality goes Brewsters millions .

Good night

Pete H.

Social source share

That happened to all of us Roger. In fact the Aldora Britton record probably suffered because it was perceived as too common at the time, so being on Soul Bowl's list for a couple of quid at the time probably killed it stone dead if the truth's known. Wasn't rare enough for us egotistical DJ's. :D

We were dickheads. It's one of my favourites now. I don't why it took me 35 years to get the full impact of it. :lol:

I will second that statement Ian : it was always on lists , and if you did purchase a SP , it was amongst them .

As a result of this , I think we became too blase about it - blinkered into believing rarity made a better record - and pushed it to one side instead of " getting behind it " .

Malc

Social source share

Guest Pete Higson

Walking Up a One Way Street came out on Nola first - atlantic was the National release.

Yes, Nola, Knew it was a local lable,saw it on a list not too long ago, not too much money either

must look for it again

Social source share

Or this, Greg Perry....Love Control...Chess

Tried three methods of inserting youtube clips.....all wont load...........off back to bed.

Here's the tip Blake. When the insert media box drops down, delete the https:// thing in the box and then paste in your copy of the clip otherwise you get 2 x https:// which won't work.

And you're right. Another cheap as chips record back then that was ignored due to it being everywhere!

"Love Control" - Greg Perry

Social source share

And another one by a GREAT GREAT vocalist. I've only heard two records by him and they're both f*cking great. Whatever happened to him and are there any other records he made?

It's beyond me how this wasn't a huge record. Maybe a little too sophisticated at the time? I dunno but this is EXACTLY what I wanna hear - great song, great lyrics, great arrangement. What's not to like?

By the way the title equates the shape of a woman to a coca cola bottle. Interesting ay?

"Colalined Baby" - Dave Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3CurdTJn0o

Social source share

I will second that statement Ian : it was always on lists , and if you did purchase a SP , it was amongst them .

As a result of this , I think we became too blase about it - blinkered into believing rarity made a better record - and pushed it to one side instead of " getting behind it " .

Malc

I blame the bloody Torch DJ's! :D

Shoulda been huge in '72!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

chris hamilton - i've got to have your love - bell

IS THERE AN ISSUE OF THIS ONLY SEEN DEMOS ? CRACKING TUNE FROM 67

KEV

Hi Kevin

Bloody hell. Heard this once before in my whole life at the Pendelum. Manged to catch it on tape that night but have never known what it was called for all those years. Never heard it played out since.

There is now only one record out there that I never hear, haven't got it on any format and no idea what it is called! Last heard it at the Burnley Circulation all dayer about 6 years ago and missed the DJ who played it. I listen for hours on You Tube/Refo Soul to try to find it but no joy.

Only northern soul could do that to someone!

Social source share

Hi Kevin

Bloody hell. Heard this once before in my whole life at the Pendelum. Manged to catch it on tape that night but have never known what it was called for all those years. Never heard it played out since.

There is now only one record out there that I never hear, haven't got it on any format and no idea what it is called! Last heard it at the Burnley Circulation all dayer about 6 years ago and missed the DJ who played it. I listen for hours on You Tube/Refo Soul to try to find it but no joy.

That's the whole point of thread in a way Brian. Who knows why some records didn't make it first time around? People might not be aware of 'em, or have completely forgotten about them or just never thought to listen to 'em for one reason or another. Also we have to bear in mind that there could be a lot of casual browsers that maybe just want to hear some recommendations from people. If that results in a few people wanting to add to their collections that's not such a bad thing is it?

And I bet those Chris Hamilton's are thinner on the ground then people may think. Cheap as chips back in the day but I've personally never found one ever.

Great record!

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Kevin

pleased to have helped you out on that one ,i do not dj except on rare occasions when asked, but if i come across a great sounding tune i will buy it and have accumulated a few hundred not mega priced tunes over the years of which this was one ,

kev

Social source share

Hi Kevin

=========

i spun chris hamilton at the marrs bar niter, and rob smith cudnt believe he hadnt heard for years,,,,,,theres loads of gr8 records like this...

Social source share

And another one by a GREAT GREAT vocalist. I've only heard two records by him and they're both f*cking great. Whatever happened to him and are there any other records he made?

It's beyond me how this wasn't a huge record. Maybe a little too sophisticated at the time? I dunno but this is EXACTLY what I wanna hear - great song, great lyrics, great arrangement. What's not to like?

By the way the title equates the shape of a woman to a coca cola bottle. Interesting ay?

"Colalined Baby" - Dave Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3CurdTJn0o

Ian D :hatsoff2:

This was a big spin at the howard Mallett in Cambridge by Tony Dellar.

so was Sandy Hadley and I don't think I can remember hearing it played much anywhere else! I often request it out!

Social source share

Another Gem Out Of A 70's Soulpack ! !:lol::hatsoff2:

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=QlqljNRwkPY

LOL, you're right. I don't know many they pressed but I bet the majority of 'em are over here. I think Sam played this for a while didn't he?

And whilst we're on KILLER Southern tracks which should have made it bigger, how about this one.....

"'Til I Get It Right" - Willie Hobbs

Can be picked up for £30 these days. Don't think I've heard it out for well over 30 years......

Social source share

LOL, you're right. I don't know many they pressed but I bet the majority of 'em are over here. I think Sam played this for a while didn't he?

And whilst we're on KILLER Southern tracks which should have made it bigger, how about this one.....

"'Til I Get It Right" - Willie Hobbs

Can be picked up for £30 these days. Don't think I've heard it out for well over 30 years......

I Think your right on the Charlie Whitehead Track Ian !! :thumbup: I hadn't heard this for 30 odd years and the girlfriend played a cd in the car a few weeks ago second track in!! I nearly fell out the door I thought everbody had binned it !! I Think what did it was the Amazing b4 the name most of the lads back then took the p*ss thats why probabley Sam was the only one with the bottle to play it!! And I wouldn't be surprised if it was covered Up :lol::D :D :hatsoff2: Atb John.

Social source share

Here's one that turned up circa '75 but kinda got lost in the whole Northern/Modern controversy at the time. But boy, what fantastic vocals from David Simmons on this early Philly item. Sounds much better now than I remember back in the day, so maybe it's time will come again.....

"Human" - Neo Experience

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

I found this in L.A. in 1976 and managed to keep it until the late 80's when Sam prised it out of my hands. It was a little too messy for tastes in the 70's and I don't know if it ever took off anywhere but it should have 'cos it's just such an atmospheric record by one of the all-time greats. Lovely record!

"I'm Having So Much Fun" - Willie Tee

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Was a regular play at Middleton

Took me a few years to find one. A tough one

Edited by CheltSoulNights
Social source share

A regular play at the Yate Allnighters

As I stated in my reply ( posting # 57 ) regarding " Monday Monday " -

" My apologies Jerry ( Jerry Hipkiss ) . My visits to to both venues ( Yate and St Ives ) obviously coincided with the nights it was not played . Good to know it received spins "

What I should have originally put in my posting , was to state that I did not hear it played at a venue after The Torch . It was obviously picked up on several years later thus enabling it to recieve the plays at Yate and St Ives .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

As I stated in my reply ( posting # 57 ) regarding " Monday Monday " - " My apologies Jerry ( Jerry Hipkiss ) . My visits to to both venues ( Yate and St Ives ) obviously coincided with the nights it was not played . Good to know it received spins " What I should have originally put in my posting , was to state that I did not hear it played at a venue after The Torch . It was obviously picked up on several years later thus enabling it to recieve the plays at Yate and St Ives . Malc
==== GOT A TAPE OF THIS WITH DAVE EVISON SPINNING IT IN Ms CIRCA 75....GREAT OLDIE. MALC.. Edited by wiganer1
Social source share

==== GOT A TAPE OF THIS WITH DAVE EVISON SPINNING IT IN Ms CIRCA 75....GREAT OLDIE. MALC..

allways remember this one from M`S, funnily enough one of our guests played it last year, sounded great to me, however a certain lady no names mentioned

said " can`t believe he played mamas & the papas" far too many ciders dearestthumbsup.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

This one never went massive enough to now be regarded as an Oldie/Classic (due to it being an easy find?).

Even more surprising considering it saw a UK release as well.

Pure uptempo NSoul that doesn't break the bank balance.

Shot up in price when i played it down the 100club, £10 to £11 biggrin.gif

Social source share

Nick Hacket used to play it quite a bit at the old Middleton along with another cheapie The Capitols-I Got To Handle It Karen.

Cheers

Martyn

Funny that Capitols i played last week at Rugby used to play at the same time and Nick a regular 100club attendee,maybe i was a major influence back then laugh.gif

Social source share

One that baffles me is the 4 Tempos-Got To Have You on Rampart.(maybe it was big somewhere for a week)...still cheap as chips and a stormer of a record.Not even on youtube as is Chris Bartley-You Get Next To My Heart.....all these great soul records and people seem to be chasing novelty latin soul/pop that was big in the early eighties.

Social source share

One that baffles me is the 4 Tempos-Got To Have You on Rampart.(maybe it was big somewhere for a week)...still cheap as chips and a stormer of a record.Not even on youtube as is Chris Bartley-You Get Next To My Heart.....all these great soul records and people seem to be chasing novelty latin soul/pop that was big in the early eighties.

Talking of the Tempos, how did this not make it? It's got everything great tune, soulful vocal, great hook, swirlng strings and punchy horns. Could it be that it was on the 'B' side to the bootleg of "Countdown (Here I Come)" I wonder.......?

"Sad Sad Memories" - The Tempos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zwtp7TzdfI

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

I have often wondered why this record did not make it .

A notable spin at Hose Street , but never heard it elsewhere .

Malc

Now if you still want to spin a Dee Dee Warwicke track but without those tiresome Mamas & Papas comparisons, you could do a lot worse than this......

Was always surprised that this never took off in the 70's. Pretty faultless to these ears.....

"Don't You Ever Give Up On Me" - Dee Dee Warwicke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8krUvYUAs

Social source share

Guest peter burke

Here's one that turned up circa '75 but kinda got lost in the whole Northern/Modern controversy at the time. But boy, what fantastic vocals from David Simmons on this early Philly item. Sounds much better now than I remember back in the day, so maybe it's time will come again.....

"Human" - Neo Experience

It is indeed Ian.

Sam dug it out a couple of years back in Bamberg and went down really well.

Heard it again couple of times since which annoyingly always reminds me that a mate gave me a couple of old packs from Soul Bowl containing a copy about 7 year ago and I let Henry Atkinson have it for a tenner!

Pete

Social source share

It is indeed Ian.

Sam dug it out a couple of years back in Bamberg and went down really well.

Heard it again couple of times since which annoyingly always reminds me that a mate gave me a couple of old packs from Soul Bowl containing a copy about 7 year ago and I let Henry Atkinson have it for a tenner!

Pete

Yep, killer record. I've revived it on the radio show over the last couple of years too and it always sounds great. There's two pressings of it too 'cos the one I used to have was just a plain yellow label with black print.

A bit like this one in fact. Another one from the same era which could have slotted in nicely with some of the Mel Britts, Anderson Brothers etc, etc

"I'll Always Love You" - Quinn Harris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOtmYUlFWPE

Social source share

Have these ever had their day in the sun

Casualeers-You Betta Be Sure (Laurie)

Chris Calloway-Youre Something Else(CUB)

Alaina Reed-Don't Let Me Fall In Love Alone (Capitol)

Debbie Taylor-Don't Nobody Mess With My Baby (GWP)

Marvellows-Piece Of Silk (WB)

Gambrells-Fall In Love For The First Time (CUB)

Otis Brown-Will You Wait (Lujuna)

Timoth Carr -A Stop Along (Hot Biscuit)

Jeannie Fortune-Once More With Feeling (RCA)

Southwind Symphony-Coming Home (Glolite)

Gentle Persuasion-Dynamite Explodes

The Casualeers I thought would have had plays off the back of Dance Dance Dance??,The Southwind Symphony off the back of Lou Pride it being the instrumental (in every Domar soul pack I bought) and the Gentle Persuasion a cheaper version of Honey and the Bees Dynamite explodes...........all still cheapies.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert