How Come They Never Made It Big?

Willie Parker were big at Market Harborough niter, along with the Duettes Every beat of my heaert, both came out on president at the same time

Yep. It may sound hard to believe in this internet friendly age but in the 70's many people's listening habits were dictated by where they lived. The regional variation on popular Northern Soul in the UK in the early 70's was actually pretty huge. The difference in 'big' records between Yorkshire and, say, Nottingham or Leicester was substantial and quite often was merely down to what records were available in the local areas.

The one that always springs to mind for me was Ila Vann's "You Made Me This Way" which was easily available in Nottingham but pretty difficult anywhere else.

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 281
  • Views 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Here's an underplayed side that I like to spin when I get chance , it's the flip to the popular " Shadow of a memory " and bears the same backing as " Lucky Lady " by The Jones Brothers ....

And also 21st Century on Dot 'Every little heartache' Who also cut 'Shadow'

My contribution to this thread would be 5 Wagers ' Come and ask' I can't get it off

refosoul at the moment but look it up you won't be dissapointed

Social source share

And also 21st Century on Dot 'Every little heartache' Who also cut 'Shadow'

My contribution to this thread would be 5 Wagers ' Come and ask' I can't get it off

refosoul at the moment but look it up you won't be dissapointed

I have often wondered why this record did not make it .

A notable spin at Hose Street , but never heard it elsewhere .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Definitely got spins at St. Ives and Yate...

My apologies Jerry .

My visits to to both venues obviously coincided with the nights it was not played biggrin.gif

Good to know it received spins :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

Great thread Ian. All these are great records & worthy of an odd play at an occasional SOUL NIGHT, but with the exception of maybe Tee Fletcher, not a chance that any of these would make it big at a Nighter in 2010/2011, non of em !!!. Dont know the Bobby Hutton so cant comment.

One of the records I would like to see eventually make it large, would be Queen Yhana, I have championed this on & off for years &it became quite a popular sound at my Uptown Down South promotions a few years back, but whilst not unknown, it has never caught the imagination of a DJ popular enough to do it justice, might just go one day tho, particularly as that more funk sound seems to be better excepted recently........................the cry will be 'Its DISCO shite' I'm sure, but I reckon this could have its 15 mins of fame on a dance floor near you given half chance.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=GQaznBxku-Y

Larry Levan, Paradise Garage heaven.............think I might be slightly too ambitious expecting this will get heard out more, but hey ya can dream I spose..........

Russ

Love it to bits mate, as I do much of Patrick Adams early prods, but I agree most on the NS will snear.

Social source share

OK, a few more that sprung to mind......

This was one of the standard features in Snowy from Doncaster's box along with one of the three copies of the Invitations "Skiing In The Snow". We always knew it was a winner but there were never enough copies in the right hands to make it the biggie it should have been........

"My Heart's Not In It Anymore" - The Steinways

Ian D :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

And this. My most wanted record ever at the time after hearing it on a Soussan tape. I eventually found a copy in the U.S. and then sold it to Sam. Rare as f*ck but bloody brilliant! I could hear shit like this all night.........:lol:

"How Long" - Walter & Sisters

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Mammoth mammoth mammoth feel good anthem. Shoulda been No.1 by a country mile. What happened?

I think it's the greatest male duet performance I've ever heard in my life and I saw Sam & Dave live........:lol:

I could hear this for the rest of my life and never ever get fed up of it. A truly brilliant record by any standard possible. How come some stuff sells for £5K plus and a record like this can be snagged relatively cheap? No contest for me!

If God ever granted me a wish, it would be for me to be at this recording session to witness the sheer vibe and interplay between two KILLER vocalists at the top of their form. I don't think it gets much better really......

"We Got To Keep On" - The Casanova Two

This is EXACTLY what I envisaged this thread being about. Records you've always loved which somehow never made it as big as they should have.

Bring 'em on. Share the knowledge.

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

You never stop learning do ya.....?

I suddenly remembered one of my favourite arrangements of all time - Rock Candy's "Alone With No Love" and when I pumped it into You Tube, lo and behold, another slightly sexier version suddenly came up.

It's exactly the same recording as Rock Candy but this group's name sounds so much better. If you're studying for a music degree in the greatest arrangements of all time, then congratulations 'cos here is the the holy grail........

Joe Tate's one of my heroes along with the rest of 'em............

"Alone With No Love" - The Contemplations

Social source share

Mammoth mammoth mammoth feel good anthem. Shoulda been No.1 by a country mile. What happened?

I think it's the greatest male duet performance I've ever heard in my life and I saw Sam & Dave live........:lol:

I could hear this for the rest of my life and never ever get fed up of it. A truly brilliant record by any standard possible. How come some stuff sells for £5K plus and a record like this can be snagged relatively cheap? No contest for me!

If God ever granted me a wish, it would be for me to be at this recording session to witness the sheer vibe and interplay between two KILLER vocalists at the top of their form. I don't think it gets much better really......

This is EXACTLY what I envisaged this thread being about. Records you've always loved which somehow never made it as big as they should have.

Here, here, give that man a ceegar, this is actually an anthem at the more progressive doe,s in Aycliffe over the last 30 years or so, never really heard it any where else though Ian, likewise one of my favourite tunes ever. I am pretty sure one half of the two is Freddie Hughes, written by him and he also does a tremendous solo version on his Wand album.

Kev

Social source share

Really absolutely impossible to beat in many ways but why wasn't it huge.....?

"Gotta Tell Somebody (About My Baby)" - Tony Talent

could not agree more ian , apparently this one used to rock the rafters at cleethorpes too whilst i was away in H M R N did not hear it at wigan love it

kev

inst only on refosoul sorry

post-2477-0-93247600-1290244425_thumb.jp

post-2477-0-26645300-1290244505_thumb.jp

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

Guest phillybuster

First heard by me on an Andy Simpson cassette in 1974 on the way back from Sale Mecca along with Clyde McPhatter "Please Give Me One More Chance" on the same bloody tape! Absolute killer!

"I'm So Glad I'm Me" - The Ebony's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dspOjQhVgmc

Flip it over and you get the fantastic 45 only "Do You Like The Way I Love You"

Social source share

+ 1

Social source share

You never stop learning do ya.....?

I suddenly remembered one of my favourite arrangements of all time - Rock Candy's "Alone With No Love" and when I pumped it into You Tube, lo and behold, another slightly sexier version suddenly came up.

It's exactly the same recording as Rock Candy but this group's name sounds so much better. If you're studying for a music degree in the greatest arrangements of all time, then congratulations 'cos here is the the holy grail........

Joe Tate's one of my heroes along with the rest of 'em............

"Alone With No Love" - The Contemplations

Ian D :unsure:

Ian

I've always been of the understanding that Rock Candy is the name of the group on the A side "Alone With No Love" & The Contemplations is the actual name of the group & is the same tune but used as a filler on Rock Candy.So The Contemplations is the actual proper release under the groups real name, a lot harder to get hold of too.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Ian

I've always been of the understanding that Rock Candy is the name of the group on the A side "Alone With No Love" & The Contemplations is the actual name of the group & is the same tune but used as a filler on Rock Candy.So The Contemplations is the actual proper release under the groups real name, a lot harder to get hold of too.

Cheers

Martyn

Yep, that makes sense. Plus the instrumental is on the 'b' side of the Contemplations which makes it a dead cert for me! That's what I call a killer double-sider!

Social source share

OK, I can understand the slow intro putting people off but boy when it kicks off what a great record! Would have worked nicely in the same way that "Get Out" worked for Harold Melvin. Either way a fantastic vocal performance and great production! I carried it in my box for years and only ever played it a couple of times @ Samanthas I think. Never heard it anywhere since.......

"Only Love Can Save Me Now" - Al Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZDpZgkNv1g

Social source share

Another 100mph absolute corker which has been around since the year dot. I'd have thought that this might have broken through in the same way that Bunny Sigler's "Girl Don't Make Me Wait" which was around at the same time but no cigar. Another one which never realised it's full potential but which has never lost it's appeal for me.....

"I Only Get This Feeling" - Dee Irwin

Social source share

Really absolutely impossible to beat in many ways but why wasn't it huge.....?

"Gotta Tell Somebody (About My Baby)" - Tony Talent

Ian D :thumbup:

COS ITS CHEAP Ian i play it and has always had good reaction :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Pete Higson

Love the Aldora Ian, what a track, not got a copy anymore but wil look out for it

trouble is you never see them.

I remember mid 70s when you used to play at Burnley cricket club you had a

dozen or so copies of

a 73/74 U.S. release , think you sold them for a pound or two each,

I got one of which i've been looking for all afternoon, male artist,

whos name has gone , blue lable, think it was called "It's not too late"

I remember at the time you saying keep it a few years and this one

will go. Sorry that's best info i can give you, any ideas?

Hopefully, i'll find the bloody thing tomorrow !

Social source share

Love the Aldora Ian, what a track, not got a copy anymore but wil look out for it

dozen or so copies of

Al Johnson - It's not to late - Marina ?

al johnson - its not too late - marina

Edited by simon t
Social source share

dozen or so copies of

Was it Al Johnson "It's Not Too Late" on Marina by any chance?

"It's Not Too Late" - Al Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e26cbvErKxM

I found a box of 'em in Telford around that time............

Social source share

I'm constantly wading through stuff and every so often I get a great surprise when I re-listen to an old record that I'd either forgotten about or just ignored first time around. A few years ago I bumped into this one again - I probably hadn't heard it since 1973.

Completely blew me away, like I'd heard it only for the first time!

I just don't get it. The record has absolutely everything, fantastic vocalist, brfilliant Northern production and a song to die for. It's even got a perfect singalong chorus which peaks with the words, "Do It With Soul" for god's sake! An absolute loud, proud 100% Northern monster. That never was.

How did it get away? Why wasn't it huge? :unsure:

Why didn't I play it???? :unsure:

"Do It With Soul" - Aldora Britton

I have a few like this, but I thought it may be a nice idea to throw it open. What hidden gems do you have that you just love and would like to hear at a venue? How many times have you said, "if I was a DJ I'd bloody play this"!

Whack up the ones you feel really passionate about. Just imagine that you have a massive audience in front of you who are all moaning about too many oldies, not enough different tunes etc and generally looking for inspiration.

What gem would YOU pull out that that would blow 'em away?

Let's hear 'em!

Ian D :)

I remember this one on the Soul Bowl list, It was on a few times yet I didn't buy it at the time. :thumbup::thumbsup:

That soon changed once I heard it on the Soul Time CD

Picked it up A.S.A.P.

One of my favourites now.

Social source share

I remember this one on the Soul Bowl list, It was on a few times yet I didn't buy it at the time. :thumbup::thumbsup:

That soon changed once I heard it on the Soul Time CD

Picked it up A.S.A.P.

One of my favourites now.

That happened to all of us Roger. In fact the Aldora Britton record probably suffered because it was perceived as too common at the time, so being on Soul Bowl's list for a couple of quid at the time probably killed it stone dead if the truth's known. Wasn't rare enough for us egotistical DJ's. :unsure:

We were dickheads. It's one of my favourites now. I don't why it took me 35 years to get the full impact of it. :unsure:

Ian D :)

Social source share

Guest Pete Higson

That's it Ian ! very suprised you got it from my weak descriptoin,

Many thanks, will have to find it tomorrow and play it

cheers

Pete H

Social source share

That happened to all of us Roger. In fact the Aldora Britton record probably suffered because it was perceived as too common at the time, so being on Soul Bowl's list for a couple of quid at the time probably killed it stone dead if the truth's known. Wasn't rare enough for us egotistical DJ's. :thumbsup:

We were dickheads. It's one of my favourites now. I don't why it took me 35 years to get the full impact of it. :thumbup:

Strange thing is Ian

It transports me back to the 70's everytime I play it, It just has that feel to it.

Even though I didn't buy it until a few years ago. A Fantastic Record.

Social source share

You'd need plenty of energy to be able to dance to this these days! In fact the only person who could dance to it back then was Rob Ward from Huddersfield (R.I.P.).

It missed it's window. If it had been programmed next to "Night Owl" or a couple of the ultra-fast biggies it could have made it. Surprisingly difficult to turn up though so both it's speed and it's rarity hindered it's chances.

"Pitfall" - Ronnie Savoy

Ian D :D

PS I wonder if that's Edward Hamilton on the songwriting credits?

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I found this in L.A. in 1976 and managed to keep it until the late 80's when Sam prised it out of my hands. It was a little too messy for tastes in the 70's and I don't know if it ever took off anywhere but it should have 'cos it's just such an atmospheric record by one of the all-time greats. Lovely record!

"I'm Having So Much Fun" - Willie Tee

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest Pete Higson

Wooden Nickels , what a record ! bought that at the same time

I bought Cliff Nobles " Your love is all I need" Atlantic.

Great sound ,would love a copy of that again if anyone can

help me out ?

cheers

Pete H

Social source share

Totally Agree, once again reminded of it Via the Soul Time CDs.

Yet to get one for the collection, will do one day when funds allow.

And there's me thinking you were independently wealthy with all those wonderful scans you keep throwing up! :lol:

It'll match the Aldora Britton perfectly on a white demo. :D

Social source share

Wooden Nickels , what a record ! bought that at the same time

I bought Cliff Nobles " Your love is all I need" Atlantic.

Great sound ,would love a copy of that again if anyone can help me out ?

cheers

Pete H

Yet another one that seemed to be in everyone's box for £2 at the time, so no one really got behind it. I wonder if there's many of these around these days?

Good call Pete......

Your Love Is All I Need" - Cliff Nobles

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert