How Come They Never Made It Big?

I'm constantly wading through stuff and every so often I get a great surprise when I re-listen to an old record that I'd either forgotten about or just ignored first time around. A few years ago I bumped into this one again - I probably hadn't heard it since 1973.

Completely blew me away, like I'd heard it only for the first time!

I just don't get it. The record has absolutely everything, fantastic vocalist, brfilliant Northern production and a song to die for. It's even got a perfect singalong chorus which peaks with the words, "Do It With Soul" for god's sake! An absolute loud, proud 100% Northern monster. That never was.

How did it get away? Why wasn't it huge? :thumbsup:

Why didn't I play it???? :hatsoff2:

"Do It With Soul" - Aldora Britton

I have a few like this, but I thought it may be a nice idea to throw it open. What hidden gems do you have that you just love and would like to hear at a venue? How many times have you said, "if I was a DJ I'd bloody play this"!

Whack up the ones you feel really passionate about. Just imagine that you have a massive audience in front of you who are all moaning about too many oldies, not enough different tunes etc and generally looking for inspiration.

What gem would YOU pull out that that would blow 'em away?

Let's hear 'em!

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 281
  • Views 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Brian Ellis

Great idea for a thread Ian.

Here's my twopennyworth. One of my all-time favourites; still crops up on lists at around 30 quid, and as we all get a bit older, perhaps the tempo of the future - The Modulations - 'I'm Hopelessly In Love With You' - pick it up when you can!

Suoer, mid-tempo crossover soul at its very best :thumbsup:

The passion in the lead voice still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end - stunning vocals and superb lyrics. One of the best IMHO.

Another great crossover record from Buddah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDQd-qRm9k

Brian :hatsoff2:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Thhis got a few plays back in the day at Wigan, it never took off as foar as ime awere got a copy then and ive never heard it play again except at the Wilton one night a few years ago

john stanberry - i can't believe - stanlos

Social source share

180174992840.jpg

" It's all been said before !!! " :hatsoff2:

Absolutely stonking 100% brilliant record which really should be up there with the greats. This is the track after "Lend A Hand" and whenever I played the album I always loved this track. That t track would absolutely be in my top 10 of ones that got away without a doubt.

Is it on Refosoul and if so could somone post it up if poss?

They really don't come much better than this. A real belter of a tune!

Social source share

Great idea for a thread Ian.

Here's my twopennyworth. One of my all-time favourites; still crops up on lists at around 30 quid, and as we all get a bit older, perhaps the tempo of the future - The Modulations - 'I'm Hopelessly In Love With You' - pick it up when you can!

Suoer, mid-tempo crossover soul at its very best :thumbsup:

The passion in the lead voice still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end - stunning vocals and superb lyrics. One of the best IMHO.

Another great crossover record from Buddah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDQd-qRm9k

Brian :hatsoff2:

Yep, Good call mate. I've been listening to a lot of Modulations stuff just lately including "Never Too Late", "I Can't Fight Your Love" and the brilliant "It's Rough Out Here". There's gold in them 70's Philly tunes just as there was in the 60's. They kinda tick most of the boxes don't they......?

Social source share

Thhis got a few plays back in the day at Wigan, it never took off as foar as ime awere got a copy then and ive never heard it play again except at the Wilton one night a few years ago

Out-f*ckin'-standing Miff! :hatsoff2:

A completely new one on me although I'm sure I saw one in Levine's box in the mid 70's. Was it another one of those "I Can't Believe I Ate The Whole Thing" type records which were around at the time? In other words, is that the complete title?

Either way, a great record which I've never heard before which is kinda the spirit of the thread!

Great stuff!

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Here's another beauty which should be huge.

I've only played this out once in my life and that was this year in the early summer at a London Northern gig.

Result: instant floorfiller and great vibe! The kind of record you want to hear to get you in the swing of things .

A feel-good singalong anthem by a Northern Soul heroine which feels like a breath of fresh air. What's not to like?

Ruby Andrews "I Got A Bone To Pick With You"

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I've only played this out once in my life and that was this year in the early summer at a London Northern gig.

Result: instant floorfiller and great vibe! The kind of record you want to hear to get you in the swing of things .

A feel-good singalong anthem by a Northern Soul heroine which feels like a breath of fresh air. What's not to like?

Ian

every time i hear this on soul radio shows i think wow need a copy and yes then realise got 1 but don't play it ffs both sides quality and then some

quality always shines thro

Martyn

Social source share

Out-f*ckin'-standing Miff! :hatsoff2:

A completely new one on me although I'm sure I saw one in Levine's box in the mid 70's. Was it another one of those "I Can't Believe I Ate The Whole Thing" type records which were around at the time? In other words, is that the complete title?

Either way, a great record which I've never heard before which is kinda the spirit of the thread!

Great stuff!

Its full title is "I cant believe ( she took the whole thing)"

110460074141.jpg

Edited by miff
Social source share

Yep great tune, I posted it up in refsoul a couple of years back never played the flip will have to give it a go

Social source share

Ian D :yes:

Great Tune Ian, Had 2 wdj copies of this 1 U.S. & 1 British sold one to a Dj Freind and then let his mate have the other They both got the best tenners worth ever!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Collection and the Civics - I'll be There - Soul Train

Formerly covered up as err.... something or other... can't remember just now. Great piece of soul from Maryland on a label ususaly associated with And The Echoes. Always thought this could be one of those that would jump in price like Big Don's Rebellion did a few years ago as I think they have a similar feel.

Collection and Civics - I'll Be There

Social source share

Great Shout miff! Remebered this as soon as I listened to the first few lines but I don't know where from probabley another soul pack record but how good? ? Now I've got to go up in the loft to see If I've still Got A copy!! Bugger ! ! :yes::thumbsup: Atb John

Social source share

Great thread Ian. All these are great records & worthy of an odd play at an occasional SOUL NIGHT, but with the exception of maybe Tee Fletcher, not a chance that any of these would make it big at a Nighter in 2010/2011, non of em !!!. Dont know the Bobby Hutton so cant comment.

One of the records I would like to see eventually make it large, would be Queen Yhana, I have championed this on & off for years &it became quite a popular sound at my Uptown Down South promotions a few years back, but whilst not unknown, it has never caught the imagination of a DJ popular enough to do it justice, might just go one day tho, particularly as that more funk sound seems to be better excepted recently........................the cry will be 'Its DISCO shite' I'm sure, but I reckon this could have its 15 mins of fame on a dance floor near you given half chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQaznBxku-Y

Larry Levan, Paradise Garage heaven.............think I might be slightly too ambitious expecting this will get heard out more, but hey ya can dream I spose..........

Russ

Social source share

Hey Ian Aldorra briton didn´t get missed! not in thge Midlands anyway, was played often Catacombs(Pep probably) obviously Gloucester(me) and sure i had it on a Top rank Hanley tape(Sam) and i am pretty sure it was always one of the advertised records on Winstanly´s everysound advert

Steve

Yeah but it really should have gone national. I heard it out a couple of times in the early-mid 70's but I think it got buried in a slew of great records that were maybe a bit more instant. And I was actually at that Top Rank Hanley gig when Sam played it LOL (also I think that was the gig where I first heard "Afternoon Of The Rhino" come to think of it).

I actually think it was maybe just a little too common at the time - there was a time when it seemed to be in everyones boxes and was pretty easily available for about £3 and that probably hindered it 'cos most of us jocks were trying to champion stuff which wasn't generally known, so Aldora would have suffered from being 'too available' at the time.

Big mistake really. It used to happen with a lot of records that were perceived as being common back then, especially if they were on Soul Bowl's lists. A lot of those have got a lot more popular years or even decades later - Wade Flemons, Duke & Leonard, the Four Tracks etc, etc. The list is huge really.

Social source share

Its full title is "I cant believe ( she took the whole thing)"

110460074141.jpg

Yep. I knew I remembered it. It was deffo in Levine's box circa '75. I recognised the title 'cos there were loads of these "Whole Thing" type records knocking around and no one really knew what the term actually meant over here. I think it was a U.S. TV ad for some monster burger or something wasn't it?

Also I'm pretty sure this got zapped into a few Soul Packs didn't it?

Once again, there was a sort of snobbery about 'Soul Pack records at the time. If someone had mentioned the John Stanberry record in record talk, then I'm sure some bright spark would have said, "Soul Pack record' with a distainful sneer LOL.....

I wish I had a few thousand of those 70's Soul Packs now! Great shout Miff. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yep. I knew I remembered it. It was deffo in Levine's box circa '75. I recognised the title 'cos there were loads of these "Whole Thing" type records knocking around and no one really knew what the term actually meant over here. I think it was a U.S. TV ad for some monster burger or something wasn't it?

Indigestion remedy actually

Social source share

Great thread Ian. All these are great records & worthy of an odd play at an occasional SOUL NIGHT, but with the exception of maybe Tee Fletcher, not a chance that any of these would make it big at a Nighter in 2010/2011, non of em !!!. Dont know the Bobby Hutton so cant comment.

One of the records I would like to see eventually make it large, would be Queen Yhana, I have championed this on & off for years &it became quite a popular sound at my Uptown Down South promotions a few years back, but whilst not unknown, it has never caught the imagination of a DJ popular enough to do it justice, might just go one day tho, particularly as that more funk sound seems to be better excepted recently........................the cry will be 'Its DISCO shite' I'm sure, but I reckon this could have its 15 mins of fame on a dance floor near you given half chance.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=GQaznBxku-Y

Larry Levan, Paradise Garage heaven.............think I might be slightly too ambitious expecting this will get heard out more, but hey ya can dream I spose..........

Russ

I'll tell you what Russ. I only heard that for the first time around 2005 when I reissued some of the P&P stuff. Couldn't believe that I didn't know it. Great record! I'm also quite partial to Florence Miller's "The Groove I'm In" which I think is similarly great. Can't find it on either You Tube or Refosoul but it is on this:-

The P&P Records Story

And that Bobby Hutton is here mate. Let me know what you think...........

Bobby Hutton "It's All Been Said Before"

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

. :thumbsup:

You must have been looking in Colin's box Ian - it was a "last hour" spin for him - don't recollect ever hearing IL play it. Big fave for the Preston, Chorley & Fylde Coast folks.

Social source share

You must have been looking in Colin's box Ian - it was a "last hour" spin for him - don't recollect ever hearing IL play it. Big fave for the Preston, Chorley & Fylde Coast folks.

No it was deffo in Levine's box when I first saw it and I figure Colin would have picked up one sharpish. I probably bloody heard it if it was last hour spin but let's face it, it was 35 years ago and there was such a broad palette.....:thumbsup:

Talking of which, does anyone remember the instrumental of "Don't Shake My Tree" - Beverly Wheeler? I can't find that anywhere now, but I recall that being a really interesting arrangement. Can anyone whack it up on Refo.....?

Social source share

Brilliant thread Ian, this one will roll for weeks methinks.

My offering would be Darrow Fletcher's brilliant "Changing by the minute" on Uni. A record I love to drop in on a good night and when I'm feeling a bit self indulgent.

Epitomises everything great about a Mecca record. Easy to dance to and eleven out of ten on the feelgoodometer.

Thanks to my old pal Dave Ferguson for turning me on to this many moons ago.

It's on Refosoul if you fancy a couple of minutes of heaven!

Social source share

Teddy Rabb Last Night on Codex International

The only times I have heard this played out

is when I have played it myself.

Why ?

Kegsy

Simple answer.

Because you have never heard me play :thumbsup:

Been in my playbox for what seems ages & when doing the right type of event it gets dusted off.

Great call & great thread too.

Social source share

Absolutely stonking 100% brilliant record which really should be up there with the greats. This is the track after "Lend A Hand" and whenever I played the album I always loved this track. That t track would absolutely be in my top 10 of ones that got away without a doubt.

Is it on Refosoul and if so could somone post it up if poss?

They really don't come much better than this. A real belter of a tune!

Never heard this before. Great record, and must have made it big had it been played.

I never heard much of Willie Parker I Live the Life I Love. Big sound on Stoops Estate in Burnley (my house) but I don't think I ever heard it played out?

Brian

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Russ

Simply Magnificent.

Social source share

One that has hit me recently that I can't believe hasn't been a monster is the B side of Parliaments-Don't Be Sore At Me.....All My Goodies Are Gone..............sounds awesome but never heard it out (probably massive somewhere.....hopefully)

parliaments - all your goodies are gone - revilot

Another corker I've never heard out is The Decisions-Do You Love Me Sussex

decisions - do you love me - sussex

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Used to play this at a Disco / 70s Soul night I used to co-promote in 1992 (my first foray into promoting).

Got my copy from one of Goldmines 100 records for £30 packs.

Don't know how many they sold, but I reckon a few must have been sent out as a mate got one in his pack a few months later.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I'm constantly wading through stuff and every so often I get a great surprise when I re-listen to an old record that I'd either forgotten about or just ignored first time around. A few years ago I bumped into this one again - I probably hadn't heard it since 1973.

Completely blew me away, like I'd heard it only for the first time!

I just don't get it. The record has absolutely everything, fantastic vocalist, brfilliant Northern production and a song to die for. It's even got a perfect singalong chorus which peaks with the words, "Do It With Soul" for god's sake! An absolute loud, proud 100% Northern monster. That never was.

How did it get away? Why wasn't it huge? :ohmy:

Why didn't I play it???? :ohmy:

"Do It With Soul" - Aldora Britton

I have a few like this, but I thought it may be a nice idea to throw it open. What hidden gems do you have that you just love and would like to hear at a venue? How many times have you said, "if I was a DJ I'd bloody play this"!

Whack up the ones you feel really passionate about. Just imagine that you have a massive audience in front of you who are all moaning about too many oldies, not enough different tunes etc and generally looking for inspiration.

What gem would YOU pull out that that would blow 'em away?

Let's hear 'em!

Ian D :ohmy:

they're called underplayed gems.......and should be slotted in sets with all the current stuff ect.........BUT PLAYED SPARINGLY...............enabling them to retain there freshness.............not as is usually the case HAMMERED

Social source share

Ian D :ohmy:

I liked the clip so much I've just bought myself a copy. Happy soul music at it's best. Cheers Ian

Social source share

Never heard this before. Great record, and must have made it big had it been played.

I never heard much of Willie Parker I Live the Life I Love. Big sound on Stoops Estate in Burnley (my house) but I don't think I ever heard it played out?

Brian

I have give it a few spins of late after leaving it alone for a good few years.... Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuune....

Social source share

Killer track P!

A don't think cheapies come any better. Sounds much much better today than it did back in the day.....

"This Time Around" - S.O.U.L. featuring Larry Hancock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4gTo-9Bm4Y

Ian D :sweatingbullets:

Wrong Ian, they do come better......much better! Same group, same label, similar price but a big step up in quality...

S.O.U.L. - The Joneses Pt. 1 - Musicor

[rx]62090[/rx]

Social source share

Russ

Always in my playbox top tune played it in Manchester a few month ago seem to remember went down well

Social source share

I`m with you on this one Russ,always put it in the play box but never find a way to mix it in my set cos it`s too left field.Plus i need something similar to follow it to make it worth while(still working on that one).Great record but not for the xover/modern crowd yet me thinks.

Russ

Social source share

Brian

Willie Parker were big at Market Harborough niter, along with the Duettes Every beat of my heaert, both came out on president at the same time

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert