The Tempest

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Billy Woods "Let Me Make You Happy" on Sussex for £3 from Soul Bowl in 1975. :hatsoff2:

Turned it down because Bradford Market was knee-deep in Billy Woods Verve singles @ 25p each and everywhere else was knee-deep in TONS of Bill Withers, Creative Source and Gallery singles on Sussex which they couldn't give away. :thumbsup:

So stands to reason that a Billy Woods record on Sussex will be common as sh*t doesn't it? :thumbsup:

How many is it? 6 copies in 35 years or thereabouts?

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Billy Woods "Let Me Make You Happy" on Sussex for £3 from Soul Bowl in 1975. :hatsoff2:

Turned it down because Bradford Market was knee-deep in Billy Woods Verve singles @ 25p each and everywhere else was knee-deep in TONS of Bill Withers, Creative Source and Gallery singles on Sussex which they couldn't give away. :thumbsup:

So stands to reason that a Billy Woods record on Sussex will be common as sh*t doesn't it? :thumbsup:

Ian D :thumbsup:

320134610951.jpg Ouch !!!! :lol: Keep Em coming you lot !!!!

Social source share

260665434840.jpg

Seen in a box for a fiver , mid 80's , liked the track but thought the bloke would haggle for a couple of quid , he stood firm , I walked away !!!!! :thumbsup:

Not buying "Lady in Green" in 1978, did not like it at the time.

BTW I sold "Charade" for 50p to Ian Gillabrand in 1980.

Social source share

Pete Lawson once offered me Tina Roberts One Way for £60...declined as I'd just bought Billy Webster which had long long since been uncovered rolleyes.gif

Also declined a Forston and Scott Sweet Lover for around about the same price and a Jimmy Bo Horne for a ton thinking plenty would come along....d'oh rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Pete Lawson once offered me Tina Roberts One Way for £60...declined as I'd just bought Billy Webster which had long long since been uncovered rolleyes.gif

Also declined a Forston and Scott Sweet Lover for around about the same price and a Jimmy Bo Horne for a ton thinking plenty would come along....d'oh rolleyes.gif

Whoo Chalky that must have been a sad moment ......i would love one of those....... if only one were available :yes:

Social source share

Whoo Chalky that must have been a sad moment ......i would love one of those....... if only one were available :yes:

Not really mate, you win some you lose some. It wasn't that well known then and as most on the label were pretty commonish I assumed (wrongly) plenty more would come along as it got better known rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Billy Woods "Let Me Make You Happy" on Sussex for £3 from Soul Bowl in 1975. :(

Turned it down because Bradford Market was knee-deep in Billy Woods Verve singles @ 25p each and everywhere else was knee-deep in TONS of Bill Withers, Creative Source and Gallery singles on Sussex which they couldn't give away. :yes:

So stands to reason that a Billy Woods record on Sussex will be common as sh*t doesn't it? :yes:

Ian D :yes:

Someone once told me that John Anderson brought 50 copies of Billy Woods back from the US. Don't know if it's true or not but if he did, I wonder where the others are

Social source share

Early 90's Ely town hall or wherever it was Bobby Valentin "use it" £15 passed it up with the thought... Oh, i'll pick one up another day. I know they weren't that expensive then but when you see what that VG one has just finished for on ebay... well, i guess you just have to laugh about it really. :lol:

Social source share

Billy Woods "Let Me Make You Happy" on Sussex for £3 from Soul Bowl in 1975. :thumbsup:

Turned it down because Bradford Market was knee-deep in Billy Woods Verve singles @ 25p each and everywhere else was knee-deep in TONS of Bill Withers, Creative Source and Gallery singles on Sussex which they couldn't give away. :lol:

So stands to reason that a Billy Woods record on Sussex will be common as sh*t doesn't it? :lol:

Ian D :D

Someone once told me that John Anderson brought 50 copies of Billy Woods back from the US. Don't know if it's true or not but if he did, I wonder where the others are

John had 6 copies of this.

As for as I know there is still under 10 in the UK.

Social source share

Don Gardner was my biggest want back than, never got a sniff of one..

Nah but you had some nice stuff though eh Dave. I remember borrowing 200UKP from my Mum to buy the Decca demos off you, must have been around '77/8. (Should have borrowed 500 and bought a few more eh? Happy Days! :lol:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

at lowton about 10 years ago , steve plumb was selling a collection for a guy, picked up some nice bits ...almeta lattimore...brice cofield, and didn't pick up jimmie bo horne on dade for £500...dohhhh.

Social source share

at lowton about 10 years ago , steve plumb was selling a collection for a guy, picked up some nice bits ...almeta lattimore...brice cofield, and didn't pick up jimmie bo horne on dade for £500...dohhhh.

Jim I think it was more like 12 years ago, but it would not surprice me if it was 15.

Social source share

Early 90's Ely town hall or wherever it was Bobby Valentin "use it" £15 passed it up with the thought... Oh, i'll pick one up another day. I know they weren't that expensive then but when you see what that VG one has just finished for on ebay... well, i guess you just have to laugh about it really. :lol:

how much did it go for ?

I still know a couple of ex Mods who were collecting in the 80s who have them and would probably sell them.

I can't understand the fuss.

Its a great record but they are out there in ex mods collections.

and soul fans collections who perhaps have been off the scene since the 90s

I heard about the JM auction thing, but frankly you could have got three copy's for that money IMO

Just wait and see !

and when this 45 falls out of northern soul vogue and it inevitably will in the end, it will be again the 200 pound latin raritie

that it actually is,

that's my opinion !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

260665434840.jpg

Seen in a box for a fiver , mid 80's , liked the track but thought the bloke would haggle for a couple of quid , he stood firm , I walked away !!!!! :lol:

Im sure everybody did this. Had a look through Sams small 45 box at wigan (this was when Sam was going disco and selling his norven stuff ) Im sure there must have been a few monstas in there. But i pulled out Lover on Cuppy for 30 nicker (Just like everybody else still chasing a copy) : (

DJ

Social source share

Not such a big ticket item like some mentioned above but this amused and frustrated me last night. Very nearly got this for UA demo of Ray Pollard's Drifter$28.51 ($1 above $27.51) from ebay, that would've been a bargain!

Winning Bid $103.50

My bid $101.00

previous bid $27.51

There were about 10 bids below $27.51, I thought mine was optimistic at $101

post-5677-0-75594600-1289385389_thumb.jp

Social source share

Missed an Isonics-Sugar Kammy when Barrie Waddington had it in his box for 2 if not 3 Wilton's (so that makes it 6 months) for £35, I bought something else off him each time thinking I'll get it next time...........I have to leave the room when I hear it played as I still love it :lol:

Walked away from a guy selling a Bobbettes-Happy Go Lucky Me RCA issue at Wigan as he wanted £3.50 for it & I was only offereing £3..........fun this record collecting innit :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Winning Bid $103.50

My bid $101.00

previous bid $27.51

Sounds like you were sniped mate.

Remember passing on a Ernie Washington - Lonesome Shack (CHATTAHOOCHEE) from Fingers for a couple of hundred quid VG+. Would have meant leaving the venue for a far away cashpoint and I just couldn't be arzed. Regretted it ever since..

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

While looking though records at Blackburn Record Exchange in 1972.

Anyway I had pulled out 12 records but only had £1 to spend and 1 of the records I put back was a UK copy of P.P. Arnold.

I can't remember what I came home with but left "Soon everthing is gonna be alright" because I liked the others better at the time.

Also can't remember what the other record was that I left.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

At Hinckley I had the choice.

Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover acetate (Boot I assume) £8

Tony Galla - In Love £10

Elbie Parker - Please keep Away (A bit battered £10

I chose Marvin because he was my fave singer, and I was sure an acetate would be hens teeth. It also meant I could buy myself a can of coke later in the night. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Early 90's Ely town hall or wherever it was Bobby Valentin "use it" £15 passed it up with the thought... Oh, i'll pick one up another day. I know they weren't that expensive then but when you see what that VG one has just finished for on ebay... well, i guess you just have to laugh about it really. :thumbsup:

and sold for £745 !!!

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOBBY-VALENTIN-RARE-LATIN-NORTHERN-SOUL-BOOGALOO-45-/360315995233?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item53e481c461#ht_504wt_1139

Social source share

2nd City Sounds Birmingham c 1983, saw Edwin Starr - Scott's on swingers for uk3 in the new arrivals box but walked over to look in a different section for barely 2 mins to check something out without picking it up and sure enough just as I went back....:thumbsup:

Hardly surprising..........even then it was going for about £15 elsewhere, so stil a bargain even by 1983 standards.

Social source share

Turned down "I Ain't Got Time" by the Oracles on OM for £20 in 1985 - was in Ian Clark's box, though he did sell me Bobby Kline a couple of years before that for £22!

Around the same time the Oracles was sighted I also turned down "You Really Made It Good" by Ty Karim on Senator for £25 out of Tommo's box.

Social source share

Went to one of the big record fairs in Manchester and John Anderson was there with a small box of goodies including a Chuck Cockerham at £500, I thought he'll never sell it at that price, I'll see if he will take 5, £100 instalments from my credit card over 5 months..............next person in the box whipped it out and (i think) paid cash :thumbsup:

Pisser was I had the cash but it would have cleaned me out, ended up going home with a couple of cheapies and a foul mood!!

Blake

Social source share

Many years ago it was Gary Cape who turned up a few copies of I just can,t speak on Dade.It was on his list for £7 i think, for a very short period.I missed out but three of my mates got copies.One of them was,nt too fussed so i asked him how much he wanted for it.£14 came the reply to which i replied like the clever twat i am.Don,t think you are doubling your,from me mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

One day I had Darrell Banks on UK Stax Demo and a Sandra Phillips World Without Sunshine WD (turned out to be a boot) for £6 each in my hands...

I only had a tenner on me and wasn't sure whether i had the Darrell Banks, so guess which one i bought.

What a twonk.

That reminds me, £10 for D.Banks UK Stax demo ('I'm The One Who Loves You') in a Norwich record shop about 8/10 years ago, Passed it up as I thought it was an easy one to get!!!!

Oh, and bypassed £25 for Billy Hambric (Drum) from Ian Clark....Norwich record fair...probably on the same day!

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

last nite....:lol: .........my pc went wrong when i pressed "confirm bid "on a massive want with 7 seconds to go.............it went for well under" my didnt happen" bid.......:yes: ....o well bought another belter the nite before .................another time my dog was sick when watchin a auction and by the time i cleaned the carpet up.........woof ...........growl .........bark..............auction over, .........................an i had stayed up till 4 am for it ...........never again......ez :wicked: .ps remember to remember ............11am this morning !!!!

Social source share

Wigan, when most things were cheap, seven souls £2, as tempo was too slow, so does life as I age, later early 80's, patti austin. pain stain issue off john anderson's list, mind you though, you had to be pretty quick then, ended up with 5 copies of the climates-breakin up, and a chat about the early days.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

John had 6 copies of this.

As for as I know there is still under 10 in the UK.

I did buy one of these from JA for £8.00 I was in his office with Richard Searling,Richard said whatever you do Smudge dont leave here without a copy of Billy Woods.

John was unsure how many he had all he would say that he found a box of 25 anf only took as many that fitted on his finger.he did go back to where he found them but sadly they had gone

Social source share

I`VE TOLD THIS STORY BEFORE BUT I`LL TELL IT AGAIN. IN 1987 I WAS IN THE ARMY ON LEAVE. I DECIDED TO GO THROUGH TO BARNSLEY TO THE TUESDAY MARKET. THIS GUY CALLED DAVE HAD A RECORD STALL ON EVERY TUESDAY. HAD A BROWSE THRU HIS BOX OF NORTHERN AND NEAR THE BACK WAS AN ORIGINAL UK BLACK HICKORY ISSUE OF BARBARA MILLS QUEEN OF FOOLS. I PULLED IT OUT FOR A GOOD LOOK. FOUR PRONGED CENTER, ANTI SKATE RIMMED.................£4. I THOUGHT FOR A MOMENT OR TWO. THEN PUT IT BACK. A COUPLE OF DAYS BEFORE I`D BOUGHT SOME 45`S FROM BILL PAYNE FROM THORNE INCLUDING A RED LONDON DEMO OF THE SAID 45.. I TOOK A PRECISIONS ON UK TRACK FOR £2 FROM DAVE`S STALL AND WENT TO ANOTHER STALL AND BOUGHT A FEW 70`S UK SOUL BITS FOR 50P EACH ( NATURAL 4, LOVES SO WONDERFUL, GLORIA GAYNOR THIS LOVE ETC...) THEN CAUGHT THE BUS HOME. I KEPT THINKIN ABOUT THE BARBARA MILLS AND IT REALLY PRAYED ON MY MIND. I THOUGHT NEXT WEEK I`LL HAVE TO GO BACK AND GET IT . GUESS WHAT......................................IT HAD GONE :yes:. SINCE THEN IVE SEEN A HANDFUL OF UK WHITE DEMO`S. 1 UK PINK ISSUE AND 1 UK WHITE ISSUE........... BUT NOT A PROPER BLACK ONE. I STILL THINK ABOUT IT FROM TIME TO TIME.

DAVE THE DUMPLING :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert