Podcasts Ending Due To Lack Of Funding

Pete S

PODCASTS THE BIG FIVE-0 IS COMING UP BUT....WE NEED MONEY

This weekend Ill be putting up the 50th podcast that Ive put together since opening the Podcast Machine account. Thats fifty in just three months. Over ten thousand downloads so I guess a lot of people are enjoying them. So, here we go again I hear you say,whats he after; can I just say thank you to all of the listeners who donated anything from a quid (literally) to fifty quid, its really helped keep us going, but can I just ask once again, if you are a regular listener / downloader and can spare us some money, could you please donate something otherwise Im going to have to pack it all in. Its not just a case of finding 30 tracks on my itunes, I source a lot of the stuff and I nearly always use original vinyl, then I have to record it, burn to cd, get the cd onto the computer, run it through Mixmeister to get it all segued properly, then reduce it in size and finally publish it. Some of these have taken over 5 or 6 hours, seriously. I think the site we are on is too expensive but its because so many people download them that I keep having to pay more and of course I dont make a single penny out of this at all. Ten thousand downloads but only something like 22 donations in 3 months. Over a thousand people downloaded the Wigan live podcasts alone, surely youd have paid a fiver to hear those? I would have! So please, if you can spare anything to keep the podcasts running, please send it by PAYPAL to pete.smith@freeuk.com

I promise Ill give you something to remember at the weekend Ive got some great unissued Northern stuff that Ive never broadcast and a new batch of reggae 45s.

Well thanks for reading anyway, I know some people must think Im just trying to ponce money but it literally all goes on the fees and bills.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

PODCASTS THE BIG FIVE-0 IS COMING UP BUT....WE NEED MONEY

This weekend I'll be putting up the 50th podcast that I've put together since opening the Podcast Machine account. That's fifty in just three months. Over ten thousand downloads so I guess a lot of people are enjoying them. So, here we go again I hear you say,what's he after; can I just say thank you to all of the listeners who donated anything from a quid (literally) to fifty quid, it's really helped keep us going, but can I just ask once again, if you are a regular listener / downloader and can spare us some money, could you please donate something otherwise I'm going to have to pack it all in. It's not just a case of finding 30 tracks on my itunes, I source a lot of the stuff and I nearly always use original vinyl, then I have to record it, burn to cd, get the cd onto the computer, run it through Mixmeister to get it all segued properly, then reduce it in size and finally publish it. Some of these have taken over 5 or 6 hours, seriously. I think the site we are on is too expensive but it's because so many people download them that I keep having to pay more and of course I don't make a single penny out of this at all. Ten thousand downloads but only something like 22 donations in 3 months. Over a thousand people downloaded the Wigan live podcasts alone, surely you'd have paid a fiver to hear those? I would have! So please, if you can spare anything to keep the podcasts running, please send it BY PAYPAL to pete.smith@freeuk.com

I promise I'll give you something to remember at the weekend I've got some great unissued Northern stuff that I've never broadcast and a new batch of reggae 45's.

Well thanks for reading anyway, I know some people must think I'm just trying to ponce money but it literally all goes on the fees and bills.

Cheers

Pete

I'll donate another £10 Pete. How do you want it?

Social source share

Oh, okay. But let me know if your request falls short of your needs and we'll take it from there.

Denbo.

It's going to fall short alright, two responses from a mailing list of 1200 people isn't very encouraging, especially when half of them downloaded the Wigan podcasts!

Social source share

It's going to fall short alright, two responses from a mailing list of 1200 people isn't very encouraging, especially when half of them downloaded the Wigan podcasts!

Well, like I said, keep me posted, as I'm happy to cough up another £tenner if it's needed.

But give everybody a chance. They probably haven't seen your posting yet. I can take a peek at SS on and off throughout the day, for others it might not be so easy.

Having said that, come on people, if you've not donated before, do so now . . . . . or when you next login and read this. :D

Social source share

I've downloaded a few Pete, will send a tenner tomorrow.

Thanks mate, that's very kind of you.

The podcasts are free, but obviously some people download every one, in fact there's over 100 subscribers so if they could donate a fiver there'd be no problem, those 100 subscribers have had 50 free podcasts, that's nearly 3 days non stop listening.

And yes I know nobodys forcing me to do it, but blimey, with 10,000 downloads I must be doing something right.

I think maybe the solution is to go to subscription only.

I'll find a new site, invite people to join for say a fiver for a year.

Remove it from itunes so nobody else can download them except the subscribers.

Yes / no / anyone?

Social source share

Thanks mate, that's very kind of you.

The podcasts are free, but obviously some people download every one, in fact there's over 100 subscribers so if they could donate a fiver there'd be no problem, those 100 subscribers have had 50 free podcasts, that's nearly 3 days non stop listening.

And yes I know nobodys forcing me to do it, but blimey, with 10,000 downloads I must be doing something right.

I think maybe the solution is to go to subscription only.

I'll find a new site, invite people to join for say a fiver for a year.

Remove it from itunes so nobody else can download them except the subscribers.

Yes / no / anyone?

great idea pete, i,d subscribe, i,ve downloaded a few so my tenners on its way:hatsoff2:

Social source share

great idea pete, i,d subscribe, i,ve downloaded a few so my tenners on its way:hatsoff2:

Thanks!

What about if it was like a double subscription, £5 to listen and download, or £10 to listen, download, and be given the password so you can upload your own podcasts and share them with the rest of the subscribers?

Social source share

Just host £60 a year and unlimited everything. You have a Mac Pete? iWeb piece of p*$s.

I had a go at iWeb this week Chalky but all I could see was how to do really basic personal pages and it looked like you had to sign up to their online service to be able to do anything decent with it. On their templates I don't think there was anything suitable, if I'm wrong please correct me. By the way, if you need iLife, the latest one, I've got it if you need it.

Social source share

I would be more than happy to join the subscription scheme, i think its your only way to go Pete. It also saves you having to come on here with your cap in hand [ if you get my drift] , which is shameful when you consider the download numbers

Its not nice for you to keep having to ask for funds & IMO every time you are forced too , it takes you closer to thinking why should you bother. Its time consuming & hard work for you.

I will send you a five spot tomorrow when i get the wages in me piggy bank.laugh.gif

Thanks for all the pods so far, you have introduced me to many new sounds & i love the variety of music.

Social source share

Another option is to upload your podcasts to Mixcloud.

Check it out:

https://www.mixcloud.com/about/

It's totally free.

Everyone can listen to what you've uploaded, but the only drawback is that it's not possible to download the actual MP3 file.

Here are some of my mixes, just so you get an idea of how it works:

https://www.mixcloud.com/shingaling/

As soon as you post a new mix, an e-mail goes out to all the people that "follow" you.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Pete have a look at my site www.soulunderground.co.uk. Made pretty quickly with iWeb. If you have web space you can upload via iWeb FTP.

Looks great and works well but I don't think I want to get involved with FTP again, this is why the one I use is so easy, it just says 'upload a file' and thats that. I didn't see the podcast template in iWeb mate.

Social source share

Check it out:

It's totally free.

Everyone can listen to what you've uploaded, but the only drawback is that it's not possible to download the actual MP3 file.

As soon as you post a new mix, an e-mail goes out to all the people that "follow" you.

Right but to hear a cloudcast, you have to be a member of mixcloud right? What I mean is, it's not like I can publish a link and people can go listen, they have to also be members, yes? And there's no feed to itunes as it's not downloadable.

Social source share

Pete have a look at my site www.soulunderground.co.uk. Made pretty quickly with iWeb. If you have web space you can upload via iWeb FTP.

Chalky theres one problem with your latest podcast and thats that you've reduced the sound quality too much and it's tinny, is there a reason for that i.e. space?

Social source share

Right but to hear a cloudcast, you have to be a member of mixcloud right?

No, you don't have to be a member to listen to the cloudcasts. Anyone can listen.

What I mean is, it's not like I can publish a link and people can go listen,

Yes you can.

Here's a direct link to one of my mixes:

https://www.mixcloud....mix-2009-05-11/

Click the big green button on the above page to listen.

And there's no feed to itunes as it's not downloadable.

Correct, it's unfortunately not possible to download the mp3s or feed the casts to itunes.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

No, you don't have to be a member to listen to the cloudcasts. Anyone can listen.

Yes you can.

Here's a direct link to one of my mixes:

https://www.mixcloud....mix-2009-05-11/

Click the big green button on the above page to listen.

Correct, it's unfortunately not possible to download the mp3s or feed the casts to itunes.

Great, I'm trying it as we speak..

Social source share

Check it out:

It's totally free.

Sebastian, I'm on the categories page and none of them are relevant - the one I prepared is punk and proto-punk (Link Wray, Stooges etc), the nearest choice appears to be 'indie'. Also there only seems to be a 'reggae dancehall' category . Any thoughts?

Also, and very importantly. I always do mine as one long mp3 file lasting 70-80 minutes. They want it as separate tracks/chapters. How do I do that but still make it run as a mix?

Social source share

Sebastian, I'm on the categories page and none of them are relevant - the one I prepared is punk and proto-punk (Link Wray, Stooges etc), the nearest choice appears to be 'indie'. Also there only seems to be a 'reggae dancehall' category and nowhere that I can put Northern Soul. Any thoughts?

When you get to the upload page you can enter up to 5 categories of your own for each mix. They are the "tags" for your mix. If you put "rocksteady" and "ska" as your categories, your mixes will show up if a user searches for either genre via the search engine.

Here's what showed up when I searched for "rocksteady":

https://www.mixcloud....tag/rocksteady/

and "ska":

https://www.mixcloud.com/tag/ska/

Seeing as you will promote your cloudcasts yourself, it doesn't really matter which category you put them in. The "tags" are more important.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Also, and very importantly. I always do mine as one long mp3 file lasting 70-80 minutes. They want it as separate tracks/chapters. How do I do that but still make it run as a mix?

Mine are also 80-minute mp3s. They want you to mark out where each song starts, but you don't HAVE to. I don't do that.

Social source share

Pete, I'm sure when I set your website up it was with Midphase which is unlimited. I bet there's a plugin for podcasts with your Wordpress. Want me to have a look for you when I get home from work?

In fact, I know you uploaded quite a number before plumping for a podcast site.

Edited by TheSoulgirl
Social source share

When you get to the upload page you can enter up to 5 categories of your own for each mix. They are the "tags" for your mix. If you put "rocksteady" and "ska" as your categories, your mixes will show up if a user searches for either genre via the search engine.

Here's what showed up when I searched for "rocksteady":

https://www.mixcloud....tag/rocksteady/

and "ska":

https://www.mixcloud.com/tag/ska/

Seeing as you will promote your cloudcasts yourself, it doesn't really matter which category you put them in. The "tags" are more important.

OK thanks again Sebastian. I also understand about the track things, I misread it. Am just posting a mix up now, see what happens.

Social source share

Pete, I'm sure when I set your website up it was with Midphase which is unlimited. I bet there's a plugin for podcasts with your Wordpress. Want me to have a look for you when I get home from work?

Karen that would be fabulous, I never got to grips with wordpress which is why I more or less abondoned it, if you can get that stripped down to bare bones it would be ideal. Do what you like with it and see what happens, at your leisure obviously.

Social source share

there's deffo a wordpress plugin.

Pete with IWeb, when you look at it, down the right there is access for your files on your PC, itunes is there, find your mp3 file and simply drag it across to the web page you are doing. Use the blank page, your young un could do it it is that easy.

I did reduce the size of the files due to previous site taking too long to load, I will put up bigger files this weekend.

Social source share

To those who've asked why donate if it's closing...

Podcast Machine is still going, except that I have cut it down to £35 a month from £55 a month. What this means is that not so many people can download the podcasts, but anyone on this mailing list and SS will always be able to because they get details of it a day before it goes onto iTunes, so you'll never miss any.

So this means that anyone who sent me money today, that will go towards keeping it running and not go towards my beer fund. Anyone who is still considering sending some money, please do, we need it.

The new podcast site I'll probably use to put up repeats of the best shows from Podcast Machine, and non-soul non-reggae podcasts which not that many were interested in anyway. I will still send out details of these though just in case you want to listen to them.

Right that's it then, please see the other emails for info on donations and that, I'm not going to mention it again, if the site has to go down at least we know now that there is a free alternative, albeit not quite as user friendly.

If this is no longer considered as being in the correct category then please move it, as it was about soul podcasts I put it in all about the soul but understand it might need to go to one of the audio things

Cheers.

Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert