• Replies 51
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi fellas and ladies

I just bought this, is it worth the money I paid £8?

Looks nice and the quality is excellent.

The 'B' side by the way is 'Just because of you' and it's on

Dutch STIBBE (Durium) CNA-S 9237 1967.

let me know your thoughts please.

Steve

rocky.jpg

:hatsoff2:HI MATE. VERY NICE MADE ME LOOK TWICE, AS IT LOOKS LIKE THE VERY RARE UK COPY, THAT I GOT AT THE MASSIVE LEEDS ALLNIGHTER IN 74, (NPC), THE FACT YOUR COPY HAS NOC, DOES NOT AFFECT THE PRICE TO MUCH, ALTHOUGH IT.S ALAUS NICE TO HAVE A RECORD COMPLETE, BUT I TAKE THEM AS THEY COME, AND £8 IS A VERY GOOD DEAL, AS FOR THE COPY I GOT IN LEEDS, AS FAR AS I AM AWARE THE UK DEALER I SOLD IT TO HAS STILL GOT IT, IT WAS IN A POOR STATE BACK THEN, I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER OR KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS??/:D DAVE
Social source share

:hatsoff2:HI MATE. VERY NICE MADE ME LOOK TWICE, AS IT LOOKS LIKE THE VERY RARE UK COPY, THAT I GOT AT THE MASSIVE LEEDS ALLNIGHTER IN 74, (NPC), THE FACT YOUR COPY HAS NOC, DOES NOT AFFECT THE PRICE TO MUCH, ALTHOUGH IT.S ALAUS NICE TO HAVE A RECORD COMPLETE, BUT I TAKE THEM AS THEY COME, AND £8 IS A VERY GOOD DEAL, AS FOR THE COPY I GOT IN LEEDS, AS FAR AS I AM AWARE THE UK DEALER I SOLD IT TO HAS STILL GOT IT, IT WAS IN A POOR STATE BACK THEN, I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER OR KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS??/:D DAVE

Add the lp,fantastic if only i had kept it angry.gif

Social source share

oops just noticed that, it looks like the centre has been removed.

Social source share

Add the lp,fantastic if only i had kept it angry.gif

:D HI IT DON'T TAKE LONG TO WORK OUT WHO I SOLD IT TO?? NOW DOES IT??:D BY THE WAY WOLVES RECORD FAIR IS THIS SATURDAY, MICK SMITH WILL BE THERE, AND A FEW OF THE AREAS TOP COLLECTORS WILL BE AROUND, MICK'S STALL, LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ALL :yes: DAVE

Social source share

was the Allnighter in Leeds at the 'Queens Hall'?, that was a right night, AH! I remember it well!

queenshall.jpg

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

:thumbsup: HI ALL...AS FAR AS I RECALL IT WAS YOUR BOG STANDARD DURINIM SAME COLOR AS THE DUTCH COPY, THERES A NICE ORANGE AND WHITE 4 PRONG FROM GREECE, I THINK THERES A SCANDINAVIAN COPY WITH 3 PRONGS? AS I HAVE LIVED IN WOLVES FOR 30 YEARS I AIN'T LOOKED AT IT FOR SOME TIME, AND I DID HERE ALTHOUGH IT WAS A UK PRESSING IT WAS NEVER RELEASED IN THE UK, THIS WOULD EXPLAINS A LOT, HOWEVER, AS I SAY I RECKON YOU GOT A DEAL, THE ITALIAN COPY WITH PC IS ONLY WORTH ABOUT £5 THE BOOT AIN'T WORTH NOTHING REALLY, I SUPPOSE IF YOU COLLECT EARLY WIGAN BOOTLEGS IT'S ALSO £5:ph34r: DAVE
Social source share

ALTHOUGH IT WAS A UK PRESSING IT WAS NEVER RELEASED IN THE UK

I don't understand this?

Plus, the copy 'steveluigi' has posted up looks like it's had the 4 prong centre pushed out, suggesting it might have been a UK release after all.

Social source share

I don't understand this?

Plus, the copy 'steveluigi' has posted up looks like it's had the 4 prong centre pushed out, suggesting it might have been a UK release after all.

For export.

Social source share

Has anybody else noticed how the Dutch and the Italian picture sleeve photo of Rocky Roberts are slightly different?

He appears to be sitting more upright in the Italian photo.

Same shot I reckon, but the Italians have tilted it slightly anti-clockwise - and not chopped the top of his head off.

Social source share

That reminds me, I have a rather nice late 6Ts mid-tempo track by RockyR on a Dick Charles acetate...probbaly recorded in NYC just before he left for Europe. Must dig it out for RefoSoul.

:thumbsup:

Sure I remember seeing "I Know That You'll Come Running Back" with your name attached to it, Dave? I only remember because I have the Durium 45.

Is the acetate a different mix?

Social source share

Just to confuse things a little more, I recieved the record in the first post today (perfect by the way)

On the bottom of the back cover it states 'Durium S.p.A. - Milano'?

Does this mean the 'Durium' is actually an Italian label? I was led to believe that this was a Dutch press and it probably is, but the writing that surrounds the label 'copyright' etc...... is in English?

Me confused...... :-o

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Just to confuse things a little more, I recieved the record in the first post today (perfect by the way)

On the bottom of the back cover it states 'Durium S.p.A. - Milano'?

Does this mean the 'Durium' is actually an Italian label? I was led to believe that this was a Dutch press and it probably is, but the writing that surrounds the label 'copyright' etc...... is in English?

Me confused...... :-o

Durium is an Italian label - with a very large catalogue of releases - Think Festival/Australia or Quality/Canada ... or even EMI/UK

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL...AS FAR AS I RECALL IT WAS YOUR BOG STANDARD DURINIM SAME COLOR AS THE DUTCH COPY, THERES A NICE ORANGE AND WHITE 4 PRONG FROM GREECE, I THINK THERES A SCANDINAVIAN COPY WITH 3 PRONGS? AS I HAVE LIVED IN WOLVES FOR 30 YEARS I AIN'T LOOKED AT IT FOR SOME TIME, AND I DID HERE ALTHOUGH IT WAS A UK PRESSING IT WAS NEVER RELEASED IN THE UK, THIS WOULD EXPLAINS A LOT, HOWEVER, AS I SAY I RECKON YOU GOT A DEAL, THE ITALIAN COPY WITH PC IS ONLY WORTH ABOUT £5 THE BOOT AIN'T WORTH NOTHING REALLY, I SUPPOSE IF YOU COLLECT EARLY WIGAN BOOTLEGS IT'S ALSO £5:ph34r: DAVE

Dave I've seen that orange/white one Mick had off you and it's not UK, it might be Dutch?

Social source share

So in your opinion would you say that my copy IS a Dutch pressing? Is 'Stibbe' the Dutch part of 'Durium' ?

The Opening Post ? - Well the cover looks like the standard Italian sleeve - can't see the details of the Stibbe disc from the scan - I assume there's no clues on the label.

I've never seen it before, It could be Dutch, or could be somewhere else , as it was released in countless countries.

somehow I don't think the sleeve it right for the disc - what's the List number on the disc ??

UPDATE - just found one on eBay - It Is Dutch - housed in Italian sleeve.

Heres a link ...

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2c56b3cdc7

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

The Opening Post ? - Well the cover looks like the standard Italian sleeve - can't see the details of the Stibbe disc from the scan - I assume there's no clues on the label.

I've never seen it before, It could be Dutch, or could be somewhere else , as it was released in countless countries.

somehow I don't think the sleeve it right for the disc - what's the List number on the disc ??

UPDATE - just found one on eBay - It Is Dutch - housed in Italian sleeve.

Heres a link ...

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2c56b3cdc7

Cheers

Mick

yeah it's the same.

Here is a scan of the label and the back cover for future reference.

rocky2.jpg

Social source share

Dave I've seen that orange/white one Mick had off you and it's not UK, it might be Dutch?

:thumbsup:HI ALL ..PETE....YES I HAD A LOOK AT IT AFTER 37 YEARS, TODAY AT WOLVES RECORD FAIR, I CAN CONFIRM THAT THIS IS THE COPY THAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT, THAT I PICKED UP IN LEEDS 74, AND QUITE CLEARLY IT IS NOT A UK COPY, BUT IT'S NOT A DUTCH COPY EITHER, ...BUT AS MICK TOLD ME TODAY HE HAS NOT SEEN ANOTHER ONE LIKE THE ONE HE SHOWED YOU, AND I CANT IMAGINE MICK KEEPING THAT COPY FOR 37 YEARS IN HIS COLLECTION IF THERE WAS A RARER ONE TO REPLACE IT? AND HE KNOWS HIS RECORDS?

WHAT I AM PUZZLED OVER IS WHERE DID I GET THE COPY THAT LOOKS LIKE THE ONE ON THIS THREAD, BUT WITH CENTER AND PROPER NAME, MORE TO THE POINT WHO DID I SELL IT TO???DID IT GET AN IRISH PRESS I WONDER?:lol: DAVE

Social source share

So what colour label and country of origin is yours?

mine states made in Italy and has Italian "words" on it (for want of a better description ), yours is in English with the centre pushed out, BUT it has a foreign picture sleeve. Don't think we've got to the bottom of this one yet.

Having said this my original copy of "Spooky & Sue" "I've got the need" is in a Ducth picture cover but the label is in English and the cover in Dutch

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

mine states made in Italy and has Italian "words" on it (for want of a better description ), yours is in English with the centre pushed out, BUT it has a foreign picture sleeve. Don't think we've got to the bottom of this one yet.

Having said this my original copy of "Spooky & Sue" "I've got the need" is in a Ducth picture cover but the label is in English and the cover in Dutch

Dunno it is a mystery! maybe they were all pressed up in the UK or maybe Italy and then exported and with different covers and label wording for each country? Wonder if JM could help with the investigation, or Ian Dewhirst, he's very knowledgeable about these things?

Social source share

The 45 that steveluigi has posted up a scan of (on the STIBBE label) is pressed in Holland/Netherlands.

It reads "Kant B" on the label.

"Kant" in dutch means "Side".

I.e. Side B.

Many european record labels used imported picture sleeves during the 60s and pressed up 45s in their own country resulting in several strange sleeve/45 combinations.

Social source share

The 45 that steveluigi has posted up a scan of (on the STIBBE label) is pressed in Holland/Netherlands.

It reads "Kant B" on the label.

"Kant" in dutch means "Side".

I.e. Side B.

Many european record labels used imported picture sleeves during the 60s and pressed up 45s in their own country resulting in several strange sleeve/45 combinations.

Phew thank God for that, mystery solved! Thank you Poirot LOL :thumbsup: Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Has anybody else noticed how the Dutch and the Italian picture sleeve photo of Rocky Roberts are slightly different?

He appears to be sitting more upright in the Italian photo.

Back in the mid/late 90s it seemed that each and every dealer at our local record fair here in Munich had multiple copies of the italian press. But they all had the sleeve of the dutch release as posted, I've seen the design of the italian sleeve as posted. I'm confused

Social source share

Also just thinking why does my copy say "made in Italy" and not "made in Italia" or the Italian equivalent, same with Spanish issue should it not say "made in Espania" or the Spanish equivalent. If these are issued in that country for sale in that country why print this in English.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Also just thinking why does my copy say "made in Italy" and not "made in Italia" or the Italian equivalent, same with Spanish issue should it not say "made in Espania" or the Spanish equivalent. If these are issued in that country for sale in that country why print this in English.

It was just common practice, especially on english language releases.

Most scandinavian releases read "Made in Sweden", "Made in Denmark" and "Made in Norway". The same goes for many other european countries like France, Holland etc.

Everything else on those spanish and italian Durium labels is written in the mother tongue.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Back in the mid/late 90s it seemed that each and every dealer at our local record fair here in Munich had multiple copies of the italian press. But they all had the sleeve of the dutch release as posted, I've seen the design of the italian sleeve as posted. I'm confused

Couldn't edit my original post. The highlighted bit makes no sense at all. What I wanted to say was:

I've never seen the design of the italian sleeve as posted before.

Social source share

Couldn't edit my original post. The highlighted bit makes no sense at all. What I wanted to say was:

I've never seen the design of the italian sleeve as posted before.

There seems to have been two different Italian issues of this 45.

NOTE that the catalogue number for "Just Because Of You" is CN A 9237.

I'd suggets that the sleeve with the following info is the FIRST issue because it advertises releases that were issued PRIOR to "Just Because Of You" i.e. CN A 9221, CN A 9222, CN A 9223 and the album MS A 77155 (these were all released in 1965/1966):

post-1392-0-30280900-1289293567_thumb.jp post-1392-0-72288200-1289293568_thumb.jp

The following is most likely the SECOND issue because it advertises and shows a picture of a release that was issued AFTER "Just Because Of You" i.e. CN A 9239 . It also advertises the single CN A 9236 and the album MS A 77163 (these were all released in 1967):

post-1392-0-25554000-1289293570_thumb.jp post-1392-0-33049200-1289293572_thumb.jp

I might be totally wrong ofcourse, but that's my take on it. :hatsoff2:

post-1392-0-30280900-1289293567_thumb.jp

post-1392-0-72288200-1289293568_thumb.jp

post-1392-0-25554000-1289293570_thumb.jp

post-1392-0-33049200-1289293572_thumb.jp

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

There seems to have been two different Italian issues of this 45.

NOTE that the catalogue number for "Just Because Of You" is CN A 9237.

I'd suggets that the sleeve with the following info is the FIRST issue because it advertises releases that were issued PRIOR to "Just Because Of You" i.e. CN A 9221, CN A 9222, CN A 9223 and the album MS A 77155 (these were all released in 1965/1966):

post-1392-0-30280900-1289293567_thumb.jp post-1392-0-72288200-1289293568_thumb.jp

The following is most likely the SECOND issue because it advertises and shows a picture of a release that was issued AFTER "Just Because Of You" i.e. CN A 9239 . It also advertises the single CN A 9236 and the album MS A 77163 (these were all released in 1967):

post-1392-0-25554000-1289293570_thumb.jp post-1392-0-33049200-1289293572_thumb.jp

I might be totally wrong ofcourse, but that's my take on it. :hatsoff2:

I think you're right - I mentioned earlier there was a later press.

The first press was promoted in Yellow (See post #25). Apart from the colour, the typeface and layout is identical)

The second press was promoted in White - Identical credits and list number, but different type face and layout - clearly some time after the first one.

I've never seen (or noticed) a black release to line up with the white demo), but i'd say that the new cover on the second post is the cover for this release.

Mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert