Book On The 1980S Scene

Guest Byrney

• Replies 66
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've decided to write a book on the 80's / 90's Rare Soul scene...Eddie...

Hello Eddie,

The 1980s and 1990s haven't been extensively documented yet there was a lot of activity around the country - the 'modern soul' boom, the 100 Club, the branding of 'crossover', lots of music fanzines and dozens of regional radio shows every week.

Today of course the internet is a huge advantage but, despite that, I remember the '80s and '90s as being very strong periods for record sales - obviously helped by the fact there were still hundreds of good record stores around the country in those days.

There were many changes in the 1990s so there are some interesting angles for you to write about.

On the modern side of things, some of the records being played in soul clubs were still crossing over towards the pop charts. It was a different world.

And the late '90s was probably the time when most people first "went online" so that's another significant factor.

Paul

Social source share

H

I've decided to write a book on the 80's / 90's Rare Soul scene , the clubs big and small , the influential characters , who discovered the records , cover ups , drugs ,New 60's/ 70's discoveries , new and recent releases of the time , crossover Soul , and want it to be a tribute to the largely unsung Heroes who kept the Rare Soul flame burning after Wigan closed etc .I want to interview all the major players on the scene , record dealers ,DJ's , characters , so any information ,stories , flyers etc would be very welcome . I'm going to write the book in 5 year blocks , so the first section will be 1981 - 1986 and cover Maxims Wigan , Clifton Hall Rotherham , Rebels Sheffield , Stafford , 100 Club , Morecombe, Yate [ 2nd time around ] and the clubs North of the border , plus any I've forgotten or unaware of . As someone who's never left the scene since joining it in 1972 , I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this project .Don't know how long it will take , but want to do the susbject justice and get it right . Many thanks for any help ....Eddie

Hi Eddie

Rob Marriott & Jim wensouria were major players on the northern scene in the 80ts,,,,I can get a contact for Rob.....Last time i heard on the grapevine Jim abit elusive,,,, was in the Mansfield area....both these guys will have a wealth of knowledge,probably will fill your first 3 chapters :hatsoff2: .

regards Mart B

Social source share

H

Hi Eddie

Rob Marriott & Jim wensouria were major players on the northern scene in the 80ts,,,,I can get a contact for Rob.....Last time i heard on the grapevine Jim abit elusive,,,, was in the Mansfield area....both these guys will have a wealth of knowledge,probably will fill your first 3 chapters :thumbsup: .

regards Mart B

That would be great if you could get me contact for Rob , those 2 you mentioned are exactly the kind of guys who helped mould the scene with good taste in the early 80's and beyond ....many thanks ,Eddie

Social source share

• 4 months later...

That would be great if you could get me contact for Rob , those 2 you mentioned are exactly the kind of guys who helped mould the scene with good taste in the early 80's and beyond ....many thanks ,Eddie

Rob was the MAN for me around 87, Dave charles, Ruby, Joe Hick's he always got me on't floor.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert