Unknown Modern Gem ... Any Info?

Mattfox

hi y'all,

possibly the hardest record to get hold of and even find any information about...I guess there's only one known acetate! Am I right? Or is it a lp only cut and someone spinned a dubplate? or a 45 cover up? any info???

or do ya know who used to spin this acetate or c/u back in the 80s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVS5tl4jiI

Enjoy this unknown track hidden away for over 30 years...and your help is really appreciated!!!

cheers, m.

Edited by mattfox
Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There is definitely a 45 release of this, Liam Quinn currently has it covered up, infact he showed me who it was but I've forgotten ....doh!

I like it too! he played it round our house and we mixed it into Barbara stclair when it breaks down and it sounded great.

Liam goes under the name 'too darn soulful' on here if you want to pm him....

Edited by DtheD
Social source share

There is definitely a 45 release of this, Liam Quinn currently has it covered up, infact he showed me who it was but I've forgotten ....doh!

I like it too! he played it round our house and we mixed it into Barbara stclair when it breaks down and it sounded great.

Liam goes under the name 'too darn soulful' on here if you want to pm him....

Dave .. let me get this right ........Liam brought it round ,you gave it a listen ,mixed it with "teacherman " and have forgotten it :lol:

It cant have left that much of an impression on you :thumbsup:

Thats the sort of thing i do ,but i'm usually three sheets to the wind :lol:

P.s Jordi i did'nt recognise you with your hair short and the tash shaved :D

Edited by NEV
Social source share

Dave .. let me get this right ........Liam brought it round ,you gave it a listen ,mixed it with "teacherman " and have forgotten it :D

It cant have left that much of an impression on you :thumbsup:

Thats the sort of thing i do ,but i'm usually three sheets to the wind :lol:

P.s Jordi i did'nt recognise you with your hair short and the tash shaved :thumbsup:

liam also showed me who it was but i cant remember it either nev and thats without mixing it with teachers or even a really good single malt :lol:

mark

Social source share

I must admit it does nothing for me and IMO is one of the many "a bit soulful" dance related disco tunes that came out in the mid 70's

Same here, John.

It's a bit contrived and the lyrics are dreadful.

If it was easily available nobody would give it any attention, that's what I reckon.

Paul

Social source share

hi y'all,

possibly the hardest record to get hold of and even find any information about...I guess there's only one known acetate! Am I right? Or is it a lp only cut and someone spinned a dubplate? or a 45 cover up? any info???

Enjoy this unknown track hidden away for over 30 years...and your help is really appreciated!!!

cheers, m.

Are you sure thats 70's sounds an awful lot like the guy who used to wear the hat with the horns coming out of it Jamiroquai

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I must admit it does nothing for me and IMO is one of the many "a bit soulful" dance related disco tunes that came out in the mid 70's

Not a bad track, i'd pay £20 at the most for this though and i LOVE 70's stuff!

Ste.:thumbup:

Social source share

Sounds immense played out, filled floors everywhere i've played it including some top Soul Clubs..Disco edged Modern Soul Winner...Clubs with a more vast Soul music Policy like Soul Function In Sweden etc. you'll hear top sounds with a similar fantastic vain which Soul heaads love...

FANTASTIC UNEARTHED GEM...

Social source share

Same here, John.

It's a bit contrived and the lyrics are dreadful.

If it was easily available nobody would give it any attention, that's what I reckon.

Paul

Agree!

Bloody awful like so many other 'ultra rare' records.

Another awful record is the other version of the Jackson sisters - Mark Cappiani - or summat like that - absolutely terrible effort.

Daz

Social source share

Agree Paul.

Trite Disco Fodder.

Lyrics are an absolute joke.

And nothing to do with Soul Music.

Sean

Quite, sounds like Sade after a Red Bull or two.

Social source share

This whole "if it was cheap no one would care about it" thing is ridiculous.

How often do you know the value of a record prior to the first time you actually HEAR a new-to-you tune?

The first time I heard the track in the clip above my first thought was "bloody hell! what's this? i love it!". NOT "how much is this?" or "ah! it's worth £xxx and as a result it must be great!". Its amount of "soul content" or lack of top notch deep, meaningful lyrics is totally irrelevant.

I still don't know what this record sells for or what people "value" it at.

Horses for courses. Some people like this tune, some don't. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

How often do you know the value of a record prior to the first time you actually HEAR a new-to-you tune?

The first time I heard the track in the clip above my first thought was "bloody hell! what's this? i love it!". NOT "how much is this?" or "ah! it's worth £xxx and as a result it must be great!". Its amount of "soul content" or lack of top notch deep, meaningful lyrics is totally irrelevant.

Horses for courses. Some people like this tune, some don't. :thumbsup:

I agree with you on the value thing, there are faaaaar too many trophy collectors out there who go for the big bucks records only so they can enjoy bragging to their small circle of like minded mates, i know a few like this as i'm sure we all do, the main concern should be is it actually any good or isn't it , and each to their own but this just isn't that good, so i hope the owner didn't pay too much as it pretty average in my opinion & i'm a fan of upbeat 70's funky / disco type stuff...

Ste.wink.gif

Social source share

Agree!

Bloody awful like so many other 'ultra rare' records.

Another awful record is the other version of the Jackson sisters - Mark Cappiani - or summat like that - absolutely terrible effort.

Daz

Heyup Daz

As the saying goes .....if it sounds like it was sung by an Italian it's not soul ..Beware

Dave Carboni ....Joey Delorenzo .....Mark Cappani et al :thumbsup:

P.s still trying to inject humour into this post as it's becoming too serious and predictable ....."it's only a record"

Social source share

liam,don't know it....but.... i like it !!! deffo got something about it ... soul/disco fusion vibe!!!......maybe not "funky" enough for the brit scene at the moment...but keep playing what you think is good and different....that's what takes the scene forward!!!!...and who cares of the value so long as you and others enjoy it

franc

ps nev whatsa matta wi da Eyeties!!!!???????? :thumbsup:

Edited by cobbles
Social source share

Sounds immense played out, filled floors everywhere i've played it including some top Soul Clubs..Disco edged Modern Soul Winner...Clubs with a more vast Soul music Policy like Soul Function In Sweden etc. you'll hear top sounds with a similar fantastic vain which Soul heaads love...

FANTASTIC UNEARTHED GEM...

Very nice tune Liam :thumbsup:

Social source share

Heard Liam play this a few times the recorded sound clip dosent do it justice its a massive floor filler as proven when hes played it out ,someone mentioned they pay £20 thats more than you paid for it Liam laugh.gif I wonder if Butch Sam etc had this and played it out would some people still be saying its ok £10 tune anyhoo Liam fantastic tune defo would go down a treat in forward thinking soul clubs particuarlly in mainland Europe seem to remember when you 1st played your Felix Harris 45a few years ago you got similar comments :thumbsup:

See you soon

Kieran

Social source share

...I wonder if Butch Sam etc had this and played it out would some people still be saying its ok £10 tune ...

exactly my thoughts Kieran as well. So many great tunes get aired all over the world but most of them dont get recognized or appreciated until (if at all that is) they get picked up and played by any of the so called big names. A shame really. Only to be topped by the slagging off of new tunes on here as soon as they get "nominated". Don`t know what all this "..sounds like 10, 20 UKP record" really is supposed to be all about. seems to be thought of some sort new ec normed quality tag....

Social source share

exactly my thoughts Kieran as well. So many great tunes get aired all over the world but most of them dont get recognized or appreciated until (if at all that is) they get picked up and played by any of the so called big names. A shame really. Only to be topped by the slagging off of new tunes on here as soon as they get "nominated". Don`t know what all this "..sounds like 10, 20 UKP record" really is supposed to be all about. seems to be thought of some sort new ec normed quality tag....

My most played 45 in my box at the mo cost me £5 including p&p away from the original post a good soul funk boogie northern record is good only because its good not because of price or rarity . Back to original post have been after Liams find since first hearing it hope it does stay at the 10 or 20 pound price if theres anymore out there that is Liam or have you bagged numerous copies :yes:

Social source share

Horses for courses. Some people like this tune, some don't. :yes:

I disagree and think some miss the point of "if it was cheap...."

If this record was a tenner it wouldn't get its own topic on Soul Source, I doubt it would ever get a mention by anyone let alone spins at a venue. We wouldn't be discussing it now. The only reason we are discussing it is because it is rare and covered up, not because it is good or bad. Its value was/is a factor.

Like you say horses for course, I'm in the same camp as Sean, poor disco with little or no soul content and there are better ten quid records out there ignored simply because this is rare. Too much snobbery when it comes to prices on this scene.

Social source share

I really enjoy this discussion, even I just was wondering if anyone knows the artists name!!! thumbsup.gif like I said before: I like this choon (not the best one - imo - but a solid one - deffo...I would give it a spin fo sho!

and btw. what is the so called modern? c'mon, we are talking about soul music biggrin.gif .. doesn't matter if it's called modern soul, disco / fusion, boogie or wtf...the only thang that's important: do ya like it!? nuthin else...sum got taste, sum not - lol

...cheers, m.

Edited by mattfox
Social source share

hi y'all,

cheers, m.

Just listened to it again F**king Brillant ttuuuuuuuunnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee likeI said before this soundclip dosent do it justice

Social source share

with so much great music to choose from I can't see how a record like this can even get played.

I can't hear any soul in this at all.

i'm all for the ethos of pushing things foreward and keeping it interesting but i'd rateher hear an underplayed 10 quid common record than this.

Social source share

If this record was a tenner [...] I doubt it would ever get a mention by anyone let alone spins at a venue.

You might be right that the majority of the DJs on the northern soul scene wouldn't play it or care for it if that was the case. It's very sad if that's true though.

I would enjoy the tune and DJ with it regardless if it cost £5, £10, £300 or £1000. I'm sure a lot of other people would as well. A bit of a paradox (to some) is that a tune like this would definitely get more plays in soul/funk/disco clubs if it was a £10 sound than if it was a £1000 sound (because there would be enough copies for everyone that wanted to own it).

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

liam,don't know it....but.... i like it !!! deffo got something about it ... soul/disco fusion vibe!!!......maybe not "funky" enough for the brit scene at the moment...but keep playing what you think is good and different....that's what takes the scene forward!!!!...and who cares of the value so long as you and others enjoy it

franc

ps nev whatsa matta wi da Eyeties!!!!???????? :thumbsup:

hi Frank

Its a not so bad,shaduppa ya face.lol

Social source share

I disagree and think some miss the point of "if it was cheap...."

If this record was a tenner it wouldn't get its own topic on Soul Source, I doubt it would ever get a mention by anyone let alone spins at a venue. We wouldn't be discussing it now. The only reason we are discussing it is because it is rare and covered up, not because it is good or bad. Its value was/is a factor.

Like you say horses for course, I'm in the same camp as Sean, poor disco with little or no soul content and there are better ten quid records out there ignored simply because this is rare. Too much snobbery when it comes to prices on this scene.

If it is covered up how do you know it is rare?

Unless you know who it is of course. But then what is the point of covering it up.

That said, I think it is not even average at best - rare or not. Sorry Liam.

Social source share

this is at least as good if not better

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=tcIK3i3q5NI

imo the clubs that are and will be keeping the SOUL scene going are playing records such as Liams gem of a find. Also you tend to get a younger soul crowd not bothered about the politics but wanting to hear good soul music to dance to particullarly in mainland Europe. Yes everybody is entitled to his or her opinion but why ridicule a soul tune, how many times have you heard a tune and not liked it no need to ridicule someone elses taste though is there. This is the kind of ting that keeps younger peeps away there not bothered when they first go to soul clubs about matrix numbers thats not the original when I went to wigan etc They want to come enjoy themselves feel part of the soul scene and hear music that sounds good and if this track Liam plays does and has filled floors and bring theyounger generation onside then thats all good just for the record ayone who knows Liam and has heard him out would know the quality of sets he can put out wether it be soul, funk, xover modern even been known to play a nice ska set keep up the good work digging for soul :thumbsup:

Social source share

If it is covered up how do you know it is rare?

Unless you know who it is of course. But then what is the point of covering it up.

That said, I think it is not even average at best - rare or not. Sorry Liam.

I don't know how rare it is, I based my comments on what the first post said and that those who had seen it haven't said it is common as muck. I don't know why it's covered, maybe it is rare.

I still say the only reason it is being talked about is because it is allegedly rare and covered up, if it was a tenner disco record it wouldn't get a mention no matter how good it is.

Social source share

imo the clubs that are and will be keeping the SOUL scene going are playing records such as Liams gem of a find. Also you tend to get a younger soul crowd not bothered about the politics but wanting to hear good soul music to dance to particullarly in mainland Europe. Yes everybody is entitled to his or her opinion but why ridicule a soul tune, how many times have you heard a tune and not liked it no need to ridicule someone elses taste though is there. This is the kind of ting that keeps younger peeps away there not bothered when they first go to soul clubs about matrix numbers thats not the original when I went to wigan etc They want to come enjoy themselves feel part of the soul scene and hear music that sounds good and if this track Liam plays does and has filled floors and bring theyounger generation onside then thats all good just for the record ayone who knows Liam and has heard him out would know the quality of sets he can put out wether it be soul, funk, xover modern even been known to play a nice ska set keep up the good work digging for soul :thumbsup:

It is nothing to do with scene politics, why do people always bring out that chestnut to back up their arguments?

Social source share

Joining a forum,voicing your opinion on this thread makes you part of the so called politics.

Debating is politics,like it or lump it!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert