Cover Ups

Guest Pete Higson

Guest Pete Higson

It was always with intrigue in the early 70s when starting out about the d js

imagination of pseudonyms and titles of cover up sounds.

Loved the secrecy and the thrill when you actually found out what it was

called and who it was by. nearly as satisfying as getting a copy of the record itself !

I'm sure this subject has been covered before,but here are a few of my favourites;

Freddie Jones "my hearts wide open" - Coasters "crazy baby"

Roy Handy "live,live,live" - Freddie Williams - "got to live while I can"

Estella Dennison -this man of mine" - Ila Vann - "can't help loving this man"

The Lebaron Strings - "I miss my baby" - Doni Burdock - "Baritrack"

Johnny Caswell - "loving you" - Paul Anka - "can't help loving you"

Moses Smith - Epitome of Sound - "you don't love me"

Just half a dozen there, the list is endless, feel free to add to it.

Pete H

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Pete Higson

Cheers for that Chriss, will have a look on Dave's site,

you can tell I'm not out tonight, and have not a great

deal to do !

Social source share

Guest roggert

It was always with intrigue in the early 70s when starting out about the d js

imagination of pseudonyms and titles of cover up sounds.

Loved the secrecy and the thrill when you actually found out what it was

called and who it was by. nearly as satisfying as getting a copy of the record itself !

I'm sure this subject has been covered before,but here are a few of my favourites;

Freddie Jones "my hearts wide open" - Coasters "crazy baby"

Roy Handy "live,live,live" - Freddie Williams - "got to live while I can"

Estella Dennison -this man of mine" - Ila Vann - "can't help loving this man"

The Lebaron Strings - "I miss my baby" - Doni Burdock - "Baritrack"

Johnny Caswell - "loving you" - Paul Anka - "can't help loving you"

Moses Smith - Epitome of Sound - "you don't love me"

Just half a dozen there, the list is endless, feel free to add to it.

hi at the wheel in 1966to 1969 a lot of discs-especially as they were just being relased were covered up so no one would know the titles! even when they were number 1 in detroit area listings like bang bang man , travis womack was at 4 inthese lists with scratchy ----a £10 disc equivalent to aweeks wage!!!!! when you could order it for 45 pence if you knew its name!!!!!!!!!! nothing ever changed at allniters it just got a new name -northern soul and the faces got younger!!and the records i bought for pennnies became worth mega bucks !!

roggert

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

My fave c/u title was Steve Karmen's Breakaway covered as Johnny Adams Band "Black Ship to Hell"

Don't think you have that on your list Flynny, if so I couldn't see it

Social source share

I must admit I always enjoyed the intrigue of cover ups , here's a couple from the Stafford era that I stll can't identify , : " You got me locked up " - Aaron Varnell , and " Your love has got me " - Al Williams and The Masqueraders .....anyone help ? Thanks ,Eddie

Al Williams, maybe Satin or one of the others, James Phelphs, John Edwards?

Social source share

My fave c/u title was Steve Karmen's Breakaway covered as Johnny Adams Band "Black Ship to Hell"

fer,fer,flippin' eck....YER'VE HIT T'NAIL ONT HEAD THERE LAD,......THIS HAS TO BE THE GREATEST AND MOST IMAGINATIVE COVER-UP TITLE .......EVER!!.....ONLY AT THE MECCA EH?

Social source share

You're correct, it ain't on there...in my database I have a question mark against the cover up artist name...agree with the title though!

So, was it defo the 'Johnny Adams Band'...if yes am more than happy to add it on finally.

(The Revlons was on the list, mind!)

:thumbup:

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

reckon so, Deadbeats - No Second Chance - Strata

The Phantom Janitor was actually the cleaner at Stax records , apparently he used to burst into the studio with his hoover etc and ruin recording sessions !! I remember reading about him in a B &S article , years ago .Prehaps thats where Richard got this imaginative title from ? Cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

You're correct, it ain't on there...in my database I have a question mark against the cover up artist name...agree with the title though!

So, was it defo the 'Johnny Adams Band'...if yes am more than happy to add it on finally.

(The Revlons was on the list, mind!)

:thumbup:

To be honest with you I couldn't think of the c/u artist name but looked around on the net. Johnny Adams Band didn't ring any bells though so perhaps shouldn't have stated that. I have seen it mentioned as --

Johnny Adams Band

Johnny Adams Experience

Johnny Jackson Experience

However I did originally think it was Johnny Jackson Experience but Melvin Carter "Midnight Brew" was c/u as by Johnny Jackson Experience so not so sure.

I used to be up on these in the days of the old Mecca ads but memories shot to pieces.

Anyone know for sure ?

:shades:

Social source share

if that's true then that is one fantastic fact!!!

Nothing to do with the bog-cleaner at Wigan then.......cos that's what l heard.... :thumbup:

It was the Wigan cleaner .If my memory serves me right it was Dave Alcock who called him (the cleaner ) that name in the dressing room behind the stage - he just 'materialised' in the room & started picking upcoke bottles looking like a zombie .R.S. pissed himself laughing .Myself , Tony Worot ,Andy Wast & (I think ) Brian Rae were also there .........I always assumed thats where the name came from as a few nighters latter 'No Second Chance' was covered up as The Phantom Janitor....................Perhaps best to ask Richard ?

Social source share

I must admit I always enjoyed the intrigue of cover ups , here's a couple from the Stafford era that I stll can't identify , : " You got me locked up " - Aaron Varnell , and " Your love has got me " - Al Williams and The Masqueraders .....anyone help ? Thanks ,Eddie

Hi Eddie...could the "locked up" track be Sammy Ridgely? :thumbup: ....that was from Stafford..it's in refosoul and my last played.

Hope it is

Best

Ed

Edited by Eddies
Social source share

As Eddie says, the Phantom Janitor was the cleaner at Stax studios.

Sean

Must have been a strange coincidence then Sean - I remember the above mentioned incident as if it happened yesterday ,it was one of those things that sticks in your mind for no apparent reason

Social source share

As Eddie says, the Phantom Janitor was the cleaner at Stax studios.

Sean

I'm maybe getting my references a little mixed up, but I'm sure it was in Pete Guralnick's book 'Sweet Soul Music' that one of the Stax staffers went into a little more detail about the PJ. Seemingly he was something of an eccentric, frustrated performer trapped in a job as a janitor, and was forever trying to 'accidentaly-on-purpose' make his presence felt in recording sessions - like barging in the studio or using his vacuum cleaner while recording was in progress, in the hope he would ghost his was into the record. Hence 'Phantom' Janitor. For a while took to appearing for work with a brief case, like an executive. They couldn't figure out why a janitor needed a briefcase so sneaked a look inside it one day. It was full of toilet rolls...

Edit: just read Eddie's earlier post with the vacuum cleaner reference..:thumbsup:

Edited by Alan Walls
Social source share

To be honest with you I couldn't think of the c/u artist name but looked around on the net. Johnny Adams Band didn't ring any bells though so perhaps shouldn't have stated that. I have seen it mentioned as --

Johnny Adams Band

Johnny Adams Experience

Johnny Jackson Experience

However I did originally think it was Johnny Jackson Experience but Melvin Carter "Midnight Brew" was c/u as by Johnny Jackson Experience so not so sure.

I used to be up on these in the days of the old Mecca ads but memories shot to pieces.

Anyone know for sure ?

:rolleyes:

100% it was Johnny Adams Band.

I have a tape somewhere with Levine saying that at the Mecca.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest I KNOW NOTHING

Ten Cover ups, and who they really were:

1. The Performers - This He Said To Me was really The Delcos - Arabia - Showcase

2. Eddie Foster - Do I Love You was really Frank Wilson - Do I Love You - Soul

3. Shirley Matthews - Naughty Boy was really Jackie Day - Naughty Boy - Phelectron

4. The Del Larks - Just You And I was really The Mello Souls - Just You And I - Mello

5. George Kirby - If I Were You was really Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over - Tollie

6. Chavis Brothers - Say Yes Baby was really - The Matadors - Say Yes Baby - Chavis

7. Johnny Caswell - Can't help Loving You was really Paul Anka - Can't Help Loving You - RCA

8. Lenny Gamble - I'll Do Anything was actually Tony Blackburn - I'll Do Anything - Pye

9. Rose Valentine & The Sisters 3 - When He's Not Around was really Little Ann - When He's Not Around - Unreleased Acetate

10. Eddie Banks - My Baby was really The Springers - Nothing's Too Good For My Baby - Wale

Social source share

Ten Cover ups, and who they really were:

1. The Performers - This He Said To Me was really The Delcos - Arabia - Showcase

2. Eddie Foster - Do I Love You was really Frank Wilson - Do I Love You - Soul

3. Shirley Matthews - Naughty Boy was really Jackie Day - Naughty Boy - Phelectron

4. The Del Larks - Just You And I was really The Mello Souls - Just You And I - Mello

5. George Kirby - If I Were You was really Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over - Tollie

6. Chavis Brothers - Say Yes Baby was really - The Matadors - Say Yes Baby - Chavis

7. Johnny Caswell - Can't help Loving You was really Paul Anka - Can't Help Loving You - RCA

8. Lenny Gamble - I'll Do Anything was actually Tony Blackburn - I'll Do Anything - Pye

9. Rose Valentine & The Sisters 3 - When He's Not Around was really Little Ann - When He's Not Around - Unreleased Acetate

10. Eddie Banks - My Baby was really The Springers - Nothing's Too Good For My Baby - Wale

When was Sam Fletcher covered up?

Was it covered up at Stafford?

I played it as Sam Fletcher around the Burnley area circa 79.yes.gif

Social source share

The Phantom Janitor was actually the cleaner at Stax records , apparently he used to burst into the studio with his hoover etc and ruin recording sessions !! I remember reading about him in a B &S article , years ago .Prehaps thats where Richard got this imaginative title from ? Cheers ,Eddie

Yes i heard the same story

DJ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert