River City Records - Missouri

Picked up a copy of some months back of The La Niers - I've got myself together - River City Records. Absolutely love the sound, arrangement, vocals, flip side,everything.

La Niers - I've got myself together -

post-9478-038710600 1286489758_thumb.jpg

Then I came across The Angels...

Angels - More than ever now

post-9478-004492400 1286489641_thumb.jpe

Obviously the same group & studio musicians, possibly the same session, and with arrangements that came out of the same tin. Know anything about the group, the label, and any other releases? It's a brilliant sound and I'd love to find out about it...

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Eddies

might be memory playing tricks but I'm pretty sure I've got the "more than ever now" side credited as the Laniers...will dig it out when I get chance

Best

Ed

Social source share

Thanks, Ed. Yes please, that would be very useful indeed.

Thanks, Bob. I'll seek to explore possible connections.

In the meantime, an attempt to scratch the surface reveals much about the arranger, Hugh Whalum. When you find he's such a distinguished musician, he's not difficult to track down.

post-9478-020723300 1286580217_thumb.jpg

Here's an article I found straight off..

Hugh 'Peanut' Whalum - album review

As a member of the Central State Collegians, he played Carnegie Hall, sharing the stage with Woody Herman, Billy Eckstine, Peggy Lee and Ella Fitzgerald. He and his college cohorts (including the renowned Frank Foster) were called in on a gig in Dayton, Ohio, when the band that was hired to back Billy Eckstine cancelled. Eckstine was so impressed that when he played Indianapolis, "Peanuts" and company were brought in once again. "On this particular night", "Peanuts" recalls, "Jazz At The Philharmonic" was in town... So look who's coming to see Eckstine, but Ella Fitzgerald, Lester Young, Howard McGee, etc. They sat in, so I played with young and McGee and behind Ella.

Following graduation (with a degree in chemistry), he toured with the Lionel Hampton Band on tenor sax, ultimately relocating to St. Louis, playing solo piano at hotels, theatres and clubs around the city, gigging on sax with the likes of Miles Davis and Ed Thigpen when they came to town. "I have a picture with Miles and Ed," "Peanuts" chuckles. "We're wearing Zoot suits."

The Frank Foster mentioned is the same one who went on to international fame as a jazz saxophonist in his own right and for his work with Count Basie. He would become known to the soul scene decades later, particularly for his track 'Harlem Rumble'.

So, auspicious starts to unearthing some information about this St Louis label.

Any and all info welcomed...

Social source share

So - eight times Grammy nominated musician Kirk Whalum has Hugh Whalum for an uncle (and a musical family almost as big as the Neville Bros).

Found this trailer for a dvd entitled 'The Gospel According to Jazz - Part III'. Led by cousin Kirk Whalum, and with an impressive sax cameo from the elderly uncle Hugh (arranger for River City Records, remember), it features an impressive line up of quality musicians and singers for those who appreciate such stuff.

Wow - it just reinforces how ignorant I continue to be about music in general!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Both tunes used to be regular plays for me in the early Friendship soul nights and in 2007/08 i sold them both, but before me my mate Vault of soul DJ, Errol Green had been hammering more than ever now for many years but alas the plays seemed to fall on deaf ears, personally more than ever now is the better tune,

Early copies of More than ever now didn't have any label tampering and credits "The Angels" as the band later copies had a crudely placed typed name tag of "the Laniers" placed over the Angels name, when you find copies many have had the Laniers name tag removed but there is always glue residue or label damage in this area.

I was told that the name change was because the release coincided with the release of the other Band Called the Angels who had the big hit with "My Boyfriends Back" and the record was quickly pulled and re-stickered but it missed the boat hence why it is the rarer of the two...how true that is is open to debate I'm sure

Geeooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert