Records Professionally Cleaned; Any Info

Hi Folks,

just looking for some advice/info on where i can get records professionally cleaned to remove background noise or at least improve it!

I also have a record that has a slight skip in it is there anyway that this can be removed or improved in anyway?

any info or advice would be great....

Many Thanks

Callum :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Folks,

just looking for some advice/info on where i can get records professionally cleaned to remove background noise or at least improve it!

I also have a record that has a slight skip in it is there anyway that this can be removed or improved in anyway?

Many Thanks

don't know about scratches but when it comes to background noise i use a "Disco-Antistat Record Cleaning Set" by Knosti (Germany) which is pretty good. It's like a manual washing machine for records (both lps and 45s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXHKeM2TGWQ

https://www.avreview.co.uk/review/reviewproductreviews/mps/rpn/4312/prod/Knosti_Disco%20Antistat/rcn/50/rgn/6/v/1/p/1/

https://www.thomann.de/gb/knosti_schallplattenwaschgeraet.htm

It's really good for dusty grooves, and it usually improves the sound quality as it takes away decades of dirt and grease deposited on the grooves. Try ebay.de

g

Social source share

Hi Folks,

Many Thanks

Callum, re: the skip. I will have to find the old post but I got Dean to do it on a bargain I got from America that had a jump right at the beginning.

I didn't wanna do it incase it went wrong...but it worked perfectly.

Something along the lines of rubbing it with your thumb in the direction of the grooves until it gets warm and keep repeating til it smooths the skip...:lol:

Social source share

Callum, re: the skip. I will have to find the old post but I got Dean to do it on a bargain I got from America that had a jump right at the beginning.

Something along the lines of rubbing it with your thumb in the direction of the grooves until it gets warm and keep repeating til it smooths the skip...:rolleyes:

Hi Sian,

Any info on dean's thumb rubbing would be great.It's a pretty special record so i'd like to try and sort it if possible otherwise i'll just have to play it with a skip half way through, lol!

Social source share

Hi Sian,

Any info on dean's thumb rubbing would be great.It's a pretty special record so i'd like to try and sort it if possible otherwise i'll just have to play it with a skip half way through, lol!

Well I've been right back to July '08, I didn't realise I could talk that much...:lol:

I can't find the original member who gave the advise but found the one where I passed it onto someone else.

It does work...:lol:

Wet your thumb with spit and rub the jump til your finger gets warm, rub the same way the needle would go.

Then play.

If it doesn't work first time, do it again for a couple of times.

Makes sure you do it til your thumb gets quite warm.

Social source share

Well I've been right back to July '08, I didn't realise I could talk that much...:lol:

I can't find the original member who gave the advise but found the one where I passed it onto someone else.

It does work...:lol:

Wet your thumb with spit and rub the jump til your finger gets warm, rub the same way the needle would go.

Then play.

If it doesn't work first time, do it again for a couple of times.

Makes sure you do it til your thumb gets quite warm.

...and then the alarm goes off and you wake up... :lol:

Social source share

what about a record that sticks, anyway of sorting that out, does anybody know of someone offering a service that sorts this problem out, sure i read once on SS of a member offering this service, can't find the thread though....phil

I used to be able to do it, I can still do it sometimes but my eyes are so bad now that it's really difficult to see what I'm doing.

If you've got good eyesight, all you need is a scalpel.

Social source share

If you know anyone who has a player that has 78rpm try playing it on that (don't flip the stylus over though, leave it on 45rpm stylus).

Sometimes the faster speed helps 'cut' through the jump.

Also try turning deck backwards manually where it skips, sometimes it will cut back over skip when turned in reverse.

Then you can try a fine needle and magnifying glass to physically scratch over whatever is causing the skip by rejoining the groove correctly.

Other than that.....try the spit and thumb method.

Probably won't work, but your thumb will be so sore you won't give a shit about the record for a while... :lol:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

...and then the alarm goes off and you wake up... :lol:

Rubbing spit into a record with your thumb until it gets warm will result in two things:

1, a record that smells of spit.

2, a blister on the end of your thumb.

Capitol advice.

If you know anyone who has a player that has 78rpm try playing it on that (don't flip the stylus over though, leave it on 45rpm stylus).

Sometimes the faster speed helps 'cut' through the jump.

Also try turning deck backwards manually where it skips, sometimes it will cut back over skip when turned in reverse.

Then you can try a fine needle and magnifying glass to physically scratch over whatever is causing the skip by rejoining the groove correctly.

Other than that.....try the spit and thumb method.

Probably won't work, but your thumb will be so sore you won't give a shit about the record for a while... biggrin.gif

Oh yee of little faith...:lol:

I have the record that now plays perfectly to prove it works...:ohmy:

Good job I'm not intimidated by you men folk...:lol:

Social source share

I have a Loricraft record cleaner;

https://www.loricraft.com/prc2.html

It was, without a shadow of a doubt, the best investment I've ever made when it comes to records. I trialled various "professional" cleaning machines before I purchased this one, and it knocked spots off the others for performance.

As for removing scratches, the answer is no. Nothing can do that. However, a thorough clean can very often cure record skips, because the stylus runs deeper and truer in the groove, and isn't riding on years of accumulated muck. I cleaned a friend's entire collection he sold before emigrating, and it raised many a records grading, and cured lots of skips.

I cringe now when I read some of the crude cleaning methods suggested, it takes me a fraction of the time and with far better results.

...and no, I'm not on commission!!!:thumbsup:

Social source share

Try contacting Glenn Bellamy from Out of The Past Records. He will clean a record up and improve the grading as can me old mate Jem Brittin who is a member on here.

Yeah but the sound stays the same despite the record looking cleaner, I understand why they do it but it's not an honest thing to do.

Social source share

Something along the lines of rubbing it with your thumb in the direction of the grooves until it gets warm and keep repeating til it smooths the skip...:ohmy:

Wont that give the disk a Chinese burn :rolleyes:

Social source share

Yeah but the sound stays the same despite the record looking cleaner, I understand why they do it but it's not an honest thing to do.

Pete, I promise you that it does get a lot of the background pops and clicks out. Jem has done a few for me that have turned up from evil bay looking wrecked. He has managed to turn them into very playable copies that I would have binned.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert