First White Woman

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

Sorry if this as been done before Chris Clark was the first white woman to sign for motown ,and Kiki Dee was the first british woman ,am i right ? pub quiz ! or was it debbie dean ?

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

chris clark was there pretty early on, as for recording, not until mid-60's. foxed me a bit as id forgotten about debbie dean, yes, she did cut some stuff early doors so, thats probably the right order.....however, no doubt about ms. dee, great voice and deserving of the opportunity that came her way. dont forget susan schumaker as well!!. on the subject of groups, i would have thought mike and the modifiers would have qualified as first white group.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

pretty neat pictures and wonder if we can get a whole list of white artists on Motown, R Dean Taylor must have been one of the white males on Motown

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Debbie Dean was the first white artist/woman on Motown. Her debut single for the company was # 1007, "Don't Let Him Shop Around", in 1960.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

i wasnt sure the lewis sisters were that early brillant photos,you would never think they did' Breakaway' would you, so im still none the wiser ,come on iv got a pint riding on this,

Social source share

The Valadiers apparently think they were first...  :D

yes, they are the first white vocal group on Motown. Nick & the Jaguars are the first white artists of any kind however

that bio on the Valadiers page is a bit dodgy - "It all started back in 1959 ... At the time Motown was considered one of the most successful independent recording companies existing." - not in 1959 it wasn't!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i wasnt sure the lewis sisters were that early brillant photos,you would never think they did' Breakaway' would you, so im still none the wiser ,come on iv got a pint riding on this,

Did you not read my posting that confirmed that - per your question - Debbie Dean was the first white woman to be signed to Motown - as a singer and songwriter - in 1960, then?

Was my wording not clear enough to understand?

Didn't she look white enough to you in 123-Motown's excellent pic sleeve of one of her early Motown 45s?

What's the point of posting accurate information up here if you choose to ignore it?

I don't know why I fcuking bother sometimes...:D

Social source share

Guest I KNOW NOTHING

Did you not read my posting that confirmed that - per your question - Debbie Dean was the first white woman to be signed to Motown - as a singer and songwriter - in 1960, then?

Didn't she look white enough to you in 123-Motown's excellent pic sleeve of one of her early Motown 45s?

What's the point of posting accurate information up here if you choose to ignore it?

DONT BOTHER THEN !!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

DONT BOTHER THEN !!

Oh, yes, very funny - who writes your scripts, Patrick Kielty?

The bloke posted up for some information, I posted up the correct information, he's chosen to ignore it and is still asking the same question.

Unless you're him under another name, I suggest you go and peddle your pearls of wisdom on another thread, you've added nothing to this one...

Social source share

Guest soulboy

point taken , i almost said debbie dean to !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert