Derek Martin - The Roulette Recordings

Ian Dewhirst

Just curious really.

My artwork guy Jaffa has been driving me crazy all week getting me to listen to this under-promoted EMI CD release. I'm totally stunned at how good it is. I've heard at least 3 Northern monsters including his version of "On A Magic Carpet Ride" and the absolutely brilliant "Baby What Changed Your Mind" which is vaguely reminiscent of Billy Prophets "What Can I Do".

And "Flashback" is just absolutely f*ckin' BRILLIANT. Is this stuff known? Was any of it on acetate or something?

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Butch has played flashback from acetate for years, Searling has one too. I've played out both Baby what changed your mind and he fantastic I can't take it no more. Another to listen to is the fabulous soulful After all is said and done.

I put a few of these in refosoul when the cd came out.

Social source share

Just curious really.

My artwork guy Jaffa has been driving me crazy all week getting me to listen to this under-promoted EMI CD release. I'm totally stunned at how good it is. I've heard at least 3 Northern monsters including his version of "On A Magic Carpet Ride" and the absolutely brilliant "Baby What Changed Your Mind" which is vaguely reminiscent of Billy Prophets "What Can I Do".

And "Flashback" is just absolutely f*ckin' BRILLIANT. Is this stuff known? Was any of it on acetate or something?

Ian D :thumbup:

derek martin - flashback -

Social source share

derek martin - after all is said and done -

derek martin - i can't take it no more -

old topic....

Think it costs about seven quid on amazon, bargain.

Yep just invested in one myself. It's unbelievable that he made so much great unreleased material innit? Makes me wonder what else is in those Roulette vaults........?

Apologies that it's taken me 2 years to stumble into this but what a find!

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yep just invested in one myself. It's unbelievable that he made so much great unreleased material innit? Makes me wonder what else is in those Roulette vaults........?

Apologies that it's taken me 2 years to stumble into this but what a find!

Ian D :yes:

...I have a pretty good working knowledge of what's in the Roulette vaults. Bob Fisher and I spent many hours identifying hundreds of unmarked session reels from the mid 50s onwards towards the end of the last century, when we were extensively mining the tapes for release on Sequel and Westside. We'd planned to issue this Derek Martin material on Westside, but both of us moved on and nothing got done about it

Most of the good unissued stuff by other artists - certainly as far as soul fans are concerned - has now been issued, so don't get too hot under the collar about it, mate!

BTW I thought then, and still think now, that most of the originally unissued DM sides on this CD are a bit lightweight. The only real killer among them is the fabulous (and probably original) version of "What Greater Love".

"On A Magic Carpet Ride" isn't even as good as Gabriela Cilmi''s version...

...I can certainly see why the majority of them got passed over for release back in the day.

Social source share

BTW I thought then, and still think now, that most of the originally unissued DM sides on this CD are a bit lightweight. The only real killer among them is the fabulous (and probably original) version of "What Greater Love".

"On A Magic Carpet Ride" isn't even as good as Gabriela Cilmi''s version...

...I can certainly see why the majority of them got passed over for release back in the day.

ohmy.gif I personally think I Can't Take It No More is fantastic dancer, great northern, sounds fab out LOUD. Someone always comes and asks what it is. Baby What Changed Your Mind is not far behind and as I said After All Is Said And Done is a fabulous piece of soul music IMHO.

On A Magic Carpet Ride I can't strand any of the versions, they are all sh*t IMO whistling.gif

But each to their own, be boring if we all liked the same.

Social source share

See they also included both sides of Derek's 2 Buttercup 45's on this comp. (Buttercup being one of Teddy Randazzo's labels). That man Teddy Randazzo.... so much respect for his style. The ballad "Your Love Made A Man Out Of Me" has (for me) gotta be one of Derek Martin's finest sides. (Along with of course "Sly Girl" perhaps Teddy's finest "Northern" moment ?)

Love Derek Martin's vocal style, so distinctive!

derek martin - your love made a man out of me -

steve

Social source share

Guest nhsoulie

bought the cd a while ago but not listened to it yet silly man that iam

oh and gabreila is shite no where near black enough for my taste haha

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

oh and gabreila is shite no where near black enough for my taste haha

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease don't open that door again....:wicked::lol::yes:

Social source share

...I have a pretty good working knowledge of what's in the Roulette vaults. Bob Fisher and I spent many hours identifying hundreds of unmarked session reels from the mid 50s onwards towards the end of the last century, when we were extensively mining the tapes for release on Sequel and Westside. We'd planned to issue this Derek Martin material on Westside, but both of us moved on and nothing got done about it

Most of the good unissued stuff by other artists - certainly as far as soul fans are concerned - has now been issued, so don't get too hot under the collar about it, mate! BTW I thought then, and still think now, that most of the originally unissued DM sides on this CD are a bit lightweight.

The only real killer among them is the fabulous (and probably original) version of "What Greater Love". "On A Magic Carpet Ride" isn't even as good as Gabriela Cilmi''s version... ...I can certainly see why the majority of them got passed over for release back in the day.

Well, I'm deffo on a Derek Martin roll at the moment - I'm loving "Fallen Out Of Love" on Vibration too. It's all Jaffa's fault. These artwork types tend to get a bit obssessive and sometimes it rubs off LOL...

"Baby What Changed Your Mind" and "Flashback" are both absolute killers for me.

Derek Martin "Fallen Out Of Love"

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Well, I'm deffo on a Derek Martin roll at the moment - I'm loving "Fallen Out Of Love" on Vibration too. It's all Jaffa's fault. These artwork types tend to get a bit obssessive and sometimes it rubs off LOL...

"Baby What Changed Your Mind" and "Flashback" are both absolute killers for me.

Derek Martin "Fallen Out Of Love"

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Great track "Falling Out Of Love" from 1973 on Vibration, the other side is a great soul ballad from the man too "That's What I'll Do" Both sides ably penned by Sylvia Robinson and Brother To Brother's vocalist Michael Burton

derek martin - that's what i'll do -

steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert