Almost Bargains, Ebay Near Misses

Dean

Only to entertain myself for a few minutes.:

Being a tight arsed bargain hunter I'm always on the watch.

I've seen a couple of threads recently about 'Last 5 bought' and 'bargains'. Not that these are the most frustrating to me (if I was that bothered I'd bid more), these are just the last 5 I've missed on ebay by one late bid. There are some bargains out there;

Barbara English - Sittin in the Corner: AURORA, bid £52 went for £53. Great and clean, X felt tip on label.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400155489612&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

LaBrenda Ben - Just Be Yourself / I can't Help it: Gordy white promo. Bid $14 went for $14.50. Looks a good VG+

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220671888272&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

J. B. Troy - Live On: Musicor. This was interesting, seller lister as J. B. Hunt - Live On. Bid $83 went for $84. Only rated as Vg but looked ok.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290476878008&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Bunny Sigler - Will You Love Me Tomorrow / Comparatively Speaking: Decca Issue. Bid $31 went for $32. Sated as nea mint and looked near mint.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270636567824&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Nolan Porter - If I Could Only Be Sure - Probe (Peruvian Issue). Bid $42 went for $43, VG+ good Peru sleeve too, nice curiosity.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320587376448&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

How many times do you sit and think if it wasn't one other buyer I'd have got right bargain there!!:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

cos i only work nights i always put a bid in (within reason) so that i,m winning before i go to work, gives me something to look forward to (apart from a warm bed ) when i get home, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. these are the last five that didn't..

zz & company-get ready for the getdown-COLUMBUS- bid 66 went for 68

joe bataan-subway joe LP-FANIA- bid $78.78, went for $81

the chimes-beginning of my life-DOWN TO EARTH, bid £14.14, went for £14.64

4 x bobby bland 45's-DUKE, bid £5.01, went for £5.51

joe bataan-uptown-FANIA, bid $31.32, went for $ 32.32

Social source share

You can't be sure you just missed out Dean - the winning bidders could have actually bid a lot more that the price they won them for

Hope that makes you feel better :thumbsup:

I can mostly smile about it. Your right you never know what the top bid is and if you would only succeed in bumping up the price for the top bidder rather than winning. I seem to go through stages where I'm always the second highest bidder and I end up thinking "if only person x would hadn't been looking". Silly I know but it's an often held thought. Doesn't feel so bad when there's 3 or 4 bidders above you.

It's only vinyl :lol:

Social source share

I can quote a few I've lost to you. All's fair in record bidding, best of luck Pete.

What really gets on my nerves is these fake bidding c*nts on ebay reggae, I'll do a covering bid of say 30 quid, I beat the high bidder who only bids 15 quid, so the record is mine for 16 quid - then a fake comes along last minute and bids 40; he doesn't pay, and a day later I get a second chance offer - at 40 quid.

Social source share

What really gets on my nerves is these fake bidding c*nts on ebay reggae, I'll do a covering bid of say 30 quid, I beat the high bidder who only bids 15 quid, so the record is mine for 16 quid - then a fake comes along last minute and bids 40; he doesn't pay, and a day later I get a second chance offer - at 40 quid.

i,ve had two in the last momth, Alice clark LP and lee brackett- ruby/save a foolish man, i,m tempted sometimes but i,ve never bought the record, you just know its been a fake bid to bump up the price,

Social source share

My "All's fair" statement was only meant to refer to genuine buyers. Obviously not this practice. Only experienced (or suspected) this twice in several years, is it more prevalent on reggae buying?

Social source share

Worst thing for me is actually forgetting to bid, as I don't use proxy bids all the time.

If the record ends in the morning, I try to wake up but it never happens :thumbsup: For example: Ace Spectrum 0.99 dls, a lot of 100 45s with some interesting stuff, 11.00 dls.

Although the worst (recent) case was last week, when I was after a copy of myriam Makeba and Bongi's LP. I did a search en eBay and there were around four copies ranging from 15 to 40 or so bucks. I did a complete search and I found an un sold copy or 5 dollars or so. Being, as you, a very tight arsed bargain hunter, contacted the sellers to see if it was available.

It was, and he agreed to put it up again. He relisted it without a buy it now, but it was ok because there was no (apparent) interest in it. Come the last day and I bid something like ten bucks thinking I'm gonna be the only bidder. When I woke up and went into eBay, I was, of course, outbid by 50 cents. I was fooking pissed!!!!

To make things worst, there were no more copies on eBay, so I ended up creating a GEMM account and getting it for 35 dollars inc. shipping...

Social source share

My "All's fair" statement was only meant to refer to genuine buyers. Obviously not this practice. Only experienced (or suspected) this twice in several years, is it more prevalent on reggae buying?

Yeah, anything from 1964 to 1970, I would say 7 out of every 10 bids is a fake. It's decimated the reggae section and many people, such as myself, have stopped listing on there now. Last lot I did 12 auctions, every single one ruined by a fake bidder.

Social source share

I seem to go through stages where I'm always the second highest bidder and I end up thinking "if only person x would hadn't been looking". Silly I know but it's an often held thought. Doesn't feel so bad when there's 3 or 4 bidders above you.

It's only vinyl :hatsoff2:

I feel likewise in these situations, especially when there's a big gap between my 2nd place bid and a low 3rd place bid. Then I think the winner must be cursing me but the seller will be grateful.

Alan

Social source share

Worst thing for me is actually forgetting to bid, as I don't use proxy bids all the time.

If the record ends in the morning, I try to wake up but it never happens :hatsoff2: For example: Ace Spectrum 0.99 dls, a lot of 100 45s with some interesting stuff, 11.00 dls.

Although the worst (recent) case was last week, when I was after a copy of myriam Makeba and Bongi's LP. I did a search en eBay and there were around four copies ranging from 15 to 40 or so bucks. I did a complete search and I found an un sold copy or 5 dollars or so. Being, as you, a very tight arsed bargain hunter, contacted the sellers to see if it was available.

It was, and he agreed to put it up again. He relisted it without a buy it now, but it was ok because there was no (apparent) interest in it. Come the last day and I bid something like ten bucks thinking I'm gonna be the only bidder. When I woke up and went into eBay, I was, of course, outbid by 50 cents. I was fooking pissed!!!!

To make things worst, there were no more copies on eBay, so I ended up creating a GEMM account and getting it for 35 dollars inc. shipping...

Ouch, that makes me feel better.

Social source share

Only to entertain myself for a few minutes.:

Being a tight arsed bargain hunter I'm always on the watch.

I've seen a couple of threads recently about 'Last 5 bought' and 'bargains'. Not that these are the most frustrating to me (if I was that bothered I'd bid more), these are just the last 5 I've missed on ebay by one late bid. There are some bargains out there;

Barbara English - Sittin in the Corner: AURORA, bid £52 went for £53. Great and clean, X felt tip on label.

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEDWX:IT

LaBrenda Ben - Just Be Yourself / I can't Help it: Gordy white promo. Bid $14 went for $14.50. Looks a good VG+

J. B. Troy - Live On: Musicor. This was interesting, seller lister as J. B. Hunt - Live On. Bid $83 went for $84. Only rated as Vg but looked ok.

Bunny Sigler - Will You Love Me Tomorrow / Comparatively Speaking: Decca Issue. Bid $31 went for $32. Sated as nea mint and looked near mint.

Nolan Porter - If I Could Only Be Sure - Probe (Peruvian Issue). Bid $42 went for $43, VG+ good Peru sleeve too, nice curiosity.

How many times do you sit and think if it wasn't one other buyer I'd have got right bargain there!!:hatsoff2:

I won that copy JB troy the other night laugh.gif

Sorry mate !!!

Social source share

Good on you Mossy, bit of a steal. Hope it's in good enough condition. Think it would've gone for more if the seller had listed the right artist!

Thanks Dean

Always helps if you list the right artists name !

I hope its ok - deffo worth a punt for that price IMO - I hardly ever see that come up for sale and an old fave of mine.

And your right about the bargains - There are plenty of great tunes out there for sensible money again.

at long last !!!!

I can buy more and more records - its brill !!!!

gimme more vinyl !!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert