Dolletts On Abc

boba

soul harmony singles lists the following record by the Dollettes that i've never seen:

ABC 10627 - Believe it or not / I'm a lonely girl

Manship guide 5 doesn't list it but strangely manship guide 2 lists it with a comment about it being poor sound quality. Does anybody have a copy of this? If so, any chance of a post in refosoul? is this record very rare or have I just been unlucky? thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

just to follow up, I found "believe it or not" in an Andy Rix mix in refosoul:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/more/soul-library/23711-various-andy-rix-session-5-sep-2000/

I'm confused because a) the sound quality sounds clear and b) it says that Dorothy Moore is lead and it's a version of the poppies. I thought Ella Thomas was lead of the group (it's definitely the same bay area group as on GD&L at least, E Thomas is credited on the ABC 45 I have). What's with the Dorothy Moore / Poppies thing? Thanks.

Social source share

one more follow up, Allmusic.com gives a detailed story about the poppies and dorothy moore being a high school group from Jackson, MS. It seems doubtful that she was in the ABC group who I think were from the bay area. Maybe she was just previously in a group called "the dolletts" and somebody assumed it was the same group as on ABC?

Social source share

Bob,

The record itself credits DOROTHY MOORE and The DOLETTES. So look under MOORE for the price listing and record info.

We have a STOCK copy of this at the moment and the side that counts for the Northern Soul collector " I'm A Lonely Girl" the sound quality is truly awful but it is completely Poppies in style. The inferior but also quite good b side "Believe It Or Not" plays perfectly

There is no apperant connection with Ella THomas and the DOLLETTS to me. The E. Thomas in the writer credits refers to C. Thomas , E. Thomas and B. McRee who wrote many Poppies recordings including at least 4 on their EPIC album. the writing team of C. Thomas , E. Thomas (with or without B. McRee) turns up on many Northern Soul recordings.

We are now starting to quote writer & producer credits on all our new website listings and these will be seachable in the new year whether they are in or out of stock" items for reference and cross-checking.

Hope this helps lift your confusion

John

Social source share

Hi John,

The C. Thomas you refer to in the credits is also the writer of both sides of Tommy & The Derby's on Swing.

Anyone got a sound file of I'm A Lonely Girl?

hi chalky i have but am out of the country at the moment.....

Kev S

if you remember a fair few yrs ago i asked you the question if any one knew if they were all bad recordings....... the one i have is not good...Think it may have been on saoul talk??

Social source share

Bob,

The record itself credits DOROTHY MOORE and The DOLETTES. So look under MOORE for the price listing and record info.

We have a STOCK copy of this at the moment and the side that counts for the Northern Soul collector " I'm A Lonely Girl" the sound quality is truly awful but it is completely Poppies in style. The inferior but also quite good b side "Believe It Or Not" plays perfectly

There is no apperant connection with Ella THomas and the DOLLETTS to me. The E. Thomas in the writer credits refers to C. Thomas , E. Thomas and B. McRee who wrote many Poppies recordings including at least 4 on their EPIC album. the writing team of C. Thomas , E. Thomas (with or without B. McRee) turns up on many Northern Soul recordings.

We are now starting to quote writer & producer credits on all our new website listings and these will be seachable in the new year whether they are in or out of stock" items for reference and cross-checking.

John

I asked Jeff Beckman and he also agreed with you, he sent me an extensive listing including another Tommy Tate and the Dolletts record on ABC and connected the group to Tommy and the Derbys and the Poppies also. Thanks a lot.

Social source share

I asked Jeff Beckman and he also agreed with you, he sent me an extensive listing including another Tommy Tate and the Dolletts record on ABC and connected the group to Tommy and the Derbys and the Poppies also. Thanks a lot.

only seen the one Tommy Tate and Dolletts on ABC. Presume its What's The Matter/Ordinarily?

Social source share

Bob,

John

I couldn't find this on your site, did it sell since you posted? Thanks.

Social source share

Here's a scan I did for a mate, of a review about this 45 some years back. I can't recall which mag it was from or even who did it! :yes: But no doubt someone will know!

But it gives a bit of info about the 45 and also mentions the quality of the recording on one of the sides as mentioned by John.

I also remember reading somewhere that Dorothy Moore stated she was not in the Dollettes! :rolleyes:

But I have to agree, it certainly sounds like her to my ears and along with the writer credits, it makes it hard to believe it's not her.

post-5094-088899200 1285532599_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Bob,

Ref: Dorothy Moore - Is in stock unprocessed so not on the site, so I've just added it to the Rarest Of The Rare section for you to see and hear.

We've sound-filed both sides for you so you can hear the flawed sound on the "important" side. I've never come across a copy that plays OK, it may exist but I've never had one.

John

Social source share

Bob,

Ref: Dorothy Moore - Is in stock unprocessed so not on the site, so I've just added it to the Rarest Of The Rare section for you to see and hear.

We've sound-filed both sides for you so you can hear the flawed sound on the "important" side. I've never come across a copy that plays OK, it may exist but I've never had one.

John

Social source share

Bob,

John

thanks a lot

Social source share

I have two Dollettes 45s on ABC ... the review above was written by me for Shades of Soul in the early 80s

Small Talk ( doesn't bother me) ( Edward Thomas, Bob Mcree, Cliff Thomas) & Free From The Chains Of Love (Thomas - Thomas) ABC 10625

and the aforementioned ... Believe It or Not / I'm A Lonely Girl

I've only seen issues and all have the same pressing fault

As mentioned there is the Gloria Edwards version

Andypost-13948-013629500 1285696531_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert