Un-Credited Sixties Black Male Group Photo

By gosh isn't it amazing what you find tucked away in boxes you didn't even know you had (coughs).....

Vaguely seem to recall purchasing this photo off Ebay well over 5 years ago.

Seller described it something along the lines "unknown sixties black vocal group photo" - (I mean come on wouldn't that description make you get excited or what?).

I assumed he'd stated unknown group because the photo was uncredited. And the description in his listing was very brief to say the least.

The photo had been up on Ebay for about 4-5 days with no bidders - reason being I guess was even though the photo was interesting nobody wanted to lash out some money on something untitled.

Anyway my curiosity made me contact the seller and ask if there was anything written on the back of the photo?

His reply literally made my mouth drop open....

For a bit of a laugh on this rainy sunday afternoon I thought I'd post up this photo and ask if anybody knows who the group is?

I do actually know who it is and I'll give out further clues as the day progresses. Intrigue and mystery a plenty right here on Soul Source.

onwards,

derek the man with a large binocular

Oh and if you do know for certain who the group are - keep schtum for a bit whilst I rack up the tension hahaha.........

post-1224-093411200 1284913787_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Derek - Me owld mate.. Rather than waiting for a clue can I ask if the gloves are significant?

Mick

Hey up Mick - hows it going? Long time no see.

You ask if the gloves are significant - my reply would be "only for the wearer, only for the wearer".

Clue number 1 in a series of 47:

The group only released one single*. The city they were based in begins with C and the state begins with O.

onwards,

derek

* I think?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

In respect of the white gloves , did they include magic tricks in their act ?

Malc

Either that Malc or they referee a lot of snooker matches.

Could possibly be a Black & White Minstrels tribute band :thumbsup:

blackwhim.jpg

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Either that Malc or they referee a lot of snooker matches.

Could possibly be a Black & White Minstrels tribute band :thumbsup:

blackwhim.jpg

As The B & W M were a tribute act , does this mean that the unknown group are a tribute tribute act ? :D

Never considered that they might be snooker referees Dave , as I tend to shy away from thinking about men polishing their balls , and placing them into required positions :lol:

Malc

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

As The B & W M were a tribute act , does this mean that the unknown group are a tribute tribute act ? :D

Never considered that they might be snooker referees Dave , as I tend to shy away from thinking about men polishing their balls , and placing them into required positions :lol:

Malc

I think about it all the time Malc, I play with my own balls though :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hey up Mick - hows it going? Long time no see.

You ask if the gloves are significant - my reply would be "only for the wearer, only for the wearer".

Clue number 1 in a series of 47:

The group only released one single*. The city they were based in begins with C and the state begins with O.

onwards,

derek

* I think?

Derek

The fact that they only released one record blows my theory about the white gloves out of the water - both The Unifics & The Manhattans wore them but they released loads.

Bummer.....

Mick

Social source share

Columbus, Ohio?

Yep

Their 45 turned up in huge quantity some years back

Yep sure did

Royal Esquires?

bang on the button! Good man Tony

In respect of the white gloves , did they include magic tricks in their act ? Malc

As daft as it sounds I never thought whether the gloves were significant or not untill I'd actually posted up the photo. Sort of wondered if Mick Howard in his first reply was hinting at this and I actually did wonder if anybody would suggest the name The Magicians. Good idea but then the clues wouldn't fit would they?

Thanks for the interest chaps. Will reply with a scan of the rear of the photo in a couple o' minutes.

Derek

And can we have less frivolous talk about men polishing their balls please when we solemn collectors are trying to have a serious adult conversation....... Consider yourself told off hahaha.

Social source share

Confession Time: "I, Derek Pearson have a short attention span and I get easily distracted".

The Proof: My honest intensions this afternoon were to (a) mow the lawn before it starts raining and (b) take the dog out for a long walk before it starts raining.

What have done this aft - spent the last hour or so pissballing about on the Internet making Google's Search Engine bleed hahaha

post-1224-065295600 1285425304_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert