A Poor Wayfaring Stranger - Cliff Gober On Calvary

Ian Dewhirst

I've just heard this on a Gospel CD and it struck me as being totally Northern with a great production and a great wailing lead vocal. I was surprised to see it was released as a single on a label called Calvary. Anyone got it or heard it and what's it worth?

Ian D :)

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've just heard this on a Gospel CD and it struck me as being totally Northern with a great production and a great wailing. I was surprised to see it was released as a single on a label called Calvary. Anyone got it or heard it and what's it worth?

Hi Ian,

got that 45, since the track was brought out on a compilation by the numero group it got some attention and the price went up, i'd say it goes for about 200-300£ and it's really hard to find, sadly the 45 isn't that good produced and sounds really thin over a sound system, but love that tune!!!

the label is really good looking, too......

cheers henning

Social source share

I've just heard this on a Gospel CD and it struck me as being totally Northern with a great production and a great wailing lead vocal. I was surprised to see it was released as a single on a label called Calvary. Anyone got it or heard it and what's it worth?

gotta be £3-400 i would have thought my mate bob cornock has got one great tune....

Social source share

since the track was brought out on a compilation by the numero group it got some attention and the price went up

Absolutely.....used to see this fairly regularly between $25 to $100. Fairly tricky to find a clean copy.....decent tune for sure, but never quite understood why anyone would rate it around 3-400 quid.

Social source share

Absolutely.....used to see this fairly regularly between $25 to $100. Fairly tricky to find a clean copy.....decent tune for sure, but never quite understood why anyone would rate it around 3-400 quid.

reason i quoted that was because the last one i saw went for £400

Social source share

Sometimes people like to quote records more expensive as they generally own them..... pretty obvious point i suppose... Paul Sadot i'm sure was the first person i heard playing this though i may be wrong abnout that, i have a vivid memory of dancin must be a few years maybe ago to this... I'm sure Paul can confirm this...oh TUNNNNEEE!!!

Edited by toodarnsoulful
Social source share

Yep the whole cd does it for me to be honest -heres a link for the discerning soul fan wanting to explore all the fuss about gospel [praise him lol]right off back to work before im struck down.

ps check out cliffs version of take your foot of the gas on you tube it was a cult hit in the us he is still alive and well and performing stateside as far as i know!!

https://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com/releases/?id=8975

BAZ A

Social source share

I used to play this regularly at our George Jackson! soul nights at Smersh. I think this was around 2004. It was also played when Garethx and I did a George Jackson! guest night for he late Jim Demetriou's Soulcast internet radio show. On the show it was covered up as Satin. Of course very few people were interested in it then. I found the 45 in a shop in South London. It cost me a fiver.

Edited by noss
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert