• Replies 31
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest alanbonthrone

Rock Candy -Alone with no love on blue Dontee.Was it re-issued/booted?

Martha & Vandellas.Gordy 7" Little LP,6 sample tracks from the Watchout LP.Is there a picture cover for this and is it legit?

Thanks in advance....Kev.

Re. M.Reeves. Does Come With A PIcture Sleeve. Same As The L.P

Social source share

Martha & Vandellas.Gordy 7" Little LP,6 sample tracks from the Watchout LP.Is there a picture cover for this and is it legit?

Rock Candy definitely booted on blue Dontee. Can't remember the matrix details (I know it has the title scratched in) but the print isn't as well defined as the orig. If nobody else can supply the info I'll dig it out.

Social source share

Rock Candy definitely booted on blue Dontee. Can't remember the matrix details (I know it has the title scratched in) but the print isn't as well defined as the orig. If nobody else can supply the info I'll dig it out.

Are you sure Pete? Can't believe they'd have bothered - it wasn't like it was ever a huge record......I've certainly never seen one.

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

hi kev. motown released 36 of theses mini l.p.`s according to my literature. they all have the same cover as the 12 long player they are taken from. beautifull little things BTW.

Social source share

And here's a mexican one by Stevie Wonder. It's the only one I have and I can't remember seeing any more.

Quick translation of the inside note:

"Stevie Wonder, the young blind singer who 'sees' beyond anyone else can; he, who says it all in his deep and beautiful songs, was nearly speechless hearing the standing ovation the hollywood Palladium gave to him when he was awarded with four Grammys. An unprecedented achievement!

In this Mini LP the reason of the Great Master's success can be understood; that musical, loving and, more than ever, universal Stevie Wonder can be heard in 6 unique songs just as those that earned him 4 Grammys"

Quite like it.

Suppose the album cover of Innervisions was too complicated for the Mexican audience, so they just put a random pic of The Great Master.

post-5496-084795700 1284515930_thumb.jpg

post-5496-020653200 1284515940_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Are you sure Pete? Can't believe they'd have bothered - it wasn't like it was ever a huge record......I've certainly never seen one.

Absoloutely positive - I listed one about 3 weeks ago on here as an original until I checked it out properly. There's loads written in the run off: 45 rpm, Dontee 101 A-2 (strange seeing it's 103?), then it has the title in handwriting, then a date 2/5/71, then another little stamp.

I'll admit, that does seem a lot of work for a bootlegger to go to so if anyone wants to give me £50 for it, they can have it :lol:

Social source share

All the shops around where I lived could get hold of these boots or re-issues and to sell them for £1.20, when you think a pint costed 22p and a packet of 10 fags 17.5p it was quiet a lot of money to spend on a record when a UK single sold for 35p. Some one got that mark up on the profit. :lol:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

On the A side it's got the letters TC with a downwards chevron under the T, then Donte 103A (not mentioned in book)

I have Dontee 103 A a triangle with an S that look bit like 2 triangles back to back then TC with a V or cheveron smile.gif

I had a blue years ago and the sound quality of the flutes has always been a bit strange.

rock candy - alone with no love -

Up dated with a nice large WAV file recording.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I have Dontee 103 A a triangle with an S that look bit like 2 triangles back to back then TC with a V or cheveron smile.gif

I had a blue years ago and the sound quality of the flutes has always been a bit strange.

That's cos RC were dropping Lucy at the time:lol:

Social source share

Would that work Rod?.Three tracks per side on a 7".

My surname is Shard not Hawking so I've no idea how they worked. Im going for pixies or very small elves but no doubt there's a more prosaic explanation.

Here's a link mentioning Supremes US eps

https://www.diana-web.com/discography/textusa.html

Should have mentioned the jukebox strips that are often inside these eps.

ROD

Social source share

Guest alanbonthrone

They were for jukebox use, they were like special scaled down jukeboxes that only played 33rpm mini albums

Jukebox Title Strips And Thumbnail Black And White Pictures Of The Sleeve Were Included Inside Main Sleeve.

Social source share

Well I just looked in JM's book and he describes the counterfeit in almost identical words to that of mine above!

Having owned both the original and bootleg over the years, I can tell you three ways of identifying a boot from an original.

- The boot label is dull, matt and rough to the touch (though the print is quite distinct), as opposed to the shiny-smooth original.

- The boot vinyl is quite flexi and has a 'flat' edge. The original has a 'square' edge (if you get my drift).

- To really be an anorak, the run-in groove of the boot has a very faint noise like blowing wind. This noise dies out 2 seconds before the start of each side. This is also the case on the "Angel Baby" boots by Darrell Banks (lookalike Atco demo), so I imagine they were done by the same plant at the same time.

The matrices on the boot and original are totally identical; however, the original matrix is quite pronounced and distinct, and the boot's matrix is quite faint (written on rather than scratched in).

Social source share

Having owned both the original and bootleg over the years, I can tell you three ways of identifying a boot from an original.

- The boot label is dull, matt and rough to the touch (though the print is quite distinct), as opposed to the shiny-smooth original.

- The boot vinyl is quite flexi and has a 'flat' edge. The original has a 'square' edge (if you get my drift).

- To really be an anorak, the run-in groove of the boot has a very faint noise like blowing wind. This noise dies out 2 seconds before the start of each side. This is also the case on the "Angel Baby" boots by Darrell Banks (lookalike Atco demo), so I imagine they were done by the same plant at the same time.

The matrices on the boot and original are totally identical; however, the original matrix is quite pronounced and distinct, and the boot's matrix is quite faint (written on rather than scratched in).

This is getting worse.

I'd say this one was matt finish but it's not rough.

It definitely has no faint noise before it starts.

It definitely is not on flexible vinyl and has a square edge.

Part of the matrix is easy to read, the other part isn't!

Social source share

This is getting worse.

I'd say this one was matt finish but it's not rough.

It definitely has no faint noise before it starts.

It definitely is not on flexible vinyl and has a square edge.

Part of the matrix is easy to read, the other part isn't!

And to add to the dillemma, I've seen both water-damaged and really bad presses of the original with smudged typesets too! Again, I would have to ask what was the point in booting it? It's a breathtakingly brilliant record with one of the greatest arrangements I've ever heard but it was only ever a Mecca cult item which never really translated past that.......

Ian D :)

Social source share

OK so the question is, why is it in Johns book if it hasn't been booted?

Tim Brown says the original has the title scratched into the run off grooves, but John says that THAT one is the boot, unless it's a typo.

I'm convinced that mine is an original now.

It's still £50 if anyone wants it.

Social source share

Tim Brown says the original has the title scratched into the run off grooves, but John says that THAT one is the boot, unless it's a typo.

Fifty quid's a snap for such a great record!

Is the vocalist white though? I know nothing about the U.S. Rock Candy but Joe Tate is a brilliant arranger.......

Ian D :)

Social source share

P'm d you Pete.

Nick

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just got one from the USA......Pale blue Dontee 103-B scratched in the run out very neatly 45rpm then Dontee 101-A then "ALONE WITH NO LOVE" then 2/18/71 and a squiggle??.Other side TC with a V underneath the T and Dontee 103-A.Styrene with a moulded label (not the usual bubbling type) matt not shiny.Is the jury still out?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert