Dancer's Vs Anorak's

Guest Northern PhanTom

Guest Northern PhanTom

Now entering my 37th year on what one would now call "The Soul Scene" I sometimes think back to at what point do soulies become either Dancer's or Anorak's.

Up until 1980 I was a fervent collector of vinyl at which point I sold up to Rob Smith on the proviso of getting wed and a down payment on a 1920's semi, which would of probably meant like so many of that era drifting away from the scene and being placed in suspended animation until the baggy trouser brigade were back on the throne.

But whether it be luck or misfortune my intended to be, changed her mind so rather than being placed in Northern Hibernation for 25 years, I lived through the ups and downs of the scene. The major downside was that I had already sold my beloved vinyl.

It was at this point that I refuted any chance of trying to reassemble my collection of seven years and became a dancer, not saying I'm much cop at it, but that was the road I took, so ever since then I would rather spend 8 out of 10 hours at a nighter on the dance floor than 8 out of 10 hours with my face in someones elses box looking at serial numbers and wishing I had enough dosh to buy it.

Does that make me a bad soulie that I would rather dance to the music than collect it, perhaps yes and perhaps no the only certainty is that neither are on the same plane as the artists that put pen to paper and lyric to music.

Be interesting to hear what influences dictated other's directions of being a Dancer or an Anorak. My suspicions are that percentages on this site are more Anoraks than Dancer's or perhaps DanRaks a combination of the two. Sure some will prove me wrong.

Tom

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Northern PhanTom

both!

i find it difficult not to pass a table of boxes without having a peep, does not mean to say I will be buying, but nice to know what the prices are

P:)

Trouble is does a peep turn into a minute then into an hour then before you know it, the hoods up on the anorak :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tom

I think you'll recall I had a fairly decent collection myself back in the day (fairly sure I spun some tuen at some gigs round Nottingham) - no super rare stuff but a good solid lot of tunes many of which weren't 'common' in those days, but I'm sure you'll remember that I loved to shake a leg too.

Basically, it was quite difficult to balance the two but my method was to hit the dealers at the beginning of the night for a couple of hours and then the dancefloor & then back to the records mid-way through the night just in case anything new had turned up - there were of course a few times when verballing took over completely depending on what the medicine was like!

I sold my collection some 13 years ago or so & from then I never had a problem although for a little while I got 'withdrawal' pains every time I saw a box of records.

The problem now is that I started buying again a year or two ago but unfortunately I just can't afford it despite a lot of folk insisting that there are 'cheap' records to have out there. I'm seriously considering giving up again & going back to dancing but even that is now a struggle at 50......

What's a true lover of danceable, collectable Soul music to do?

Mick

Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

As iam a young gun laugh.gif i started buying vinyl late 70,s right through till mid 80,s mostly funk though . stopped buying when we discovered warehouse raves mid to late 80,s carried on right through to mid 90,s dancing my arse off, stopped again started a business made a success out of that. Then got the bug again for dancing and my real passion of Northern soul, i understand the collecting thing i collect cars currently 30+no.gif sometimes i think i would be better off selling them and having a large wooden box full of vinyl but hey ho i leave it to the big boys to do that i would much rather be out on the floor.

John you no me quite well do i sit down much ???????????laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

Tom

I think you'll recall I had a fairly decent collection myself back in the day (fairly sure I spun some tuen at some gigs round Nottingham) - no super rare stuff but a good solid lot of tunes many of which weren't 'common' in those days, but I'm sure you'll remember that I loved to shake a leg too.

Basically, it was quite difficult to balance the two but my method was to hit the dealers at the beginning of the night for a couple of hours and then the dancefloor & then back to the records mid-way through the night just in case anything new had turned up - there were of course a few times when verballing took over completely depending on what the medicine was like!

I sold my collection some 13 years ago or so & from then I never had a problem although for a little while I got 'withdrawal' pains every time I saw a box of records.

The problem now is that I started buying again a year or two ago but unfortunately I just can't afford it despite a lot of folk insisting that there are 'cheap' records to have out there. I'm seriously considering giving up again & going back to dancing but even that is now a struggle at 50......

What's a true lover of danceable, collectable Soul music to do?

Mick

Mick in my eyes you will always be dancer and a bloody good one at that, not necessarily all the floor work but some silky smooth moves m8. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

As iam a young gun laugh.gif i started buying vinyl late 70,s right through till mid 80,s mostly funk though . stopped buying when we discovered warehouse raves mid to late 80,s carried on right through to mid 90,s dancing my arse off, stopped again started a business made a success out of that. Then got the bug again for dancing and my real passion of Northern soul, i understand the collecting thing i collect cars currently 30+no.gif sometimes i think i would be better off selling them and having a large wooden box full of vinyl but hey ho i leave it to the big boys to do that i would much rather be out on the floor.

John you no me quite well do i sit down much ???????????laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Lee you're the only bloke I know that dances more than me :lol:

KTF

Tom :thumbsup:

Social source share

both!

i find it difficult not to pass a table of boxes without having a peep, does not mean to say I will be buying, but nice to know what the prices are

I will second that Pauline .

If the mood takes me when I hear a tune , I will grace the floor for a little discovating .

In respect of browsining through records in a box , boxes , carrier bag , junk / charity shops ....... old habits die very hard , and I cannot resist doing so :thumbsup:

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

If the mood takes me when I hear a tune , I will grace the floor for a little discovating .

In respect of browsining through records in a box , boxes , carrier bag , junk / charity shops ....... old habits die very hard , and I cannot resist doing so :excl:

Malc

About time you got back behind the decks Malc and let us mere mortals enjoy whats in your box! :thumbsup:

Tom :lol:

Social source share

Guest Shutdown66

I think a mixture of the two is pretty healthy...

having a great love for the music on the one hand but also getting on the dance floor and have some fun on the other.

I think Curtis Mayfield sang it best "GET DOWN"

Social source share

Guest shaunthesheep

I would class myself as a Dancing Anorak...... :excl::thumbsup:

You've got an anorak for every day of the week:lol: :lol: :lol:

See you soon Kenny, i've done you a c.d.:lol:

Taf.

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

I think a mixture of the two is pretty healthy...

having a great love for the music on the one hand but also getting on the dance floor and have some fun on the other.

I think Curtis Mayfield sang it best "GET DOWN"

When I used to collect I got a real buzz when I had a new addition to the two boxes I owned, to see the quantity of records slowly increase over the years. Also the smell of vinyl and new covers back then seemed more intense as they had not done the rounds like today, lets face it, it was thirty years ago and they were still relatively new. :lol:

Downside of hitting the boards for thirty years is wear and tear on the joints but you only live once so live for the moment. :lol:

Regards :thumbsup:

Tom :excl:

Social source share

Deffo anorak.

Would have loved to been a dancer too...but I have a blockage just below the waist...music enters ears..sets soul on fire and enters heart..slowly trickles down both arms, but for some strange reason...it is blocked before reaching legs and feet :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

Deffo anorak.

Would have loved to been a dancer too...but I have a blockage just below the waist...music enters ears..sets soul on fire and enters heart..slowly trickles down both arms, but for some strange reason...it is blocked before reaching legs and feet :thumbsup:

Heavenly Blocked Then :lol:

Social source share

Deffo anorak.

find this really hard to believe with the box youve got ,they tend to take my head over totally leaving my body open to any reflex action that occurs.The platter acts as remote control on me moving limbs and body parts any which way but loose .I do believe it can fall into the class know as dancin THANK YOU xx:thumbup:

Social source share

I dont care if someones a dancer or Anorak so long as there not up there own arse. Personally I collect records & dance at do's but I aint no expert just a soul music fan. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Old Soul

I dont care if someones a dancer or Anorak so long as there not up there own arse. Personally I collect records & dance at do's but I aint no expert just a soul music fan. :lol:

Spot on "just a soul music fan" hits the mark says it all...KTF:)

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Great Question ! Last time I bought a record at a soul night it was when the record bar used to be on the stage at the hundred club ! Definately a dancer.

Social source share

In respect of browsining through records in a box , boxes , carrier bag , junk / charity shops ....... old habits die very hard , and I cannot resist doing so :D

Malc

I like that quote Malc! My discovating amounts to me thinking I am gliding around the room, when in reality I am not moving far at all!!:lol: And yes, cannot pass a junk shop even around these parts when I know I will not find much, but still come home with some battered 10p duplicate!

Social source share

Guest xraysoulstar

That sums it up for me.

I know what I like and I'll buy (and play) what I like regardless of rarity. The only problem I have is if I'm playing what I like, I'm not getting the chance to dance to it!

:D

Social source share

Guest Northern PhanTom

Always a dancer never an anorakhatsoff2.gif, 56 and still love to danceyes.gif, but glad you anorak's are out there to give us the great music we love....KTFthumbsup.gif

Well put :lol:

Social source share

Mark you told me you where saving that anorak for me!

Dave.

A dancer from day 1...... Never been a place on the scene like the dancefloor..... Its the magical place.....

Allways collected a few bits with more in the last 10 years..... Love my vinyl but don't know all the info required to get a sniff of an Anorak, don't care that much really...

You feel that more members are anoraks???? not at all sure about that... The anoraks just have the biggest gobs on here....

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

both, dance if i want to dance to some records, but also enjoy collecting soul even if it's a £5 record. who says we all have to have rare records

Social source share

if being an anorak means its about expensive and rare records then what about trains aint they all the same price or do train spotters not dance at all

why the fook has rare or expensive or cheap been bought into this thread, you either buy records or you dont and you either dance or you dont :yes:

me i do both and i will dance to cheap and expensive records and dance in a cheap and expensive anorak if i want to :thumbsup:

Social source share

Now entering my 37th year on what one would now call "The Soul Scene" I sometimes think back to at what point do soulies become either Dancer's or Anorak's.

Up until 1980 I was a fervent collector of vinyl at which point I sold up to Rob Smith on the proviso of getting wed and a down payment on a 1920's semi, which would of probably meant like so many of that era drifting away from the scene and being placed in suspended animation until the baggy trouser brigade were back on the throne.

But whether it be luck or misfortune my intended to be, changed her mind so rather than being placed in Northern Hibernation for 25 years, I lived through the ups and downs of the scene. The major downside was that I had already sold my beloved vinyl.

It was at this point that I refuted any chance of trying to reassemble my collection of seven years and became a dancer, not saying I'm much cop at it, but that was the road I took, so ever since then I would rather spend 8 out of 10 hours at a nighter on the dance floor than 8 out of 10 hours with my face in someones elses box looking at serial numbers and wishing I had enough dosh to buy it.

Does that make me a bad soulie that I would rather dance to the music than collect it, perhaps yes and perhaps no the only certainty is that neither are on the same plane as the artists that put pen to paper and lyric to music.

Be interesting to hear what influences dictated other's directions of being a Dancer or an Anorak. My suspicions are that percentages on this site are more Anoraks than Dancer's or perhaps DanRaks a combination of the two. Sure some will prove me wrong.

Tom

I'm just a record collector.

I don't go out on "the scene" any more, but I still collect records with a passion.

I see it as my civic duty to keep the local postmen in work.

When on the rare occasion I do find myself at an all nighter, I turn into a 20 year old again

I get absolutely twisted and dance till the sun comes up.

And end up really unwell and regretting it .

25 years of abuse and silliness caught up with me in the end.

I can't do all nighters any more without gear and I can't do them with gear either if you know what I mean.

But records keep coming through my letterbox and I get more enjoyment these days than ever collecting .

Just for myself and by myself.

So in the end I guess I turned into an anorak .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert