Jimmy Delphs: "do You Know What I Mean"

Mal C

Just won this on ebay and wondered whether anybody could tell me anything about it? is it deffo Jimmy? does not sound near to the released 45 to my ears.. says cut by Ron Murphy, and it credits him, I checked out the address which is now by the looks of it a car Radio / Audio shop, cant find anything on SOUND LAB DETROIT either, any body cast any light on this item? link below also so you can see and hear it.

Mal.C. thumbup1.gif

SUPER RARE 70'S NORTHERN SOUL ACETATE

JIMMY DELPHS: "DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN" VOCAL REFERENCE ACETATE FOR D.S.S.I RECORDS

+CUT BY RON MURPHY

+DATED JUNE 16, 1976

+SINGLE SIDED

OTHER INFORMATION- SOUND LAB DETROIT, MI

LISTEN TO SOUND CLIPS FROM THE ACTUAL RECORD BEING AUCTIONED:

https://cgi.ebay.com/...IT#ht_500wt_928

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Mal,

Doesn't sound anything like Jimmy to my ears, so maybe it really is Ron Murphy?

I guess it could be the same guy who's name crops up on Bobby Wells 45s on Romur, or was he from Philly?

I could never decide what the actual label was called for the Jimmie Delphs single - DSSI at the top of a triangle and what looks like MANO below it.

Nice find all the same :yes:

post-5094-034809500 1284076255_thumb.jpg

And here's yours by Ron Murphy

post-5094-040744700 1284076325_thumb.jpg

You can add a sound file when you get chance - if you want :)

Social source share

Mal,

Doesn't sound anything like Jimmy to my ears, so maybe it really is Ron Murphy?

I guess it could be the same guy who's name crops up on Bobby Wells 45s on Romur, or was he from Philly?

I could never decide what the actual label was called for the Jimmie Delphs single - DSSI at the top of a triangle and what looks like MANO below it.

Nice find all the same :yes:

post-5094-034809500 1284076255_thumb.jpg

And here's yours by Ron Murphy

post-5094-040744700 1284076325_thumb.jpg

You can add a sound file when you get chance - if you want :)

It's Ron Murphy from NSC/Sound Enterprises in Detroit, John.

He had his own Vinyl & Cutting workshop and Mastered loads of Motowns biggest tunes!

I put a small bid on this Acetate - in retrospect, I should have bid more.

I haven't compared the tracks yet - but I doubt its Ron on vocals.

He was a Master Cutting Technician - not a recording artist.

Sean

Social source share

Nice one Sean :thumbsup:

Not seen that one before, yes I agree, this Ron Murphy wouldn't be the singer on the cut we're talking about, I couldn't imagine him in front of a mike singing!

But I have compared both recordings and I don't think it's Jimmie Delphs singing it either :boxing:

No doubt it's someone else, known or unknown, doing the track to be used to promote the song to other artists or producers.

It would be interesting to find out who it really is though, but I don't think it's as good as the released 45 that Jimmie did no.gif

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest gitarzrus

I used to play in Jimmy's backup band. I can absolutely state unequivocally that "Do You Know What I Mean" is none other than the great Jimmy Delphs's work. Jimmy himself gave me my copy of "Do You Know What I Mean." Paul Riser (of Motown fame -- see "Standing in the Shadows of Motown") was involved in doing the fabulous arrangement which is classic Detroit soul.

Social source share

On 3/19/2012 at 22:31, gitarzrus said:

Here is a great, rare, unreleased Jimmy Delphs tune recorded for Ollie McLaughlin -- "Our Last Goodbye." As I said, I used to play in Jimmy's backup band. Enjoy all you fans of rare Northern Soul!

You should drop into the 'Member's Shouts and Intro's' forum and do exactly that - introduce yourself

I'm sure people here would love to know more about you and to hear some of your experiences of being a musician working with the likes of Jimmy Delphs - that's if you wanted to share! :yes::thumbup:

One thing you cannot share: mp3s. And I'm sure a moderator will come along shortly and remove the file you've added. No matter, Soundcloud is one means of sharing files here: https://soundcloud.com

Best wishes,

Russell

Social source share

Guest gitarzrus

By the way, true spelling of his name is "Jimmie" (not "Jimmy"). This record is the only one where his name was spelled correctly. Jimmie is currently living in Toledo, Ohio and directing a church choir.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I was just listening to Jimmy Delph's 'Do you know what I mean' and it really reminded me of the awesome 'What do you do on a Sunday Afternoon' by the iceman himself !

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert