Car Boot Finds And Bargains

Guest Indalosoulclub

You know how (if you watch Antiques Roadshow!!!!) someone turns up with an item they found at a Car Boot Sale or charity shop for 50p that is worth so much more, well I thought perhaps you lovely collectors would tell me your stories of bargains gained over the years.

First example and the reason for this thread is from Saturday last week at Pleasley (Near Mansfield) at 9.00 a.m. A prestine copy of Beginning of the End LP Funky Nassau on British Atlantic for £4.....................got to be woth a few quid and nice to find.

Go on tell us a story

Jonathan

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Here's yesterday's thread on the same topic...

Done fairly well in the last couple of years, but then I'm out in a field looking, most Sundays at half-six in the morning.

Social source share

Early 9Ts @ Barlborough, halfway tween Worksop n Chesterfield.

Feeling faint, blood pressure up, there they are..................

A dozen Stateside singles of Motown recordings PLUS 4 UK Coral releases - Who Who (Song) yes.gif

They were hidden away in amongst a load of late 5Ts/early 6Ts rock n roll singles - obviously I was tempted

with the Cliff singles on green Columbia :unsure::)

Social source share

Early 9Ts @ Barlborough, halfway tween Worksop n Chesterfield.

Feeling faint, blood pressure up, there they are..................

A dozen Stateside singles of Motown recordings PLUS 4 UK Coral releases - Who Who (Song) yes.gif

They were hidden away in amongst a load of late 5Ts/early 6Ts rock n roll singles - obviously I was tempted

with the Cliff singles on green Columbia :unsure::)

The black issues of Cliff are rarer biggrin.gif

Social source share

You know how (if you watch Antiques Roadshow!!!!) someone turns up with an item they found at a Car Boot Sale or charity shop for 50p that is worth so much more, well I thought perhaps you lovely collectors would tell me your stories of bargains gained over the years.

First example and the reason for this thread is from Saturday last week at Pleasley (Near Mansfield) at 9.00 a.m. A prestine copy of Beginning of the End LP Funky Nassau on British Atlantic for £4.....................got to be woth a few quid and nice to find.

Go on tell us a story

Jonathan

a copy of the detours - pieces of you - cbs issue from cobb records in wales for a fiver thumbsup.gif

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Go on tell us a story

Jonathan

Although it would be a great tale, sadly in my opinion digging up nice 60s pieces in the uk has long gone.

The 80s might have been good for the odd 45

indeed I got many uk 45s from Benos in croydon in the 80s

Alexanda patton - jackie edwards - big dee irwin on stateside - the untamed - chords 5 - were all had on a saturday afternoon

we were the last of the diggers

afternoons before the internet, and mobile phones

days when you used to look through boxes of records if you were there early and the owner used to like you

i get sentimental when i think of record shops

are there any left

Edited by mossy
Social source share

The black issues of Cliff are rarer biggrin.gif

The rare Cliff ones are Throw Down A Line (his acid and LSD phase) and the Shadows funk LP with the biker on the front .The singles boogitoo and scotch on thge socks dont turn up at boot fairs too often.....

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Although it would be a great tale, sadly in my opinion digging up nice 60s pieces in the uk has long gone.

Alexanda patton - jackie edwards - big dee irwin on stateside - the untamed - chords 5 - were all had on a saturday afternoon

but i fear - we were the last of our breed

these were the afternoons before the internet, and mobile phones

the days when you used to look through boxes of records if you were there early and the owner used to like you

days that will never come back

days that will always be in my mind

days when we used to just pay for our records with cash - not credit

days that were simple

and i miss them !

I cleared up at Beanos when they had their half price shutting down sale.Must have had 4 copies of Put It On-The Wailers plus Garnet Mimms demos and loads of other UK stuff.Not much US.The place was turned into a mini market which failed and I think it has shut down now.Theres another record shop round the corner called Memory Lane though.Best ever boot fair find was non soul related...a british demo of The Game-Its Shocking What They Call Me.Best soul find a demo of Major Lance-Aint No Soul Always managed to find the odd bits but never much soul....reggae lps.

Social source share

I cleared up at Beanos when they had their half price shutting down sale.Must have had 4 copies of Put It On-The Wailers plus Garnet Mimms demos and loads of other UK stuff.Not much US.The place was turned into a mini market which failed and I think it has shut down now.Theres another record shop round the corner called Memory Lane though.Best ever boot fair find was non soul related...a british demo of The Game-Its Shocking What They Call Me.Best soul find a demo of Major Lance-Aint No Soul Always managed to find the odd bits but never much soul....reggae lps.

i edited my post cause i thought it was to sentimental laugh.gif

but you beat me to it !!!

But I do get sentimental with record shops.

I really miss the Saturday afternoons, the excitement and getting back home with your brown paper bag.

it was part of my world the record shop

and I miss them !

Social source share

Best one for me, was from a market here in London less than a year ago.

My mate found a mint condition copy of Timi Yuro on blue Liberty, still in it's original paper sleeve, for £1. Yes, one effin pound!!! frusty2.gif

He very nearly asked if they'd take 50p. yes.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

wish i had found some good stuff but i can say that my dad did go to car boot and find Pointer Sisters - Send Him Back for £1 and a copy or Jimmy Ruffin way LP for same price and both quality soul

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Gave up on the car boots years ago. It was back-breaking stuff as most people just placed the boxes of records on the floor, meaning you were having to scarbble around on your hands and knees rummaging through mainly dross. Then you'd spot a Stateside or a TMG and your eyes would light up only to find that it was totally shot, probably unplayable and not even worth the 20p they were asking for it :thumbsup: .

Then you'd come across the dreaded toast racks with dozens of sleeveless records - all scratched to f*ck :yes: . Too much like hard work :D .

Social source share

Best vever find for me was at a junk shop here in Aberdeen. about 10 years ago

Id bought the odd record out of the place as I deal in Rare rock records as well.

Anyhow she has this box saying 25p each or £4 the box - I just looked at the first one and gave her the £4 - Yeah she said I thought you might take the box full!

Must have been about 50 or 60 records in it

First one was the Eden Street skiffle band 10 flexis with the cardboard cover that you inserted them into before putting on the deck - Book price in 2000 -£125 I sold to a dealer for £65

Next one in the box was the "Bread & beer band original 1967 Decca promo again valued at around £150 - Sold to an Elton John collector for £90

Next 3 - Beatles parlaphone demos in mint cond which I got £400 for from a dealer for them

The rest were all Pop demos from the 60s and not one of them was soul

I sold them through various means for about £250-£300

So for my £4 I got around £800

Social source share

I was at a Car boot in Plymouth in about 1990, and there was a box with a pile of singles in it. In there was a Marsha Brody boot for 10p that I had. I was just about to walk away when I spied a 50 box on the table. It was mainly pop chart stuff, accept for a mint april stevens pink MGM demo, marked up for £20. I put on the "Twenty Pounds for a record!" voice, and the seller told me that his daughter had seen it in a book for £40. "Forty Pounds for that!!!!". He asked me about it and I told him that it was my mums favourite when I was a kid. He then said I could have it for 3 or 4:D . Of course I gave him £3.:lol:

The following week at the same car boot there was a stall with a box full of Oriole singles. The only "decent" one was Sherry, Hugo Montenegro:angry2: . The seller told me that some nice man had had a load off him for 50p each about 10 minutes before.

In a second hand shop in Gosport I picked up a Patrice Holloway, Love & Desire, UK Issue for 25p in about VG+ condition. Also in Gosport I was looking over a blokes shoulder as he flicked through a box of singles, when my heart jumped at a yellow Chess Demo in a company sleeve of The Tiffanies, It's got To Be A Great Song. again Mint condition. On the downside, I remember my sister had a tape done for her with all the top sounds of the time at Wigan. One of the tracks I remembered the name of was Toody, By Angels One Five. I found 5 copies of it in a junk shop and bought them all. I was stuck with all of them until I just binned then. What an atrocious crock of shit that was!:yes:

I have found a few others, but not much to write home about. "Soul For Sale" John Schroeder on Piccadilly anyone?

Paul

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

The best find I had was at Moira boot and it was a first edition of "The Hobbit" with Tolkens hand written note on the inside of the dust jacket.It caused quite a stir in the local rag ect and it's sale totaly got me out the shit.ATB Simon Hunt.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

The best find I had was at Moira boot and it was a first edition of "The Hobbit" with Tolkens hand written note on the inside of the dust jacket.It caused quite a stir in the local rag ect and it's sale totaly got me out the shit.ATB Simon Hunt.

Well that was a thread killer :yes:

Just look for records mate, leave the books for the likes of me.

Yup nice one, would have made my year, don't know about getting out of the shit but it'd be a quick change of pants when I got home.

:)

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Well that was a thread killer :lol:

Just look for records mate, leave the books for the likes of me.

Yup nice one, would have made my year, don't know about getting out of the shit but it'd be a quick change of pants when I got home.

:ohmy:

Hi there well I don't just look for records and I must say I find trolling through reams and reams of Ken Dodds ect a bit agravating particulary with a hangover but I do find some great old books on religion and country thing's of which I'm deeply intrested in .For instance I'm a hedge layer for about three month's of the year and find odd book's on that (as well as old hedge slashing tools and bilhooks and the like ).I was looking for a book for my brother as I didn't want to part with mine as it was given to me by a Zen master , it was called "Beyond the fronters of the mind" by Bhagwan Shree Rashneesh (or OSOH ) I found one of them amongst a box of esertericals .ATB Simon.

Social source share

F¼+í…¸k me Simon! if you drink like you used to after the soul nights in that scruffy pub(upstairs) i´m surprised you get up at all ohmy.gif (miss the curries as well)

Steve

Sorry---back on topic when i first started coming over here(Germany) to work i found

Panic on German Bell

Colour my father-Winstons-German Pye

Ghost in my house-Rare Earth

Goodbye nothing to say-German pye!!:ohmy:

Ghost In My House by Rare Earth or R. Dean Taylor on the Rare Earth label? :lol:

New one on me either way.....

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

we were the last of the diggers

afternoons before the internet, and mobile phones

days when you used to look through boxes of records if you were there early and the owner used to like you

i get sentimental when i think of record shops

are there any left

So that was at least 3 of us hitting Beanos on a weekly basis! Loved the Surrey st shop with imports at 10p..........Trumains RCA, Stevens and Foster, etc etc. I would send in wants for UK 70s stuff

they took about 3 months to return them but always had some goodies, ie Larry Saunders, London issue @£1.50 or demo at £3, James Walsh demo @ £2.50.

I remember asking Ray for 70s soul and him saying no such thing exsisted, it was all disco after 31/12/69,,,,,,,,,,,,"can I look in the disco boxes please"

Happy days

BH

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert