Brenton Wood

I was sat in the hotel bar , and this came on . Now I recall this from my youth , my god i just realised it must have been one of my first soul roots?

I was only 11 years old ! it was backin 1968 . Now I was talking to someone about this and they reckoned that someone else did it after him .... anyone know who that my be ?

Cheers

Carms

Edited by Carms
Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I was sat in the hotel bar , and this came on . Now I recall this from my youth , my god i just realised it must have been one of my first soul roots?

I was only 11 years old ! it was backin 1968 . Now I was talking to someone about this and they reckoned that someone else did it after him .... anyone know who that my be ?

Cheers

Carms

Hi Carms, If You Put " Gimme Little Sign " Into Search On You Tube There Are A Few Different Versions Atb John :yes::lol:

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Cheers

Carms

Saw Brenton Wood sing this accapella in LA 2004 on Kev's Soul Trip 1....brilliant audience participation.

Social source share

and they reckoned that someone else did it after him .... anyone know who that my be ?

Cheers

Carms

Major Lance was a popular version, early 70's.

The Brenton Wood was certainly one of my first Soul records too!

Bloody love it.

A very underrated artist (IMO).

And "I Want Love" on Brent is one of the greatest records in the history of the Universe!

:hatsoff2:

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

And "I Want Love" on Brent is one of the greatest records in the history of the Universe!

Sean

True - and true!

Whenever I'm a bit down I always sling Brenton on the CD and have a sing to "Great Big Bundle Of Love", "Can You Dig It", "Fools", "Sign", "Oogum Boogum", "Baby You Got It", "Two Time Loser", "I Like The Way You Love Me", "Me And You" and my favourite of all, "Catch You On The Rebound". In fact, I'm just on my way upstairs now to grab the CD for the drive to work...

I know that Brenton only really had two tunes, a slow one and a midtempo one, but what great records he made out of them!!!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Wow I need to listen to some of his other stuff Is the "Baby you got" it track another version of Clarance Murrey's ? I would also love to hear the Major Lance version of gimmie a kind of sign.

Thanks for all the info

No, Carms - different song. Was BW's follow up to "Sign", and it has my favourite "Catch You On The Rebound" on the flip, so double bubble there!

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

"baby you got it" was the tune that got me into Brenton..heard it on a tape at a bar and made a mad dash to the record shop the next day and lucky day! There was a copy.. I also put Great Big Bundle up there, what a nice record.. He has a tune called "some got it, some dont" and you can find the instrumental backing track on a Senor Soul 45. -jacob

Social source share

Major Lance was a popular version, early 70's.

The Brenton Wood was certainly one of my first Soul records too!

Bloody love it.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Hi Sean You must have been a whippersnapper laugh.gif when I went to See Brenton Wood at the Sherwood Rooms Nottingham in the late 6t's, can't remember much about it except when he sang "Gimme A Little Sign" he brought the house down.

Barry

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"baby you got it" was the tune that got me into Brenton..heard it on a tape at a bar and made a mad dash to the record shop the next day and lucky day! There was a copy.. I also put Great Big Bundle up there, what a nice record.. He has a tune called "some got it, some dont" and you can find the instrumental backing track on a Senor Soul 45. -jacob

His version of "Psychotic Reaction" is interesting (although it's a long way from being his best record...)

It uses the same backing track, augmented by an organ overdub, as the Count Five's version! Now if that's not garage soul then I don't know what is...

It's on either the "Oogum Boogum" or "Gimme Little Sign" album - or if you're an elitist bas**rd like me, an Italian 45 ("Reazione Psicopatico")

Social source share

Molly Malone for me, came out with two different B-sides or A Across The Bridge and I Want Love both on Brent. yes.gif

yes.gif Probably my favorite too...I was a bit p'd as mine was the one with 'I Want Love' on the B side & I really wanted 'Across The Bridge'...but I much prefer 'I Want Love' now & 'Across the bridge' sounds a bit pop'y to my ears now.

My other favorite is Two Time Loser...really underated tune I reckon :thumbsup: the pronounced acoustic guitar is probably an aquired taste for some in a soul record...but I love it yes.gif

Social source share

It's on either the "Oogum Boogum" or "Gimme Little Sign" album - or if you're an elitist bas**rd like me, an Italian 45 ("Reazione Psicopatico")

Personally, I prefer to play said track from my Japanese Liberty LP...on red vinyl...whilst following the lyrics on the song sheet included...does that qualify for an elitist bas**rd status?!

:boxing:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Personally, I prefer to play said track from my Japanese Liberty LP...on red vinyl...whilst following the lyrics on the song sheet included...does that qualify for an elitist bas**rd status?!

:thumbup:

Not unless you can also provide a Japanese translation of the title, Mr. F....:boxing:

Social source share

Hi Sean You must have been a whippersnapper :sleep3: when I went to See Brenton Wood at the Sherwood Rooms Nottingham in the late 6t's, can't remember much about it except when he sang "Gimme A Little Sign" he brought the house down.

Barry

Ahaha, yep I'm a few years younger than you Barry...

...I just look a lot older! :D

It was one of those records that seemed to be very popular everywhere at the time.

Along with things like Sam Cooke "Another Saturday Night" Dobie Gray "The In Crowd" they were in amongst the first Soul records I ever heard, mainly through my Big Sis... who's nearly as old as you mate! :D but back then, you'd hear that stuff, even on the Radio, all the time.

Remember the days when 'current' and 'classic' Soul music got played on mainstream radio?

Where did that all go? :D

Looking forward to seeing you at Stafford next week Barry.

Think it'll be a cracker!

:sweatingbullets:

Sean

Social source share

Alfred Smith is truly a remarkable local talent. I say local because he has spent most of rhe last 30 years working the East LA scene where he had several hits.

Incidentally he got the stage name from his manager who lived in the LA suburb Brentwood.

As part of SoultripUSA in 2004 he became a friend to most of us on the trip. He was clearly not going to perform for us due to nerves. Old KR had to work his 'oogum boogum' on him!

Social source share

Ahaha, yep I'm a few years younger than you Barry...

...I just look a lot older! :ohmy:

It was one of those records that seemed to be very popular everywhere at the time.

Along with things like Sam Cooke "Another Saturday Night" Dobie Gray "The In Crowd" they were in amongst the first Soul records I ever heard, mainly through my Big Sis... who's nearly as old as you mate! :D but back then, you'd hear that stuff, even on the Radio, all the time.

Remember the days when 'current' and 'classic' Soul music got played on mainstream radio?

Where did that all go? :g:

Looking forward to seeing you at Stafford next week Barry.

Think it'll be a cracker!

Sean

----

How could I forget another Saturday night was sung by Sam Cooke ?, I think the sun must have got to my brains last week !

I think what really shocked me last week was the realization of how early my soul roots sort of sprouted . I was only 11 when I heard Brenton , along with the Foundations which was a fave group of mine along the equals and Blue Mink like you say they were then regarded as "chart" soul, maybe we now term as "club" soul . I remember listening to them on radio Caroline and it gave me such a pleasure at the time. I always thought my earliest influences were Tamla but when I heard Brenton I realised he came before that for me.

What has shocked me a little now is just how much other stuff that he has produced which is new to me and I look forward to hearing it , so thanks guys for making this such an informative thread.

Social source share

Cheers

Carms

There's a version by Tony Simon, on UK Track - presumably a UK recording. Other side's a version of the Impressions' "Never too much love", both sides produced by Donnie Elbert

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert