Ebay: Misleading Item Description?

Benji

I sold a reissue copy of Bill Brandon "Streets got my lady" on Ebay last night. (see here)

Now the winner is reluctant to pay as he allegedly didn't see the "reissue" bit in the item description before bidding and collects original 45s only.

Quotes "Also the reissue status wasn't really upfront on the listing it was further into the text and I din't see it right away..Hence not noticing it until almost the end of the auction." and "That it was a reissue should really be higher up and part of the actual listing reather than down further in the text. That's really what caused me not to notice it."

I don't think my item description was misleading in any way or that you could miss the "reissue" part. I mean it's even before the condition description. I sold all sorts of reissues on Ebay in the past and always used this type of item description as an template. Never had any problems at all.

I'm sure I'll sort something out with the winner but was wondering what you think? Is it easy to overlook or easy to spot?

TIA :yes:

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I sold a reissue copy of Bill Brandon "Streets got my lady" on Ebay last night. (see here)

Now the winner is reluctant to pay as he allegedly didn't see the "reissue" bit in the item description before bidding and collects original 45s only.

Quotes "Also the reissue status wasn't really upfront on the listing it was further into the text and I din't see it right away..Hence not noticing it until almost the end of the auction." and "That it was a reissue should really be higher up and part of the actual listing reather than down further in the text. That's really what caused me not to notice it."

I don't think my item description was misleading in any way or that you could miss the "reissue" part. I mean it's even before the condition description. I sold all sorts of reissues on Ebay in the past and always used this type of item description as an template. Never had any problems at all.

I'm sure I'll sort something out with the winner but was wondering what you think? Is it easy to overlook or easy to spot?

Absoloutely nothing wrong with that advert, I do exactly the same - artist - title - label - condition - reissue.

Social source share

Yes I think that you have advertised the record correctly...............BUT....he/she ain't gonna let you hear the last of this and cause you all sorts of grief,if I were you I would put it down to experience,far easier than sticking to your guns.

Best thing is to start description of in block caps..THIS IS A RE-ISSUE...NOT AN ORIGINAL...SECOND ISSUE etc,then no comebacks,John.(ebay over 1000!)

Social source share

I saw the auction and in the picture is clearly a boot - so i checked the text and saw 're-issue' clearly.

A perfect case of Caveat Emptor.

I'd slap a non-paying bidder on him and stick to my guns (but then I'm a belligerent fcuker).

ps can you pm me his ID so I can add him to my 'numpty list' and block him from future sales.

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Thanks for backing me up. Offered 2nd chance to 2nd highest bidder, I'll see what happens...

And, no, I didn't edit the item description...

BTW, 104 views and 3 replies, that's 0,0288 replies/view, can a reply/view quota get any lower? :yes:

Playing devil's advocate a bit here. I was one of the earlier viewers that didn't reply Benji. My first thought was "yep, quite clear, clearer than a lot of descriptions seen on ebay", and I'm sticking to that, I do think you made it quite clear. I stopped myself from posting whilst I considered interpretation for a moment.

I think most of us want the best price we can get from ebay for a record, what we hope for is 2 or 3 bidders who really want it.

Most of us watch misrepresented boots/pressings go through for sometimes stupid prices, thinking "I wish I could get that for my old boot" (at least I do)

We want to be upfront so as not to try to con a buyer. But I think we use terms like re-issue a little too often, perhaps in the hope of some half-way route to fairness whilst still hoping for a good price.

I don't know if this is a re-issue or a boot, Pikey's dog mentioned he thought a boot. I know there are implications for advertising a "bootleg copy" on ebay but perhaps many of us (including me) hide behind the term re-issue or second issue which perhaps signifies more legitimacy than is the case. Sellers who do advertise a boot copy (as some do) don't get anywhere near the price of those where there is some degree of doubt.

As I say Benji, I do actually agree with you and think it's a fair enough description, and quite clearly stated. Just putting an alternatiew viewpoint..

Edited by Dean
Social source share

i agree with above post, you clearly stated in the discription that it was a reissue, i saw it straight away, ebay clearly states that winning bidders enter into a contract andif they dont pay then a nonpaying strike will be put against there name....good luck anyway:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Looking at the listing, appears the buyer is using the "reissue" as reason for not completing the sale, I would certainly get your fees back, you can cancel the sale by mutal consent, filing a non payer does run the risk of him leaving negative feedback

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Absoloutely nothing wrong with that advert, I do exactly the same - artist - title - label - condition - reissue.

Stick to your guns Benji,if the bidder cant read the info wich is in full view then its his mistatke,let the bloke pay up and if he dont then post feedback according.

Social source share

why did you not state more clearly in the header part that the record was not an original ?

and you could also have stated if it was a legitimate reissue,that way there would have been no confusion to anyone less knowing ?

how honest is a seller who does not reveal if the record is a legitimate reissue or a bootleg ?

I think you have been less than transparent.:hatsoff2:

Rob.

Social source share

why did you not state more clearly in the header part that the record was not an original ?

and you could also have stated if it was a legitimate reissue,that way there would have been no confusion to anyone less knowing ?

how honest is a seller who does not reveal if the record is a legitimate reissue or a bootleg ?

I think you have been less than transparent.:hatsoff2:

Rob.

Anyone buying vinyl would have read the whole description.It clearly states "Modern re-issue".

If someone has had a rush of blood and purchased this item thinking it was an original - there's an old saying...

- "You pay to learn".

Buyer - Put this one down to experience and take it on the chin,pay yer money and Move ON.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Stick to your guns Benji,if the bidder cant read the info wich is in full view then its his mistatke,let the bloke pay up and if he dont then post feedback according.

Unfortunately you can't leave negative or even neutral feedback as a seller.

Starting a non-paying bidder case might even bring more problems if ebay sides with the buyer (as it frequently does) particularly if the buyer says it is a boot.

If it was me selling then, even though it was clearly listed as a re-issue (and everyone knows what that means), I would sort out a mutual withdrawal of the sale and get my fees back and put it down the increasingly high proportion of loons that buy on ebay these days. No point getting into an argy bargy, move on.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Unfortunately you can't leave negative or even neutral feedback as a seller.

Starting a non-paying bidder case might even bring more problems if ebay sides with the buyer (as it frequently does) particularly if the buyer says it is a boot.

If it was me selling then, even though it was clearly listed as a re-issue (and everyone knows what that means), I would sort out a mutual withdrawal of the sale and get my fees back and put it down the increasingly high proportion of loons that buy on ebay these days. No point getting into an argy bargy, move on.

Cheers

Paul

Best way to go I think.

As for the assertion that "modern re-issue" is clear. Not to me it isn't, on first reading on this thread. I assumed it meant re-issue of a modern soul 45. It's only clicked now that it probably refers to "recent".

As there is some doubt as to it's legality I think the description is ambiguous. "Bootleg from ...." would have been perhaps more accurate.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Whilst I think the description of the item in question is quite clear and that the highest bidder should honour the transaction, I wish all sellers listing reissues would include such detail in the title, even if only an abbreviation such as RI or RE.

That way, anyone not interested in buying/bidding on reissues would not have to open up countless listings to have to find out they have wasted their time.

Regards

Grumpy Mace

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Whilst I think the description of the item in question is quite clear and that the highest bidder should honour the transaction, I wish all sellers listing reissues would include such detail in the title, even if only an abbreviation such as RI or RE.

That way, anyone not interested in buying/bidding on reissues would not have to open up countless listings to have to find out they have wasted their time.

Regards

Grumpy Mace

:hatsoff2:

I would, but a lot of the time there just isn't room to do that after you've listed artist, title and label.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

It's a bootleg copy so the buyer is within his rights to cancel. It's not worth arguing about as although most of the time Ebay don't care about such things if the buyer kicks off enough they will look deeper at the selling of banned items. Cancel the transaction...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert