Have I Bagged A Bargain

Hi again folks

I have just purchased this and to be honest I expected to pay a lot more than I did, putting my maximum bid at £40 and bagged it for £13.

Didn't really know what it was worth, but I am collecting US Motown/Tamla/Gordy/V.I.P/Soul demos at the moment, and i haven't seen one of these before.

The item is described as VG+ condition.

dalton.jpg

Thank you for any comments.

Steve

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thanks for that, can you tell me what I should be looking for when it comes please? Oh and what's the worth in both scenario's?

Thanks again.

If it's got a stamped in number and a proper Nashville matrix stamp, it's real, if it's got a scratched in number of any description, it's fake, still it's scarce now on that bootleg so you paid about the right price if it turns out to be the pressing

Social source share

Thanks for that, can you tell me what I should be looking for when it comes please? Oh and what's the worth in both scenario's?

Thanks again.

If it is a boot (and it was booted on that V.I.P. design) it will have a pretty low qual paper label moulded on the vinyl, but the real giveaway is is pete says, no stamped matrix and after the scratched in number 2632-1 the word "boot"...... nice of 'em to do that when they pressed it!

steve

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Just looked at manships Reissues book and it say's - Should have a Nashville or BJD matrix stamped in the runout groove . hope this helps. cheers Jim.

Social source share

Just looked at manships Reissues book and it say's - Should have a Nashville or BJD matrix stamped in the runout groove . hope this helps. cheers Jim.

A bit late to this thread. Just remembered to dig out mine to have a check. Good shout on the BJD stamp. If mine's genuine (it has stamped SK4M - 2632 - 1), the BJD stamp is quite deep and very fancy letter design, like in calligraphy.

Good call too Toad. The flip, Something's Bothering You, is well worth a mellow spin.

Social source share

I'll see when it comes and keep you updated.

Going by the picture alone, if I was a gambling man I'd put it ALL on being an original...the print quality and alignment is quite simply correct and superior to the bootleg. A good winning price for sure...though not an easy seller at the guide prices in my experience. The rarer variants seem to be the West Coast presses, especially with 'Take my hand' on the flip.

I have a picture of the Boys somewhere, though can't seem to locate it at present....damn...though after a quick poke on Google I've just spotted an Out Of The Past label bootleg of it which I haven't seen for a while!

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi again folks

I have just purchased this and to be honest I expected to pay a lot more than I did, putting my maximum bid at £40 and bagged it for £13.

Didn't really know what it was worth, but I am collecting US Motown/Tamla/Gordy/V.I.P/Soul demos at the moment, and i haven't seen one of these before.

The item is described as VG+ condition.

dalton.jpg

Thank you for any comments.

Steve

:D Hi All this is the BOOT LACE ooops leg "you have to watch out mates, the dark nights will soon be here":D DAVE KIL

post-13241-035504500 1284264777_thumb.jp

WHAT DO YOU THINK....WHAT AVE YOU DONE SONNY BOY? WAISYIN YOUR MONEY ON NORTHERN SOUL RECORDS....IT'SA MUGS GAME..IF YOU DON'T NO IT DON'T BY IT ...DtheDRUG©2009

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Just an update on the above purchase.

I got it in the post and as far as i can see from the comments above it is an original.

The dead wax has stamped - SK4M--2687-1 BJD (in stamped script writing.)

Close to that is scratched - AC-LX 155104 and AC-II148301

The bad news (and good news) is that it came with a rim crack. If it's clicked together

it's plays perfectly without clicking whatsoever. I complained immediately and opened a 'Item not as described' case on Ebay,

and the seller immediately refunded my payment in full and told me to keep the record.

So what are your thoughts?

Steve

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Was this label design booted as well,this is mine which i picked up for $35 not so long ago. This is stamped SK4M - - 26 2- 1 - A . Also has Nasville Matrix mark. Also has AC - IT-148301 (i think it reads) scratched in,very tiny. ps..i think me scanner needs a clean :lol:

post-5269-053446100 1284810151_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

Was this label design booted as well,this is mine which i picked up for $35 not so long ago. This is stamped SK4M - - 26 2- 1 - A . Also has Nasville Matrix mark. Also has AC - IT-148301 (i think it reads) scratched in,very tiny. ps..i think me scanner needs a clean :thumbsup:

If you look at the 'V.I.P.' logo, yours is different than mine and the others that are showing on here. yours is out of line? Also the are a few other differences, i.e. yours says 'DJ Promo' whereas the original ones say 'Promotional not for sale' and yours also has the matrix number at the bottom, the others don't. I'd be inclined to think that yours is a booty, Not sure, the experts will advise you shortly I'm sure. Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Was this label design booted as well,this is mine which i picked up for $35 not so long ago. This is stamped SK4M - - 26 2- 1 - A . Also has Nasville Matrix mark. Also has AC - IT-148301 (i think it reads) scratched in,very tiny. ps..i think me scanner needs a clean :thumbsup:

post-5269-053446100%201284810151.jpg

If you look at the 'V.I.P.' logo, yours is different than mine and the others that are showing on here. yours is out of line? Not sure, the experts will advise you shortly I'm sure.

Nothing wrong with the Staggered V.I.P. Logo, Simply a different Pressing Plant & not that easy to find.

Has all the STAMPED Matrix etc.

My copy has the Straight V.I.P. Logo.

VIP_25025a_DJ.gifVIP_25025b_DJ.gif

VIP_25043-A_DJaa-1.gifVIP_25043-A_DJab-1.gif

VIP_25043a_DJa.gifVIP_25043a_DJb.gif

Social source share

Nothing wrong with the Staggered V.I.P. Logo, Simply a different Pressing Plant & not that easy to find.

Has all the STAMPED Matrix etc.

My copy has the Straight V.I.P. Logo.

VIP_25025a_DJ.gifVIP_25025b_DJ.gif

VIP_25043-A_DJaa-1.gifVIP_25043-A_DJab-1.gif

VIP_25043a_DJa.gifVIP_25043a_DJb.gif

Down the years , I have had five " straight " VIP labels , and one of the " staggered " ones .

At first I assumed the staggered one to be iffy , but found - as you state Roger - it to be via a different pressing

plant , and not easy to come across .

Malc

Social source share

If you look at the 'V.I.P.' logo, yours is different than mine and the others that are showing on here. yours is out of line? Also the are a few other differences, i.e. yours says 'DJ Promo' whereas the original ones say 'Promotional not for sale' and yours also has the matrix number at the bottom, the others don't. I'd be inclined to think that yours is a booty, Not sure, the experts will advise you shortly I'm sure.

Thats deffo NOT a boot as pointed out,i wanted to know if it had been booted, :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert