Guest miff

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Booted on a bright green/White label!! original about £450/ £500 Credited as Larry Allen about £350/£400 Credited as L .Allen

Once upon a time maybe, not now, knock 100 off all of those prices.

I once had correspondence with the guy who either pressed or financed this record, can't remember if I posted the info up or not, but he said there were equal amounts pressed of L Allen and Larry Allen. Funny how the latter seems rarer.

Social source share

I once had correspondence with the guy who either pressed or financed this record, can't remember if I posted the info up or not, but he said there were equal amounts pressed of L Allen and Larry Allen. Funny how the latter seems rarer.

Hi Pete, It's always been that way though I have had my Larry Allen a few years now and it was always the one to have even back then!! Weird really as they are the same except for the name!! :lol:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

How much, hard to get, ever booted

Thanks miff

Check it out on Popsike; 11 L.Allens as opposed to 3 Larry Allens says something doesn't it? and unless you're desperate for money I wouldnt consider letting mine go for less than £450 then again I don't want to part with it!! :yes::hatsoff2:

Social source share

Unless its the recording the Larry Allen sound clips sound a bit shorter in Refo than the L Allen, I can't hear the "talk it over" repeated twice at the end in the high pitch voice?

Hear What You're Saying Tony ! I Have Just Played It And It's The Refo player On Here Cut A Bit Short! It's definitely on the Larry Allen As well :yes::thumbsup::hatsoff2: Atb John.

Social source share

I have a pic of Larry somewhere...a radio DJ vanity recording that was performed/recorded in one take. They had no instrumental break planned, so they just repeated the intro and carried on, I seem to recall him stating in an interview.

He also confirmed that the copies stating 'Larry' were the second press to meet the demand that was brewing (for the other side), but sadly it wasn't turned around in time and the disc didn't make it as a hit.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

I remember you saying something about that chap and all the copies being chucked in a car boot for disposal?

Social source share

What's the matrix stamp like on the Larry.

Hi Tony, On The 'A' Side It Has G & C-115-A then about 1/2 inch further along to the right the word PARADISE Written in the run out and on the "Cant We Talk It Over" 'B' Side reads G & C -115 B is this the same on the L. Allen ?

Social source share

Hi Tony, On The 'A' Side It Has G & C-115-A then about 1/2 inch further along to the right the word PARADISE Written in the run out and on the "Cant We Talk It Over" 'B' Side reads G & C -115 B is this the same on the L. Allen ?

Its about half an inch space on LA about an inch after the line on the run out meets the eternal inner circle then on the other side the stamp is bang on where the run out meets the eternal inner ring, if these are the same then I guess its the same stamper..

Out of interest the Somewhere side is credited to L.Allen and a band of angels :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Its about half an inch space on LA about an inch after the line on the run out meets the eternal inner circle then on the other side the stamp is bang on where the run out meets the eternal inner ring, if these are the same then I guess its the same stamper..

Out of interest the Somewhere side is credited to L.Allen and a band of angels :D

Hi Tony, The stamps sound about the same but nothing about A Band Of Angels on Larry Allen maybe the Larry Allen's were done by atheists :D :D :ohmy::hatsoff2:

Social source share

Bought mine in 1989...wouldn't part with...it's the iconic sound of Steve Whittle's spot for me!

My first copy cost me £17 back in the very early 80's...I was miffed for two reasons:

1. We had previously agreed a price of £12!

2. It sounded so empty when listening to it for the first time on home hi-fi rather than a club PA.

Marvellous track mind...my current copy will stick with me for many more years to come I'm sure.

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

My first copy cost me £17 back in the very early 80's...I was miffed for two reasons:

1. We had previously agreed a price of £12!

2. It sounded so empty when listening to it for the first time on home hi-fi rather than a club PA.

Marvellous track mind...my current copy will stick with me for many more years to come I'm sure.

:thumbsup:

Hi Dave, So how rare do think it is in either format Please?

Social source share

Hi Dave, So how rare do think it is in either format Please?

Not talking money...rarer stating 'Larry' for sure...one pops up for sale every 18 to 24 months, whilst the 'L' copies should take 6 months or less...IMO.

The article Pete mentioned had a figure in the thousands with regards to how many copies Larry said he sold/pressed up...though to sell into wholesaers can always lead to stock being returned and ultimately disposed of...leading to rarity...which is possibly the case for 'Larry', as he did state it was the second run after 'L'.

:boxing:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert