Northern V Scooter Scene

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

HAVING JUST GOT BACK FROM I O W SCOOTER WEEKEND ,IT OCCURED TO ME HOW WORLDS APART IT WAS TO THE NORTHERN SCENE ? THEY ARE THE ALMOST THE SAME PEOPLE IN FACT I MET LOTS OF PEOPLE WITH OUT SCOOTERS JUST DOWN FOR THE WEEKEND THAT I KNOW OFF THE NORTHERN SCENE ,YET FOR SOME REASON THEY SEEM A LOT MORE OPEN MINDED ,MAY BE ITS THE SEA AIR ? WHAT DO YOU THINK !

Social source share

• Replies 154
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I would guess it's because the Northern Soul scene is about Soul music, and the scooter scene is about scooters !

Personally I have no interest whatsoever in scooters, and would not even consider going to a Scooter rally. That's not meant as a criticism of those that do though, and I gather that the music on scooter rallies is much more varied than that at Soul nights and allnighters, for a start, it's not all Soul music at rallies is it ?

So in that respect they probably are more open minded, but I'm happy with what I do, so that's the end of the discussion really as far as I'm concerned.

Social source share

HAVING JUST GOT BACK FROM I O W SCOOTER WEEKEND ,IT OCCURED TO ME HOW WORLDS APART IT WAS TO THE NORTHERN SCENE ? THEY ARE THE ALMOST THE SAME PEOPLE IN FACT I MET LOTS OF PEOPLE WITH OUT SCOOTERS JUST DOWN FOR THE WEEKEND THAT I KNOW OFF THE NORTHERN SCENE ,YET FOR SOME REASON THEY SEEM A LOT MORE OPEN MINDED ,MAY BE ITS THE SEA AIR ? WHAT DO YOU THINK !

its the alcohol...lotsa ppl get lashed up over the island but you dont see many steaming drunk at a soul night/nighter

Social source share

Ive djd at plenty of rallies and a good few Northern events and if its a northern room at a rally you will hear mostly the same cheesy stuff as thats what most of the crowd want, if its at somehwere like the IOW there are about 4 events on every night catering for Northern and you could hear something different but yet again mostly the same old stuff gets played as thats what the majority want, some djs try to mix it with lesser played stuff but if it dont go down well the place will empty pretty damn quick, scooter rallies are just like Oldies nights IMHO plenty of Soulies are scooterists but not all like something a bit different just the same old same old, thats why im bored shitless with scooter rally Soul Rooms cos its like ground hog day at ever rally, they like what they know and they grwol if they dont :yes:

Social source share

IMHO I would guess that the Northern punters at the IOW would have a "less serious" head on. I'm not on the scooter scene but would imagine that with a different mix of people and different DJs etc you would act accordingly.

Regards

Mark C

Can't comment on scooter scene as never been.

But went to Goodwood Vintage Festival where you had kids on the dance floor, drinkers on the dance floor, people in crazy fancy dress etc........but everybody appeared to be be having the time of their lives dancing to northern.

I think us soulies may take ourselves too seriously

Social source share

Guest eaststand

I have a scoot, and dont attend any rallies, they dont interest me in any shape or form, on the scooter scene, people talk about rallies, af rayspeed, clubman exhausts, rebores etc, i can put up with all that! even though i have one the scene dosent interest me, I have been into Northern soul for 31 yrs, i dont think there is anything like it, great plush venues, good dj;s nice people, and of course the music. i cannot mix the two, because they are worlds apart, if i had to pick one of them, its easy! sell the scooter.

Social source share

Most folk i know on the scooter scene havent got a clue what Northern Soul is all about,mind you theres quiet a few on the Northern soul scene who haven got a clue what its all about either..Just an Observation:rolleyes: .......

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Ive djd at plenty of rallies and a good few Northern events and if its a northern room at a rally you will hear mostly the same cheesy stuff as thats what most of the crowd want, if its at somehwere like the IOW there are about 4 events on every night catering for Northern and you could hear something different but yet again mostly the same old stuff gets played as thats what the majority want, some djs try to mix it with lesser played stuff but if it dont go down well the place will empty pretty damn quick, scooter rallies are just like Oldies nights IMHO plenty of Soulies are scooterists but not all like something a bit different just the same old same old, thats why im bored shitless with scooter rally Soul Rooms cos its like ground hog day at ever rally, they like what they know and they grwol if they dont :yes:

i went in to loads of places thats were playing up front soul ,hipshakers ! and a few pubs even at the weller do they had djs playing northern and not just handbag stuff so sorry i think you wrong ,

Social source share

i went in to loads of places thats were playing up front soul ,hipshakers ! and a few pubs even at the weller do they had djs playing northern and not just handbag stuff so sorry i think you wrong ,

it pains me to say this but bearsy is right...now wheres that soap so i can wash my mouth out

moldie

Social source share

Guest soulboy

I have a scoot, and dont attend any rallies, they dont interest me in any shape or form, on the scooter scene, people talk about rallies, af rayspeed, clubman exhausts, rebores etc, i can put up with all that! even though i have one the scene dosent interest me, I have been into Northern soul for 31 yrs, i dont think there is anything like it, great plush venues, good dj;s nice people, and of course the music. i cannot mix the two, because they are worlds apart, if i had to pick one of them, its easy! sell the scooter.

i had lambrettas soon as i was old enough ,it was all about the style, the clothes and most def the music ! so could say i am the average soul loving scooter 'boy ' ,over the years i let the scooter side of it fall away due to family work ect, but not the music stayed with it even in the 80s when it all but died away , now got a scooter about 5 years ago back at it ,and its great met loads of real nice people that would give you there last penny and i would say almost all of them are in to northern ! get your self to a rally you may be surprised.......... how much do you want for it ?

Social source share

I agree , ive only had my scooter 3 yrs , been on a couple of rallys , goin rhyl in a couple of wks. First one was I.O.W , and boy what a weekend that was. To say it was one of the best weekends ive ever had is an understatement. I too went to hipshaker , brilliant in the R n B room where we stayed all night. The pub over the road belted out an open air disco all day where 50% of the tunes played were new to me. It was just a different atmosphere , the cameraderie was great , id reccomend anyone to try it at least once in their life.

Social source share

Of course you can take it a step further and say there are two parallel scenes - the Oldies thing that will attract the crowd that ride scooters and like Northern ie Kings Hall, and the upfront Rare Soul scene - Lifeline, 100 Club etc. I doubt that many at Lifeline Saturday were bothered that they were missing the IOW!

Mark C

Social source share

I agree , ive only had my scooter 3 yrs , been on a couple of rallys , goin rhyl in a couple of wks. First one was I.O.W , and boy what a weekend that was. To say it was one of the best weekends ive ever had is an understatement. I too went to hipshaker , brilliant in the R n B room where we stayed all night. The pub over the road belted out an open air disco all day where 50% of the tunes played were new to me. It was just a different atmosphere , the cameraderie was great , id reccomend anyone to try it at least once in their life.

Glad you had a good time - my only experience of a scooter Northern doo was at Gt Yarmouth in the late 80s. Edwin Starr (RIP) was appearing at an All-Niter at Tiffanys so a few of us went along. We were dancing and were suddenly aware of people in sleeping bags around the dance floor! A few of them got kicked in the head when the stompers came on lol

Mark C

Social source share

I think scooterists helped widen the verballing material at all-nighters in the early 80s, with people jawing about ancilloti seats and delorto carbs instead of the usual anorak stuff. I bought a lambretta jet 200 as soon as I was 17 in 1977, basically because I thought it was a cool alternative to mopeds and those yamaha 'fizzies'. When the Mod revival came along I got another, a beaten up Li150 which I had overhauled a resprayed. On that I went up to the Scarborough rally of 1980. The place where we went to dance was definitely Northern dominated 'cos Bub was deejaying in his inimitable way. However, there were other types there that clearly wanted The Who, Small Faces, Two Tone, Madness, The Jam etc. I couldn't stand any of that, so my association with the Mod scene didn't last 18 months. I found it tedious to have to sit through.

Social source share

Just picked this up on FaceBook

posting this in memory of the three scooterists who have sadly lost

their lives attending the IoW scooter rally, doing the thing they love

the most. i would urge everyone, scooterists/bikers and non-bikers to

PLEASE post this to your walls?! the more drivers that are aware the

more of our lives will be saved from needless death?! absolute respect

to the families and friends of the fallen scooterists - we are one

Jesus 3 dead ? anyone know anything ?

R & K

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Just picked this up on FaceBook

posting this in memory of the three scooterists who have sadly lost

their lives attending the IoW scooter rally, doing the thing they love

the most. i would urge everyone, scooterists/bikers and non-bikers to

PLEASE post this to your walls?! the more drivers that are aware the

more of our lives will be saved from needless death?! absolute respect

to the families and friends of the fallen scooterists - we are one

Jesus 3 dead ? anyone know anything ?

R & K

i heard about 2 one had a blow out and one a heart attack ! that was the word on the street dont know if its true ,very sad people enjoying life ?

Social source share

yes i must be and you are obviously right so maybe see you at the next IOW for a beer whilst listening to the Snake :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

yes i must be and you are obviously right so maybe see you at the next IOW for a beer whilst listening to the Snake :thumbsup:

maybe that just about sums it up ?

Social source share

Of course you can take it a step further and say there are two parallel scenes - the Oldies thing that will attract the crowd that ride scooters and like Northern ie Kings Hall, and the upfront Rare Soul scene - Lifeline, 100 Club etc. I doubt that many at Lifeline Saturday were bothered that they were missing the IOW!

Mark C

You would be hard pressed to find a totally northern soul do on the island.Hipshaker was more r&b this year than ever.The Crown has even started playing more r &b even after about 30 punters walked off the floor.Most of the bars are mod cabaret.Never went upstairs at the balcony bar so cant comment.Great weekend though but I don't expect much from the music....whatever happened to the allnighter club of Great Britain and big northern soul allnighters at rallies. Scooters and soul have always gone together.

central scooters.bmp

central scooters.bmp

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Northern Soul is part of the scooter scene albeit lowest common denominator stuff , scooters are not part of the NS scene . I enjoy both scenes if I want to hear great NS I will go to a dedicated soul do ,if I want a weekend away and a laugh with mates then its off on my scoot .

Not wishing to generalise but many scooterists seem to like a variety of genre,s including NS and dont have the hang ups we have about labels and originality etc . Northen is just part of the wider term scooterist music .

Social source share

Left the scooter scene around 1990, the music always came first for me..... Away on rallies with the boys i did enjoy for a time but away for a quality soul event of a weekend was number one...

I found plenty more making the choice.... For some is was the scooters and others the soul music.... Some kept scooters but just kept away from rallies that did not give them a quality soul event, i was pissed off at scooter soul niters, dead bodies in sleeping bags, piss heads, right wing boneheads, beer bottles on the dancefloor, northern soul cheesy standards from the djs etc etc etc... The real decider was a LCGB Scooter all niter in Peterboro with Eddie Holman playing live and many many doing the Nazi salute while he was singing laugh.gif:thumbsup: .. Not my idea of soul... Plus Great Yarmouth late 80s, black artists on stage at all niters and boneheads in the crowd, again not mi idea of soul heaven...

Kept in touch with quite a few on the scooter scene in uk, Ireland, Germany etc, pretty much the same thing with scooter events being mainly about the scooters and piss up first and then some cheesy classic soul/ mod tunes along with Indie thrown into the mix....

Many thousands of folk enjoying both but not at the same events.... Live and let live aint it....

Never been to Isle Of White, was at Brighton weekend 2 years ago and then again this weekend... Talked to quite a few who used to go to IOW but Brighton is better for the music for them....

Social source share

I was at the IOW this year its my 4th year on the trot and its brilliant , avoid the main venues for most of the reasons stated , last year went to an hotel where some of the midlands lads were staying and they put on their own soul night and it was great a bit of everything didnt hear the snake though , they couldnt do it this year but will be there next year and so will I

Yes you do get a lot of pissheads on the scooter scene but their are a lot of people into it, who come on here imberboy for one and he will listen and dance to owt , rare ,modern , r&b you name it

IOW for me is a refreshing change where you meet people from all over the country and abroad they definately aint soul snobs like some who come on here and pontificate about something they know f all about

Social source share

ha ha just heard to day i will be playing at camber sands in the soul room...played there (and hemsby,same organisers)before and am looking forward to it BUT do agree alot of rally goers are not as polite as those on soul scene and while northern is loved for the most part it is the cd buying nostalgia types who also like a lot of other genres

at weston a few weeks back stayed in the soul rooms which were ok although didnt really hear nuffin i didnt know....way too much alcohol , testosterone and right wing politics STILL in the other rooms...always feel like it could kick off (which it did last year !) ive never had that at northern venues but at camber the soul room will be wicked...lots of djs who also play on the soul scene and a dancin comp with some good movers

although i first heard soul from my dad and then my alnighter going older bruv it was the 80s rallies where i really first did alnighters etc inc tiffanys..saw edwin a few times and eddie holman,mary wells,jj barnes and a few more but it was right wing skins that made me leave...got another lammy 6 years back and love it although if i came down to my scoot or a couple grand worth of my vinyl there'd be no compition,scoot would be gone. and on the 24th sept will be at the gloucester alnight and not the woolacombe rally...only do a couple of rallies now where years ago would only miss one a year

so to sum up while the scooter and soul scenes can be very similiar they can also be worlds apart

dean

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

Have to second Bearsy on his statement.

Used to DJ on the scooter- scene in Germany a lot back in the early to mid- nineties, always was asked for the same old song again and again.

As most of the times I denied, some guys called me the "b-sides- Gerd" :hatsoff2:

Nowadays I go to scooter- rallies to see some old mates, but definitely not for the music.

In former times the rare soul scene in Germany consisted of mostly scooterists or mods, today there´s a quite healthy following of soul music in most bigger cities with a sprinkle of mods, scooterboys etc.

Social source share

its the alcohol...lotsa ppl get lashed up over the island but you dont see many steaming drunk at a soul night/nighter

That's the answer I'd go with.

When I did drink I could cope with/enjoy scooter rallies but you really need to drink to be able to cope with all the drunken idiots you get there.

When I first went to all-niters there was no drink, no need either, the music and atmosphere was all you needed.

Even with drink available now there still doesn't seem to be the need to drink til you fall down to have fun.

I did suggest us going down to the Isle of Wight this year because it was one of my favourite rallies and Dean just laughed and said I wouldn't be able to handle it...:thumbsup:

Social source share

ha ha just heard to day i will be playing at camber sands in the soul room...played there (and hemsby,same organisers)before and am looking forward to it BUT do agree alot of rally goers are not as polite as those on soul scene and while northern is loved for the most part it is the cd buying nostalgia types who also like a lot of other genres

at weston a few weeks back stayed in the soul rooms which were ok although didnt really hear nuffin i didnt know....way too much alcohol , testosterone and right wing politics STILL in the other rooms...always feel like it could kick off (which it did last year !) ive never had that at northern venues but at camber the soul room will be wicked...lots of djs who also play on the soul scene and a dancin comp with some good movers

although i first heard soul from my dad and then my alnighter going older bruv it was the 80s rallies where i really first did alnighters etc inc tiffanys..saw edwin a few times and eddie holman,mary wells,jj barnes and a few more but it was right wing skins that made me leave...got another lammy 6 years back and love it although if i came down to my scoot or a couple grand worth of my vinyl there'd be no compition,scoot would be gone. and on the 24th sept will be at the gloucester alnight and not the woolacombe rally...only do a couple of rallies now where years ago would only miss one a year

so to sum up while the scooter and soul scenes can be very similiar they can also be worlds apart

dean

Been chatting to a few folk of late about the scooter scene in the past, its been a part of so many of our lives in some way.... Always thought i would like to get another scoot and try a few out again but with these far right pricks still about its best i stay away... I have seen them since very early 80s at ska gigs/ Jam Gigs/ scooter rallies/ Mod Events etc etc... White power on scooter panels at Scarboro/ Morecambe :yes: ... Was a real shame as it was a big part of my life but enough is enough after Yarmouth late 80s....

So many good folk but enough of these clowns , they were left unchecked and created a cancer for me in the scooter scene... Many lads did not like them but put up with it, i am sure many on here have known or still know some of these...

I was fooked on two fronts, in the late 80s i was still more mod influenced on the scooter scene, a time when they scooter boys were targeting mods at rallies, and i was black...... I was spat at and called all the names you can think of, did not tell my mates as would have caused more problems with them sticking up for me, had enough of that on the footie casual scene also....

It was time to go full tilt into the soul scene....

A certain code of conduct exists on the soul scene that was not there at soul events on the scooter scene for me.... Simple really...

If thats a soul snob then guilty guilty guilty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Been chatting to a few folk of late about the scooter scene in the past, its been a part of so many of our lives in some way.... Always thought i would like to get another scoot and try a few out again but with these far right pricks still about its best i stay away... I have seen them since very early 80s at ska gigs/ Jam Gigs/ scooter rallies/ Mod Events etc etc... White power on scooter panels at Scarboro/ Morecambe :no: ... Was a real shame as it was a big part of my life but enough is enough after Yarmouth late 80s....

So many good folk but enough of these clowns , they were left unchecked and created a cancer for me in the scooter scene... Many lads did not like them but put up with it, i am sure many on here have known or still know some of these...

I was fooked on two fronts, in the late 80s i was still more mod influenced on the scooter scene, a time when they scooter boys were targeting mods at rallies, and i was black...... I was spat at and called all the names you can think of, did not tell my mates as would have caused more problems with them sticking up for me, had enough of that on the footie casual scene also....

A certain code of conduct exists on the soul scene that was not there at soul events on the scooter scene for me.... Simple really...

Got to agree with you little Stevie I did the northern room at scooter rally last year and this big fat idiot came up to the decks with his shirt off with an England tattoo and a Swastika tattoo right next to it. I mean whats that all about he asked for a record I told him I didn't have it to be honest I wanted to smash his face in with that shit on his arm its disgusting. :yes: Having said that I know some blokes on the Scooter scene and there not all bad.

Social source share

Got to agree with you little Stevie I did the northern room at scooter rally last year and this big fat idiot came up to the decks with his shirt off with an England tattoo and a Swastika tattoo right next to it. I mean whats that all about he asked for a record I told him I didn't have it to be honest I wanted to smash his face in with that shit on his arm its disgusting. :thumbsup: Having said that I know some blokes on the Scooter scene and there not all bad.

Most i met on the scene were fine but enough of the other sort to have me wanting away....

I guess this topics more about the northern soul at scooter rallies V on the main northern soul scene...

The far right herberts who get moist to black music is best left for another day, it could open up some wounds that would need some serious moderation.....

Of course the politics are there on the Northern scene too but left at the door i have found.... Never had any problems at Northern soul events in all my time...

Social source share

Guest eaststand

i had lambrettas soon as i was old enough ,it was all about the style, the clothes and most def the music ! so could say i am the average soul loving scooter 'boy ' ,over the years i let the scooter side of it fall away due to family work ect, but not the music stayed with it even in the 80s when it all but died away , now got a scooter about 5 years ago back at it ,and its great met loads of real nice people that would give you there last penny and i would say almost all of them are in to northern ! get your self to a rally you may be surprised.......... how much do you want for it ?

S2 lammy perfect n straight, pearl white, 125 special edition, chrome buttybox, bridge,head and back light, half snetterton, on a 1964 plate, genuine italian, make me an offer!

Social source share

S2 lammy perfect n straight, pearl white, 125 special edition, chrome buttybox, bridge,head and back light, half snetterton, on a 1964 plate, genuine italian, make me an offer!

Freebasing sales for that mate... Any more replies from folk wanting it could send this way off topic..... Sounds good though.... get it up in sales section....

Social source share

Been chatting to a few folk of late about the scooter scene in the past, its been a part of so many of our lives in some way.... Always thought i would like to get another scoot and try a few out again but with these far right pricks still about its best i stay away... I have seen them since very early 80s at ska gigs/ Jam Gigs/ scooter rallies/ Mod Events etc etc... White power on scooter panels at Scarboro/ Morecambe :yes: ... Was a real shame as it was a big part of my life but enough is enough after Yarmouth late 80s....

unfortunately racism casts its evil shadow everywhere in our society and am sure you are aware of that stevie and a small minority of racists are still in the scooter scene but nowhere as bad now as it was back then , but surely you shouldnt be prevented from doing something you want to do because of this , the majority of scooterists are decent folk and welcome anyone into the scooter scene ,

Social source share

unfortunately racism casts its evil shadow everywhere in our society and am sure you are aware of that stevie and a small minority of racists are still in the scooter scene but nowhere as bad now as it was back then , but surely you shouldnt be prevented from doing something you want to do because of this , the majority of scooterists are decent folk and welcome anyone into the scooter scene ,

Except decent Soul DJs :thumbsup:

I must admit to being bored shitless with the music at national rallys

I still love my Lambretta - but sort of got really bored with the same

old shite bands and predictable music played at the nationals.

Id rarther stay at home and polish the thing :yes:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Except decent Soul DJs :yes:

I must admit to being bored shitless with the music at national rallys

I still love my Lambretta - but sort of got really bored with the same

old shite bands and predictable music played at the nationals.

Id rarther stay at home and polish the thing :D

My thoughts exactly :thumbsup::yes::no::D :D:D

Social source share

Soul, boy, you say "for some reason they seam more open minded"

Are you saying they'll dance to any thing or are you trying to suggest that the Hobby Mods are into more up front Northernsoul than what is happening up and down the country at our allnighters?

Think ya got the wrong end of the stick but I'm glad you had a great weekend. www.tafsc.com

Social source share

So i may not be wrong with what i posted earlier then :yes:

A few tunes by a few djs that are not of the norm played at rallies imho does not make the Scooter scene Soul rooms forward thinking cos the other 95% of tunes played are the same old boring repetative cheese of what the masses want and demand,

I got taken off the decks early last year at The Crown on IOW last year by the promoter/dj for what i can only think was that i was playing a set of imho great "northern" tunes but tunes not really ever heard at scooter rallies normally, i had people dancing and plenty asking what i was playing and after my shortened set i had plenty telling me they loved what i played, that was refreshing and nice but probably in all honestly there was probably more having a moan and not likeing what i played, the power of the punter at a rally will always determine what gets played and rightly so cos imho i expect nothing other than the cheese that always gets played so for me the music at a rally is just background music cos im too busy having the craic with mates, no criticism of dj they give the crowd what they want and not a dig at the puters either they like what they like but NO way is the soul played at Rallies anything other than groundhog day music 90% of the time and i should know ive been guilty of playing it many a time :thumbsup:

Social source share

So i may not be wrong with what i posted earlier then :D

A few tunes by a few djs that are not of the norm played at rallies imho does not make the Scooter scene Soul rooms forward thinking cos the other 95% of tunes played are the same old boring repetative cheese of what the masses want and demand,

I got taken off the decks early last year at The Crown on IOW last year by the promoter/dj for what i can only think was that i was playing a set of imho great "northern" tunes but tunes not really ever heard at scooter rallies normally, i had people dancing and plenty asking what i was playing and after my shortened set i had plenty telling me they loved what i played, that was refreshing and nice but probably in all honestly there was probably more having a moan and not likeing what i played, the power of the punter at a rally will always determine what gets played and rightly so cos imho i expect nothing other than the cheese that always gets played so for me the music at a rally is just background music cos im too busy having the craic with mates, no criticism of dj they give the crowd what they want and not a dig at the puters either they like what they like but NO way is the soul played at Rallies anything other than groundhog day music 90% of the time and i should know ive been guilty of playing it many a time :thumbsup:

"Take me in, oh tender woman

Take me in, for heaven's sake :yes::no::D:D:D:yes::D

Social source share

I DJ'd in the main room on Saturday night at Holiday In Holland, played Fire Island featuring Loleatta Holloway - Shout To The Top followed by DRIZABONE - Pressure they didn't want to know and just wanted to dance to Moses Smith - "Girl across the street" and the like.

It was like a kids fookin party, as long as I played the tried and tested formulated same old same old they where happy as Larry, I swore I'd never do it again as I could have just played the Northernsoul equivalent to Jive Bunny.

The Scooter Scene did help prop up the Northernsoul Scene in the late eighties and very early nineties but there have never ever been any records broken on the Scooter Scene, there have been a few records championed such as "Suspicion", "Love is serious business", "I want to give you tomorrow", and the "Drifter" but these where as a result of The Northernsoul Scene. DJ's such as Tony Class where products of The 100 Club visits, John Buck RSG tailed off the Scootering Scene (now back and at The Crown?).

I'm not saying that Scooterists don't take their music seriously; I am saying that they aren't serious about music.

The Snake and The Vibrations type Northern probably connect some of the Soul Night Soulies and the EBay Scooterists together in a wonderful weekend away kinda Disney like experience.

Social source share

So i may not be wrong with what i posted earlier then :yes:

I got taken off the decks early last year at The Crown on IOW last year by the promoter/dj for what i can only think was that i was playing a set of imho great "northern" tunes but tunes not really ever heard at scooter rallies normally, i had people dancing and plenty asking what i was playing and after my shortened set i had plenty telling me they loved what i played, that was refreshing and nice but probably in all honestly there was probably more having a moan and not likeing what i played, the power of the punter at a rally will always determine what gets played and rightly so cos imho i expect nothing other than the cheese that always gets played so for me the music at a rally is just background music cos im too busy having the craic with mates, no criticism of dj they give the crowd what they want and not a dig at the puters either they like what they like but NO way is the soul played at Rallies anything other than groundhog day music 90% of the time and i should know ive been guilty of playing it many a time :ohmy:

bearsy....why on earth did pete book you..surely he must know you aint a cheesemeister..bad planning on behalf of promoter id say..also we both know what has to be played at scooter events..think back to the medway aces event last year and what we both played to keep them happy

moldie

Social source share

Good question and a good answer hear, I think,

IMHO I would guess that the Northern punters at the IOW would have a "less serious" head on. I'm not on the scooter scene but would imagine that with a different mix of people and different DJs etc you would act accordingly.

Regards

Mark C

I saw a number of people at Hipshaker that I recognised from more 'rarified' soul do's, dancing away to Bearsy's 'cheese' and having a whale of a time (and joined in myself) and would guess it's the whole weekend/holiday/loads of mates kind of thing that engenders the less serious heads. I dont go to many nighters but guess you get a similar buzz?

I cant talk for other scooter events, but I love the Isle of Wight which I guess is slightly different from the mainstream in that there are loads of events scattered around Ryde offering loads of choice, loads of different places to visit etc.

I've only been to places like Hipshaker and the Crown and always found the crowds to be as friendly as you would expect at a Northern do, complete with good dancefloor etticette (apologies for spelling) and generally up for a good time. No real sign of the combats and tatty clothes brigades who come across more leary.

The girl I travelled down with was black and didnt once feel uncomfortable or threatened at Hipshaker or anywhere else we went (not to say they aren't still lurking down there somewhere).

I'm going to post my playlist on the playlist page in a moment, so you can make up your own minds (I know there is a full cheese quota in there lol) but my tunes seemed to be well received and kept people on the dancefloor.

Our guest DJ Ian Stebbings played a much rarer set which again was well received.

To sum up, the IOW rally can be a fun place to go, enjoy and let yourself go, but if you only want to hear rare or upfront northern, don't go.

Bearsey mate, I'm shocked to hear that happened to you at the Crown especially as there seemed to be alot of negative publicity against other well known event, trumpeting the rare soul on offer at the Crown. I'm agreeing with everyone tonight, so Moldie you are right it's the promotors job to book the right DJ's for his event and pulling someone's set is a bit naughty.

Can't comment about the other room at Hipshaker as I didnt really make it in there.

Does any of that make sense?

Dave

Social source share

Northern Soul is part of the scooter scene albeit lowest common denominator stuff , scooters are not part of the NS scene . I enjoy both scenes if I want to hear great NS I will go to a dedicated soul do ,if I want a weekend away and a laugh with mates then its off on my scoot .

Not wishing to generalise but many scooterists seem to like a variety of genre,s including NS and dont have the hang ups we have about labels and originality etc . Northen is just part of the wider term scooterist music .

I was gonna say one scene is about the music and the other about scooters albeit with a bit of northern in the mix.

Social source share

ok will try to sum it up in a different way

as a mere mortal and part of the great unwashed dont promote or dj or fook all really just want to have a good time whatever and be happy

northern soul is a passive thing as far as Im concerned I just turn up at an event I want to go to, and listen and dance to the music which is provided for me by dj,s and usually have a great time doing so, and do so almost every w/end.

scootering is totally different , getting from A to B on something which was designed to only get you to the local pasta supermarket involves a lot of trepidation and a sense of achievment when you get there, and the time and effort in keepin your scoot going and being among likeminded people with the same problems and difficulties is very rewarding ,

much more effort imho is required in scootering and the ability to face adversity when things go wrong as they often do and the satisfaction when you or some kind scooterist repairs your scoot and gets you away is so rewarding .

and if I had to choose between my records or my scoots , its a no brainer , I dont have any records , and would sooner part with the wife than my lambrettas:D

one can exist in the northern scene without owning overpriced vinyl discs

but in the scootering scene your fooked if you dont have a scooter:hatsoff2:

Edited by barney
Social source share

ok will try to sum it up in a different way

as a mere mortal and part of the great unwashed dont promote or dj or fook all really just want to have a good time whatever and be happy

northern soul is a passive thing as far as Im concerned I just turn up at an event I want to go to, and listen and dance to the music which is provided for me by dj,s and usually have a great time doing so, and do so almost every w/end.

scootering is totally different , getting from A to B on something which was designed to only get you to the local pasta supermarket involves a lot of trepidation and a sense of achievment when you get there, and the time and effort in keepin your scoot going and being among likeminded people with the same problems and difficulties is very rewarding ,

much more effort imho is required in scootering and the ability to face adversity when things go wrong as they often do and the satisfaction when you or some kind scooterist repairs your scoot and gets you away is so rewarding .

and if I had to choose between my records or my scoots , its a no brainer , I dont have any records , and would sooner part with the wife than my lambrettas:D

one can exist in the northern scene without owning overpriced vinyl discs

but in the scootering scene your fooked if you dont have a scooter:hatsoff2:

Barney being among likeminded people with the same problems and difficulties is very rewarding?

I suppose it should be mate but when the problems and difficulties begin and end in finding a safe place to park your van up in Southampton prior to riding onto the ferry kinda erodes the shared problems and difficulties some what?

Barney we both know that like the Northernsoul scene the Scooter Scene has many layers and credibility is mainly in the eye of the beholder, The IOW Scooter Rally is the ultimate "Soul Night" experience giving a disposable weekend to hundreds of Scooter fans who want to reenact what ever slice of nostalgia that floats their boat.

Barney we both have Lambretta and we both have GTS 250's and we both love our music and scooters.

I don't know why hobby mods bother me so much, they shouldn't but they do?

I have no interest in any one who surfed EBay for the appropriate attire and rally patches who then pay some one else to restore a hunk of junk they have just bought from Vietnam and then book a BnB, hire a van and hey presto they are giving it large about a scene that they have cared little for until their mid life crisis.

Like I said, I don't know why it bothers me so much but I just can't stand to listen to people drone on and on usually with pilfered memories.

The IOW is a great giggle, Hipshakers and The Crown are a good night out to listen and dance to your preferred music. If you want up front, new sounds and rare dancers and a taste of some thing you might not know then you aint gonna get it on The IOW.

Barney I'm out next weekend mate.

IMG-Kes.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert