Desperate Djs?

Guest Simon

Something that's been nagging me for a while, why do some 'djs' post up stuff like "thanks to so & so for letting me dj at their do" etc, surely it should be the other war around & the promoter thanking the dj for supplying their djing skills for the night.

Is it just the fact that certain peeps are so desperate to dj nowadays they have to show the promoter thanks in taking pity on them?

As far as i'm aware not many people go to work & thank the boss for letting them lay some bricks that day.

Simon :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Simon

Interesting thread to start. I have been watching and listening since my return from Spain a couple of years ago and you are spot on. It's sometimes also about Ego's and older men just before they are sent into a nursing home.

Good DJ's turn up play music and get a great sense of satisfaction in getting people to dance and nod their heads or tap their feet.

If DJ's thank everyone else they are missing the point....it's up to others to thank them for the music they played (no matter what their name is) and I always remember them if they get to my Soul and forget them if they don't

Soulfully Yours

Jonathan

Social source share

Something that's been nagging me for a while, why do some 'djs' post up stuff like "thanks to so & so for letting me dj at their do" etc, surely it should be the other war around & the promoter thanking the dj for supplying their djing skills for the night.

Is it just the fact that certain peeps are so desperate to dj nowadays they have to show the promoter thanks in taking pity on them?

As far as i'm aware not many people go to work & thank the boss for letting them lay some bricks that day.

Simon :lol:

Good point Simon, but for most it isn't a "job". There's always a bit of ego involved too I'm sure. Many more irregular djs do so to share their records because they believe they have something to share. However, that doesn't account for the pressing box djs toting stuff around not to be proud of. IMO.

Social source share

Something that's been nagging me for a while, why do some 'djs' post up stuff like "thanks to so & so for letting me dj at their do" etc, surely it should be the other war around & the promoter thanking the dj for supplying their djing skills for the night. Is it just the fact that certain peeps are so desperate to dj nowadays they have to show the promoter thanks in taking pity on them? As far as i'm aware not many people go to work & thank the boss for letting them lay some bricks that day. Simon :lol:
mmh, can`t think of any of my guest DJ´s who has not thanked me be it private or in public for a great night, hospitality etc. . This includes al ot of England`s top DJ`s who I am certain are not desperate to DJ in any way. Quite the opposite in fact as I am the desperate person to get them over. And it does take some time and talking in certain cases LOL. So I believe its simply called politeness. Most of the promoters will already have expressed their thanks at the end of the night ie long before a review will be published on the internet. At least I do every time I have guest DJ` s. By saying/expressing "thank you" to the promoters on the net DJ`s will most of the time just use the chance to express their happiness to have had a great night deejaying at a fantastic place, to fantastic people etc...maybe even abroad. At least I do. But I am with you in that it has become a bit inflated indeed...as nowadays every night seems to have been "fantastic"..."and it was fantastic to have been asked to dj to a fantastic crowd etc"...when in reality it was just he promoter an his ten best buddies sitting togehter listening to some 45s played out while enjoying the latest smalltalk and having a pint... which again also can in some cases be very much "a fantastic night" LOL Marc Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Simon :)

Simon your spot on there mate! building trade is flat around these parts as well......... :yes:

steve J

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Reminds me of an arguement I once had with a former boss a number of years ago. He was coming out with all the typical management shite as if they were doing us a favour employing us, " you're lucky we employ you blah, blah, blah" to which we were supposed to doff our caps and utter immortal thanks. :yes: Had to correct him and say " no, you're f**king lucky I sell you 40 hours of my time each week" or words to that effect.

Then he sacked me :)

Social source share

I have thanked promoters on here for inviting me to dj for them as i see it as an honour to be asked to dj, ive never asked for a dj spot and i never will as im not desperate to dj so a nice thank you aint a bad thing imho :thumbsup:

Social source share

Des Parkers first name is actually Quentin.

He is somewhat embarressed by his first name, so years ago asked Beggsy to give him a new first 'nickname'

The 'Des' is actually short for 'Desperate' (not Desmond as you might presume)

Beggsy decided this was a good name cus 'Des' would DJ at the opening of an envelope if asked.

Not a lot of people know that :thumbsup:

Social source share

He is somewhat embarressed by his first name, so years ago asked Beggsy to give him a new first 'nickname'

Beggsy decided this was a good name cus 'Des' would DJ at the opening of an envelope if asked.

Some are so desperate they've resorted to playing there own instumental woodwind versions of tunes at the back of soul nights! Flatulent re-edit of tune up anyone?

Social source share

Very hard to use a sweeping generlisation on all that show thanks in lookback, some are showing manners and feel humble at the chance to play. Maybe you will have to give us an example simon of a desperate dj or is it any of us who post any feedback..

Just something i've noticed on the web over recent times Steve, i'm not gonna give examples but it certainly isn't the likes of your goodself, you're the sort of person/dj i look up to, a man of high standards.

I just find it generally a bit cheesy when people say things like "thanks to so & so for giving me the opportunity to dj at their do" etc, just comes across as a bit crawly to me.

I guess it's just not my way, anyway it was just an observation, no big thing & nothing personal meant against anyone in particular.

Simon

Social source share

I have thanked promoters on here for inviting me to dj for them as i see it as an honour to be asked to dj, ive never asked for a dj spot and i never will as im not desperate to dj so a nice thank you aint a bad thing imho :thumbsup:

Hadn't really thought of it in those terms tbh but you have a fair point, i've also never asked for a dj spot as far as i can remember.

Must admit i felt priviledged to be asked to dj at the allnighter in Brighton this Sunday, especially with such an illustrious line up, also chuffed to be part of a night that some have described as their best ever nighter.

Simon thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Some are so desperate they've resorted to playing there own instumental woodwind versions of tunes at the back of soul nights! Flatulent re-edit of tune up anyone?

It seemed more desperate to me that you asked if you could join in my rendition by playing my organ.

Pervert!

Social source share

Thinking about this simon i know the kind of person you talk about, cant really do anything about a desperate one who seems to be begging, some folk play it that way and dont realise its as plain as day.. Wait to be asked i say but some folk do it another way.. Good to see in brighton mate, that was something special indeed. Ps....................My box is ready for action again now,please please tell the promoter, tell the world, i am willing, able and desperate, my dj name is gonna be Martini from today

Social source share

Desperate Dans - they the ones who come up to promoters at different venues with the "chip" :D

I'd love to DJ your place m8 etc etc blah blah angry.gif

OK m8 I'll be in touch :lol:

I never did then - sothen "Chips" has the cheek to say can't do it something's cropped up :ohmy::D

Utter male dangly bits :thumbsup:

Social source share

Spot on Bearsy.

I remember djing at the Dome and felt it was an enormous privilege to be able to do so. So saying thanks is no bad thing either privately or more publicly IMHO.

Social source share

Paul, I agree. At one of my last events I had 2 well known DJ's who left and could not be even bothered to say night. Not expect any thanks but common courtesy costs owt.

Look forward to having you up here soom mate.laugh.gif

Social source share

Good point Simon, but for most it isn't a "job". There's always a bit of ego involved too I'm sure. Many more irregular djs do so to share their records because they believe they have something to share. However, that doesn't account for the pressing box djs toting stuff around not to be proud of. IMO.

I have to agree with you on this one! but is funny the so called DJ's with the pressing box seem to get a lot of work and the guys with the originals get zip! maybe the punters don't like originals as they play to loud and clear and they prefer the muffled warbling of the good old Boot!! laugh.gif:ohmy::thumbsup: But I do agree to thanking the promoter if you have had a good night as I am sure most do the same for you! IMHO

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Reminds me of an arguement I once had with a former boss a number of years ago. He was coming out with all the typical management shite as if they were doing us a favour employing us, " you're lucky we employ you blah, blah, blah" to which we were supposed to doff our caps and utter immortal thanks. angry.gif Had to correct him and say " no, you're f**king lucky I sell you 40 hours of my time each week" or words to that effect.

Then he sacked me :ohmy:

KILLER! :D :D :lol: :lol: :yes: :yes: :thumbsup: PMSL

Social source share

Would that be 'Begging Beggsy'?

LOL biggrin.gif

Social source share

Hadn't really thought of it in those terms tbh but you have a fair point, i've also never asked for a dj spot as far as i can remember.

Must admit i felt priviledged to be asked to dj at the allnighter in Brighton this Sunday, especially with such an illustrious line up, also chuffed to be part of a night that some have described as their best ever nighter.

Simon thumbsup.gif

You changed your tune.All seems a bit crawly to me.And not the town on the south coast.ONLY JOKING.:thumbsup: .I guess that's how most feel when asked.

Come on Simon.Name names.The scene is on its arse,can't get any lower can it.?

Social source share

You changed your tune.All seems a bit crawly to me.And not the town on the south coast.ONLY JOKING.:thumbsup: .I guess that's how most feel when asked.

Come on Simon.Name names.The scene is on its arse,can't get any lower can it.?

Ha Ha...Being honoured & priviledged is one thing, being desperate is another.

Think some people on this thread (not you) have misunderstood my post, it's not about bad manners but desperation.

Anyway i think i've had my input on this one & no i'm not naming names! laugh.gif

Simon

Social source share

Ha Ha...Being honoured & priviledged is one thing, being desperate is another.

Think some people on this thread (not you) have misunderstood my post, it's not about bad manners but desperation.

Anyway i think i've had my input on this one & no i'm not naming names! laugh.gif

Simon

Ok, i'm reopening this thread but i won't personally be participating in it, i locked it because people were misconstruing what i was trying to say, the written word an all that.

It wasn't a personal dig at any one particular person, just a personal observation about djing, i wish i'd never bothered writing it but as i'm a curious person who likes debate i did.

I've reopened it because some people wanted right of reply, i'll leave it open for a couple of days, when the debate reaches it's natural conclusion i'll lock it again.

Apologies if i offended anyone by this post but it's almost impossible to debate something without at least offending someone.

Simon x

Social source share

Simon :ohmy:

You will never find a collector behaving like this thumbsup.gif

I am past caring and sharing my musical hobbies with anyone !

even my wife dosen't have a clue about my taste in music !

just leave me alone with myself and by myself !

I don't wish to DJ for anyone anymore but I will always collect and LOVE these obscure Soul 45s for myself !

I don't need you and you don't need me !

just keep diggin !

Peace !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

:ohmy: marc,si..spot on...i went to a do the other nite an trust me,,i will only pick em now..read the report the next day..playist,thanked every effer,,blah blah...and there wer 12 people.? ding..wot a effin crowd..i woz omly one who danced..well internet bullshit...old days..if you needed to no get out there an find it ..all bollerco..xxxxxxxxxxx:hatsoff2:

mmh, can`t think of any of my guest DJ´s who has not thanked me be it private or in public for a great night, hospitality etc. . This includes al ot of England`s top DJ`s who I am certain are not desperate to DJ in any way. Quite the opposite in fact as I am the desperate person to get them over. And it does take some time and talking in certain cases LOL. So I believe its simply called politeness. Most of the promoters will already have expressed their thanks at the end of the night ie long before a review will be published on the internet. At least I do every time I have guest DJ` s. By saying/expressing "thank you" to the promoters on the net DJ`s will most of the time just use the chance to express their happiness to have had a great night deejaying at a fantastic place, to fantastic people etc...maybe even abroad. At least I do. But I am with you in that it has become a bit inflated indeed...as nowadays every night seems to have been "fantastic"..."and it was fantastic to have been asked to dj to a fantastic crowd etc"...when in reality it was just he promoter an his ten best buddies sitting togehter listening to some 45s played out while enjoying the latest smalltalk and having a pint... which again also can in some cases be very much "a fantastic night" LOL Marc

Social source share

:ohmy: AINT DAT D TRUTH..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:hatsoff2:

You will never find a collector behaving like this thumbsup.gif

I am past caring and sharing my musical hobbies with anyone !

even my wife dosen't have a clue about my taste in music !

just leave me alone with myself and by myself !

I don't want to DJ for anyone but I will always collect and LOVE these obscure Soul 45s for myself !

Peace !

Social source share

:ohmy: BEST THING MY MISSES EVA DID 4 ME..WOZ BY THIS HOUSE WIV A CELLER..KITTED OUT.DECKS,ALL ME RECORDS,LIL DANCE FLOOR,BEER,WOT EVA,,AN TIMES LIKE THIS ME,,AN F.K EM PLAY WOT I WONT AN GET AMMERED..FULL PLAYLIST TOMOZ,,,,IF IM ALIVE..1ST RECORD;....GLADYS KNIGHT...AINT NO SUN...

2ND RECORD; AS ABOVE.

3RD RECORD; IKE N TINA; FIRE DOWN BELOW.

4TH.................. MMMMM...MMM.. CANNED HEAT...GOIN UP THE COUNTRY..

CANT THINK..F K IT TELL YA TOMOZ...

yes.gifyes.gif:lol: :lol: :D:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: GUESS WOT NO BULLSHITERS..HAHAHAHAHAHA.X:hatsoff2:

Social source share

:ohmy: BEST THING MY MISSES EVA DID 4 ME..WOZ BY THIS HOUSE WIV A CELLER..KITTED OUT.DECKS,ALL ME RECORDS,LIL DANCE FLOOR,BEER,WOT EVA,,AN TIMES LIKE THIS ME,,AN F.K EM PLAY WOT I WONT AN GET AMMERED..FULL PLAYLIST TOMOZ,,,,IF IM ALIVE..1ST RECORD;....GLADYS KNIGHT...AINT NO SUN...

2ND RECORD; AS ABOVE.

3RD RECORD; IKE N TINA; FIRE DOWN BELOW.

4TH.................. MMMMM...MMM.. CANNED HEAT...GOIN UP THE COUNTRY..

CANT THINK..F K IT TELL YA TOMOZ...

yes.gifyes.gif:lol: :lol: :D:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: GUESS WOT NO BULLSHITERS..HAHAHAHAHAHA.X:hatsoff2:

your as mad as a lorry ! Has she got a sister ?

Social source share

Simon smile.gif

Without trying to be funny but why would you let something like this nag you :ohmy: !

Life's to short to let petty stuff like this eat away at you. From reading the thread you seem like you have good bookings such as the Brighton Mod Weekender. Enjoy it my friend no need to worry about other peoples are doing!

The only problem i have with people who are desperate to dj is that if they dont get asked you'll more than likely see another soul venue appear which will ultimately affect what is a fairly small scene anyhow as there's not a weekend goes by without something clashing!

p.s - Me being the polite young man i am i would always thank the promoter for inviting me to play my records.... i see it as a mutal repsect thing

Simon - did you thank rob for asking you to play at Brighton?

Callum

Social source share

!

The only problem i have with people who are desperate to dj is that if they dont get asked you'll more than likely see another soul venue appear which will ultimately affect what is a fairly small scene anyhow as there's not a weekend goes by without something clashing!

Callum

Not getting at you Callum cause I know your a good lad !

but sometimes its like your not allowed to collect vintage music without all this political crap !

It does me head in !

Just collect and enjoy good music is my way of thinking

do it for yourself !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Without trying to be funny but why would you let something like this nag you :ohmy: !

Life's to short to let petty stuff like this eat away at you. From reading the thread you seem like you have good bookings such as the Brighton Mod Weekender. Enjoy it my friend no need to worry about other peoples are doing!

p.s - Me being the polite young man i am i would always thank the promoter for inviting me to play my records.... i see it as a mutal repsect thing

Simon - did you thank rob for asking you to play at Brighton?

Callum

I wasn't gonna reply again on this thread but as you've asked me a direct question i will.

Maybe using the word 'nagging' was slightly OTT, it's hardly given me sleepless nights, i was more curious & as this is a debating site we have to talk about something.

Rob thanked me for playing at Brighton which is as it should be imo as he's the promoter & i hopefully did a good job for him, that's the whole crux of my point why would i thank Rob for working for him. I've told Rob i was honoured to be on a very illustrious djing bill, i was chuffed, i enjoyed it, i was humbled that he thought of me above all the other great djs out there etc.

It's the same if i'm promoting a gig or if i get someone to work in my shop for me, i say thanks to them for a good set or a good days work, i wouldn't expect them to come up to me though & say thanks for letting me dj or thanks for letting me work in your shop.

I'm a bit surprised tbh that people can't see where i'm coming from on this point, hopefully this has made it clearer.

Simon

Social source share

I've told Rob i was honoured to be on a very illustrious djing bill, i was chuffed, i enjoyed it, i was humbled that he thought of me above all the other great djs out there etc.

You obviously don't consider yourself a desperate DJ so why can't this be the same for other DJs?

It's the same if i'm promoting a gig or if i get someone to work in my shop for me, i say thanks to them for a good set or a good days work, i wouldn't expect them to come up to me though & say thanks for letting me dj or thanks for letting me work in your shop.

I was going to ask if a promoter thanks someone for DJing for them does that make them a desperate promoter?

Also you can't seriously compare a DJ set to your everyday job :ohmy:

Social source share

You obviously don't consider yourself a desperate DJ so why can't this be the same for other DJs?

I was going to ask if a promoter thanks someone for DJing for them does that make them a desperate promoter?

Also you can't seriously compare a DJ set to your everyday job :ohmy:

thumbsup.gif Exactly !!!

people will always thank each other after a great night - its called good manners !!!

Social source share

Of course not as they're the employer, that's the distinction imho.

Simon

Social source share

Not getting at you Callum cause I know your a good lad !

but sometimes its like your not allowed to collect vintage music without all this political crap !

It does me head in !

Just collect and enjoy good music is my way of thinking

do it for yourself !

Which is exactley what I do Mossy almost every weekend I'm out supporting either nighters, mod nights, soul nights etc. I collect what i like and enjoy a good old party.

I dont get involved with the politics and try to get on with everyone. The point i was trying to make was it can be a litte dissapointing when you've travelled a 300 round trip to a nighter/soul night and there's only 60-70 people there due to a another event being on within a 50 miles radius etc.

Totally agree about thanking a promoter/promoter thanking the dj -it's just good manners

Callum :ohmy:

Social source share

Boy am I glad I just go out to enjoy myself :ohmy:

So do i Joan & have a bloody good time, this thread has gone a bit more serious than i'd hoped (not sure exactly what i expected from it), me & my big mouth again! laugh.gif

I'm not as grumpy in real life as i sound on here honest!

Simon x

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i 'think' i know what simon means , I always find it a bit weird when people thank me for booking them ....s i don't let it bother me though, if they think highly enough of our club that they feel thankful for playing at it then it is a compliment for us .

oh and they guys we book aren't desperate , they are the best at what they do , that's why they get booked

Social source share

I must admit that I agree with Simon's original point, why do some DJ's post up things like "Thanks for letting me DJ". The promoter hasn't let you DJ, he's hired you to do a job of work (No matter how enjoyable it might be), and a good promoter should hire the DJs he thinks will do a good job at his venue, irregardless of what musical genre it might be.

Personally, as I'm not a promoter, I don't have 'my own gig' to fall back on, and can't trade spots with other promoters, so I'm always grateful for any bookings that are offered to me, and I always say thank you to a promoter for booking me, at the time the booking is confirmed, and like Paul, again when I've been paid :ohmy:.

Social source share

Guest posstot

Reminds me of an arguement I once had with a former boss a number of years ago. He was coming out with all the typical management shite as if they were doing us a favour employing us, " you're lucky we employ you blah, blah, blah" to which we were supposed to doff our caps and utter immortal thanks. :ohmy: Had to correct him and say " no, you're f**king lucky I sell you 40 hours of my time each week" or words to that effect.

Then he sacked me laugh.gif

Well in, a man with principals....I love management, especially when a failed tile salesman becomes a project manager, drops alll the lads money, and gets the subbys in to do the lads work. because they're quicker and can be penalised if they don't reach targets......(nothing to do with the fact that the owner of the subbys took him to maylasia all expences paid to watch the grand prix.6 months earlier). not that i'm bothered. ( i left the firm)

Social source share

I must admit that I agree with Simon's original point, why do some DJ's post up things like "Thanks for letting me DJ". The promoter hasn't let you DJ, he's hired you to do a job of work (No matter how enjoyable it might be), and a good promoter should hire the DJs he thinks will do a good job at his venue, irregardless of what musical genre it might be.

Personally, as I'm not a promoter, I don't have 'my own gig' to fall back on, and can't trade spots with other promoters, so I'm always grateful for any bookings that are offered to me, and I always say thank you to a promoter for booking me, at the time the booking is confirmed, and like Paul, again when I've been paid :ohmy:.

So what is the difference between saying thank you in person or on here afterwards? Apart from one being public of course.

Surely saying thank you at all makes you desperate in some peoples eyes.

Saying thank you in my eyes is just good manners and no big deal. I always say thank you for asking me in a lookback where I have DJ'd and I certainly am not desperate to DJ.

Once again I am just glad I go out to have fun (even though that is not strictly allowed) laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest posstot

From my point of view (being one of the afore mentioned said, desperate d.j's). i would thank any promoter for having me.....As i would enjoy playing some tunes so much, as i don't often get the chance to d.j. As i don't socialise every weekend at different venues....in order to put myself out there, as it were.

I am on at the Hideaway on the 25th of this month(PLUG PLUG PLUG) and i can't thank them enough for having me on. Infact i consider it a privilage and will probably thank them publically when i post up a play list afterwards. I will be worried however if they didn't thank me.....as then you may not have provided the service they were expecting from you.(obviously, this wont happen to me as i provide the goods every time i am on:tumbleweed3: ............................................ or maybe not:lol: )

mike

Social source share