What Is Crossover?

I will if you will :thumbup: .

Pete, you are entitled to your opinion I was just responding, albeit tongue in cheek......when you express opinions in such a manner, you should expect similar in return, its not personal & was intended to be amusing.......as has been said, its all Soul Music innit, two types, good un bad & we all have our own preferences,

I really enjoy your podcasts & you contribute fantastically to this site when being positive, you are also bloody hilarious at times, but you do have very strong opinions on what you like & what you consider to be NS & some times invite similar in response.

I look forward to your Crossover Podcast with bated breath :yes: .

Russ

I might just take you up on that! :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Defining crossover is like knitting fog!

General definition issupposed to be late 60's more funky type stuff, but not to be confused by non soul records that have crossed over and been played on the NS scene like The Ceasers & Tony Galla etc etc..

Always a laugh to see the quarterly debate on here on the merits and definition of crossover, it never fails to bring out the confused and more often the deliberate antagonists.... and more often that not there's a very, very daft response that just sums up how confused some can be....

Funky type stuff..... it most certainly ain't... :ohmy:

The Caesars... non-soul.... are you for real..... laugh.gif

The most apt definition of crossover seems to be : very soulful late 60's, early 70's mid-pace 'proper' soul that Northern die hards can't get their heads around...

I feel much better now...

Social source share

I post fairly regularly on the crossover thread - I'm aware of the definition of crossover as late 60s early 70s but I just read crossover as Soul. Most of the stuff I post wouldn't satisfy even the broadest crossover definition but would all fall within Soul music - my last posts were 2010 CD only releases - contemporary black music. I couldn't care less about genres or the arguments about what record fits what criteria - I'm only interested in if I like the record or not and I think that most of the posters on the crossover thread feel the same that's why it never deteriorates into silly bickering and is simply about music.

Cheers

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

Guest Brett F

I post fairly regularly on the crossover thread - I'm aware of the definition of crossover as late 60s early 70s but I just read crossover as Soul. Most of the stuff I post wouldn't satisfy even the broadest crossover definition but would all fall within Soul music - my last posts were 2010 CD only releases - contemporary black music. I couldn't care less about genres or the arguments about what record fits what criteria - I'm only interested in if I like the record or not and I think that most of the posters on the crossover thread feel the same that's why it never deteriorates into silly bickering and is simply about music.

Cheers

Manus

Manus you nailed it there mate, never seen a bad word or someone slagging someone off on the crossover thread, like you so rightly said................it is simply about the music...

Brett

Social source share

ITs a broad church and Manus and Brett are right -why stoop so low -just let the music do the talking the thread has ran now since Jan 2008 and we were at it way before that -I believe in the music and dont care about the bollox -in my record room the music speaks and thats good enough for me,the idea is to get a good encylapedia of soul music mostly from the genre of 69-75 but also the vast array of stuff that mirrors the magic from the golden period of soul music which is iMho the seventies [please not 6ts purists saying the sixties is the best lol-one mans poison etc.]

Seems to be the most uncontroversial thread on SS because its the music -alot of people want to fight on here etc-mark out turf -i just want to post good tunes and spend most of my time in soul audio source -id rather listen and learn from good souls then slag off a venue dj or all the other bollox whcih i simply cant be arsed with.

BAZ A

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert