Kev Roberts And Richard Searling On Smooth

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Any chance of anyone doing me a recording of the show tonight.

If you've got Sky TV and video recorder you could always tune in and video tape it just for the audio. Channel 0128

Just a thought as that's what I'm hoping to do.

Social source share

I'm listening in too mate and realised I could get it on the proper radio on FM instead of just the internet - which is cool :yes:

Would like to hear a few more unusual things though - rather than just Epitome of Sound, Dobie Gray, Mel Britt, Wilie Mitchell, Judy Street etc.

Let's see how it develops - beats the usual radio whatever :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I'm listening in too mate and realised I could get it on the proper radio on FM instead of just the internet - which is cool :yes:

Would like to hear a few more unusual things though - rather than just Epitome of Sound, Dobie Gray, Mel Britt, Wilie Mitchell, Judy Street etc.

Let's see how it develops - beats the usual radio whatever :lol:

Cheers

Richard

i know wat u mean bud and i agree but as they keep stressing,the tunes are picked by listeners and not by the djs themselves,its making for a enjoyable nostalga trip down memory lane for me

jason

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

i know wat u mean bud and i agree but as they keep stressing,the tunes are picked by listeners and not by the djs themselves,its making for a enjoyable nostalga trip down memory lane for me

jason

Agree with you mate, I don't listen much to Northern oldies nowadays (as good as they are) so it's a nice for an occassional nostalgia trip. I think every track so far I can remember either where I first heard it, mates I knew back then and any one of a miriad of different memories.

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Always nice to hear Mr Searling on the radio...be it playing overplayed oldies tonight :lol:

Northern's a broad church I know but love on a mountain top ffs...have I dropped into a timewarp and gone back to a 70's youth club?

At least Richard said he hates it! lol

My missus liked it, it's the only one she knows.

Lovely girl, shit taste in music (and men) :yes:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Sorry guys and gals but this does nothing for me at all :no:

Queen Of Fools, Time Will Pass You By (OK, yes, great record), Out On The Floor, Do I Love You (Ineed I Do), Unsatisifed, The Snake, What, Tainted Love, Long After Tonight Is All Over, I'm On My Way etc etc etc

For me, this was a real, real missed opportunity

4 hours available of (as Kev and Richard keep saying) national exposure for Northern Soul - so tell it like it is not lke it was

Retrpospective, nostalgic, backward-looking rubbish :lol:

In 4 hours you can do a lot - including, of course, a 1 hour retrospective for the nostalgists and people no longer active - but please, please use 3 hours for how the scene is now and will be in the future. This was 3.5 hours wasted IHVFHO - not just for Northern people now, but also IMO for potential scene recruits

I think the show tells the wider audience nothing real about about real Northern/Rare soul as it is now, or will be in the future

Why thank you - Mr Angry on the other end of the radio :yes::huh::D

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest little glyn

Queen Of Fools, Time Will Pass You By (OK, yes, great record), Out On The Floor, Do I Love You (Ineed I Do), Unsatisifed, The Snake, What, Tainted Love, Long After Tonight Is All Over, I'm On My Way etc etc etc

4 hours available of (as Kev and Richard keep saying) national exposure for Northern Soul - so tell it like it is not lke it was

In 4 hours you can do a lot - including, of course, a 1 hour retrospective for the nostalgists and people no longer active - but please, please use 3 hours for how the scene is now and will be in the future. This was 3.5 hours wasted IHVFHO - not just for Northern people now, but also IMO for potential scene recruits

I think the show tells the wider audience nothing real about about real Northern/Rare soul as it is now, or will be in the future

Richard

Social source share

Jeez...I'm getting more annoyed now....just wrote off the Satfford era in a single sentence...80's didn't exist apparently, Northern Soul wasn't born again until CD's came out in the 90's apparently....gggrrrrr...don't believe Richard believes this at all....for the sake of this soul show methinks!

Never did understand where this theory that the scene died when Wigan closed in 81...I got into the scene in 82 at 18 and I remember if was busy as f*ck!

Hinckley comes to mind 2000+ soul fans!

Social source share

Richard

Spot on...totally missed oppurtunity!....it's time to move on FFS!

God this is painful...can't believe Richard agreed to this

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Guest little glyn

the records chosen for tonights show where all chosen by the listeners who filled a favourites list about a month previous with a chance to win a cd from the up and coming northern soul film( no doubt that will be crap !! when you don,t give things a chance ) a positive response to the boss men at smooth fm could lead to a regular spot that could diversify a little and turn into a bloody good regular show.

Social source share

the records chosen for tonights show where all chosen by the listeners who filled a favourites list about a month previous with a chance to win a cd from the up and coming northern soul film( no doubt that will be crap !! when you don,t give things a chance ) a positive response to the boss men at smooth fm could lead to a regular spot that could diversify a little and turn into a bloody good regular show.

Mate it was sh*t

They played 4 hours of nostalgic, not-very-soulful, out-of-date stuff that I'm not interested in, and is not today's Northern/Rare soul :yes:

I retract that statement slightly as Jack Montgomery - Dearly Beloved comes on :lol: Best record of the night - but a baseline 45 I expect to be hearing from these two innovative and pinnacle DJs of the Northern scene

Richard

Social source share

a positive response to the boss men at smooth fm could lead to a regular spot that could diversify

Ok might forgive them tonight :lol:

Guess it's not soul source members who voted!

can't believe not even one Stafford sound....

Deep breaths....deep breaths....calm....

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Guest little glyn

Mate it was sh*t

They played 4 hours of nostalgic, not-very-soulful, out-of-date stuff that I'm not interested in, and is not today's Northern/Rare soul :yes:

I retract that statement slightly as Jack Montgomery - Dearly Beloved comes on :lol: Best record of the night - but a baseline 45 I expect to be hearing from these two innovative and pinnacle DJs of the Northern scene

Richard

sh*t in YOUR opinion as i previously stated the records played where all chosen by listeners up to 4 weeks previous surely 4 hours of sounds yes mostly classics cant be that sh*t

Social source share

Mate it was sh*t

Richard

What? People who listen to Smooth Radio voted for what "Northern Soul" they like, not what you like? Surely you're not surprised!

Not very soulful - bit harsh.

Social source share

Always nice to hear Mr Searling on the radio...be it playing overplayed oldies tonight :lol:

Northern's a broad church I know but love on a mountain top ffs...have I dropped into a timewarp and gone back to a 70's youth club?

At least Richard said he hates it! lol

He is right To Hate it!! a bl**dy pop record

Social source share

OK guys - so ...

1) which of the records played by Kev and Richard absolutely knocked your socks off then - and which would you be proud to play to a non-soulie as an exemplar of true Northern Soul?

2) Did you think it was a decent use of 4 hours to showcase today's Northern Soul

3) What would you have played? The same?

Not my thing at all :lol:

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Thank god that's over...time to meditate and calm down I think.

Whatever is your genre these days ...go into a dark room and play your favourite sounds.

I'm sitting with a beer in a darkened room playing a few 60's Stafford and modern tunes....oooooohhh...peace at last

Social source share

There's little point raising objections if the format of the progamme is based on requests from listeners, I mean

what else are KR & RS supposed to do or say on a programme of this type?

"Yes, I played this in 1976. It took a while to take off, but by the end of that hot summer it was one of the biggest sounds in the country."

You'd have to be pretty inventive to make four hours of that interesting AND hold the listeners, but that's what they had to do and probably

did well under the circumstances.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Guest little glyn

There's little point raising objections if the format of the progamme is based on requests from listeners, I mean

"Yes, I played this in 1976. It took a while to take off, but by the end of that hot summer it was one of the biggest sounds in the country."

You'd have to be pretty inventive to make four hours of that interesting AND hold the listeners, but that's what they had to do and probably

thanks for the reply macca

just what i was trying to say but you explained it spot on just shows what a good education does !!

Social source share

Exactly mate - the whole premise of the programme was wrong - would go far as to say it was even a bag of shite

They should have worked on it properly - planned, scripted, researched it - in fact they could/should have done the (first) best 4 hour Northern Soul show on the radio ever that we could have all been proud of - including of course a 1 hour slot for sounds requested by listeners :yes:

Did they even play the worst ever Northern record as promised anyway? - maybe I missed it :lol:

Failed to step up to the plate IMO

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

True enough I guess...my mistake for listening really...just was a bit more hopeful when I saw RS was on the show.

Didn't like when he glanced over the 80's in a sentence as if the scene was dead then...that's an urban myth...was a really happening transforming decade on the scene...very bouyant time...rictic revue,,,hinckley allnighters...Rotherham Clifton hall...and even more important Stafford TOTW ...and also Leicester oddfellows very popular too etc.

If it wasn't for the 80's/TOTW/100 Club scene at the time it wouldn't be around today IMHO....apart from in a 70's singlet vest baggy trousers kinda way!

if the scene is to survive it just has to look forward...respect the past...but move forward...I mean I'm a big Stafford TOTW fan/collector but even that was 25 years ago ffs!

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert