Gwen Owens White Demos

Simon T

Does anyone know if the white demos of Gwen Owens' Wanted & Needed 'jump' like some of the issues do?

I've seen two types of issue what I'd describe as "narrow groove, high volume 'jumpers' " and "wide groove, low volume, but play through fine'" copies.

Do white demos of both type exist?

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Does anyone know if the white demos of Gwen Owens' Wanted & Needed 'jump' like some of the issues do?

I've seen two types of issue what I'd describe as "narrow groove, high volume 'jumpers' " and "wide groove, low volume, but play through fine'" copies.

Do white demos of both type exist?

The white demo i have does not jump. I doubt if a white demo of the other press exists. Anyone know of any other copies? Asked this before to no avail

Social source share

Mick H's WDJ doesn't jump.

Carl Fortnum has 2 WDJ's so i,ve been told or did have !! ??? & an acetate of it ??, had one of them in my hand, was EX++ best copy i have seen but played slightly off centre with no jumps, all others i have seen have been vg at the most, the one that sold on ebay was a roughish copy but no idea who has it or how it plays , maybe Mark Speakman springs to mind ???

Ian.

Social source share

Carl Fortnum has 2 WDJ's so i,ve been told or did have !! ??? & an acetate of it ??, had one of them in my hand, was EX++ best copy i have seen but played slightly off centre with no jumps, all others i have seen have been vg at the most, the one that sold on ebay was a roughish copy but no idea who has it or how it plays , maybe Mark Speakman springs to mind ???

Ian.

I bought the Ebay one. It was M- and not off centred and has no jump.

This was a few days after she appeared at Prestatyn. She brought 5 issues with her. 3 of one press and 2 of the other. None of them jumped. I believe this was the first moment that anyone realised it had been made several times.

Social source share

This was a few days after she appeared at Prestatyn. She brought 5 issues with her. 3 of one press and 2 of the other. None of them jumped. I believe this was the first moment that anyone realised it had been made several times.

what do you mean by that "made several times"......:)

Rob.

Social source share

There are 2 presses of the record. those that have the jump and those that don't supposedly :hatsoff2: Can't remember which one came 1st at the moment but would imagine that the jumpy one had a pressing flaw so it was repressed says Sherlock :)

I bid on that WDJ on ebay and was happy to be outbid, put a scan up Pete please because the one i bid on was G/VG at most. label was very dirty so would like to see this minter ??

Ian.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

john phillips has one. that didnt jump as far as i recall. i remember him buying it early 90`s

dave

I can confirm that John Philips' copy doesn't jump, he's played it a few times at the Australian weekender. The recent 121 quid bootleg sales blurb never mentioned that it wasn't an original so you can't help thinking that this helped it to reach 121 quid. Bit naughty I thought.

Cheers..........Pete

Social source share

Mint - my arse Pedro. It was G+/VG

I was second highest if you remember.

Certainly a toughie on W/D but they are around, just hard to prize off people. Great record, has it all. Big fat messy Northern Soul pounder! Luv it.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Carl Fortnum has 2 WDJ's so i,ve been told or did have !! ??? & an acetate of it ??, had one of them in my hand, was EX++ best copy i have seen but played slightly off centre with no jumps,

As far as I'm aware, Carl has 'only' one WD...came via Shifty :no:

I am green with envy as this one still eludes me on a WD....Carl if you're reading this you know I deserve the chance to own it too! yes.gif

:lol:

Social source share

You lot must have good jobs, whines the poor teacher. This is one of my favourite sounds ever, as Dave says, it lacks nothing. G+/VG sounds unplayable though. If a minter is 2,500 pounds, are we talking 50-75% less for a beat up copy for a wall-mount then?

Social source share

out of interest..please correct me when I am wrong, but so there are

WDs jumping

WDs off center

WDs playing thru fine

Issues jumping and off center (first rel.)

Issues not jumping (sec. rel.)

?

If that is correct, obviously the non jumping later released issues would be the one most desirable ?

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

You lot must have good jobs, whines the poor teacher. This is one of my favourite sounds ever, as Dave says, it lacks nothing. G+/VG sounds unplayable though. If a minter is 2,500 pounds, are we talking 50-75% less for a beat up copy for a wall-mount then?

Think that demo was off-centre as well......

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Ian.

Sorry Ian, don't own a copy, but if I did you could bet it would be a jumper.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Ian.

i sold mick my issue about 7 years ago....a really bad copy that deteriorated and hissed badly about 1 and half minutes in.

Social source share

out of interest..please correct me when I am wrong, but so there are

WDs jumping

WDs off center

WDs playing thru fine

Issues jumping and off center (first rel.)

Issues not jumping (sec. rel.)

?

If that is correct, obviously the non jumping later released issues would be the one most desirable ?

Marc

Obviously too hard a nut to crack so I inquired with a dealer. He knows about

WDs off-center and jumping

WDs not jumping

plus

Issues jumping

issues non jumping

Some of these issues are distorted soundwise. Non jumping issues seem to be the rarer form though non of the mentioned releases is obviously easy to get by..

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

only one copy i heard did actually jump but most just hissed, wowed and fluttered -like they were going to jump but didnt.

mine didnt jump but 30 seconds into the disc and you began to wonder if it was worth it, it sounded like loud" white noise". and actually some lyrical content is lost to general play back, most likel;y phased out by the noise content-i spent hours with that record trying to come up with a magic solution to cure it. mainly to get my £55 outlay back-what a prat

chalky were they from different masters/stamps/die's etc I never saw one of those from Gwen herself, and the promo's never made an entrance early on either did they?

and what was the barnfathers "secret sound" played at wolverhampton last week

Gwen Owens brought a small batch of this over with here when she came to Prestatyn, sure they were all ones that didn't jump.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

i thought you were a "half full" man mark

its only me that has jumper's (and water damaged) of most discs (call me filler)

Sorry Ian, don't own a copy, but if I did you could bet it would be a jumper.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

As far as I'm aware, Carl has 'only' one WD...came via Shifty :ohmy:

I am green with envy as this one still eludes me on a WD....Carl if you're reading this you know I deserve the chance to own it too! :yes:

:no:

Come on Terry Rider, he had a White demo as i got his "Jumper"--thumbsup.gif

Gwen bought 5 copies to Prestatyn all re-called off aunts, uncles friends and cousins LOL

Rob

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert