Melvin Brown - Leith Fm

soulmac

Melvin Brown

The legendary U.S. soul singer

is appearing live on Clarky's Soul City on

Sunday 22nd August 12 - 2pm on Leith FM 98.8 or listen

on line at www.leithfm.co.uk

Catch Melvin's live show during the Edinburgh fringe festival

3rd to 30th August at the Bongo club, New St, Edinburgh.

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Melvin Brown

The legendary U.S. soul singer

is appearing live on Clarky's Soul City on

Sunday 22nd August 12 - 2pm on Leith FM 98.8 or listen

on line at www.leithfm.co.uk

Catch Melvin's live show during the Edinburgh fringe festival

3rd to 30th August at the Bongo club, New St, Edinburgh.

John give me ring if you are going through.. wouldn't seeing him myself :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Hi Phillys,

Go and see the show as you will enjoy it,

We saw it in Edinburgh last week and it is really good,

Melvyn show goes through the various times from the slaves right up to modern day and it is well worth seeing.

He is described as "Movin Melvin Brown" and his voice is still superb.

After his show there are some CDs for sale and he comes out to have a chat with anyone who wants to talk to him and he is really nice bloke.

I was there with Phil & Sheilah Ross and after the show I said to Phil there is a guy called Melvin Brown who sang "Loves Stromy Weather "

but that cant be the same guy as there is no way he would be here in Edinburgh.

So Phil goes out and asks him and I expected him to say "no that is another Melvin Brown" but he said "yes thats me but how do you know

that record" which completely blew him away.

I still thought this cant be him so I asked what label was "Love stormy Weather" on and straight away he says Philmore and then he said it also came

out on Grapevine a couple of years ago as well but he was amazed that anybody knew it especially in Edinburgh.

So we got our picture taken and autographs done as you do and spoke to him for a while about some of the acts that he had worked with

which is a whos who of soul music including, Marvin Gaye, Isley Brothers (who he was at school with 3 of them), Smokey Robinson, James Brown,

Stevie Wonder when he was Little, Four Tops, Temptations,BB King, Archie Bell as he lived in Texas and the list is endless.

Reluctantly we said goodbye as he was still soaking with sweat from doing his show and we left to go home.

As we were going to get a Taxi Phil said lets go in that pub for a drink before we go home so we went inside & I went to the toilet.

when I got back Phil says you arent going to believe whos at the bar so I go and look and theres Melvin having a cup of tea.

So I thought I dont want him to think we are stalking him but when can you get a chance to talk to some one like him.

I appologised for doing his head in but you could tell he was really enjoying talking about some of the acts he had known and was surprised by the

amount of things we knew which he wasnt expecting.

I even asked about one of my favourites the TSU Toronadoes as he lived in Texas at the same time they were on the go and he knew them as well and

I asked him if he could remember Cal Thomas who wrote and sang lead vocal from the TSU which he said he did so that made my night.

I could ramble on even more but enjoy his show and if anybody doesnt know "Loves Stormy Weather" have a listen on Refosoul as I am sure it is on there

and you will see what a talent he is.

Back to work now unfortunately

Keith

John give me ring if you are going through.. wouldn't seeing him myself :lol:

Social source share

Hi Phillys,

Go and see the show as you will enjoy it,

We saw it in Edinburgh last week and it is really good,

Melvyn show goes through the various times from the slaves right up to modern day and it is well worth seeing.

He is described as "Movin Melvin Brown" and his voice is still superb.

After his show there are some CDs for sale and he comes out to have a chat with anyone who wants to talk to him and he is really nice bloke.

I was there with Phil & Sheilah Ross and after the show I said to Phil there is a guy called Melvin Brown who sang "Loves Stromy Weather "

but that cant be the same guy as there is no way he would be here in Edinburgh.

So Phil goes out and asks him and I expected him to say "no that is another Melvin Brown" but he said "yes thats me but how do you know

that record" which completely blew him away.

I still thought this cant be him so I asked what label was "Love stormy Weather" on and straight away he says Philmore and then he said it also came

out on Grapevine a couple of years ago as well but he was amazed that anybody knew it especially in Edinburgh.

So we got our picture taken and autographs done as you do and spoke to him for a while about some of the acts that he had worked with

which is a whos who of soul music including, Marvin Gaye, Isley Brothers (who he was at school with 3 of them), Smokey Robinson, James Brown,

Stevie Wonder when he was Little, Four Tops, Temptations,BB King, Archie Bell as he lived in Texas and the list is endless.

Reluctantly we said goodbye as he was still soaking with sweat from doing his show and we left to go home.

As we were going to get a Taxi Phil said lets go in that pub for a drink before we go home so we went inside & I went to the toilet.

when I got back Phil says you arent going to believe whos at the bar so I go and look and theres Melvin having a cup of tea.

So I thought I dont want him to think we are stalking him but when can you get a chance to talk to some one like him.

I appologised for doing his head in but you could tell he was really enjoying talking about some of the acts he had known and was surprised by the

amount of things we knew which he wasnt expecting.

I even asked about one of my favourites the TSU Toronadoes as he lived in Texas at the same time they were on the go and he knew them as well and

I asked him if he could remember Cal Thomas who wrote and sang lead vocal from the TSU which he said he did so that made my night.

I could ramble on even more but enjoy his show and if anybody doesnt know "Loves Stormy Weather" have a listen on Refosoul as I am sure it is on there

and you will see what a talent he is.

Back to work now unfortunately

Keith

Brilliant keith... Sandra was telling me all about it.... Mr McD is woking but he is maybe going to Bonnyrigg... Mmmm wonder if Melvin will pop in... one never knows... Paul Clarke might bring him along....... :lol: if not will listen to the show anyway... :( Am off round to yours now... Sandra has the kettle on.. promise I will only look at the record room... :D:yes:

Edited by Philly
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert