Whats Occuring In 2010 - Did You Dj At Weekend?

Mike

just a shout for anyone to pass on a sort of snapshot whats going on in 2010 view

did you dj during the last couple of weekends ?

if ya did how about throwing up 3 of the interesting tracks you played ?

along with a few words on each track...

could be how they went down, why you played, risks that paid off, ones that didnt go as well as thought etc etc or whatever

sure that with a few words could be an interesting thing

could even drop a refosoul link into it all

Edited by mike
bit reworded
Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

laughing here laugh.gif

didnt someone once say give soul source a shake and 3 djs complete with play boxes at the ready will fall out

maybe not shaking hard enough laugh.gif

anyone wanna kick some life into this sinking thread

come on...

you know you wanna ...biggrin.gif

Social source share

laughing here laugh.gif

didnt someone once say give soul source a shake and 3 djs complete with play boxes at the ready will fall out

maybe not shaking hard enough laugh.gif

anyone wanna kick some life into this sinking thread

come on...

you know you wanna ...biggrin.gif

I'll send you one in the morning Mike telling you how I fell on my as* with plan B and hopefully one Sunday with maybe a better report sticking with the oldies!! Atb John have a good weekend!! just watch there will be a Bl**dy landslide of replies now!! :lol::D:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

loving this thread biggrin.gif

i give it to tuesday before admitting defeat wink.gif

Hi Mike

As I'm out in Baghdad right now havnt DJ'd since the last Bank Holiday when I was playing a few in the Modern Room at the Brighton Beach Nighter.......upstairs was very busy, but down in the Modern Room wasnt particularly busy at all, even though all the previous DJ's had played a blinder.........I said to Jenny 'looks like me & you' laughing & thought at least I can play just what I want, which is exactly what I did....................the handful of people who were in there were having a dance & enjoying things a few meandered through from t'other room, I'm thinking curiosity more than anything.................all of a sudden HUGE influx from upstairs & the suckas going down big time..........as I was flowing with my slightly obscure crossover & modern thang & I just couldnt alter things without the set becoming disjointed I carried on in the same vein & no matter what was laid down the scary stary people danced thier funky damn asses off & whooped it up big time..........a nice round of applause at the end & crowd gave me a great vibe.............a reall y satisfying set from a DJ's point of view particuarly as at no point was there any compromise between what I wanted to play & what I played...........

Few from me.......

Mary J Blige - Never Too Much.......monster version of the Luther classic, the tribute LP contains some great covers & gained a limited vinyl release too for the vinyl junkies.

Relatives LP - Great LP on Heavey Light - the unissued cuts are as stunning as the issued material & well worth an airing.

Al Green - Eveything is OK - Ashley Beadle remix of this great track from a couple of years ago - added a new lease of life to what is already a great track.

Scott Three - Running Wild..........championed by Steve G, from the deep south this obscure funky crossover (?) dancer went down da bomb & the dancers didnt miss a beat !.

Step By Step - Always wanted to be in the Band - Chicago group dancer from the Brunswick LP, sounds a bit light weight at home & the LP certainly contains far more soulful tracks, but when the floor is going, fitted into the right place, through a big system this is a dancers delight - many thx to Paul McKay for turning me on to this last year.

Smoke - Sunshine, Roses & Rainbows - another LP track this classic album, known by many, but doesnt seem to get the plays it deserves IMHO, feel good soul that never fails for me........

Marquito - Around Love - recentish release that has a huge vocal & is singalong, hands in the air dance floor friendly soul for the happy clappy people........

Just a taster of eclectic set that seemed to hit all the right notes for a great crowd. Just couldnt put a foot wrong..............later found out, that one of the meandering souls, passed through, heard what he liked & legged it upstairs & told the world lol...............& down they came en masse, think it was a crowd from Northampton way & they were souled up to f*ck !!!........thanks who ever you were.......turned what might have been a tedious time behind the decks into an adventure...........great time I had & just goes to show ya always play like the room is throbbing.........

Russ Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

This looks like a cracking idea for a thread - don't DJ myself but would love to see what was played, refo link and how they went down at the venue.

C'mon Djs - crack on:lol:

Social source share

Didn't Dj over the weekend but went to Llandudno Rugby club Friday, didn't really enjoy it, too many oldies and hardly any real records played, but that's my personel view, the place was busy as usual and people seem to be enjoying themselves so I guess that's the important thing. Saturday night went to Broughton Wings, completely different night with a complete across the board music policy with something for everyone whether you like a few Motown Classics to northern classic with some modern soul and not forgetting the early spots full of great crossover and then Sams rare items thrown into the mix, danced myself silly and I was driving so couldn't blame the cheap booze, which normally fuels my wings at Broughton.

Social source share

I dj'd at home to rapturous applause( and a bottle of red) from the missus.Had no trouble filling the floor,no talc needed at Shatto Holmes.Dancefloor pure laminate.

She commented "If you play stuff people want ,you'll be famous one day".

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Didn't Dj over the weekend but went to Llandudno Rugby club Friday, didn't really enjoy it, too many oldies and hardly any real records played, but that's my personel view, the place was busy as usual and people seem to be enjoying themselves so I guess that's the important thing. Saturday night went to Broughton Wings, completely different night with a complete across the board music policy with something for everyone whether you like a few Motown Classics to northern classic with some modern soul and not forgetting the early spots full of great crossover and then Sams rare items thrown into the mix, danced myself silly and I was driving so couldn't blame the cheap booze, which normally fuels my wings at Broughton.

Mike - try to help you 'kick start' things with a threesome from me.

Broughton was a bit quiet crowd-wise, so for all of us it was a 'safer' set than usual.

Played a few things that hadn't had an airing for some time - and they all had decent dancefloor reaction. Here you go:

The Originals - Don't Stop Now

The Four Tops - Don't Bring Back Memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKh1sHagqU

John Edwards - Ain't That Good Enough

Brian :thumbup:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

I must say I am a little shocked that not many have chosen to put up three from last weekend ?

You kind of get the impression that there are loads of Dj's /players on this forum when you look at opinions on other threads .... yet hardly anyone is prepared to show us their plays ?

I don't think of myself as a DJ , I just like to collect records within my means which perhaps is why I may play things that other people may discount because they are cheap

I do however get asked to spin/share my taste on occasion , this being the Wellingborough dayer so from my little box of tricks I offered the following three within the two sets I put together .

Willy McDougal - Don't turn away

I simply had to play this because his voice makes me go all weak at the knees and I was asked to play some R&B , but had left the records behind in another box as this session was supposed to be "Chill out ", so I thought I would select something with a bit of poke.

People danced

Cody Black - Going Going Gone

Now I selected this because its a fantastic record to dance to but most won't play it because its very cheap? a great 10.00 record that can quite happily play back to back with a 100000.00 record.

People danced

The Sensations - I've been hurt

Now I just simply adore this sound and I was just pampering myself on this one really

People didn't dance - They didn't know it ?

The tune that did it for me over the weekend was played by Ted Massey sung by Clarence Townsend I found a new love awesome record that sadly I shall never own as its a bloody expensive one.

Carms

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Hi SS

Here are 3 tunes from my set last Saturday at 'The Buff Club' Glasgow.

Had to play 'Dee Edwards - Why Cant There Be Love' as a tribute to Hermon Weems

Freddy Scott 'I'll be Gone' - going down a storm on the floor esp. the drum breaks towards the end.

Mr Floods Party 'Compared to What' -also becoming a bit of an anthem over the last few weeks.

Thanks to KevH and Steve Plumb for supplying the last two to me.

Cheers

Nick.

Social source share

Hi SS

Here are 3 tunes from my set last Saturday at 'The Buff Club' Glasgow.

Freddy Scott 'I'll be Gone' - going down a storm on the floor esp. the drum breaks towards the end.

Thanks to KevH and Steve Plumb for supplying the last two to me.

Cheers

Nick.

Told kevH to keep hold of this one. Price is creeping up on ebay although still a cheapie. Wonderful record that seems to have overlooked for a long time.

By the way KevH I didn't see a flier for this event:-

"I dj'd at home to rapturous applause( and a bottle of red) from the missus.Had no trouble filling the floor,no talc needed at Shatto Holmes.Dancefloor pure laminate.

She commented "If you play stuff people want ,you'll be famous one day".

Let me know when you're havin another - I'm available to dj

Sorry i can't contribute as I was away at V festival all weekend, so not much northern soul there. Needed a soul fix quickly upon return early hours of Monday morning, opted for the more mellow David Hudson - Royal Sessions lp to unwind to. That worked.

Social source share

I must say I am a little shocked that not many have chosen to put up three from last weekend ?

You kind of get the impression that there are loads of Dj's /players on this forum when you look at opinions on other threads .... yet hardly anyone is prepared to show us their plays ?

I don't think of myself as a DJ , I just like to collect records within my means which perhaps is why I may play things that other people may discount because they are cheap

I do however get asked to spin/share my taste on occasion , this being the Wellingborough dayer so from my little box of tricks I offered the following three within the two sets I put together .

Willy McDougal - Don't turn away

I simply had to play this because his voice makes me go all weak at the knees and I was asked to play some R&B , but had left the records behind in another box as this session was supposed to be "Chill out ", so I thought I would select something with a bit of poke.

People danced

Cody Black - Going Going Gone

Now I selected this because its a fantastic record to dance to but most won't play it because its very cheap? a great 10.00 record that can quite happily play back to back with a 100000.00 record.

People danced

The Sensations - I've been hurt

Now I just simply adore this sound and I was just pampering myself on this one really

People didn't dance - They didn't know it ?

The tune that did it for me over the weekend was played by Ted Massey sung by Clarence Townsend I found a new love awesome record that sadly I shall never own as its a bloody expensive one.

Carms

Hi Carms.RE: Sensations,do you mean "I won't hurt you"?.If so,i agree,great track.If its not that one,ignore me.:tumbleweed3:

Social source share

I went to an all dayer in Manchester at the weekend. It was a 12pm-2am shindig run by the lads who promote Beat Boutique. Free entry and placed upstairs in a popular bar in Chorlton you'd think this might be a disaster for random drunks and passing skallies, but it certainly wasnt.

I did a spot early doors and just played across the board stuff, but to be honest the approach taken by the promoters was 'play what you like' so didnt feel compelled to play to rule, which is always refreshing. They put on a wide range of DJ's all playing their own styles, many of whom DJ across teh different sectors of the scene today.

Atmosphere was great all day. Plenty of young ens and older ens getting into the groove. Dancing, finger tapping, chin stroking a plenty. It was a great warm up for many who then went on to the Greatstones. For me, the music was of the upmost quality. Something in it for every soul fan. Even those who didnt perhaps know the tunes enjoyed it.

Personally, i think promoters should put more of these types of events on in popular areas. The music took centre stage and there was a real buzz about the place. All teh DJ's seemed to have a blast and enjoyed playing the free raine. More all day, open minded and genuine across the board soul sessions for 2010 / 2011 please :tumbleweed3:

Azza

Social source share

Hi Carms.RE: Sensations,do you mean "I won't hurt you"?.If so,i agree,great track.If its not that one,ignore me.:lol:

Its I won't be hurt , best buy of the year for me from Micky one eye :thumbsup: ... the Don

Now this thread is looking much better ... come on don't be shy there must have been more players last weekend ?

Social source share

I went to an all dayer in Manchester at the weekend. It was a 12pm-2am shindig run by the lads who promote Beat Boutique. Free entry and placed upstairs in a popular bar in Chorlton you'd think this might be a disaster for random drunks and passing skallies, but it certainly wasnt.

I did a spot early doors and just played across the board stuff, but to be honest the approach taken by the promoters was 'play what you like' so didnt feel compelled to play to rule, which is always refreshing. They put on a wide range of DJ's all playing their own styles, many of whom DJ across teh different sectors of the scene today.

Atmosphere was great all day. Plenty of young ens and older ens getting into the groove. Dancing, finger tapping, chin stroking a plenty. It was a great warm up for many who then went on to the Greatstones. For me, the music was of the upmost quality. Something in it for every soul fan. Even those who didnt perhaps know the tunes enjoyed it.

Personally, i think promoters should put more of these types of events on in popular areas. The music took centre stage and there was a real buzz about the place. All teh DJ's seemed to have a blast and enjoyed playing the free raine. More all day, open minded and genuine across the board soul sessions for 2010 / 2011 please :thumbsup:

Azza

Now I have been to this venue and sampled it for myself , and I agree I bet you had an absolute ball of a time with those young uns ..no chains , no baggage , no hangups and no moans !... Just good dancing music is all that is required. When I was there last Iheard Betty Harrisis mean man for the first time in yonks and had to go out get one ! Those kids loved it so much to watch them hear it for what might have been their first time was so great to see.

Carms

Social source share

Kev do you mean the great track "I Won't Be Hurt" ? :thumbsup:

Had two of these in sales for about a month ,NM issue and a EX demo

only just sold the issue this week for a bargain £15

Even posted the soundclip to induce a sale:(

Brill double sider:thumbsup:

P.s Is it just me or does the vocalist sound a tad like Willie Tee on "i won't be hurt" ??

Social source share

Had two of these in sales for about a month ,NM issue and a EX demo

only just sold the issue this week for a bargain £15

Even posted the soundclip to induce a sale:(

Brill double sider:thumbsup:

P.s Is it just me or does the vocalist sound a tad like Willie Tee on "i won't be hurt" ??

I thought the same Nev I said it sounded very Willie Teesk to my ears, you sold very cheap .

Social source share

:rolleyes: src=" thumbsup.gif">
Overlooked for being too cheap but an instant hit to these ears:yes:

I have just uploaded it in refo soul also it appears as my last played clip should anyone like to hear it. Its all clear now there were two groups with the same name . I heard another sensations track and thought they sound so different on this track ?

Also noticed one up on ebay for a staggering 10.00 dollars.... it sounds so much more expensive dont you think ?

If you have any others in your sales box like this with a great price tag please let me know
I noticed you put up the Clarence Towsend thats tickeling my fancy at the moment ... I like your ears mate !
Edited by Carms
Social source share

big thanks to Steve Cato and James Trouble for lettin us into Soul Revolution and Soul or Nothing.The upstairs must have been a former opium den,love the decor!!

Lots of luvvly people in attendance,all there for a party.

Managed to catch some of everyone's spot downstairs,Val Palmer(sorry Val),Karl Heard,JT,and Mick H,all keeping the tempo up and the dancefloor busy.

Back upstairs in the Soul or Nothing Room,the 3 of us from the Attic,were let loose and we really enjoyed it!!.

Bumped into Ady upstairs,had a chat based on my non-attendance of the 100 club(12 years ago),and the benefits of wine drinking.

Said i wasn't going to do this,,,,,,,,,,,but here's some of the buffoonery that was my spot in Soul or Nothing.....

I CAN'T SAY- BETTY EVERETT - ABC

EVERY HOUR,EVERY DAY - G.L. CROCKETT - 4 BROTHERS

LISTEN TO ME - ESQUIRES - STATESIDE

GIRL FROM A COUNTRY TOWN - LEE WILLIAMS - RAPDA

TELL ME WHO - 5 STAIRSTEPS - BUDDAH

SWEET WAY OF LIVING - PEGGY GAINES - REF*O*REE

STAY AWAY FROM ME - PATTI JO - SCEPTER

I'M A BELIEVER - IDRIS MUHAMMAD - PRESTIGE

I'VE NEVER LOVED NOBODY - ORTHEIA BARNES - CORAL

I WON'T BE HURT - SENSATIONS - WAY OUT

LOOK AWAY - SHIRELLES - SCEPTER

I'M GONNA DO IT BY MYSELF - JIMMY ELLIE - JEWEL

YOUR'E THE BOSS - J.RICKS & L.BAKER - ATLANTIC.

Once again,thanks to Steve Cato and James Trouble,we'll have to do it again :rolleyes:

(from March 2008..)....Kev.:lol:

maintaining my cool............

Edited by KevH
Social source share

just a shout for anyone to pass on a sort of snapshot whats going on in 2010 view

did you dj during the last couple of weekends ?

if ya did how about throwing up 3 of the interesting tracks you played ?

along with a few words on each track...

could be how they went down, why you played, risks that paid off, ones that didnt go as well as thought etc etc or whatever

sure that with a few words could be an interesting thing

could even drop a refosoul link into it all

Here's three that I played at Rhythm Shack, St.Helens a couple of weekends back;

Tiny Topsy - After Marriage Blues

Estelle Brown - Stick Close

Mickey Denton - Now I'm Mr. Blue

And people danced, as Carms would say. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Played a few tunes last saturday's Motte allnighter but 4 records I particually enjoyed playing were....

1. Albert Esberido Roar of the crowd

Great dancer and a little faster then the Roar of the Crowd by the Grand Prixs!!!! When I played it in my first spot 2 people danced but I played it again and hurray, around 15 people were dancing to it!!! I think it has great potential and will hopefully feature on more peoples playlists !!!!

2. Voltaires My My Baby

Killer of a record and it was requested over and over again!!!!

3. Voltaires Movin On

Hamburg Anthem and always enjoyed by many on the dance floor but this time My My Baby got the laurel wreath!!!!

4. Carltons Ooh Baby

This is soooo fantastic!!!!

Frigging excellent tune!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY5ZHpSMivU

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Real shame that this topic is not used by the more regular well known DJ'S or by more small part timers like me. It would be great to get back talking about soul reords on soul source. Anyway, Dean Parrish and Tommy Hunt played a fantastic show in Hamburg in front of 500 people on saturday and the aftershow party was a proper allnighter which was frigging great. People were dancing between the shows but once the gig finished the floor stayed busy with hundreds of sweaty souls until 6 in the morning. Mark Forrest played as always a fantastic set!!! Right, one track I played but wasn't sure how it would go down was, JAde Siesta is Over RDL. I have to say I played it three times and it went down a storm!!!! So, it's me over and out and over to you guys!!! :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert