Dj's Playing For Themselves

Yes he does Karen, you would be suprised, try it if it fit's he will play it. And that does hold him back LOL.

Butch is better now than ever IMO. he certainly is the number 1 rare soul DJ. When/If He leaves the scene - we will really have to re-evaluate it all from the 100 Club upwards...there can't be any imataters.

Could go on for longer, but won't - suffice to say this is not some sycophantic out burst; but what i think - i don't even think the guy likes me LOL

If you don't mind me asking Dave, what gives you the impression Butch dose'nt like you.

actually that was wrong of me to say that, i retract that statment and apologise...what i was trying to say was that he is not my 'mate' so me bigging him up is purely on his DJ ability and not just a mate blowing smoke up somewhere where smoke shouldn't be - does that make sense?

Social source share

I,ve said this before......dj,s have to know what type of music is played at a venue they may be asked to play at and if.....it,s not their taste or style.............they should decline.....once you have a club where guest dj,s and resident dj,s are playing from the same hymn sheet and it,s the sound the attendees want ya got a great night/nighter.......when the styles are up and down and sets are played at opposites it becomes disjointed peggy babcock

p.s butch always plays your request as long as that request is proper

Social source share

Dead right Terry

A dj can always tactfully decline a booking if he knows his box won't please the people there. You don't have to say yes everytime you are asked. Just as the promoter will know what a dj plays, it's odds on the dj will know about the crowd he's being asked to play to.

See you at Lifeline.

Social source share

actually that was wrong of me to say that, i retract that statment and apologise...what i was trying to say was that he is not my 'mate' so me bigging him up is purely on his DJ ability and not just a mate blowing smoke up somewhere where smoke shouldn't be - does that make sense?

For what it is worth Dave ..... i took it as tongue in cheek ,a kind of poking fun at yourself ,rather than anything derogitary about Butch

however i did think the guy who posted the remark about Butch not suffering fools gladly a bit snidy to say the least

Unless of course he was speaking from his own personal experience's??

P.s ,never met Dave so i'm not blowing smoke where smoke should'nt be blown:no:

Social source share

For what it is worth Dave ..... i took it as tongue in cheek ,a kind of poking fun at yourself ,rather than anything derogitary about Butch

however i did think the guy who posted the remark about Butch not suffering fools gladly a bit snidy to say the least

Unless of course he was speaking from his own personal experience's??

P.s ,never met Dave so i'm not blowing smoke where smoke should'nt be blown:no:

it was meant exactly like that, Nev; but I can see how it could be read the other way so i thought best apologise any way...

P.S never met Nev; but he's great! :-)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Dead right Terry

A dj can always tactfully decline a booking if he knows his box won't please the people there. You don't have to say yes everytime you are asked. Just as the promoter will know what a dj plays, it's odds on the dj will know about the crowd he's being asked to play to.

See you at Lifeline.

hello davey boy...........you surely will mate:thumbsup: :lol:

Social source share

Fair play Mark.....but upon reading your post ,thats how it came across to me .

The thead is called "DJ'S PLAYING TO THEMSELVES"

And unless i'm mistaken the question being asked is :-

"What's wrong with playing something you like and believe in and think needs a bit of exposure, or reactivating or whatever.??"

I just don't see any relevance in your's or Mossy's post's regarding the original question??

No axe to grinde but unless your replying to the said question ,why post your thoughts on how you feel about the scene right now?

Best

Nev

And fair enough from me Nev

Its just when I read these type of threads I sort of get really dissapointed with the whole music / politics thing

I mean the whole oldies DJs vs DJs who play different things is quite depressing for me.

I actually love all sides of the music - I love plenty of oldies but there is nothing like hearing new things - its what keeps it all fresh for me.

The scene just looks so fragmented and politcal when you read these threads.

I happen to be still passionate. I love Soul music and collecting records more so these days.

But the scene politics really grip my shit and I have no desire to go out and be part of it.

Perhaps if there were threads with a real positive and exiting feeling about venues I might be inspired and get out again,

but there never is !

Thats the way I feel anyway.

I just love soul music, and I am happy enjoying music by myself for myself.

no offence meant to anyone !!

M

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!