• Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ive just won a Sunlovers - Ill treat you right on Ebay

What worries me is

The second highest bidder has a feeback of 8

They have made over 500 bids of which 94% of this is with the seller of the Sunlovers. ( Ithink this is very high with one seller)

Any explanations guys

Report it to Ebay and tell them you think you have been shill bidded and would they check out if it's the same person!! I once did this with someone with a couple of expensive watches and they where thrown off Ebay! Atb John :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Social source share

What worries me is

They have made over 500 bids of which 94% of this is with the seller of the Sunlovers. ( Ithink this is very high with one seller)

Any explanations guys

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=AllFeedback&userid=ilikeitlikethat2010&iid=-1&de=off&interval=0&items=50

Social source share

What worries me is

Any explanations guys

This is what happens a lot of the time to people that trot up there own items!! check out this 45 of Jackey Beavers on Ebay ref No 300454686361 was up for over $900 a few days ago I watched the bidding and thought it was being shill bidded or trotted and it's back on at $305 :):lol: teach em to screw around!! what goes around comes around !! 2 lots of Ebay fees Etc and still not sold :yes::lol:

Social source share

I know as a seller you can see the full ID names of the bidding history against your item.

I was wondering as a buyer, how a winning bidder actually knew the IDs of any of the other bidders - all the views I ever use when bidding only show myself and other hidden names like a***f (123) etc.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

I know as a seller you can see the full ID names of the bidding history against your item.

I was wondering as a buyer, how a winning bidder actually knew the IDs of any of the other bidders - all the views I ever use when bidding only show myself and other hidden names like a***f (123) etc.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Mick you can look at the percentage of activity this bidder has had with the seller including the exact number of bids.

BOBA has given me enough info - Cheers BOB

If it is shill because the Seller is a well known Dealer in the US Then I would be dissapointed

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Mick you can look at the percentage of activity this bidder has had with the seller including the exact number of bids.

Its def shill because the Seller is a well known Dealer in the US

One of the best known over here too, I'm surprised but it's well out of order.

Social source share

I'd be careful saying it's "definately" Shill...

Some people tend to bid on trusted sellers auctions only - and this seller is one of the U.S.' top dealers.

You only have look at the bids someone like Seb gets on his auctions to prove this (and the prices John Manships auctions raise are a testament to this).

Social source share

Its def shill because the Seller is a well known Dealer in the US

Thanks for that - I think I've seen the percentages of bids etc.before - I just didn't realise you could extract the exact name from the figures, i thought it was still hidden.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Thanks for that - I think I've seen the percentages of bids etc.before - I just didn't realise you could extract the exact name from the figures, i thought it was still hidden.

Cheers

Mick

You CAN'T extract the exact name from the figures, CAN YOU? If you can, how?

Social source share

I "won" a 45 from this well known dealer for $206 a couple of weeks ago, the mystery bidder had also bid eight times on this 45

but stopped at $115 !! I must have paid to much :wave:

If you look at the 45's the mystery bidder has won, I have checked out a couple they don't seem to have resurfaced on ebay again yet.

George Smith, Significants, Linda lloyd & Deadbeats to name four and they all have marks on the labels which you can easily see.

Careful and keep em peeled unsure.gif

Spook

Social source share

What worries me is

Any explanations guys

Ok, sounds like it might have been shill bidding, BUT you still won the record. So you must have bid high enough and it ended within your price limit? So what aren't you happy about?

Social source share

Ok, sounds like it might have been shill bidding, BUT you still won the record. So you must have bid high enough and it ended within your price limit? So what aren't you happy about?

He's unhappy about the fact that he would have won it at a lower price had it not been for the shill bidding, and I'd have been angry myself - this happens every day with reggae singles, fake bidder bumps up the price, I get offered a second chance but instead of being what I would have won it for, it's a quid less than the fake bidder 'won' it for. If there was no fake bidder, I'd have won it at a way lower price.

Example, outbid on a Tommy McCook record, went for £32, I was offered it at £30, saw that I would have actually won it at £18 so told him I'd pay £18. Whether I bid £18 or £30 is not the issue, I was cheated out of getting it at £18.

He sold it me for £18.

Social source share

I didnt say I was unhappy about the price - but if you found out you could have had it cheaper if it werent for the (Alleged_ Shill bidder) it makes you a bit cross.

I was asking for an explanation to my question.

Spook if you look at the new listings he has Geroge Smith and I think maybe the Significants is listed although Im at work at the moment and cant get access to ebay.

If I am right and maybe BOBA will come on and confirm the seller who to be honest I hadnt worked out who it was until BOBA told me(Thats how thick or uninformed I am at times) its quite dishonest if The link between the bidder with 100% activity with the seller infers some not so honest activity.

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Well, that's what I thought - but the link in an earlier post (going directly to the feedback of an ebay user), must have come from somewhere.

boba but the link up, maybe he can shed some light on it.

Cheers

Mick

Mick you have to be a bit nosey to get the info!

You look at the number of bids with the seller :

Look at their feedback number, Then look at feedback left by the seller to find the corresponding feedback number and then check the number of bids made by that bidder If they match BINGO!biggrin.gif

Social source share

Spook if you look at the new listings he has Geroge Smith and I think maybe the Significants is listed although Im at work at the moment and cant get access to ebay.

The "old" George Smith was a yellow issue but had a small piece of the label missing and label wear , the current stocker for sale looks nearly mint and I can't find a Significants.

Spook

Social source share

hi,can't really see lew doing anthing like that...he knows the prices of soul 45s....as he's offered some of the rarest records on our scene up for auction over the last few decades...surely he'd put a "buy it now" (as he's done with paris at the moment)or a reserve price if he was determined to get a specific price. obviously the other bidder likes to buy off lew due to his good reputation. why not contact lew yourself to clear up the matter...always found him an agreeable guy on the phone..i'm sure he would ease your mind about any "wrong doing"

cheers

franc

Social source share

He's unhappy about the fact that he would have won it at a lower price had it not been for the shill bidding, and I'd have been angry myself - this happens every day with reggae singles, fake bidder bumps up the price, I get offered a second chance but instead of being what I would have won it for, it's a quid less than the fake bidder 'won' it for. If there was no fake bidder, I'd have won it at a way lower price.

Example, outbid on a Tommy McCook record, went for £32, I was offered it at £30, saw that I would have actually won it at £18 so told him I'd pay £18. Whether I bid £18 or £30 is not the issue, I was cheated out of getting it at £18.

He sold it me for £18.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I agree with all you say. We all like a bargain and its nice when we get a win that was no where near our top bid but shill bidding is only effective if a genuine bidder has gone higher,,if its a case of the shill bidder keep chipping away at Ernie's top bid,then thats annoying but THE reason for sniping in last moments.The example you give there Pete...yeah,well out of order, but not the same as in Ernie's case cos he won it anyway so he was prepared to pay the winning price.. Anyways,i don't agree with the practice.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest soulinthebronx

Lou is an old friend of mine, straight arrow, military man who I'm sure would rather you approach him face to face instead of making accusations with speculative evidence behind a computer. We all have big peckers when we type out our frustrations. I say ask the man about it head on.

And I say that if you are willing to pay a price on a record and you are tops when it ends, then pay it! If you don't wanna pay it, then don't put the bid in! But, what do I know? Coming from an old geezer who is new to the technology, but not new soul music.

Cheers!

RJ

"our love used to be only shadows in the past...I see times cna't seem to have erased"

Social source share

He sold it me for £18.

Yup - Happens all the time

The first time I was caught out was with a Jeffery Allen - Dilly Dilly - Mala

I love this tune and have done since the 80s after Stafford and the 100 club.

I see a copy on e bay 5 years ago and get the feeling !!

I look on popsike and see that this 45 has made 1000 dollars in the past.

But mid tempo stafford tunes were not as popular at the time of the auction (and still aren't thankfully as I love em)

So I put a bid on of 400 and went out for the weekend.

I get a "you have been outbid" notice from e bay when I got back, with a e mail from the seller with a "second chance offer"

I really wanted the 45, so I jumped at the offer and paid for the 45..............and I still love it and it stays in my collection

but looking at the bid history it was "well suspect"

one bidder picking up 10 bids to my max bid.

like Pete says - its moody !

I don't feel hard done by as I really wanted the 45, but I think if the shill bidder was not working I may have got the 45 for at least a quarter less than I paid !

The guy was never going to post the 45 out for less than the top highest bidder, in this case it was me !!

A Great 45 and still in my collection = I will never sell it because it is my fav 60s newie 45 from the 80s

peace !

Social source share

He sold it me for £18.

The thing going on with the reggae 45s is a different issue, its not shill bidding, its some neo-nazis apparently based in Mexico. Ebay will only let you make a 2nd chance offer based on the bidder's highest bid. Plus if the seller sells it for much less then he loses out based on the discrepancy between the final value fee and the price it actually sold for.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert