Top Soul Tunes Non Northern Or Rare Soul

Guest JIM BARRY

Guest JIM BARRY

just listen unmistakable

kev

had a look at luther's earliest work on wikepedia and it go's right back to his school day career, tells allabout his out put on cotillion. also credits him with the work for david bowie...no mention of performing with new york city.

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Shattered Glass - Ellie warren

The Little Girl In Me - Judy cheeks

both great tunes IMHO atb john.

Shattered Glass - Ellie Warren, You must live in the Bolton / Farnworth area,

Used to play it at Chuffers in Farnworth went down a storm, But 5 miles away in Bury no one had ever heard it!!

Social source share

had a look at luther's earliest work on wikepedia and it go's right back to his school day career, tells allabout his out put on cotillion. also credits him with the work for david bowie...no mention of performing with new york city.

Hi Jim,

Luther Vandross was a vocalist with a group of session musicians under the name of the New York City Band, recording one album 1n 1979 on the American International Pictures label.This was a music soundtrack( Sunnyside ) and Luther sung lead on a couple of tracks which I have not heard as yet.

Info comes from an excellent Ralph Tee book which I have.

Steve

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

From the outset of my soul journey - Sam & Dave - Soothe Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8JUN085KZA

Then, Odyssey - If You're Looking For A Way Out - still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end - perfect 'ender' but unlikely to 'do the biz' today - too many plays on 'pop-gold' radio stations - but still love it when I hear it, same as the day it was first released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n9boNc8Hsk

Brian :thumbsup:

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

I Love You - Otis Leavill

Sweet Love - Anita Baker

Unbreak My Heart - Toni Braxton

I'll Always Love My Mama - The Intruders

Give Me The Night - George Benson

Car Wash, Wishing On A Star, Love Don't Live Here Anymore, Is It Love You're After, I Want To Get Next To You - Rose Royce

Abraham, Martin, John - Marvin Gaye

Night And Day - Everything But The Girl

Social source share

just listen unmistakable

kev

They sound sort of similar but given Luther would only have been 22 on its release, 73, not sure he was actually that formed as a vocalist yet, and the site below seems pretty definitiive

https://www.funkmysoul.gr/?p=523

He did something with a New York City Band later but I have only seen CD, never heard it, I have no knowledge f them being connected and doubt it to be honest, I just did a quick google but I suspect a bit more time would disprove your theory and its sometimes better to check before theorising!!

Social source share

Another interesting question, and again if you think about, in reality the majority of truly great soul songs are going to have nothing to do with Northern or rare soul, surely only a handful would qualify if you are looking at the overall genre, I think it would be more interesting to compare how many could hold a candle to say Eddie Parker - If You Must Go.....,maybe another EP record but at the moment I can think of no others....

And in my admiittedly mischief filled mood this morning, I am not saying there is no truly great Northern, but thats judging it against other Northern or even other soul dance genres, as some people on here are. but not when judged agains Just Soul.......

Food for thought.

Social source share

not northern but on an album with a northern track on it, both of winter in america gil scot heron two of my fave tracks ever

back home (b side of bottle)

your daddy loves you

a few random tracks

alexander oneil-if you were here tonight

nypa-i aint going to work today

roy hamilton-angelica (not sure if this qualifies as northern)

merry clayton-when the world turns blue

dionne warwick-heartbreaker

billy stewart-temptations bout to get me+every other record he has made apart from that instrumental one

bobby thurston-weve got so much to stay together for

gloria jones-my bad boys coming home

jive five-my true story

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

a few more from me. each day i think of more.

arethe franklin......until you come back to me.

millie jackson......caught up

delfonics.....didn't i blow your mind this time

the manhattans.....there's no me without you

chuck jackson....any day now.........i'm a sucker for ballads....

intruders......win place or show (she's a winner)

billy paul......me and mrs jones

teddy pendergrass....love tko

Social source share

Another interesting question, and again if you think about, in reality the majority of truly great soul songs are going to have nothing to do with Northern or rare soul, surely only a handful would qualify if you are looking at the overall genre, I think it would be more interesting to compare how many could hold a candle to say Eddie Parker - If You Must Go.....,maybe another EP record but at the moment I can think of no others....

And in my admiittedly mischief filled mood this morning, I am not saying there is no truly great Northern, but thats judging it against other Northern or even other soul dance genres, as some people on here are. but not when judged agains Just Soul.......

Food for thought.

Couldn't agree more. If a soul record, which doesn't qualify as Northern is something something exotic - and this thread implicits, that soul music should be devided into northern and soul muisc in general, then there's really nothing left to talk about then nostalgia. Hey, there's a lot more out there....

Edited by docfish
Social source share

AGREE WITH NEW YORK CITY TOO THE FIRST TIME I'D COME ACROSS LUTHER VANDROSS' VOICE

Are you not thinking of New York City Band that Luther recorded with - "Got To Have Your Body" gets the odd play now & again - it is from a film soundtrack.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Couldn't agree more. If a soul record, which doesn't qualify as Northern is something something exotic - and this thread implicits, that soul music should be devided into northern and soul muisc in general, then there's really nothing left to talk about then nostalgia. Hey, there's a lot more out there....

why try and diss the thread? its an innocent enough topic ffs. just asking folk their favourite tunes that have nowt to do with rare or northern soul. of course there's a divide between the genres ..its not rocket science to notice the fact. this is SOUL SOURCE not northern or rare soul source. so again , what are your favourite non northern or rare soul records?

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

RESPECT YOURSELF / THE STAPLE SINGERS, ALSO ANYTHING BY DONNY HATHAWAY.

great tune by the staples....also like if your ready come go with me and long walk to d.c.

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Dramatics - What You See Is What You Get

Timmy Thomas - Why Cant We Live Together

Idris Muhammed - Could Heaven Be Like This

Ann Peables - I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Dramatics - What You See Is What You Get

Timmy Thomas - Why Cant We Live Together

Idris Muhammed - Could Heaven Be Like This

Ann Peables - I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down

used to play idris muhammed off the boogie to the top album 1978 love i can't stand the rain by ann peebles:thumbsup: :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

Social source share

You Better Move On - Arthur Alexander

It's Not the Spotlight - Bobby Bland

Make Me Feel - Chris Walker

Woman's Got Soul - The Impressions

Give it Everything - Al Green

Hercules - Aaron Neville

Bring the Boys Home - Freda Payne

Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights) - Little Walter

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall - The Staple Singers

Johannesburg - Gil Scott Heron

Dirty Laundry - Curtis Mayfield