Bobby Valentin

Corbett80

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Out of interest, what is the going rate for an original gold label copy of Bobby's Fania LP featuring 'Use it...'?

ph34r.gif

The LP is very sought after too .... as is the Bad Breath LP ... with soul collectors and also funk and mod/jazz/latin guys ... you'll do well to get good copies on ebay for less than $250-300 US

Social source share

Johnny Colon "You gotta love me" is a top Latin 45 that hardly ever turns up (a truly RARE record) but when it does, surprisingly doesn't reach very high prices (40 UKP in excess). Same with "Bad breath" (around 100 UKP). Collectors are only after "Use it before you lose it" and in the last times "Geronimo".

Social source share

The LP is very sought after too .... as is the Bad Breath LP ... with soul collectors and also funk and mod/jazz/latin guys ... you'll do well to get good copies on ebay for less than $250-300 US

Must admit I have both of those on gold label first presses...along with loadsa other Boogaloo LPs on Cotique, Allegre etc :yes:

Social source share

This is currently listed on Ebay , seller in Venezuala , buy it now for £38.00, BEWARE .........

BOBBY VALENTIN LET'S TURN ON... SALSA BOOG LP VENEZUELA

The sale shows the ORIGINAL sleeve BUT up until the other day , shows a DIFFERENT album record ,I emailed the seller and pointed out the problem , he replied saying he did'nt have the album and then removed the record pics ......

:yes:

Social source share

i've put in a folder some of mine more interesting add in latin vibes during this year...hope can be useful :thumbsup:

https://www.divshare....ad/12327263-d27

i've don't put Joey pastrana let's ball probably is quite known or bobby valentine geronimo added few month back on his first issue on palacio and other well known latin track...

let me know!

Whats up with just posting em' up in refo-soul biggrin.gif

Social source share

This is currently listed on Ebay , seller in Venezuala , buy it now for £38.00, BEWARE .........

BOBBY VALENTIN LET'S TURN ON... SALSA BOOG LP VENEZUELA

The sale shows the ORIGINAL sleeve BUT up until the other day , shows a DIFFERENT album record ,I emailed the seller and pointed out the problem , he replied saying he did'nt have the album and then removed the record pics ......

:thumbsup:

The Venezuelan LP has a different label from the USA gold original - it has the palm tree type Fania label and was distibuted by Palacio

this was realeased in the mid 1970s - and is not an easy one to get either.

but it is still a Venezuela original IMO

The "young man with a horn" LP came out at the same time on the same Fania palm tree label - someones got that for sale for 350 dollars on e bay.

I preferer the gold and the clouds label s, but I certainly dont have a problem with the south american issues either.

Social source share

The Venezuelan LP has a different label from the USA gold original - it has the palm tree type Fania label and was distibuted by Palacio

this was realeased in the mid 1970s - and is not an easy one to get either.

but it is still a Venezuela original IMO

The "young man with a horn" LP came out at the same time on the same Fania palm tree label - someones got that for sale for 350 dollars on e bay.

I preferer the gold and the clouds label s, but I certainly dont have a problem with the south american issues either.

That WAS the record shown with the " Lets Turn On " cover :thumbsup:

Social source share

i need a tutorial to put all my track on refosoul...you're right ken :thumbsup:

mine copy of young man with a horn best in boogaloo have the same cover of the fania usa press and a red cover on the vinyl no palm

yea mossy you're right...palacio usually press later (also some years later) all the fania issue for the south american market with the same cover on the vinyl...but for that lp the first pressed was on palacio the fania press for the usa market was made later

Social source share

Well, I for one am pleeeeezed that Bobby has hit that price as it puts Latin Soul/Boogaloo back in the limelight. Funny thing is I had it in my sales box a couple of months ago for a lot less than was sold on John's auction and was told that "I'd never pay that for a record I could have bought for £20 20 years ago". How we laughed.

There's still some cracking Latin bubbling around at great prices if you can find 'em. Here's a few to consider and I reckon any of these could be as big as Bobby or Hector:

Pepe Fernandez - Having Fun

Ray Barretto - New York Soul

Orchestra Harlow - El Exigente

Ray Medina - Head´s Head (not cheap but you can't leave it out)

Freddie and Henchie - Biscuits and Buttermilk

Afro Blues Quintet - La la la la la

Johnny Zamot - I got that feeling

Ray Rodriquez - Oh, that's nice

Gran Combo - Gran Combo's Boogaloo

Widfredo Figuera - Monkey see

Social source share

i need a tutorial to put all my track on refosoul...you're right ken :thumbsup:

mine copy of young man with a horn best in boogaloo have the same cover of the fania usa press and a red cover on the vinyl no palm

yea mossy you're right...palacio usually press later (also some years later) all the fania issue for the south american market with the same cover on the vinyl...but for that lp the first pressed was on palacio the fania press for the usa market was made later

Where did you get this info Alfie? It was recorded in New York and released on Fania first wasn't it?

Social source share

But did you cover it up and call it Fred Knoblock or something equally witty!

Wasn't it Pancho Villa?

I had one (J.Colon) off well known a well known New Jersey dentist, which like most of his sales looked like he'd been sharpening his tools on it!

and Hector Rivera I had most of Martin Koppels stock of this and cleaned up with it at the 100 club when Ady was playing it. (£25 a pop)

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Where did you get this info Alfie? It was recorded in New York and released on Fania first wasn't it?

Hi Dean

i just checked on my vinyl was pressed in caracas but was recorded in new york...probably in the same time or a couple of weeks later fania put it on market...infact the vinyl have a red label palacio...not the usual palm like fania...but in back of label have both logo fania records and palacio one...i think Papito tell me this story i must ask him if he know more details...probably i'm wrong and he want tell me that this palacio press however is an official press maded in the 60's not like the ones maded in the 70's

:thumbsup:

p.s. bought steppin stone compilation great work !!!

Social source share

Ray Rodriguez - Delusion - Alegre

Great soulful latin and getting some serious turntable action

+ Rene Bloch - Watucha - Demarco

WOW :thumbsup:

Delusion of ray Rodriguez is a real Belter...Callum

don't know Rene bloch have his lp on atco...can you put it on our share cd???

Social source share

Hola Mace have you check my last pm???

Hi Alfie, apologies, not seen your p.m. mate, been away on holiday last week so will go check it now.

Gotta disagree with you Alfie, Ray Medina is a geat track.

Though already pretty well known amongst most collectors of latin boogaloo and fetches £400 - £500, definately one to look out if you got deep pockets :thumbsup:

Social source share

is not a critic on the track my man...i know it's a good track very valued and lot of people go for it....i'll only say "for me it's not so special like the others that warren have mentioned...it's not in my want list..." i know if i want my pocket could be very deep :yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

is not a critic on the track my man...i know it's a good track very valued and lot of people go for it....i'll only say "for me it's not so special like the others that warren have mentioned...it's not in my want list..." i know if i want my pocket could be very deep :D:thumbsup:

Hi Alfie, personal taste and all that, and I'm well aware you have deep pockets.

Don't take too much notice of Warren mind, as he isn't 'the full shilling' as we say.

After all, this is the guy who charges guests at his house £1 to use the shower and then gives them a toy mic to DJ with.

Nuff said..... :yes::no:

Social source share

the vinyl have a red label palacio...not the usual palm like fania...but in back of label have both logo fania records and palacio one...

Any chance of a scan?

I've been a Latin music fan a fair few years...had access to the entire Fania, Tico, Cotique, Allegre vaults back in the mid-8T's...needless to say I put in a rather large promo request which was readily supplied! Their (printed) catalogue at that point was wonderful and still contained some cracking titles!

The Venezuelan re-presses (wafer-thin vinyl, but sounded OK) were awash in London during those times too...all the stores had them in quantity (via Sterns?) and I picked up one of everything via Tower, Mr.Bongo, Honest Jons etc, who were all on my round as a Charly rep. I also used to pick up many an original LP on my travels to all the jazz stores all over London/South, taking the Boogaloo as well as the killah jazz-dance big-band titles...love some of Machito's material! I actually had some compilations ready to roll via Charly, but I left the company before they came to fruition...shame! One of my fave memories from these years was a concert we went to with Celia Cruz...she had the 1500 strong audience eating out of her hands, and it really was a sight to see as the crowd swayed to the rhythms like a rolling sea...fabulous!

:lol:

Social source share

sure flynny i can make a photo and make an upload....got an lp of Machito "mucho mucho machito" excellent musician love is style very cool!...also Adolfo Echeverria is an amazing musician got a great boogaloo/tropical track from him..an another one think quite unknown is Primitivo y sus combo mi nuevo boogaloo....really good one!post-8456-074118500 1283595193_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alfie79
Social source share

Guest franky m

Really...not doubting your word as it is a large scene, but oddly enough I am kinda the opposite as I can recall seeing more HectorR for sale than BV during the 8T's! BV was a steady £40/£60, whilst HR was £30!

It's a funny old scene! :ohmy:

Are you sure Dave?, i can remember hearing the Hector R in the stafford era, and finding it very hard to get a copy , i picked one up at the 100 club for £15 and was over the moon , never did see another copy ! , some one had found a very small amount and they sold out rapidly , but the Bobby V (both titles) were still available for some time after that , use it £15 and bad breath £10

Social source share

Are you sure Dave?, i can remember hearing the Hector R in the stafford era, and finding it very hard to get a copy , i picked one up at the 100 club for £15 and was over the moon , never did see another copy ! , some one had found a very small amount and they sold out rapidly , but the Bobby V (both titles) were still available for some time after that , use it £15 and bad breath £10

I think that's the point of this thread, it did turn up about 1988 / 89 in quantity and the Mod - Soul - Jazz scene hoovered them up.

And that is where all the "use it before you loose it" 45 are - in peoples collections

I sold my copys of "use it" and "geronimo" on a mod rally in 1990 for 20 quid, because at that time I was buying things like Freddie Houston "If I had known"

Carl Underwood , the Seven Souls etc etc and had put my Latin stuff in my sales box.

I didn't realise how rare the Latin stuff was.

And I ended up appreciating it more so a few years later and collecting it will a passion again.

But a think that "use it before you loose it" is a 300 quid record .

They are out there in Mods and Jazz fans collections.

Just because 2 people with money in there pockets sent the price up to 900 doesn't mean that much for everyone else with a spare copy.

It was just a fluke in my opinion.

But the interest this has generated in latin / Soul / Boogaloo is priceless !!!!

Social source share

In my experience, yes.

Maybe there was a North / South variation of availability!?

:ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert